IGNORED

RIP Ruth Bader Ginsburg

Audrey2

3 hours ago, GreyhoundFan said:

No surprise, Romney is on Mitch's team:

So much for any nice thoughts I've had about Mitt.  I did have a few.  Wonder how they got to him.

• Upvote 3
  • I Agree 7

8 minutes ago, Dandruff said:

So much for any nice thoughts I've had about Mitt.  I did have a few.  Wonder how they got to him.

Maybe there are pics of him at Epstein's Island.

• Upvote 6

On 9/20/2020 at 2:29 PM, libgirl2 said:

I honestly believe the GOP does not want to end abortion.  It's the carrot the dangle in front of voters every year. They need the issue out there to continue to string along people in hope for it to end. And the SCOTUS will make it up to the states. 

You're right. They have had majorities in Congress and a Repug in the WH several times over the years and they DID NOT outlaw abortion.  Why? They NEED this issue! This is the one single issue they can count on to win over those one-issue voters. Guns won't do it, foreign policy won't do it, even the economy won't do it. But there are many that hate Trump, but will hold their noses and vote for him because of abortion.

Other than appointing pinheads for judges, he really has only paid lip service on the abortion issue. And I think, deep down, he favors it. He used to and he wanted Marla to get one when she was pregnant with Tiffany. But who knows? He changes his tiny mind daily.

• Upvote 18

On 9/19/2020 at 6:14 PM, ignorantobserver said:

This is a really stupid question, but is something like this even likely to end up in front of the Supreme Court ? Is it legally possible ? It's not like they can (I suppose) just pick any case where someone is being accused of criminal activities ? Besides, if my memory is correct, Nixon himself was pardoned immediately by his successor, isn't it likely that the same thing will happen to Trump ?

The justices vote on which cases they will hear. Now with a 2/3 majority, they can choose to hear cases that wouldn't have been considered before. All Trump's lawyers have to do is file appeals - and you know they will!

As far as Nixon's pardon: that was the product of a negotiated deal. If Nixon would resign and not drag the country through an impeachment drama, he would be pardoned by his successor. Nixon, obviously took the deal. Not the same facts here.

• Upvote 7

2 hours ago, Dandruff said:

Truthfully it’s just politically expedient for him.  He represents a very pro-life and religious state. No matter his hatred for Trump, he would never be re-elected if he didn’t help a pro-life judge onto the Supreme Court.  That’s why his constituents elected him, and they’d remember that next time he’s up for a election.

• I Agree 6

On 9/20/2020 at 7:48 PM, thoughtful said:

Obviously, our actions matter most. But a little symbolism can't hurt:

https://dissentpins.com/collections/rbg-collection/products/dissent-collar-pin

Thanks for the site. I ordered a "when there are nine" and a "dissent collar"  pin

• Upvote 5

Respects? We all know he would be dancing on her grave if he could. 

• Upvote 6
  • I Agree 4
  • Thank You 2

Hmmm. Romney’s exact words were “I intend to vote based upon their qualifications”. Maybe he’ll do a John McCain and decide the nominee isn’t qualified? I’m not going to completely give up hope.

• Upvote 5
  • I Agree 1

1 minute ago, Emma said:

Hmmm. Romney’s exact words were “I intend to vote based upon their qualifications”. Maybe he’ll do a John McCain and decide the nominee isn’t qualified? I’m not going to completely give up hope.

He does not have McCain's moral fortitude. For him, his rightwing religiousness rules. Having a rightwing religious fanatic as justice on the SC is precisely what he wants. 

• Upvote 9
  • I Agree 1

Well, I've been thinking about this for days. My sole, utter, and final conclusion is that we're fucked.

• Sad 1
  • I Agree 8

This will get the massive orange panties in a wad:

• Love 9

He's supposedly paying his respects, but he never bows his head and he's constantly fidgeting. 

I love, love, love how the public is chanting "Vote him out!"   :56247976a36a8_Gigglespatgiggle:

• Upvote 8
  • Love 1

Oh, to be a fly on the wall during that tirade...

• Upvote 7

This nimrod is the front runner to take RBG's seat?

• WTF 8

I've been wondering who Trump would put up as his nomination.

You know Ivanka is is his first choice. I'm guessing everyone in the White House is trying to talk him down off that ledge. 

I am absolutely disgusted that the Republicans who had such "noble" sound-bites about how waiting for the next president to be elected was the only patriotic thing to do when Obama was president (and there was 9 months until the election) are now saying the exact opposite only a month and a half out from this election. They are vile, slimy, lying, pathetic creatures and I hope that karma comes back to them.

• Upvote 10

I wish I could have been there: "Noisy protest outside McConnell’s Capitol Hill home over filling Ginsburg seat"

Spoiler

Dozens of protesters marched along the street in front of Senate Majority Leader Mitch McConnell’s home in D.C.’s Stanton Park neighborhood early Thursday morning.

The demonstrators, spurred by the Kentucky Republican’s pledge to move forward with a vote on a nominee to fill the vacancy left by the death of Justice Ruth Bader Ginsburg on the Supreme Court, started playing music and chanting after 7 a.m.

Protesters wearing face masks were seen holding signs reading “I want you to use my words against me” and “hypocrite,” referencing when McConnell declined to act in 2016 on the nomination of Merrick Garland to succeed the late Justice Antonin Scalia.

The morning protest was organized by Sunrise DC, Long Live Go Go and Shut Down DC ahead of President Donald Trump’s Saturday announcement of his choice for a Supreme Court nominee. Earlier this week, protesters gathered outside Sen. Lindsey Graham’s D.C. home.

The protests happened only blocks away from where Ginsburg is being remembered Thursday as she lies in repose at the Supreme Court.

Ginsburg told her granddaughter she wanted her replacement to be appointed by the next president, NPR reported. “My most fervent wish is that I will not be replaced until a new president is installed,” she dictated to granddaughter Clara Spera days before her death.

image.png.e0a51488db3a456f10caa8e48baf5e77.png

image.png.c93ede0b45dc44108a763e78e46590c5.png

• Upvote 8

On 9/23/2020 at 11:25 AM, GreyhoundFan said:

Totally on brand for teddy:

Ted Cruz is a slimeball, and can always be counted on to behave like one.  He is the reason I finally realized I am not really a Republican, despite having been raised as one.  I despise him every bit as much as I despise McConnell and Trump.  He caused the first government shutdown over funding the federal government in 2013, to try and force defunding of the ACA Obamacare.  The shutdown caused me to miss a long-planned bucket list trip to visit Mesa Verde in Colorado.  The trip went forward but Mesa Verde and all other National Parks were closed and I never got there.  It sounds like a small thing, but for me it was not, and it caused me to question everything I thought I believed about the role of government.  I will never forgive him for causing me to miss out on seeing Mesa Verde, but I am glad I left the Republican Party, I feel much more aligned with my personal values.

• Upvote 11

So very poignant. I wish I could have been there.

• Love 10

I doubt RBG would have wanted McCarthy at her memorial service:

image.png.2d6fe570ebd174fb607452a84e6f5d84.png

• Disgust 9
  • WTF 1

I’ve watched a lot of the old JFK assassination coverage on YouTube.  When JFK’s body was lying in state, they kept the Capitol open as long as people stood in line.  It wouldn’t surprise me a bit if they did the same for RBG. 

• I Agree 4

5 hours ago, Becky said:

It sounds like a small thing, but for me it was not, and it caused me to question everything I thought I believed about the role of government.

It doesn't matter what causes anyone to question their beliefs, be it great or small. It's the fact that your critical thinking skills are applied. That your eyes are opened to facts, not ingrained beliefs.

I applaud anyone who has the guts to stop blindly following, and daring to ask that basic, yet provocative question: why?

• Upvote 11
  • I Agree 1

2 hours ago, GreyhoundFan said:

I doubt RBG would have wanted McCarthy at her memorial service:

image.png.2d6fe570ebd174fb607452a84e6f5d84.png

And something I also heard today, RBG is also the first Jew to lie in state at the Capitol.

• Upvote 9

45 minutes ago, eport said:

And something I also heard today, RBG is also the first Jew to lie in state at the Capitol.

Brandeis didn't lie in state? Interesting. TIL

• Upvote 2