IGNORED

Pence 2: Couch Surfing With Mother

GreyhoundFan

Does Pence really think he has a plausible future in politics or a media interest? The Trumpsters despise him and the rest of us see him as a weak, spineless, conviction less oddball bordering on creepy. 

• Upvote 8
  • I Agree 5

37 minutes ago, SassyPants said:

Does Pence really think he has a plausible future in politics or a media interest? The Trumpsters despise him and the rest of us see him as a weak, spineless, conviction less oddball bordering on creepy. 

The cognitive dissonance runs strongly in this one. He has convinced himself that it is his deity's will that he becomes president, and therefore it shall happen, no matter what.

This is the danger of true religious fervor. And I believe that Pence is a real zealot, not just playing one for the magaa crowd. He actually believes what he preaches.

• Upvote 10

Mike, they literally tried to kill you. They aren't going to vote for you. 

He truly is delusional. Right up there with Trump. 

• Upvote 5
  • I Agree 9

His political life was sliding downhill fast when Trump picked him for VP.  I think he started believing that he'd finally have a chance to be president or at least be politically significant.  He knows the only chance he has is to curry favor with the right wing.  Maybe he thinks they'll bring him on Fox or OAN as a senior statesman and give him a salary.   He's like Abbot and DeSantis -- their only future rests with the rightwingers.

• Upvote 7

On 10/6/2021 at 12:06 PM, formergothardite said:

Mike, they literally tried to kill you. They aren't going to vote for you. 

I’m positive that there are more than a few RWNJs out there eager to “finish the job.”

• Upvote 4
  • I Agree 2

6 hours ago, smittykins said:

I’m positive that there are more than a few RWNJs out there eager to “finish the job.”

I'm surprised they haven't tried yet.

• I Agree 3

• 3 weeks later...
1 hour ago, Cartmann99 said:

He's making the rounds.

Mandates like the one Fox news has for it's employees?

• Upvote 5
  • I Agree 7

• 2 weeks later...
On 10/6/2021 at 11:06 AM, formergothardite said:

Mike, they literally tried to kill you.

Came across this twitter thread today; stunning if accurate.  @MuellerSheWrote's sourc(es) is/are anonymous, but she's good about facts and this has been alluded to by Colbert and others. 

Unroll of twitter thread here for non twitterati. 

I mean, holy schmoley!  If true, heads need to roll.  And F**k Pence! for going along with all of this and never standing up for himself for what insurrectionists and Trump and his mob tried to do to him.  What The Actual F**k is wrong with Pence, and I mean that as a serious question. 

The digital record would be very easy to check to find out who logged on to deactivate badges. I really hope it's NOT one of the several guys who took their own lives. 

• Upvote 5
  • WTF 2
  • Thank You 8

1 hour ago, Howl said:

Came across this twitter thread today; stunning if accurate.  @MuellerSheWrote's sourc(es) is/are anonymous, but she's good about facts and this has been alluded to by Colbert and others. 

Unroll of twitter thread here for non twitterati. 

I mean, holy schmoley!  If true, heads need to roll.  And F**k Pence! for going along with all of this and never standing up for himself for what insurrectionists and Trump and his mob tried to do to him.  What The Actual F**k is wrong with Pence, and I mean that as a serious question. 

The digital record would be very easy to check to find out who logged on to deactivate badges. I really hope it's NOT one of the several guys who took their own lives. 

I came across this earlier today on Twitter.  There are disagreements with a couple of people who said they didn't think the badges being deactivated during the riot was realistic.  Honestly, even if the part about badges is incorrect, the rest of it is full out sedition.  Crowds were organized and bussed in.  Tours were given beforehand and some people seemed to know where all the offices were.  Police were kept at inadequate levels.  Military was not allowed for several hours to come in.  The panic buttons were deactivated.  Merch was produced for this specific occasion.  There was talk of sealing reps in a hall and gassing them.  Most of all, Trump was never moved and didn't seem to be in any danger.  If they had gotten to Pence and Pelosi, Trump could have declared martial law and stopped the electoral vote for who knows how long.  The next in line were Grassley and Pompeo and they wouldn't have stopped him.  This was a coup.

• Upvote 11
  • Disgust 1
  • I Agree 4

12 hours ago, Xan said:

There are disagreements with a couple of people who said they didn't think the badges being deactivated during the riot was realistic. 

I'm trying to find a time line of WHEN, exactly, Pence was stranded on a loading dock in an underground parking garage with his family and staff.  

Jonathan Karl reported this in his upcoming book, and discussed it with Stephen Colbert on Monday on The Late Show.

From Newsweek

Spoiler

Images captured during the January 6 riot showed former Vice President Mike Pence hiding in an underground parking garage, according to the author of a book about the events surrounding the incidents at the Capitol.

ABC News chief Washington correspondent Jonathan Karl said while researching his book, he found out that Pence had been with an official White House photographer during the hours of the riot carried out by supporters of ex-President Donald Trump...

...Promoting his upcoming book, Betrayal: The Final Act of the Trump Show, Karl told The Late Show with Stephen Colbert on Monday that he saw "all of the photographs" that had been taken of Pence over a period of around five hours as he and his family escaped to safety.

"It is wild to see that he was in a loading dock in an underground parking garage beneath the Capitol complex," he said, adding that there was "no place to sit, no desk, no chairs, nothing."

As my best friend says, "More will be revealed!" 

F**king Pence knows so much, enough to put Trump away for life, and yet he's zipped up tight. 

Pence clearly understood the implications of his role for that day and thankfully carried through.  But he also KNEW on that day that forces were aligned against him and his life and the lives of his family were in profound danger.  

Edited by Howl
  • Upvote 2
  • Thank You 10

18 hours ago, Howl said:

But he also KNEW on that day that forces were aligned against him and his life and the lives of his family were in profound danger. 

For the life of me I will never understand how anyone could knowingly put the lives of his wife and family in danger.

Why didn’t he tell them to stay at home that day? It's not like they actually needed to be there. At the very least he should have stopped his children from coming. 

• Upvote 3
  • I Agree 9

7 hours ago, fraurosena said:

For the life of me I will never understand how anyone could knowingly put the lives of his wife and family in danger.

Why didn’t he tell them to stay at home that day? It's not like they actually needed to be there. At the very least he should have stopped his children from coming. 

Maybe he was hoping having them there would protect him from an angry mob? Very cowardly, if so.

• Upvote 7

I might be leaning a bit too charitable, but I kind of wonder if he thought having his family there would be safer than having them NOT be there. If he was wary enough to refuse to get in a car driven by the Secret Service, he might have thought that the supposedly well-protected Capitol with cameras, guards, and a large number of people inside with them might have been the safest place to be.

I mean these people were chanting "hang Mike Pence" and beating up cops. What would have stopped them from going after his family as hostages or trying to firebomb his home? They have secret service protection, sure, but if he didn't trust THEM...

I personally would have put them on a flight to anywhere. If ever there was a time to flee to a resort in Cancun, that was it.

Frankly I'm glad these insurrectionist morons are as inept as they are and their plans were as slipshod as they were. They are dangerous and anti-American and horrible, and they had planned ahead, but it could have been so much worse. 

• Upvote 10
  • I Agree 3

I honestly believe that the traitors were counting on the military to be on their side. If the military had made another choice than they did, the insurrection would have succeeded. The mob was supposed to be the spark that set off the actual coup, with the military stepping in after them to finish it off.

The US crawled through the eye of the needle that day...

• Upvote 7
  • I Agree 4

1 hour ago, fraurosena said:

I honestly believe that the traitors were counting on the military to be on their side. If the military had made another choice than they did, the insurrection would have succeeded. The mob was supposed to be the spark that set off the actual coup, with the military stepping in after them to finish it off.

The US crawled through the eye of the needle that day...

I remember reading somewhere that Trump wanted troops to be allowed to attend his speech.  Some higher up military brass vetoed it.  I think Trump's intention was to have the mob swarm the Capitol and be assisted by the military.  He probably thought that all the soldiers were on his side because he's that sort of narcissist.  

Yeah, we're lucky that it wasn't worse.

• Upvote 8

I'm really wanting to see a timeline of what was going on at the capital relative to what time Pence was on the loading dock in the underground garage and when and how he got there.  

In normal times, someone like Pence would absolutely bring his family to witness his largely ceremonial role certifying the electoral vote.  That he did bring his family, leads me to believe that he had no idea about the shit that was going to go down that day and that his life would be in danger.  

Edited by Howl
  • Upvote 3
  • I Agree 1

22 minutes ago, Howl said:

I'm really wanting to see a timeline of what was going on at the capital relative to what time Pence was on the loading dock in the underground garage and when and how he got there.  

In normal times, someone like Pence would absolutely bring his family to witness his largely ceremonial role certifying the electoral vote.  That he did bring his family, leads me to believe that he had no idea about the shit that was going to go down that day and that his life would be in danger.  

I know he always played along with anything Trump wanted but I don't think he had any idea about how things would turn out that day.  Trump only told him what he wanted to tell him.  I think Corey Lewandowski, Michael Flynn, Peter Navarro, Rudy Giuliani, and the Trump offspring were involved in planning.  It also has the smell of Stephen Miller about it.  

I think Pence brought along his family to see one of the only historic things he got to do.  When it all went south, they ended up on that loading dock wondering why Trump abandoned them.  I imagine they figured out pretty quickly how expendable they were to Trump.  The only reason he hasn't blabbed about it is that his only hope of future employment (and safety) hinges on remaining loyal.

• Upvote 7

• 2 months later...

Mikey penned an op-ed in the Washington Post. My head hurts from shaking it: "Jan. 6 was a tragedy. Busting the filibuster would be, too."

Now that the anniversary of Jan. 6 has come and gone, some of us who lived through that tragic day in 2021 are getting a clearer picture of what was and is at stake. On Jan. 6, an angry mob ransacked the Capitol, largely to try to get Congress and me, as the president of the Senate, to use federal authority to overturn results of the presidential election that had been certified by all 50 states.

Lives were lost and many were injured, but thanks to the selfless and courageous work of law enforcement, the Capitol was secured, and Congress was able to reconvene the very same day and complete its work under the Constitution and laws of the United States.

In the year since that fateful day, states across the country have enacted measures to try to restore confidence in the integrity of our elections while ensuring access to voting for every American. Georgia, Arizona and Texas have led the way with common-sense reforms, such as requiring verifiable identification on absentee ballots and using cameras to record ballot processing.

Despite this steady progress of state-based reforms, now come President Biden and Senate Democrats with plans to use the memory of Jan. 6 to attempt another federal power grab over our state elections and drive a wedge further into our divided nation.

Their plan to end the filibuster to allow Democrats to pass a bill nationalizing our elections would offend the Founders’ intention that states conduct elections just as much as what some of our most ardent supporters would have had me do one year ago.

Under the Constitution, elections are largely determined at the state level, not by Congress — a principle I upheld on Jan. 6 without compromise. The only role of Congress with respect to the electoral college is to “open, present and record” votes submitted and certified by the states. No more, no less. The notion that Congress would break the filibuster rule to pass a law equaling a wholesale takeover of elections by the federal government is inconsistent with our nation’s history and an affront to our Constitution’s structure.

Democrats in Congress don’t like the way many states have governed over the past year. In fact, Senate Majority Leader Charles E. Schumer (D-N.Y.) recently compared Republican state officials to “violent insurrectionists" who stormed the Capitol because they had the audacity to pass legislation designed to eliminate voter fraud.

Biden and the Democrats’ plan advancing in Congress would massively increase opportunities for election fraud, further erode confidence in our elections and deliver an irreversible victory for the radical left.

The plan would mandate the most questionable and abuse-prone election rules nationwide, while banning common-sense measures to detect, deter and prosecute election fraud.

For example, states would be forced to adopt universal mail-in ballots, to provide same-day voter registration, online voter registration, easier voter registration through motor vehicle department offices and a minimum 15 days of early voting. Duplicate voter registration records would abound, states’ voter-ID requirements would be dramatically weakened, and anyone, including undocumented people, who simply signed a sworn written statement claiming to be eligible to vote would be permitted to do so. The opportunities for voter fraud would explode.

States would also be required to count every mail-in vote that arrives up to seven days after Election Day. Ballot harvesting — wherein which paid political operatives collect absentee ballots from places such as nursing homes — would be legal nationwide, exposing our most vulnerable voters to coercion and increasing the risk that their ballots would be tampered with.

Our Founders were deeply suspicious of consolidated power in the nation’s capital. They also were rightly concerned with foreign interference if presidential elections were governed by or decided in the capital. Those were among the reasons the constitutional convention settled on state-based elections and limited the role of the federal government in the election of the nation’s leaders.

Jan. 6 was a dark day in the history of our nation that was overcome by the courage of our Capitol Hill police and the willingness of the elected representatives of the American people in both parties to keep their oaths and uphold a constitutional framework that has been the bulwark of the freest and most prosperous nation in history.

With this anniversary passed, I call on my former colleagues in the Senate to do as you did before: Uphold the right of states to conduct and certify elections. Reject this latest attempt to give Washington the power to decide how the United States’ elections are run. And keep the oath you made before God and the American people to support and defend the Constitution.

• Thank You 7

12 hours ago, GreyhoundFan said:

Mikey penned an op-ed in the Washington Post. My head hurts from shaking it: "Jan. 6 was a tragedy. Busting the filibuster would be, too."

I don't get why WaPo would even want to publish a op-ed by Pence, the man wo sold his soul to Trump and aided and abetted him while he was in office. His four year long sickening sychophancy and abject obeisance are not mitigated by his refusal to comply with the coup. He doesn't hold any appeal to either the Dems because of the former, or the GOP because of the latter.

He is delusional if he thinks he has any political clout-- or future. So why would anyone be interested in his opinion?

Edited by fraurosena
Typo
  • I Agree 5

6 hours ago, fraurosena said:

I don't get why WaPo would even want to publish a op-ed by Pence, the man wo sold his soul to Trump and aided and abetted him while he was in office. His four year long sickening sychophancy and abject obeisance are not mitigated by his refusal to comply with the coup. He doesn't hold any appeal to either the Dems because of the former, or the GOP because of the latter.

He is delusional if he thinks he has any political clout-- or future. So why would anyone be interested in his opinion?

They often publish op-eds from significant political figures. I doubt the majority of their readers agree with Mikey. In fact, I'm sure his dumb op-ed just further cements many readers' low opinion of him.

I agree that the stain of his sycophantic behavior will probably never wash out. I don't think he understands that it is increasingly unlikely that he will ever be the repuglikan nominee for president.

• Upvote 6
  • Thank You 1

• 3 weeks later...

The Pence rehab tour is in full swing.  Former Pence aide Marc Short was on Meet the Press this morning, doing some spin on a few things and how Pence really did mention that he thought the election was totes legit a few times in the past year.  And  why Pence supported Trump because of all the fabulous Trump policies and achievements!  Border! Immigration! Immigration! Border! And those other things. 

But a few people are wondering (like @Bill43111 on twitter), when Pence called Dan Quayle for advice, why didn't Dan Quayle contact the FBI STAT and notify them that an attempted coup was underway?

Unrolli of the whole cannoli here: Why didn't Quayle call the FBI?

So, the thing is, Pence really didn't know if what he was being asked to do was legit or massively illegal:  During their conversation, Quayle said Pence had no wiggle room and told him to certify the election results. “Mike, you have no flexibility on this. None. Zero. Forget it. Put it away,” Quayle told him.
“I know, that’s what I’ve been trying to tell Trump,” 

Pence responded. “But he really thinks he can. And there are other guys in there saying I’ve got this power.

Quotes are from this Rolling Stone article (probably behind a paywall)  noted in the Twitter thread:   Pence Had to Ask Dan Quayle If American Democracy Should Continue   The former vice president did the right thing, but it’s terrifying how close we came to autocracy

It's was so close.  SO CLOSE.  

Edited by Howl
  • Upvote 9