IGNORED

Dillards 79: Sex Education on the Fly

Coconut Flan

1 hour ago, Denim Jumper said:

I think Derick initially expected to jump right into the “griftin’ for Jesus” lifestyle, but got a dose of reality. JB & Michelle worked hard in their early years, delayed starting a family, and set up various passive income streams, which allows them to now live as they do.

Derick started out on that path with his accountant  job at Walmart, but I think he got impatient and didn’t want to put in the years of grunt work that JB & Michelle did, and figured he could sidestep all of that by abruptly escaping to the mission field. 

I hope this latest 180 (law school, side hustles, putting down roots with a home) is evidence of him learning from those half-baked choices, and being willing to work for his living. 

I think he quit that WM job because his wife did not want him working for the man, and spending time away from her. Plus, I think he assumed that TLC would be interested in following the Dillards to danger America, thus eliminating the need for the WM income. What he didn’t anticipate was a super needy wife and douchebag, sister molester BIL being exposed.

• Upvote 7

I have 3 kids between 3 and 7 years old, and I frequently forget to take snacks if we’re only going somewhere for a couple of hours. They’re not suffering starvation, but sometimes they have to wait a bit instead of eating the second they’re hungry.

• Upvote 17
  • Love 2

20 hours ago, theotherelise said:

I mean, your battery dying because the back hatch wasn't completely shut isn't exactly car trouble in my book. And we don't know what happened to cause the issue with the rear passenger window. But neither of those are problems with the functioning of the vehicle really. We had to replace the driver side window in my husband's vehicle because some mechanism inside the broke and it was not longer consistently holding the window up. But there isn't anything wrong with the car, it's just got old doors. 

And batteries sometimes die. Sometimes because you goof up and leave something on and also just sometimes because they don't last forever. Maybe it was so dead it wouldn't take a jump and they had to run out for a replacement or maybe they just had to let it charge for a little bit and it was fine. I'm not sure why you'd call your family for that, even if they are 15 min away, if you've got friends on-site to help out.

I feel like a Jill defender even though I have no real love for her. I just am blown away sometimes by how much everything she does gets nitpicked. And it's just normal people things that people do differently, not really anything associated with her beliefs. 

It can be when your car battery is dead, and unchargeable. Last winter I was out and about running errands after work, I got to my 2nd stop ran in to the store (Target) got what I needed came back out and my car wouldn't start. We lived about 15 minutes away so hubby and DS came out they tried to jump the car but it wouldn't hold a charge, we couldn't get the car home. I took our other car home and hubby and DS tried to get that car working, and they finally gave up and went to buy a battery but by then it was dark so they had to wait until morning to replace the battery. We had to inform Target that our car was there and we'd be back in the morning to move it, so they wouldn't have it towed. So a dead batter can mean the battery is LITERALLY dead, and not always just a quick jump and on your way. 

• Upvote 7
  • WTF 1
  • I Agree 2

22 hours ago, theotherelise said:

Their decision (you'll never convince me this break in children is accidental) to delay having more children for now is the best thing they've ever done.

I agree. I definitely see Derick wanting to keep their family small. But maybe it's just a case of low fertility or consequence of a difficult delivery.

Jessa's gap between Henry and Ivy was longer than the previous one. Jinger is still not pregnant. All of these situations can be normal and do not indicate an use of BC. BUT it's a bit strange that any of them (nor Jessa, nor Jill, nor Jinger are having kids every 15 months as their mother).

• Upvote 5

1 hour ago, Melissa1977 said:

BUT it's a bit strange that any of them (nor Jessa, nor Jill, nor Jinger are having kids every 15 months as their mother).

I think Joy was quite close but she lost the second baby. We don't really know if Jinger isn't pregnant. But I am surprised at the gaps in Jessas births. Pretty sure doctors told Jill to slow down after 2 difficult c sections.

• Upvote 3

1 hour ago, OyToTheVey said:

But I am surprised at the gaps in Jessas births. 

In my opinion (which is just guesswork, and isn't based on anything concrete), I think the small gap between Spurgeon and Henry shows that Jessa originally wanted to have a family similar to the one she was raised in. However, I think once Henry arrived, it was a bit of an adjustment to realize two kids close together is hard, and I think that's why the third was spaced. 

For all we know, though, the space was unintentional. 

• Upvote 11

1 hour ago, OyToTheVey said:

I think Joy was quite close but she lost the second baby. We don't really know if Jinger isn't pregnant. But I am surprised at the gaps in Jessas births. Pretty sure doctors told Jill to slow down after 2 difficult c sections.

Jessa's 1st two were 15 months apart.  Joy's 1st to would have been closer to 21 months. I don't think we can really set a pattern until after 3 or 4 kids.  So far only Anna seems to have a set pattern of when she will have another child. Jessa's 1st two were 15 months apart 2 and 3 were 27 months apart. Kendra's kids will be 16/17 months apart depending on when she gives birth. Will Jessa wait another 18 months to get pregnant again? Will she get pregnant again? She's got her hands full right now with a 3 1/2 year old a 2 1/2 year old and a 2 month old. 

As for Jill, I don't see them another child until after Derrick is out of law school, He may put his foot down after that and say nah we're good with the 2 we have, that is plenty. She could be done having kids but in all honesty I do see her having at least 1 more MAYBE 2. 

• Upvote 9

36 minutes ago, viii said:

I don't think any of the married couples are done, I think they'll all at least have two more. 

I agree although 4 kids is still a pretty normal amount and would not be real interesting TV .... but they aren't that interesting in general so who know lol 

• Upvote 4

On 9/16/2019 at 8:19 AM, OyToTheVey said:

Yes I know my comment above was hypercritical. But in the last 2 weeks, we've seen the car situation being on going. And the videos of Sam crying hysterically because of the broken window while Jill laughs were not exactly pleasant.

Honestly Jill and D remind me of my upper middle class white youth pastor and youth group . Not intentionally mean but just a callus about other's feelings or their actions. 

She finds it funny so she films and post about it. D found her crying over a mouse funny so he films it and post. 

I say three kids for Jill.

• Upvote 4
  • I Agree 1

1 hour ago, Longhairedheathen said:

Honestly Jill and D remind me of my upper middle class white youth pastor and youth group . Not intentionally mean but just a callus about other's feelings or their actions. 

She finds it funny so she films and post about it. D found her crying over a mouse funny so he films it and post. 

I say three kids for Jill.

I really think many of Jill’s idiosyncratic responses to every day life and real world situations is a direct result of growing up isolated away from society, having few friends or adult role models, and having individualism or emotional responses severely curtailed. Jill comes off as odd because she does not know what an appropriate response might be to most situations, because she’s never had to solely deal with many situations. The TTH was all about butt wiping, pregnancy tests, perpendicular and the Bible. This is the direct result of too many kids and too little time...and the cult life.

She is like a blind person learning how to navigate the world on their own volition.

DD is just plain odd. There is no excuse for his behaviors.

There was a saying in my HS:

A Freshman knows not, but thinks he knows.

A Sophomore knows not, and knows he knows not.

A Jr knows, but thinks he knows not.

A Sr knows, and knows he knows.

Jill is totally a Freshman.

Edited by SassyPants
  • Upvote 14
  • I Agree 1

OMG do any of you listen to Savage Lovecast, the very graphic sex and relationship advice podcast with Dan Savage?  On the episode that dropped today he talked about Jill Duggar's recent sex advice on her blog!  Too funny to hear him talking about her on his podcast.  I think this is the episode (I had it loaded automatically) - 

https://www.savagelovecast.com

He talks about her right at the top of the podcast.

• Upvote 4
  • Thank You 6

On 9/15/2019 at 4:52 AM, bella8050 said:

He was. Jeremy got "allergic" though so he didn't make the cut for the move to LA. Jeremy claims he is with a family in Laredo. I hope that's true. I normally hate people giving up pets when they move, but little Jake is probably better off this way (thinking of the coyotes in LA).

how does one get to their thirties and not know they are allergic to cats? sarcasm. what a crock of shit 

They would have been better using the coyote excuse 

• Upvote 2
  • I Agree 2

1 hour ago, AussieKrissy said:

how does one get to their thirties and not know they are allergic to cats? sarcasm. what a crock of shit 

They would have been better using the coyote excuse 

I’m not defending him, but I’m in my thirties, and I’ve developed a whole new crop of allergies, both environmental and to things. It’s been a lot of fun, discovering that I can no longer eat things I’ve eaten my whole life without my throat swelling up, or wear wool without a blistering rash, or go to my friend’s house and help w/ her horses and still breathe. Spring through Fall is now spent wheezing, coughing, and eyes streaming, too. Thirty is the new twenty, my ass. 

Edited by Lillymuffin
  • Upvote 18
  • Sad 4
  • I Agree 7

22 minutes ago, Lillymuffin said:

I’m not defending him, but I’m in my thirties, and I’ve developed a whole new crop of allergies, both environmental and to things. It’s been a lot of fun, discovering that I can no longer eat things I’ve eaten my whole life without my throat swelling up, or wear wool without a blistering rash, or go to my friend’s house and help w/ her horses and still breathe. Spring through Fall is now spent wheezing, coughing, and eyes streaming, too. Thirty is the new twenty, my ass. 

yeah fair enough I did not think of that. 

And poor you :( sending some anti allergy love 

• I Agree 4
  • Thank You 1

On 9/16/2019 at 10:29 AM, lumpentheologie said:

Or, you know, just not post every aspect of your life on social media. 

But if it’s not on social media, did it really happen? :think:

• Upvote 1
  • Haha 15

1 hour ago, AussieKrissy said:

yeah fair enough I did not think of that. 

And poor you :( sending some anti allergy love 

I never had cats growing up (allergic parent), and wasn't diagnosed until adulthood. If you're not around certain animals very often, you just won't know.

• Upvote 6

I was in my 20s before I realized that I had a severe drug sensitivity (I won't call it an allergy because it wasn't formally tested) but wherever I've had it I find it hard to breathe/I throw up. So super fun. I only found out because I didn't have it prescribed until I was a late teen/ early 20s and it took two bad reactions for me to see a pattern.

Mr. May is crazy allergic to cats but can be around one for an hour or so before he turns into a snotty mess. If you're never around something or not around it consistently enough to notice a pattern you could easily never know you have an allergy. 

Funny story I'm actually allergic to another medication a form of chemo, never would have known about that allergy if I hadn't had cancer. Now I'm totally thinking about the whole concept of being allergic to something and never knowing. Like what other random things on this planet want to try and harm me?

• Upvote 9

I have been very lucky in my family when it comes to allergies. I have mild intolerance to apples (which no one believes me about, but I will believe the my tummy trouble over other peoples opinions if you catch my drift and avoid them where possible). Most of my family is allergic to just everything, my kids are allergic to eggs and intolerant to milk. I thought I really got off lucky until I was in my 20's and doing job training. We were working with a flower (biology stuff) and after 5 minutes handling it my hand were turning red and itchy and getting spots. My teacher got very upset and asked why I didn't mention I was allergic and get some gloves. I said I didn't know and felt dumb for being so old and not knowing something like that about myself. Turned out the flower is not common in Arkansas but normal in Europe. I also wonder now what else I might be allergic to and just never know because I likely won't come in contact with it.

• Upvote 8

5 minutes ago, StraightOuttaArkansas said:

I have been very lucky in my family when it comes to allergies. I have mild intolerance to apples (which no one believes me about, but I will believe the my tummy trouble over other peoples opinions if you catch my drift and avoid them where possible). Most of my family is allergic to just everything, my kids are allergic to eggs and intolerant to milk. I thought I really got off lucky until I was in my 20's and doing job training. We were working with a flower (biology stuff) and after 5 minutes handling it my hand were turning red and itchy and getting spots. My teacher got very upset and asked why I didn't mention I was allergic and get some gloves. I said I didn't know and felt dumb for being so old and not knowing something like that about myself. Turned out the flower is not common in Arkansas but normal in Europe. I also wonder now what else I might be allergic to and just never know because I likely won't come in contact with it.

My colleague from Canada mentioned that she was very allergic to some plant and she did not feel the allergy now that she lives in Europe and asked if it was less common here.

I never heard of the plant and did not recognize the picture, turns out it is not growing here at all.

• Upvote 6

56 minutes ago, StraightOuttaArkansas said:

I developed a ton of allergies in my late 30s-early 40s, including to my two cats, and I always had cats. Pollen, dust mites, most flowers--it was awful. I suffered a lot because I thought you either had allergies as a kid or you didn't, so I just kept thinking I had the world's longest cold. Shots helped. Then I moved 1000 miles away and started all over again because there was different stuff around. The allergist explained that long-term exposure can actually cause allergies and you can get them at any time.

• Upvote 11
  • I Agree 2
  • Love 1

8 minutes ago, patsymae said:

I developed a ton of allergies in my late 30s-early 40s, including to my two cats, and I always had cats. Pollen, dust mites, most flowers--it was awful. I suffered a lot because I thought you either had allergies as a kid or you didn't, so I just kept thinking I had the world's longest cold. Shots helped. Then I moved 1000 miles away and started all over again because there was different stuff around. The allergist explained that long-term exposure can actually cause allergies and you can get them at any time.

I had no idea this was a thing. Thanks for the heads up.

• Upvote 4
  • Bless Your Heart 1

6 hours ago, patsymae said:

The allergist explained that long-term exposure can actually cause allergies and you can get them at any time.

Yep. Or a single exposure to a large amount of the allergen. I developed seasonal allergies after opening a beehive and was exposed to the massive amount of pollen inside. 

• Upvote 6
  • Sad 2

The sudden tongue swelling over fruit I've eaten a hundred times was fun stuff. Haven't touched it since. The last couple of years I've developed new symptoms to allergies. I used to sneeze and have runny nose and watery eyes. Now a mosquito bite or dog licking will lead to extreme swelling or rash. Fun times. New symptoms after 30 should just be outlawed.

Edited by OyToTheVey
  • Upvote 8
  • I Agree 6

That kind of crap scares me. And I just went down a rabbit hole about food allergies last night. I just put that Jeremy was allergic in quotes cause it's so hard to believe anything with this family. People kept asking him about it on IG and finally he answered. I feel like if people didn't ask the cat never would have been mentioned again. Unless the TLC producers brought it up.

• Upvote 2

• Georgiana locked this topic