IGNORED

Dillards 79: Sex Education on the Fly

Coconut Flan

4 hours ago, bella8050 said:

That kind of crap scares me. And I just went down a rabbit hole about food allergies last night. I just put that Jeremy was allergic in quotes cause it's so hard to believe anything with this family. People kept asking him about it on IG and finally he answered. I feel like if people didn't ask the cat never would have been mentioned again. Unless the TLC producers brought it up.

lol for me if it was a choice between Jeremy and Jake the cat (was it jake?) I would pick the cat :) and rehome Jeremy 

• Upvote 8
  • Haha 7
  • I Agree 8
  • Love 1

As a lifelong allergy sufferer, I sympathize with everyone here who has them. It’s the only way of life I’ve ever known ?, so I can’t imagine coming down with them after never having any before. 

On that note, though, I think Jeremy is full of shit and didn’t want to move with the cat and pay an extra rental fee. 

• Upvote 8
  • I Agree 6

@OyToTheVey,  I have really bad reactions to mosquito bites on my hands.  I can't wear my wedding ring anymore because me fingers swell if my hands are bitten.  The only things that help are plunging my hands under a tap running the hottest water I can stand for as long as I can stand, maybe some scratching while the water is running and yep, Windex.  The ammonia/alcohol mixture helps.  My Big Fat Greek Wedding's tip about Windex was not all BS.  

• Upvote 4
  • I Agree 2
  • Love 3

11 hours ago, PennySycamore said:

@OyToTheVey,  I have really bad reactions to mosquito bites on my hands.  I can't wear my wedding ring anymore because me fingers swell if my hands are bitten.  The only things that help are plunging my hands under a tap running the hottest water I can stand for as long as I can stand, maybe some scratching while the water is running and yep, Windex.  The ammonia/alcohol mixture helps.  My Big Fat Greek Wedding's tip about Windex was not all BS.  

@PennySycamore It's gotten really bad lately. I don't know if the mosquitoes have mutated( I might be watching too much Marvel) or my body chemical reaction changed. Yesterday I got bitten and my whole side swelled up so bad that even my leggings were tight. The worst is when I get bit on my face. I need to try Windex. I've done alcohol pads before and that works. Benadryl doesn't! No effect at all from Benadryl. Just a zombie situation after that. 

• Upvote 3
  • Love 5

On 9/16/2019 at 1:06 PM, nickelodeon said:

I think that the Jill-shunning rumors are probably given more credence than they deserve, but it is odd that she’s advertising her car trouble every Sunday morning while the Duggars have a car flipping business that several of their kids are involved in and an obsession with “coming over to help” whenever someone needs a living room decorated or a couch cleaned. Scandalous!!!!

Maybe her family won’t help her since they can’t film it? Awful suggestion, I know. But would that surprise anyone?

• Upvote 2
  • I Agree 3

My friend and cousin both suddenly became lactose intolerant at 27. Bodies change with age.

I can't put my finger on why, but I'm starting to kind of like Joy when I use to think she was one of the more annoying Duggars. I have a feeling that if any of the girls leave fundiedom, it'll be her. She just gives me the same vibes a lot of ex-fundie/ex-Quiverfull bloggers. 

• Upvote 2

14 hours ago, BernRul said:

I actually meant Jill before, not Joy, but now that I think about it, it could actually apply to both of them. 

Edited by BernRul
  • Upvote 2

Derick is one of those people who peak in high school/college and live in that 'glory' the rest of their lives.

Sure, I enjoyed college, but the best times of my life came as an independent adult!  I would love for my kids to carry on my family traditions, but if they don't, then they don't...

• Upvote 20
  • I Agree 8
  • Love 1

It’s funny to me that TLC is pumping up that’s jinger convo with Michelle about wearing pants when Jill wore pants to Lauren’s shower and was standing right next to Michelle.

I kind of enjoy Jill’s idgaf approach to the family right now. I’m definitely reading into it and it sucks that it’s probably mostly because of Derick’s probable conflict. But I still just appreciate that she’s not completely toeing the line.

As much as we say the Duggars are fine with it as long as the new headship approves, it really seems like their plan was for the entire second generation to follow exactly their life example.

• Upvote 23
  • Love 1

2 hours ago, MiddleAgedLady said:

Oh my gosh! Enough with the #legacy Pistol Pete! Poor Israel. 

D72E7653-B7C3-4B29-A1F4-B9791F10CCB4.png

Completely agree, @MiddleAgedLady! And why doesn’t Derick at least sometimes mention that maybe Sam will be Pistol Pete in the future?! Is this a firstborn thing for him or what? Or his nephew, his brother’s son, could carry on the tradition. 

Just now while I was typing, something came to my mind: I can imagine Derick feels like he’s carrying on his late dad’s legacy and wants his children to do the same. It would explain his focus on Israel becoming Pistol Pete III. 

• Upvote 14

At least he is openly promoting the idea that his son can go to a mainstream college. Not even the normal "we never said that they couldn't" double=speak that he is so famous for---he's actually lobbying for it. Point for Derick.

• Upvote 14
  • I Agree 6

17 hours ago, MiddleAgedLady said:

Oh my gosh! Enough with the #legacy Pistol Pete! Poor Israel. 

D72E7653-B7C3-4B29-A1F4-B9791F10CCB4.png

If his wife home schools, I'm not sure those kids can get into college. I'm not talking about actual home schooling. But her education is severely lacking to teach anyone.

• Upvote 14
  • I Agree 9
  • Love 1

1 hour ago, OyToTheVey said:

If his wife home schools, I'm not sure those kids can get into college. I'm not talking about actual home schooling. But her education is severely lacking to teach anyone.

The last thing I read from Jill about home schooling was that she is “currently” home schooling the boys. I read this last week. Israel is still only 4 years old, so in the US, not of actual school age. I believe those boys will go to a brick and mortar school with licensed teachers within a couple of years. I think this is another area where DD will prevail. He is a bright enough man, and he clearly has to know that his wife’s education is quite limited beyond the very basics.

• Upvote 14
  • Rufus Bless 1
  • I Agree 2

On 9/22/2019 at 9:54 AM, BernRul said:

I actually meant Jill before, not Joy, but now that I think about it, it could actually apply to both of them. 

I think Jill has left fundydom, I think her and Derick are living a fundy lite life right now, bordering on your average conservative christian. They are NOT living life by JB rules hence, why they are kept at arms length. I do think Joy & Austin could follow, depending on how Austin grows and stops depending on his father. Teh fact that these two are living in a camper makes me think they are squirreling away as much money as possible as quickly as possible, and I don't think it is to build a debt free house, but perhaps to be able to stand on their own and not have to be beholden to her father or his for anything and make their own rules, finally. Like Jill & Derick are doing now. 

• Upvote 7
  • I Agree 2

7 minutes ago, allthegoodnamesrgone said:

I think Jill has left fundydom, I think her and Derick are living a fundy lite life right now, bordering on your average conservative christian. They are NOT living life by JB rules hence, why they are kept at arms length. I do think Joy & Austin could follow, depending on how Austin grows and stops depending on his father. Teh fact that these two are living in a camper makes me think they are squirreling away as much money as possible as quickly as possible, and I don't think it is to build a debt free house, but perhaps to be able to stand on their own and not have to be beholden to her father or his for anything and make their own rules, finally. Like Jill & Derick are doing now. 

I agree with most of this. I think the Dillards are living his brand of Christianity and are raising the kids more akin to how he was raised, vs Jill’s upbringing. IMO, this is a good thing. The TTH is more a house of cards vs a tin house. We all know that it’s damn near impossible to legally support multiple generations and counting without education, skills, current connections, work ethic, perseverance and many, many jobs. 

• Upvote 8

I agree that they are if anything more fundy lite right now and are living the type of Christianity that Derrick was raised with. I don't think this is a bad thing and do think that as far as their own long term security goes it's a good thing. But other than that I don't really think it's good. 

They seem to for the most part still have a lot of the more damaging and hateful beliefs that they had before just in a more appealing pants wearing nose piercing higher educated package. We have no reason to believe that their beliefs about LGBTQ rights have changed, Derrick hasn't admitted to any contrition for his very public treatment of a transgendered teen, We have no reason to believe that they are no longer supporting Trump, and we all seem confident that Derrick is the head of the household and Jill falls under his "umbrella of protection" and he is the leader based on his being male.

I'm happy that they seem to have some more freedom but right now so much of it still looks like lip stick on a pig. 

• Upvote 23

There comes a point when perhaps Jill or Derek will present as a regular young family while openly having some hateful beliefs (transgender isn't "real," gay marriage should be illegal, abortion should be a crime, etc.) but I mean doesn't A LOT of America think that?

In a lot of places, that is mainstream. You would be perfectly "normal." 

At that point, we aren't really snarking on Jill's family, but snarking on the beliefs of a large chunk of the US. I still think those beliefs are distasteful, hateful, and unconstitutional, but you have to admit that Jill would have exited fundydom (with its legalistic rules) and into regular conservative Christianity. 

• Upvote 22
  • Sad 2
  • I Agree 11

29 minutes ago, kmachete14 said:

There comes a point when perhaps Jill or Derek will present as a regular young family while openly having some hateful beliefs (transgender isn't "real," gay marriage should be illegal, abortion should be a crime, etc.) but I mean doesn't A LOT of America think that?

At that point, we aren't really snarking on Jill's family, but snarking on the beliefs of a large chunk of the US. I still think those beliefs are distasteful, hateful, and unconstitutional, but you have to admit that Jill would have exited fundydom (with its legalistic rules) and into regular conservative Christianity. 

Right...and no matter what the move would be better for Jill and her boys. That was the point I was trying to make. And you know what, in terms of society in general, it is better for them to believe in education for their kids, having social connections and working for a living. Society does better when more people are actively participating and engaged. Maybe as they spend more time outside their compound, their views and behaviors might begin to shift. 

• Upvote 13

I think that the Dillard boys will end up going to school. If Pistol Pete aspirations lead to this, by all means, Pistol Pete all day.

My guess is that Jill will have #3 around the time that Derick graduates from law school or shortly thereafter. And #4 soon after that and then be done. With those babies around, Israel and Sam will be in the way and Derick is not opposed to public school, and Jill indicated that homeschooling could potentially just be temporary.

• Upvote 5
  • I Agree 2

Personally I think the big litmus test for me would be if we ever see Jill working outside the home or furthering her education. Sure Israel and Sam will likely be encouraged to go to University and be ThreePetes but if they had a daughter would she say he encouraged to go to University and become a Doctor or a Physicist? Once Israel starts Kindergarten would Jill consider working part time? Does she actually believe that women should work outside the home? That she isn't subservient to her headship? 

I'm thrilled that they seem to be thriving and have taken leave and cleave to heart. But I don't think we've seen alot of evidence that any beliefs of substance have changed.

• Upvote 5
  • I Agree 2
  • Thank You 1

I can see Jill home schooling through elementary school or middle school. I think once the boys get to middle or high school, Derick may step in because he wants Israel, at least, to be Pistol Pete.

• I Agree 2

14 hours ago, kmachete14 said:

This is exactly what I keep wanting to say. A lot of the things I see people pointing to that make them consider Jill as a fundie still apply to huge portions of the state of Arkansas, who never label themselves as fundie or fundie-lite, honestly I was surprised this summer to find out that my private christian elementary school used the same textbooks fundies do (Abeka). I thought I was relatively liberal (even getting made fun of for political leanings I had) then I moved away and suddenly I was the "old fashioned, conservative" one, it really opened my eyes to things that people just hold as totally common there, that the rest of world is very different on. A good example is gay marriage and abortion, I did not know how woefully under-educated or just unthinking I was. I really don't think Jill will "get out" of fundie-dom much more than she is now simply because there is no social incentive for it there. She fits into the mainstream and that is unlikely to change in that state. I wish it would and I wish it was enough just be a kind and loving person with an innate sense that their beliefs are harmful to others, but I think it would wise for all of us to admit, that we are able to get past awful beliefs we grew up with or ones that are hot debate points and see them as horrible, outdated, intolerant things, in part because we live in places where the mainstream also believes and loudly proclaims these things (as they should and we all should). Of course there will always be those who live in places like AR and are still perfectly fine people with loving beliefs and respect for all others, but I see that as the minority in those areas and am solely speaking on the effect it has on Jill. If Jill has moved to fundie-lite or Conservitve Christian than I really think those were big steps for her, but I also don't see how she would go further without moving somewhere else (like Jinger) that would challenge what she holds as "normal". Frankly, Jill these days reminds of a lot a girls I went to high school with in AR. Who most people would call "normal".

• Upvote 19

I would love seeing a GrandDuggar at school. Even in a Christian private one (but only if it is accredited). Not because I think it would change their beliefs, but at least it would enhance children opportunities and social circle. And on the top of that, imagine how pissed JB and Michelle would be. Mmmm. So sweeeeet.

• Upvote 13
  • I Agree 1

10 hours ago, Audrey2 said:

I can see Jill home schooling through elementary school or middle school. I think once the boys get to middle or high school, Derick may step in because he wants Israel, at least, to be Pistol Pete.

I would say she needs to stop homeschooling by the end of elementary school, at the latest.  My husband and I both have multiple degrees, but we’re having to do remedial training on multiple subjects just to be able to help Sporty with 6th grade homework.  It’s humbling...lol.  Muffy would never be able to prepare him for high school when she never had the education herself to begin with.

I can’t teach my kid either, that’s why I leave it to the professionals...

• Upvote 7
  • I Agree 4
  • Love 1

• Georgiana locked this topic