IGNORED

Dillards 79: Sex Education on the Fly

Coconut Flan

On 9/2/2019 at 6:00 PM, Glasgowghirl said:

My dad used to tell us stupid things all the time, it meant as an adult we didn't fall for pranks so easy. A parent telling their child that if they eat broccoli they will get super powers or that the ice cream van only plays the tune when they have ran out of ice cream is not going to do lasting damage. 

Any toy that was audibly annoying or required replacement batteries that were tiny and expensive,  well, I just said they stopped working but we could still play woth them. Then, we would and everyone was happy.  If they were regular batteries and a fav, I'd replace.  

• Upvote 9

9 hours ago, OyToTheVey said:

I really hate Jill. Couldn't stand her, even before social media. But at this point I'd rather have Jill IG than "influencers" asking their followers what content they want. If you're an influencer, you should have your own content. That's why people are following you. So many are in bed with marketing companies and image consultants. It's not organic or real. At least Jill posts what she wants and makes a half ass attempt at it.

Not really actually. An influencer is actually a human billboard, they give people content they are happy to scroll by so they can eat.

• Upvote 2
  • I Agree 1
  • Thank You 1

Jill missed an opportunity for nice photos there. The Old Mill is the place to take nice photos. Half my high school had prom pictures taken there, my sister did so twelve years later; I even have a friend who had her super intimate wedding there (I think it really was just them, their kid, parents, and justice of the peace, not sure if you can have a normal larger wedding there). Oh and my cousin had her maternity photos done there. The flowers are amazing in the late spring. The Old Mill was even in the open credits of Gone with the Wind (I have never noticed it, but everyone says so).

• Upvote 5
  • I Agree 1

17 hours ago, keen23 said:

We had a go to scapegoat for when all of the exhausting questions started "why can't I have ice cream for breakfast?" "why can't I run in the store?" "How come I can't have a pigeon live in my room and sleep in my bed?" "why does the toilet make noises?" "Why do the ants bite my feet?" "Why can't I feed the ants candy?" "Why can't I have candy?" Whenever we got to the point of exhaustion our answer was "That Man said." Hint- there was no That Man. That Man was pretend. "Why do I need to wear my jacket?" "That Man said you need to wear a jacket."

We do what we gotta do. There are two sides to this story: One is from parents who have a child that does not incessantly question every single thing. My kids fit this category and I was happy to always give truthful answers and explanations. I thought the parents who made up stuff were impatient. The other side of the story is from parents/grandparents who do have a child who will not stop asking questions about everything and nothing. This is my grandchild. We can't even read a couple of sentences in a book without all the questioning. Now I understand. In order to have any working brain cells for important things, I have to eventually skirt the questions somehow. It is exhausting.

• Upvote 14

On 9/3/2019 at 1:55 PM, Peaches-n-Beans said:

I don’t think it’s lazy at all. I mean I don’t have kids yet, but it see,s to me that if it’s simple and it works it’s okay. As for the gaslighting well then Santa is gaslighting too Rights? And actually Santa is way creepier because that’s a stranger coming in your house while you sleep soooooooo I think the gum is okay

Same don't have kid's but from what I have seen other parent's go through in their day to day life with children, sometimes you need to pick your battles and other times you may need to tell a white lie for your sanity.

My dad if we injured ourselves as a child would make up silly medical conditions, that we knew were not true and we would laugh.  Joked the same thing to an apprentice on his building site and he phoned his mum to ask if he would need a shot for the condition. His parent's were even laughing on the phone. 

• Upvote 6

13 hours ago, Beermeet said:

Any toy that was audibly annoying or required replacement batteries that were tiny and expensive,  well, I just said they stopped working but we could still play woth them. Then, we would and everyone was happy.  If they were regular batteries and a fav, I'd replace. 

If you hate someone, give their kid some toy playing music :P

• Upvote 5
  • Haha 9
  • I Agree 3
  • Love 1

One of the most obnoxious toys is the popper. Grandparents should always give one, then smile and leave.

• Upvote 3
  • Haha 3

1 hour ago, squiddysquid said:

My brother gave OneKid this toy cash register when she was tiny. Driving around with it in the back of my car when as I turn a corner things shift and something landed on top of the fucking thing. Stuck in traffic with bloops and beeps from it and crying fit from my daughter. ?

It was a bad day. 

What did I do ever do to my brother that made him hate me so 

Edited by onekidanddone
  • Upvote 5
  • Haha 5

11 hours ago, StraightOuttaArkansas said:

Jill missed an opportunity for nice photos there. The Old Mill is the place to take nice photos. Half my high school had prom pictures taken there, my sister did so twelve years later; I even have a friend who had her super intimate wedding there (I think it really was just them, their kid, parents, and justice of the peace, not sure if you can have a normal larger wedding there). Oh and my cousin had her maternity photos done there. The flowers are amazing in the late spring. The Old Mill was even in the open credits of Gone with the Wind (I have never noticed it, but everyone says so).

Is this Old Mill the one at TR Pugh Park in North Little Rock?  If so, the trivia section of the IMDB agrees with those who say it's the mill in GWTW.

• Upvote 2
  • I Agree 1

On 8/30/2019 at 9:51 AM, Four is Enough said:

It's Richard Rankin as Roger Mackenzie Wakefield that floats my boat, but yeah...

And let's just say I'd love to try to "turn" Lord John Grey.... David Berry...

I think Jamie is very attractive but I don't feel the same way about Sam Heughan, so it can't all be looks unless the red hair makes all the difference. . .

David Berry is gorgeous.

• Upvote 3
  • I Agree 1

6 hours ago, squiddysquid said:

Or any messy toy, my sister had all carpet in her house and she banned play doh after having to scrap it off her carpets, it's a rented house so she couldn't change the carpet. They played with it at my house, so didn't miss out.

• Upvote 3
  • I Agree 1

6 hours ago, Bad Wolf said:

One of the most obnoxious toys is the popper. Grandparents should always give one, then smile and leave.

Awe my son loves his popper and goes tearing through the house with it all the time! I think it's the cutest thing. I dislike toys that play the same 10 second song over and over lol 

• Upvote 3
  • Love 4

1 hour ago, Glasgowghirl said:

Or any messy toy, my sister had all carpet in her house and she banned play doh after having to scrap it off her carpets, it's a rented house so she couldn't change the carpet. They played with it at my house, so didn't miss out.

I banned play doh at my house too. And I don't feel too bad about it. They had other things, like kinetic sand, which is still messy but easier to get with the vacuum. 

• Upvote 2

On 9/4/2019 at 3:02 AM, StraightOuttaArkansas said:

The Old Mill you are referencing is in North Little Rock, Jill was at the one in Northwest Arkansas...I believe it might be a restaurant. 

• Upvote 1
  • Thank You 2

52 minutes ago, Arkfundy said:

The Old Mill you are referencing is in North Little Rock, Jill was at the one in Northwest Arkansas...I believe it might be a restaurant. 

The one in NWA is War Eagle Mill in Rogers (where Cathy lives).  You’re right, it’s that one and not the Old Mill of GWTW fame in Little Rock. Michelle and Jim Bob once went to War Eagle Mill for an anniversary dinner on the show. 

• Upvote 1
  • Thank You 2

7 hours ago, kiwi said:

I dunno, he definitely favours his father in more ways than one..

uuuuuhhh... what on earth do you mean with that...

• Upvote 1
  • I Agree 8

@PennySycamore That is the one. I have only seen Gone with the Wind once or twice and I think it is right at the beginning? That may be why I personally have never seen it (also not really a GWTW fan). I just know it because that is one our few "claims to fame" ? It really is pretty though, I encourage everyone to google it, there are some great photos.

11 hours ago, Daisy0322 said:

Awe my son loves his popper and goes tearing through the house with it all the time! I think it's the cutest thing. I dislike toys that play the same 10 second song over and over lol 

Yes. We totally made a mistake on this point. We planned to get a walker/push toy on the cheap to help Little Outta 2 learn to walk and then have his grandparents pick out a nice wooden one (like the wagons with blocks) for his birthday. Grandparents flaked on it (despite agreeing enthusiastically to get it) and Little Outta 2 adore his annoying Vtech walker thing. I loathe that toy so much and will be investing myself in a non music one for the next kid (if we ever have one).

2 hours ago, Arkfundy said:

OH thank you, yes, I didn't actually see her post, just went off what I read here. I thought they were still in Little Rock with Dwrecks summer thing, hence my assumption that it was the Old Mill.

• Upvote 6

1 hour ago, StraightOuttaArkansas said:

Little Outta 2 adore his annoying Vtech walker thing. I loathe that toy so much <and so on>

Vtech toys and carseat straps are the scourge of my life (I take care of my grandkids while parents work.) I seriously want to bash the toys that start 'playing' with no provocation or the slightest vibration in the house.

• Upvote 1
  • Haha 7
  • Love 3

That moment when you are startled awake by a strange noise in the middle of the night...and you realize it's one of the kids' toys yammering in the playroom. ?

• Upvote 3
  • Haha 15
  • Love 1

12 hours ago, kiwi said:

I dunno, he definitely favours his father in more ways than one..

He is a CHILD! He did not ask to be born to Jill and Derick Dillard.

I think both Izzy and Sammy are adorable kids. They're so squishy ❤️ how can anyone say anything bad about these two babies?  

• Upvote 25
  • I Agree 6
  • Thank You 1
  • Love 1

1 hour ago, Snarkasarus Rex said:

That moment when you are startled awake by a strange noise in the middle of the night...and you realize it's one of the kids' toys yammering in the playroom. ?

Oh man, we had one that was possessed :-).. I had to make it disappear when the kids weren't noticing.  

• Haha 10
  • I Agree 1
  • Love 1

My sister gave us one that had 8 bells that you could spin around and bang on with a hammer. Horrible toy and I can't wait for revenge. Suggestions?

• Haha 8

4 hours ago, Bobology said:

Vtech toys and carseat straps are the scourge of my life (I take care of my grandkids while parents work.) I seriously want to bash the toys that start 'playing' with no provocation or the slightest vibration in the house.

We had one that did a really evil laugh. It was freaky. It could be quiet for days and then suddenly start laughing even though it was alone in a room and no one had touched it. It was loud too! And then suddenly it was not ... :kitty-shifty:

• Upvote 2
  • Haha 11
  • Love 1

• Georgiana locked this topic