IGNORED

RIP Ruth Bader Ginsburg

Audrey2

I hope the last few months have been enough for enough republicans to take their heads out of their asses long enough to wait until after the election and I hope the orange asshole loses by the greatest margin ever. I’m truly scared for the state of the country. 

• Upvote 4
  • I Agree 6

1 hour ago, milkteeth said:

Pointing out the hypocrisy of another's actions only shames decent people. McConnell and the rest will delight in getting one over on the Democrats and everyone else in this country who isn't in the 1%. 

I agree it won't shame McConnell et al, I just hope it possibly sways some of the remaining undecideds who were taken in by the "Biden has dementia and Trump is good for the economy" narrative. I think this is also going to fire up the Democratic base in a big way for November 3rd. The Dems' biggest hurdle is always just getting people to come out and vote. 

We may also get someone more like Kavanaugh who shows signs of being a swing justice. I realize that is cold comfort and still a sign to how rightward the court is moving, but it's probably the best anyone not a fan of Trump or modern Republican populism can hope for at this point. 

Edited by nausicaa
  • Upvote 5
  • Sad 1

1 hour ago, GreyhoundFan said:

Sadly, we need three other Rs who would follow Murkowski:

image.png.ada7d8604feac62e12a63a533aa2e30a.png

Word out of Romney's camp is he will follow suit. And possibly Collins. 

• Upvote 7

1 hour ago, browngrl said:

Mark my words: the republicans will have a nominee on the table ASAP and they will ram that person through before the election. Please vote Trump out Americans. Limit his damage to the shambles that is here now.

edit: and here we go - Moscow Mitch has already said he'll have a vote on a candidate for her spot on the Supreme Court. I thought he might wait till the funeral - at least officially 

They really destroyed the Republican party. 

• Upvote 3
  • I Agree 12

6 minutes ago, nausicaa said:

Word out of Romney's camp is he will follow suit. And possibly Collins. 

I hate to be negative, but we've hoped Collins would do things before. She might hint that she'll consider it, but she has the spine of a jellyfish.

• Upvote 7
  • I Agree 5

Most of all - RIP RBG.

But also, RIP America the Representative Democracy. Say hello to America the Theocracy.

And lastly,

Spoiler

FFFFFFFFFFFFFUUUUUUUUUUUCCCCCCCCCCKKKKKKKKKK 2020

• Upvote 9
  • I Agree 7

2 minutes ago, Audrey2 said:

I hate to be negative, but we've hoped Collins would do things before. She might hint that she'll consider it, but she has the spine of a jellyfish.

Agree on the spine of a jellyfish, but I'm trying to grab onto anything at this point. And Romney and Murkowski might embolden her. 

Plus she's polling below 50% in Maine and so she may try to throw some Hail Mary passes to the left to save her seat. 

• Upvote 6
  • I Agree 2
  • Thank You 1

My heart is aching; I feel like there's always been some hope until now. RIP RBG. May your memory be a blessing.

• Upvote 13

If I could I'd be a Canadian or Australian tomorrow.  I've said this before but when I get to the hearafter my first question for my ancestors is going to be what the FUCK were you thinking emigrating to this country and I'm going to let them know how much they fucked their descendants by moving here.

• Upvote 4

I don’t post much here these days but hearing this news made me want to check in with my feminist friends. This is such a blow to my morale. Sending hugs and love to all of you. 

• Love 16

I'm trying hard not to panic. I don't like that our only hope is for republican senators to act like decent human beings.

• Upvote 5
  • I Agree 16

She's cancer-free and should be celebrating our (Jewish) new year in heaven.

Such a devastating loss, though.

Hope Twitler and his evil minions find themselves thwarted, at every turn, by forces that turn out to be utterly beyond their reach.

• Upvote 11
  • Rufus Bless 1
  • I Agree 2
  • Love 2

My commiserations to RBG’s family and friends. My heart goes out to them. I hope they find all the strength they need to mourn the loss of their loved one. I imagine that will be quite difficult with all of America focussed on her replacement, and the disgusting glee from the right at her passing bursting from their screens in the coming weeks. 

• Upvote 19
  • I Agree 2

My condolences to all American citizens on this thread. I am not well-versed in US politics, but even I knew who Ms Bader Ginsburg was and why she was admired so much as a feminist and judge. I just read her obituary - I had no idea she had been fighting different types of cancer for so long. It sounds like she was hanging on by sheer force of will for the last few years. I hope that her replacement will be faithful to the constitution, not to partisan politics.

(On a lighter note : allow me to remind you that president Macron invited disappointed Americans to come to France a few years ago ! It's nice over her. Good food, wine, affordable childcare, good healthcare for women...)

• Upvote 14
  • Thank You 7

RIP RBG.

My heart aches for her family and for you all, her chosen family. She stuck to a high demanding job when she could have enjoyed retirement and she did it for you, because she believed you deserved it.

As an outsider I don't believe any R senators will oppose Mitch with the exception of Romney. He's the only one who has actually shown that he can actually defy tRump on something meaningful, all the others have always talked big then held their nose and in the end sided with Mitch.

Republicans desperately need the SCOTUS if they plan to contest the elections. And a conservative SCOTUS is an important insurance in case of a very possibile major political shift.

I just hope that should Mitch try to ram through an objectionable nominee this will unite more leftists and radicals in backing Biden-Harris along with centrists and moderates.

• Upvote 7
  • I Agree 1
  • Thank You 6
  • Love 1

5 hours ago, Audrey2 said:

Sadly, I think Donald and Mitch will push through the biggest dick they can find, figuratively and possibly literally, too. (I'm not sure that they would nominate a woman.)

Perhaps the choice may be some one [woman] ideologically aligned with the radical views of the Republican party, and the religious right.  They can then scream from the rafters, we nominated a woman!  Trump will sign-off on whom he is given as a choice. The Federalist Society, the powerful groups that represent the politics of the religious right, they will certainly choose the next Justice, just as they seated the last two Justices, as we know, Trump is their very effective tool.   

Think in terms of Judge Amy Coney Barrett, or the many potential nominees that share her dogma.  We are f'ing screwed on this one.

https://www.politico.com/story/2018/07/09/amy-coney-barrett-who-is-she-bio-facts-background-and-political-views-703347

Judge Amy Coney Barrett, 46, is one of President Donald Trump’s finalists to fill the Supreme Court seat being vacated by retiring Justice Anthony Kennedy.

A superstar among the religious right, Barrett would be the fifth woman to serve on the court and the youngest justice confirmed since Clarence Thomas was elevated to the Court at age 43 in 1991.

• Upvote 5

10 minutes ago, ignorantobserver said:

On a lighter note : allow me to remind you that president Macron invited disappointed Americans to come to France a few years ago ! It's nice over her. Good food, wine, affordable childcare, good healthcare for women...

About this I was thinking that Hitler and Mussolini prompted our best scientists and intellectuals to flee to the US (seriously there were so many, from Einstein to Fermi and many other less known) Twitler may be returning the favour.

• Upvote 8
  • Sad 3

10 hours ago, milkteeth said:

Pointing out the hypocrisy of another's actions only shames decent people. McConnell and the rest will delight in getting one over on the Democrats and everyone else in this country who isn't in the 1%. 

Sadly, I couldn't agree with this more.  The turtleman will always have an excuse as to why it is so important to have a replacement for her spot on the court, even though he held up procedures for a year in 2016.  He has no decency, but then, not too many of them in  Congress do.  I shudder to think who Trump will nominate this time, judging by his pick last time.  

6 hours ago, Audrey2 said:

At this point, I'm expecting the Yellowstone hot spot supervolcano to blow, followed by an alien invasion this year.

I have to laugh, or I'd cry.  Nothing at this point would phaze me, I think.

• Upvote 8

6 hours ago, Audrey2 said:

At this point, I'm expecting the Yellowstone hot spot supervolcano to blow, followed by an alien invasion this year.

At this point I would welcome Yellowstone to erupt.

• Upvote 4

10 hours ago, nvmbr02 said:

Sadly, I think America died 4 years ago. 

Exactly.  Four years.  That's all it has taken, four years, to turn this country backward generations.  And now, with the Supreme Court stacked, it will take generations to undo the damage. 

Vote, people.  Get everyone you know to get out and vote.  Our only hope is to take the executive and legislative branches.  

I don't know how to process this anymore, today I just want to hide in a hole and not come out.  I am mourning- for RBG, a true and courageous hero and a role model, but also for the country I thought I knew. 

Edited by Becky
  • Upvote 10
  • I Agree 4
  • Love 3