IGNORED

Dillards 79: Sex Education on the Fly

Coconut Flan

I think Jill has realised she was failed, when it came to her education and is wanting better for Izzy and Sam, she will always be a Conservative Christian but as she is gradually breaking away from the rules her parents had l have noticed how much happier she looks on social media, Jill looked miserable for a while, if she is finally finding who she is then I'm happy for her. 

I do still fear for the boy's being brought up being against LGBTQ people and wanting to stop abortions but maybe they will some day be exposed to people who make them question that belief. Probably not but they stand more chances at this point than all the others. 

• Upvote 8

Today on IG she has Israel doing math problems. He clearly has zero clue. He is 4 for god ‘s sake. Throw them outside, and encourage them to play. And if you want teach, get creative and use some age appropriate manipulative tools. Good God she has 1960s style workbooks...she needs to do some research on more creative and currently utilized teaching methods. 

• Upvote 9
  • I Agree 2

9 hours ago, acheronbeach said:

I agree that Derick is presenting as less of an asshole, but I don't know why.  My suspicion, just based on the the fact that this change of heart seemed to have happened mostly over the summer, is that his experience at the AG's office has opened his eyes to a wider variety of life experiences.  But who knows?  

I agree with everything that you wrote, and just want to suggest that perhaps Derrick is too busy with law school and his summer position (and side gig with grub hub) to pick fights on Twitter. Being quieter publicly about his terrible qualities doesn’t mean they’ve disappeared. 

• Upvote 17
  • I Agree 4

I thought the Math was too hard for his age. 2 column math isn’t usually introduced till 1st or even second grade. At his age, “learning” should be play. Children are only little once. Let them enjoy it.

Perhaps, this is her way of acknowledging that her education was limited. By pushing her kids to work above level, she is saying “my kids will get an education”. 

I do feel that she knows her education is lacking. She has probably felt cheated. She more than the others, has been exposed to people who have successful careers. Lawyers, politicians, accountants and pastors, didn’t become successful because they were working their jurisdiction from 7-3 and tending to siblings on what others would call “free time”. I do believe Derrick values education, and she wants to prove to him and others that her children are intelligent.

I do see her homeschooling Israel and Sam for a few years. But, I also think by 3rd grade we will see the Dillard children enrolled in a private school. 

• Upvote 8

18 hours ago, acheronbeach said:

Sounds like Dillard fanfic to me.  There's no evidence of this, but it's a fairly detailed story about Derick Dillard's Magical Change of Heart toward Women.  He was once a misogynist... treated his wife like garbage... in rode the heroine of our story, Cathy... the only person who could truly change Derick was his Strong Feminist Mother, who decided after several years of demonstrated assholery by her son, enough was enough... and gave him a come to Jesus moment... and then Derick Dillard was forevermore respectful, kind and egalitarian.  

It doesn't even accord with what we know about Derick and Cathy.  It seems like Jill gets along with Cathy and respects her and vice versa, but that's about it.   We  know that Cathy has been uncritically defensive at criticism of her precious lil' asshole's past behaviour.  We also know that she seems to share his Christian beliefs, and she's the one who raised him with said beliefs.  Hell, as recently as January of this year, we have Derick being a total asshole to Jill about the mouse in the kitchen (and IIRC, not a peep from @cldilla).  Cathy's been around for the whole relationship.  A change of heart four/five-odd years on makes no sense at all. 

I agree that Derick is presenting as less of an asshole, but I don't know why.  My suspicion, just based on the the fact that this change of heart seemed to have happened mostly over the summer, is that his experience at the AG's office has opened his eyes to a wider variety of life experiences.  But who knows?  

It is an opinion, I stated several times it was an OPINION.  This is a long winded diatribe to mock me for my opinion. I get this is the internet, it isn't my first day, so I'm stating MY OPINION back. Have a nice day. 

• Upvote 9
  • I Agree 1

On 9/24/2019 at 6:01 PM, raspberrymint said:

On the other hand, hateful people with two kids in public school aren't any better than any other type of hateful people.  

The parents may not be, but the kids will be surrounded by other kids of all sorts of backgrounds and are far more likely to grow up to be more tolerant than if home schooled by their incompetent mother at home.

• Upvote 10
  • I Agree 1

Did Jill get her GED? Some of the older kids did. She also passed that midwifery test. Anyone have a link to the Instagram video of the math lesson?

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, AtlanticTug said:

The parents may not be, but the kids will be surrounded by other kids of all sorts of backgrounds and are far more likely to grow up to be more tolerant than if home schooled by their incompetent mother at home.

This reminds me of things I read in some of the former Westboro Baptist Church members' books (since I think someone mentioned WBC earlier in this thread as having sent their kids to publics school?) where the authors talked about public high school and college  and certain peers/teachers and being required to picket things like their own graduations all being part of what triggered early questioning of the church. Interesting stuff. Another former member has a book coming out in Oct, I believe. To be clear, these are all people who were raised in the "church", not those who joined later in life. 

• Upvote 2
  • Thank You 3

8 hours ago, allthegoodnamesrgone said:

It is an opinion, I stated several times it was an OPINION.  This is a long winded diatribe to mock me for my opinion. I get this is the internet, it isn't my first day, so I'm stating MY OPINION back. Have a nice day. 

My opinion is that it's fanfic, which isn't allowed on here.  However, I don't think baseless but harmless conjecture about strangers' lives is worth staff  involvement, even if I find it silly and a little peculiar. 

That said, I recognize I've angered and upset you with my criticism. I'm sorry that I upset you and I genuinely hope you have a better day going forward. 

• Upvote 4
  • Move Along 4

Meh.  I was homeschooled by an asshole and I'm kind, self-educated, more independent of my parents than typical (sadly), and gay.  I never even had the nerve to evangelize growing up, because I always doubted doctrine.

Humans are too diverse as a species to predict thoroughly.  I suspect some of the adult Duggar kids are less like their parents than they appear.  I've never been a Jill fan, her choice in husband solidifying that for now, but she isn't a preprogrammed robot incapable of growth.  You can't literally hardwire other human beings that way.

Edited by raspberrymint
Last sentence
  • Upvote 10
  • Love 7

I just saw on Lauren & Josiah's instagram that Jill wore pants to Lauren's baby shower! That actually really shocked me. I feel like this is the first time I've any of them wear them at a Duggar family function/party. The more I see Jill the more I think she has become super disenchanted with the Duggar way of life and seems to have a IGAF approach to them. She's always likely going to be a conservative Christian but I think all that exposure to the "real world" has opened her eyes a bit.

• Upvote 2

21 minutes ago, LillyP said:

I just saw on Lauren & Josiah's instagram that Jill wore pants to Lauren's baby shower! That actually really shocked me. I feel like this is the first time I've any of them wear them at a Duggar family function/party. The more I see Jill the more I think she has become super disenchanted with the Duggar way of life and seems to have a IGAF approach to them. She's always likely going to be a conservative Christian but I think all that exposure to the "real world" has opened her eyes a bit.

Yes, I think the pants-wearing was intentional and it surprised me too.  Derick and Jill obviously aren't being shunned, but there is a rift there.  I doubt Muffy would have worn pants if everything was hunky dory.  

At this point, there's no evidence that Derick has changed at all.  A more likely scenario was he was told 'if you want a decent job after you graduate, you better STFU on social media'.  And/or he's too busy because he's actually expected to be a school/job-type person. 

I do hope the both of them grow the hell up.

• Upvote 5
  • I Agree 2

I thought Jill has worn pants before to a family gathering, the ugly christmas sweater party.

c09yzmgkhc321.jpg

Edited by CarrotCake
  • Upvote 9
  • Thank You 1

My one girlfriend sells that stuff. Holy hell it's expensive. I love beauty products and can drop a good amount of money at sephora. But damn. She had a party and I bought nothing. It was way out of my price range. 

• Upvote 7

1 minute ago, fluffernutter said:

My one girlfriend sells that stuff. Holy hell it's expensive. I love beauty products and can drop a good amount of money at sephora. But damn. She had a party and I bought nothing. It was way out of my price range. 

The quality-cost ratio in MLMs in general is fucking crazy. Like all the essential oils, get them from some rando shop and you save TENS of dollars. But oh em gee, they have all the buzzwords that mean jack all and have no research behind them.

• Upvote 9
  • I Agree 1

@finnlassie I know everything is marked way way up, but when I have gone to these type of parties, I usually try to support the hostess by buying something. But the Rodan and Fields stuff was so much more than I spend. If I remember right, the cheapest thing was a $70 mascara. I feel like that can't be right. I'm going to go see if I can find a price sheet or something. 

• Upvote 3
  • WTF 5

4 minutes ago, fluffernutter said:

@finnlassie I know everything is marked way way up, but when I have gone to these type of parties, I usually try to support the hostess by buying something. But the Rodan and Fields stuff was so much more than I spend. If I remember right, the cheapest thing was a $70 mascara. I feel like that can't be right. I'm going to go see if I can find a price sheet or something. 

I'm probably gonna sound crude, but don't support the hostess by buying the stuff they shill, because then you're simply giving money to the MLM company and supporting the predatory system.

edit: I've stopped going to these things, I used to go because I wanted to support friends, but now I just don't. Supporting your friends in other ways is much, much better. It's better to give them 20 bucks than buy a 20 dollar product, of which she only gets a fraction of.

Edited by finnlassie
  • Upvote 16
  • I Agree 6
  • Love 5

OK I'm wrong, There were some things in the $30's. Hand treatment and eye cloths. The more expensive stuff is the face care regimens. 

Just now, finnlassie said:

I'm probably gonna sound crude, but don't support the hostess by buying the stuff they shill, because then you're simply giving money to the MLM company and supporting the predatory system.

I get that. I always just feel like I want to support my friend who is hosting the party by showing up and getting something small. Not so much anymore, but maybe ten years ago there were a ton of parties floating around in my circle. Lots of my friends either tried to sell stuff or would have parties to earn stuff. 

• Upvote 6
  • Sad 1

24 minutes ago, fluffernutter said:

I'm down with high end makeup, Urban Decay, Tarte, Too Faced, MAC, Nars, and the most I've ever spent on mascara was $30. An entire palate of UD eye shadows is only $55. That is crazy. 

• Upvote 4
  • I Agree 3

The comment “oh no not MLMs” underneath the photo sums up my feelings...

The only good thing I’ve heard about Rodan + Fields is that the founders are actually proper dermatologists... but it’s still an MLM so *shrug* Ugh.

• Upvote 7

I hate hate hate those "parties" with a passion. The last one I went to was at a birthday party so I really felt like I had to buy something to give the birthday hostess some credit towards her purchase. The sales pitch part is so boring though. Even worse when the hostess doesn't supply booze. I think that's when I started declining invites. 

• Upvote 2
  • Love 4

I was an Avon rep about 12 years ago and that is one of the better ones, I still get emails and texts asking me to rejoin them. I signed up to Scentsy but didn't actually get round to selling it and used all the samples over the last couple of years, I have bought wax from a shop in Glasgow since that is just as good and will buy from a shop opened up in my home town next time, my home town has few shops left so I would rather keep them in business than support MLM's.

A zero waste Facebook group I am part of a few months back put a post saying that they didn't want people recommending MLM products, especially when they are trying to get sells and people got pissy about it. I avoid any of them now, an old work colleague does a couple of them and while I followed her business page on Facebook, I've never bought a thing and won't, she was doing body shop at one point and while I have a couple of their products, I was hardly going to order it from her when their is a big body shop on the street I work in.

• Upvote 3

• Georgiana locked this topic