• Emerald
  • Chocolate
  • Charcoal
GreyhoundFan

2020 Presidential Election 2: The Primaries are upon us

Wine time!
Maggie Mae
4 minutes ago, AmericanRose said:

If Twitter is liberal, we're in trouble.

Personally, I think Dems lost 2016 because they took it for granted.

I think Hillary ran kind of a bad campaign (her slogan and stickers were widely mocked and somehow also boring), and the DNC underestimated/miscalculated the rustbelt/changing demographics in the states that flipped.  Combining that with Russian influence, the spread of misinformation, and other factors, it's easy for me to see how/why she was the wrong candidate at that time. Not that she was incapable of being president or that she wasn't a thousand times more qualified, but there were a billion and one factors that go into why she lost. I just hope that the DNC has hired the best researchers, best field agents, best communications teams, and team overall this time to get the right message to the right people. 

41 minutes ago, Destiny said:

I hate the damn mailers in general. I got one from a trump approved republican the other day and I’m just sitting here going, friend, I’m a registered Democrat, and I dropped off my ballot last week. What are you doing with your money?

We have some very bizarre local mailers so I have a (very)small affinity for them. Plus I work in comms/design that kind of thing so I always look at them and then also toss them into the kindling pile. I occasionally photograph the weirdest ones and save them in a folder to never look at again. 

nausicaa
1 hour ago, AmericanRose said:

Personally, I think Dems lost 2016 because they took it for granted.

Yes, voter turnout was very low. I think everyone assumed HRC would win in a landslide and so less dedicated voters just didn't show up. She was also just not a very inspirational candidate, tbh, especially as compared to the Obama zeitgeist in 2008. 

However, that's been a longtime problem for Dems. For several demographic reasons, Republicans are just better at turning out to vote. 

Edited by nausicaa

nausicaa
1 hour ago, AmericanRose said:

If Twitter is liberal, we're in trouble.

There is 100% a liberal Twitter bubble one can ensconce oneself in if one wishes. That's not to say all of Twitter is liberal, but I know a lot of progressives who have created self-imposed echo chambers on there (obviously there are conservative/MAGA/white nationalist/incel ones too).

If users aren't careful, Twitter can definitely skew perceptions of the major issues people care about and where the Overton window is in general society. 

38 minutes ago, Maggie Mae said:

I think Hillary ran kind of a bad campaign (her slogan and stickers were widely mocked and somehow also boring), and the DNC underestimated/miscalculated the rustbelt/changing demographics in the states that flipped. 

She's always been a lousy campaigner. I remember even Chris Matthews admitting that in the run up to 2016. 

I am still stunned she didn't even set foot in Wisconsin. WI and Michigan state officials were literally banned from speaking to the DNC HQ in D.C. How did the Obama campaign do such a better job at this when the Clintons have so much money and clout within the DNC?

If you want to tear your hair out, reading this'll do it:

https://www.politico.com/story/2016/12/michigan-hillary-clinton-trump-232547

Edited by nausicaa

Smee
11 hours ago, nausicaa said:

There is 100% a liberal Twitter bubble one can ensconce oneself in if one wishes. That's not to say all of Twitter is liberal, but I know a lot of progressives who have created self-imposed echo chambers on there (obviously there are conservative/MAGA/white nationalist/incel ones too).

If users aren't careful, Twitter can definitely skew perceptions of the major issues people care about and where the Overton window is in general society. 

Social media is a terrible place to get news in general. I remember some researchers did like a “red feed blue feed” interactive of how different Facebook accounts look based on how targeted advertising works, sharing sites and memes and articles with likeminded friends, and the echo chambers that are created by that. I recently watched The Great Hack on Netflix, about the Cambridge Analytica scandal. Holy cow the ways they used social media and data from social media to manipulate people!