IGNORED

Dillards 79: Sex Education on the Fly

Coconut Flan

On 9/6/2019 at 6:22 PM, socalrules said:

Love, love, love the Twilight Zone. It still freaks me out to this day. It’s scarier and creepy then most horror movies. 

Rod Serling actually grew up in my home town and graduated from my high school. We grew up around the corner from his childhood home. I grew up watching the Twilight Zone and it used to scare the crap out of me.

• Upvote 4
  • Love 2

That discoloration happened to our oldest. She fell out of bed despite us putting one of those railings between the boxspring and mattress. To add insult to injury, she had a crazy overbite. So she had one gray tooth that stuck way out. Luckily, baby teeth fall out and now she is a 25 year old with straight, lovely teeth. 

• Upvote 9

Jill's response to that question sounds inept and dumb. Parents don't need to remember every scrape and bruise but a face plant significant enough to cause damage to the teeth is probably something most would remember. 

• Upvote 5
  • Bless Your Heart 1
  • I Agree 12
  • Love 1

1 hour ago, HarleyQuinn said:

Jill's response to that question sounds inept and dumb. Parents don't need to remember every scrape and bruise but a face plant significant enough to cause damage to the teeth is probably something most would remember. 

I agree but like someone said a couple of posts back, she's a product of her environment and probably doesn't see a big deal about this.

My sister was a wild toddler and kept jumping off our couch, bunk beds... When she was two, she slipped and faceplant horribly, broke her central incisor like a knife, her tooth went dark after that. Sidenote: she also split open her tongue with that broken tooth.

• Upvote 8

I've had friends whose had CPS involved for a lot less than discolored teeth. Jill really needs to be careful what she says on social media. One parent I know told ER that they didn't know how the child got a bump on the head, they rushed the child,  once they saw the bump, to the ER to check him out just to make sure it wasn't serious. Crawling/almost walking aged child, bumps happen. Ended up being a year long investigation. Lawyers, social workers, etc so many people involved. No fracture, no injury, all the scans came out normal. But parent didn't know the source of the bump, CPS was called. 

• Upvote 2
  • Angry 1
  • WTF 11

Rosie O’Donnell once admitted that she didn’t know how her crawling-stage baby had broken his leg on national television. (In the context of his trip to the doctor, but still.)

• Upvote 1

I think what made it sound strange to me was how she said that it was likely caused by a fall "or something" it makes it sound like not only can she not remember the fall she can't even remember if it was a fall or a soccer ball to the face or running into a door. 

How many times has your small child hit his face that you have no idea when or how this happened? 

All that said I'm not a parent so maybe it doesn't take that much force to cause that type of discoloration and Israel didn't really fuss when it happened so she genuinely didn't notice or piece it together. 

• Upvote 5

5 hours ago, HermioneSparrow said:

I agree but like someone said a couple of posts back, she's a product of her environment and probably doesn't see a big deal about this.

I think Jill and really all the other married adult are at the point where "product of your environment" is no longer a valid excuse. She's a grown ass woman who could make choices to not be a complete dolt and she doesn't. 

• Upvote 14
  • I Agree 1
  • Thank You 1
  • Love 2

2 hours ago, HarleyQuinn said:

I think Jill and really all the other married adult are at the point where "product of your environment" is no longer a valid excuse. She's a grown ass woman who could make choices to not be a complete dolt and she doesn't. 

Oh it's not an excuse, she's 100% responsible for her actions.

• Upvote 4
  • I Agree 2
  • Love 1

6 hours ago, LacyMay said:

I think what made it sound strange to me was how she said that it was likely caused by a fall "or something" it makes it sound like not only can she not remember the fall she can't even remember if it was a fall or a soccer ball to the face or running into a door. 

My youngest had an abscessed front tooth when he was 5. The dentist said he probably bumped his mouth, but we never found out where or how he did it. (The tooth didn't get discolored; he needed to have it removed.) In our case, it might have happened at kindergarten,  but even when my kids were 2 and 4, I didn't have my eyes on them 24/7. I was always near, but they had bumps and scrapes just from being kids. Fortunately only 1 injured tooth!

When Jill sounds unsure how it happened, she may not have seen the incident. Or maybe he had 3 or 4 bumps that seemed minor, so she can't say which one caused the injury. Or maybe Jill is just being bad at communicating, like usual.

• Upvote 20
  • I Agree 5
  • Love 4

10 minutes ago, WhatWouldJohnCrichtonDo? said:

When Jill sounds unsure how it happened, she may not have seen the incident. Or maybe he had 3 or 4 bumps that seemed minor, so she can't say which one caused the injury. Or maybe Jill is just being bad at communicating, like usual.

Thank you for the context :) my only thing to compare it too was when I was 8ish I knocked my two front teeth out roots and all (adult teeth) it involved a lot of blood and screaming so my mom was very aware of it happening and probably still a bit traumatized. 

I assumed it would have taken a fair bit of force (and thus pain) to cause something like that in baby teeth. For Jill and Izzy's sake I'm glad I'm wrong.

• Upvote 4
  • Love 1

@LacyMay, I'll try to remember to ask my (now) 8 year old about it tomorrow. I just started wondering if he might have known how he got hurt, but didn't tell us for some 5 year old reason, like being afraid of getting in trouble. Or not wanting to lose a toy that we might deem dangerous. (I know that I clearly remember how I got hurt and needed stitches when I was 5, so now I'm curious to try asking him again.)

• Upvote 7

11 hours ago, OyToTheVey said:

I've had friends whose had CPS involved for a lot less than discolored teeth. Jill really needs to be careful what she says on social media. One parent I know told ER that they didn't know how the child got a bump on the head, they rushed the child,  once they saw the bump, to the ER to check him out just to make sure it wasn't serious. Crawling/almost walking aged child, bumps happen. Ended up being a year long investigation. Lawyers, social workers, etc so many people involved. No fracture, no injury, all the scans came out normal. But parent didn't know the source of the bump, CPS was called. 

It's very strange. ER doctors see constantly kids with bums and broken bones. It's not enough for an investigation, because thousand of doctors and authorities would be needed and there are not resources enough! I don't know if these people you talk about are close friends of you, but when CPS is involved, people use to lie, and the typical lie is that they are investigated for just a minor problem. Not saying it's the case, but we all tend to believe our friends, while even in the *normal* homes, bad things happen.

• Upvote 16
  • I Agree 3
  • Thank You 1
  • Love 1

1 hour ago, Melissa1977 said:

It's very strange. ER doctors see constantly kids with bums and broken bones. It's not enough for an investigation, because thousand of doctors and authorities would be needed and there are not resources enough! I don't know if these people you talk about are close friends of you, but when CPS is involved, people use to lie, and the typical lie is that they are investigated for just a minor problem. Not saying it's the case, but we all tend to believe our friends, while even in the *normal* homes, bad things happen.

As some one who works at a children's hospital I very much agree. It's quite the process to get CPS involved and in a lot of situations that are considered "minor" that We request them we get denied by higher up due to m wanting to "wisely use our resources" and this is at one of the biggest/ highest rated children's hospitals in the country 

• Upvote 9
  • Haha 1
  • I Agree 1

On 9/10/2019 at 6:40 PM, AtlanticTug said:

There were a lot of people here basically gaslighting those of us who pointed out that he had real and significant tooth issues.  Yet it's been obvious in almost every photo. Her explanation makes sense - baby teeth go grey when you get an injury that basically bleeds/leaks blood into the tooth resulting in a discoloration. 

I remember that.  During the "feeding Israel lemons" discussion, there were some incredibly dismissive, silencing comments even though the poor child's teeth were visibly gray. 

It's crickets now that Jill had confirmed that yes, her kid's teeth are fucked. 

• Upvote 8

Alright, I'll end that silence. It was not gaslighting that was happening. At a similar time, people were dissecting two pictures of Garrett and claiming genetic disorders and several people were going on about Israel's teeth based on some poorly-lit photos and Jill mentioning he liked lemons. There was pushback on those people. 

Gaslighting is when you know the truth and you try to make someone feel crazy for thinking it's true. What was happening with Izzy and Garrett was that we have a pretty established norm around here not to armchair diagnose people, especially children. There were a couple photos of Israel where his teeth maybe looked a little odd, but it was hard to tell. So yeah, there was pushback and that was good. Speculating on health issues is bad. If someone shares or confirms a medical situation, you can have a conversation about that. 

It's invasive and creepy to harp on a child's teeth based on a couple photos. I stand by that. I didn't say anything afterwards not because I felt bad for "silencing" or at least liking posts which pushed back against the speculation, but because I still don't really see the point of commenting on this child's teeth. 

• Upvote 30
  • Downvote 1
  • I Agree 1
  • Love 1

As a Mom, I feel badly for Jill that she needed to defend her child's teeth from rando commentators. But then again she does put her kids out there for public consumption, so....

I remember Jim Bob and Michelle saying in an early episode that one thing that they prioritized was taking good care of their children's teeth. That might be the one good thing I'll give them credit for. And as we all know, a Duggar child's visit to the dentist rarely went undocumented on the show.

• Upvote 7

5 hours ago, Daisy0322 said:

As some one who works at a children's hospital I very much agree. It's quite the process to get CPS involved and in a lot of situations that are considered "minor" that We request them we get denied by higher up due to m wanting to "wisely use our resources" and this is at one of the biggest/ highest rated children's hospitals in the country 

I should have mentioned that it happened out of state. It was dropped in the grandparents state but the investigation continued in the parents state. The ER doctors told them that they had to call CPS because the case right before them was extremely similar and those parents were legitimately abusive. So they couldn't have another case slip thru their hands. And yes, these are very close people to me. 

• Thank You 1

16 hours ago, HarleyQuinn said:

I agree and I disagree with this. I was raised in a cult, and trust me - that shit fucks with your mind severely. I genuinely believe I am intellectually, emotionally, socially, etc stunted because of my upbringing. Some of the Duggars may be adults now, but that doesn't mean their mentality is. Does it give them an excuse for idiotic behavior? No. It doesn't excuse the decisions some of them make, but it does explain it. 

• Upvote 11
  • I Agree 2
  • Thank You 1
  • Love 9

I can see Jill not knowing the exact time or place Izzy's tooth got injured. My son has taken some pretty hard falls in his 18 months. After two on the concrete in the same week I started making him wear a helmet outside until he got more steady on his feet. Thankfully both of those times were just smacks to the forehead and he was fine after some crying, but there have been a few times where he's taken what looks like an innocent fall on the carpet and seemed fine until you saw some blood dripping out of his mouth because he bit his lip. Just the other day we were at a restaurant and the little turd thought it was fun to run away from mama and ended up tripping and face planting on some tile. It was hard to tell if he hit his forehead or landed on his mouth but he got up and seemed okay and I didn't see any damage in the moment but wouldn't have been surprised to notice something later. Toddlers are just walking hazards who fall like a billion times a day.

• Upvote 16
  • I Agree 2
  • Love 4

When I was 4, I climbed on top of our glass living room table, stood up and promptly fell through It. I still have a huge scar on my knee. I had a great mom but I just decided to climb one day when she wasn’t in the room. Kids do stupid stuff or just fall randomly, it’s not always bad parenting. 

• Upvote 11
  • Love 3

?Dwreck's latest Instagram shows him possibly delivering with grub hub? ...or at least getting "date ideas." I wonder if this new side hustle is part of their " ministry"....And if makes him the #bestgrubhubbyever ?

• Haha 12
  • Love 1

[emoji848]Dwreck's latest Instagram shows him possibly delivering with grub hub? ...or at least getting "date ideas." I wonder if this new side hustle is part of their " ministry"....And if makes him the #bestgrubhubbyever ?

#grubbyhubby

People are asking if they are doing role play in the bedroom [emoji23][emoji23][emoji23]
  • Upvote 1
  • Rufus Bless 1
  • Haha 14

Mildy impressed if he does have a part time job. What happens if he delivers to a female's home though? Is the door being open enough to stop evil temptation? Do Jill and the boys tag along so he's forced to be accountable? 

• Upvote 16
  • I Agree 2
  • Love 1

25 minutes ago, bella8050 said:

Mildy impressed if he does have a part time job. What happens if he delivers to a female's home though? Is the door being open enough to stop evil temptation? Do Jill and the boys tag along so he's forced to be accountable? 

This was my question, as well as, do you get your order with a side of Jesus wisdom, pro life literature, and homophobic ranting.

• Upvote 4
  • I Agree 3
  • Love 3

• Georgiana locked this topic