IGNORED

Dillards 79: Sex Education on the Fly

Coconut Flan

I have a golden retriever lab mix. He loves EVERYONE except male dogs who try to eat his food. When I have repairmen or whatever come over, I ask if my dog can greet them. I do this because then Thor will willingly go into his crate and be chill. It’s like “oh hey I met ya and we are cool.” But if he doesn’t greet them he whines in his crate the whole time they are here. 

He isn’t much of a barker. Sometime if he hears another dog while in the back yard he will bark at them. He also gives us a singular bark to let us know he wants to come back inside. 

• Upvote 1
  • Love 11

21 hours ago, Beermeet said:

The cashier was oogling a teenager ( he was 50ish) like, really gross and obvious.  As I'm taking this in, a woman a bit older than me loudly tells him to stop. That she is a kid just stopping in here and doesn't need you looking at her like that,  it's gross. I seconded that. Love that lady! He was appropriately shamed.

I want to be like that lady.  I used to be, and I don't know what happened. 

• Upvote 8
  • I Agree 1
  • Love 7

32 minutes ago, OldFadedStar said:

. I do this because then Thor will willingly go into his crate and be chill. It’s like “oh hey I met ya and we are cool.”

I love that you named your dog Thor.

• Upvote 2
  • I Agree 4

3 hours ago, Peaches-n-Beans said:

OMG napoleon complex! XD I'm totally gonna use that. 

Head harnesses can actually cause a lot of harm if the dog lunges they can cause serious damage to the neck so I would be careful with those. Personally I'm more comfortable with prongs because they give a really quick little "POP" without actually hurting the dog. Usually when a tool like a prong or an ecollar cause harm to the dog it's because they've been used correctly and really, even a head harness or a flat collar can cause harm. Unfortunately people use Prongs incorrectly all the time because they think it makes their dog look "cool" (which totally isn't the purpose and it drives me insane when people use them willy nilly with no idea how to use them). Personally I'd immediately leave a training class that didn't allow the use of a flat collar or a prong but that's just me. I work with serious dogs a lot of the time (Think Malinois, Jindo, Akita, and Shiba (do not get my started on Shibas)), and sometimes you need a bit of 'umph' behind it to get them to listen. Nothing wrong with that. 

There's a facebook group "No Nonsense Dog Training" that I've found to be insanely helpful with my nutcase. She's a bit of an OCD headcase (she's a border collie and has actual legitimate OCD, because well... why wouldn't she? XD). But like I said, if you've tried everything sometimes you just have a reactive dog and really there's no problem with that. I don't get along with every person, so why should a dog have to get on with every dog ya know? 

As for reactivity being genetic that's totally a thing. I personally have only had rescue dogs, but my current dog is a rescue collie, so basically a walking genetic disaster XD. Think the Triceratops in Jurassic Park who got sick literally all the time. That's my dog. But when purchasing a dog from a breeder its important to pick one who health tests properly (OFA scores, genetic testing appropriate for the breed ect.) and temperament tests dogs because these do minimize issues. 

Yikes on the no fence, can you put one up or are you renting? We were denied by several rescues as a kid because we were renters and weren't allowed to put up a fence. I don't know much about introducing to a lead as my gal loves hers. Sidewalks are a total bonus though, I used to live in a neighborhood with none for a half mile and it made walking a nightmare. We had this one neighbor who actually put up a camera in his window so he could see the yard and if anyone stepped foot in his yard for any reason, even avoiding a car, he got pissed. Which I mean, yeah it's his property, but I was also 14 years old and it was for about 2 seconds. Let go a little people XD

Our new house is interesting because it’s not really a single family home, but it’s also not really a condo. It’s something kind of in between the two. So it’s detached from any other homes (like single family), but it has a low HOA fee and is subject to by-laws. As far as we know fences aren’t allowed, but we’ve seen a lot of dogs on leads behind their houses. We live in a townhouse right now and we literally have no outside space at all, so having a back patio and a small non-fenced backyard is definitely a big step up for us. 

And the trainer has no issue with flat collars being used as you have to have those on your dog here for identification purposes. She just encourages clients to use harnesses because it’s more secure when working in class around other dogs. If your dog is calm and listens well then she probably wouldn’t object to just a flat collar though. She prefers head harnesses, but she’s not opposed to back or front harnesses. 

3 hours ago, Lizzybet said:

@VelociRapturewould you elaborate on what a head harness is, please? Our dog walks well on leash, but she gets tangled up all the time, because the collar we use tends to turn toward the front of her neck (I think it’s the weight of her rabies, license, microchip, and I.D. tags). I was thinking she needs a harness that attaches to the leash on her back. But now I’m thinking something on her head could be better.

I would keep her collar with all her stuff on it, but not use it with the leash.

Thank you.

This is the one we have for our dog:

https://www.petsafe.net/gentleleader

It fits around the muzzle and around the back of the head. My parents had one for our black lab when I was growing up and it worked well for him. We haven’t had any issues using it with our dog after she got used to it, but each dog is different and what works for one may not work well for another. 

1 hour ago, allthegoodnamesrgone said:

As a woman with lots of hair, but  but just touches the top of the band of my bra, I've had a child get gum in my hair and had to have help getting it out, but DH didn't chew it he threw it in the trash. That is straight up mommyhood, but the husband chewing it, is straight up NASTY.

He is an accountant, they do that,  N

ot to defend him, because he's him and this is weird, but it isn't weird considering his education.  If that makes sense. 

My husband is an Accountant and he definitely doesn’t do this. So let’s leave the Bean Counters out of this. ?

ETA: And Jill meant that Izzy started chewing the gum after losing it in her hair. Not Derick. They’re weird, but I don’t think they’ve reached that level of weirdness just yet (they’re working on it though. Lol!)

1 hour ago, Timetostoplurking said:

I love love love dogs.  I have 2! They are both getting old and it’s been really hard to watch that happen.  “Lab mix”is diabetic, blind, bad hip.  “Little white” is super healthy but has few teeth. Lol.  

The best advise I ever got for walking a reactive, pulling, barking type dog was to immediately walk in the opposite direction when they pull or bark.  It made for some goofy looking walks when “Lab mix” was a puppy, but 13 years later she never pulls.  Sometimes I never made it for more than a block or so, but all that turning and back and forth walking forced her to pay attention to me and not react so much to her surroundings.    It worked like a charm.  

Yes, that’s part of the training advice we received too. The second we see another dog we’re supposed to put distance between them and our dog. Sometimes that means crossing the street and sometimes that means turning around and jogging until she loses interest (which can take an annoyingly long time depending on how fixated she is. Lol!)

Edited by VelociRapture
  • Upvote 6
  • Love 2

We have a 7 year old golden (he's the reddish type, always gets mistaken for an Irish setter) and he's not the typical human loving goofball type of golden most people imagine. When we are out on walks people comment how beautiful he is and want to pet him but he hates having his walk interrupted so people can touch him. He would so rather be walking and sniffing and pissing on everything. If I stop to talk to a neighbor and that talk lasts more than a minute he starts getting really annoyed and antsy. I usually try to avoid interactions with people and don't let him "socialize" with dogs when we are walking so he's very non-reactive to people and other dogs when we are out. We just walk on by and even if another dog is going crazy he's usually pretty chill...except if he sees a cat. For some reason he goes bonkers when he sees a cat outside even though we have 3 at home ?.

We haven't figured out the whole be chill with visitors in our house yet though. If a delivery person is dropping off food or whatever I can get him to sit and stay quietly but anyone who comes in the house is going to be sniffed incessantly and probably have a toy or his nose shoved in their lap until they acknowledge him. He also has this cute quirk that really seems to bother people even though its no big deal- he grabs a shoe and carries it around anytime someone comes in the door. He has never chewed or ripped apart a shoe, he just likes to carry it around while he's excited and he will eventually drop it once the initial excitement has worn off. It actually gives him something to focus on and keeps him from jumping on people but it always freaks people out and their first instinct is to chastise him for having a shoe...even if we say its okay.

• Upvote 1
  • Love 9

Jill's instagram made sure to remind us that it's Derick's first day back at... LAW SCHOOL.  Don't forget he's at law school, ladies!

The reading glasses combined with the unkempt beard stubble is not the look with his wonk teeth.  To be fair, they look decent when he keeps his mouth shut - something I wish he'd do 24/7, given the filth that spews forth from it.  

• Upvote 5
  • Haha 7

51 minutes ago, OyToTheVey said:

I love that you named your dog Thor.

We got a dog and a cat at the same time. The cat is named Loki. Loki lives up to his namesake. 

Thor does not. Unless you are talking about Thor from the beginning of end game then yes, he does live up to his namesake 

• Upvote 4
  • Haha 13
  • Love 1

10 minutes ago, OldFadedStar said:

We got a dog and a cat at the same time. The cat is named Loki. Loki lives up to his namesake. 

Thor does not. Unless you are talking about Thor from the beginning of end game then yes, he does live up to his namesake 

I love End Game Thor so very much!

• Upvote 1

19 minutes ago, Giraffe said:

I love End Game Thor so very much!

He’s like a Nordic frat boy gone to seed in that movie. It’s beautiful, horrifying, and hysterical all at once. Husband and I couldn’t stop laughing during his scenes because Chris Hemsworth just did such a fantastic job playing washed up Thor. 

• Upvote 3
  • I Agree 1

I fucking love Chris Hemsworth. He's got really good comedic timing. For me he made the new Ghostbusters almost watchable. But as washed up Thor he was perfect.

• Upvote 5
  • Love 1

Jill’s kids are doing crafts at the public library in her insta story ..that’s a start .Do any of the other Duggar’s go to the library?

• Upvote 11

36 minutes ago, Fundielandobserver said:

Jill’s kids are doing crafts at the public library in her insta story ..that’s a start .Do any of the other Duggar’s go to the library?

I think Anna has been shown bringing her kids in the past. I don’t recall seeing any of the others bring their kids, though it’s always possible they have.

• Upvote 5

So grades 1-12 give Derick 12 first days of school.

College 13-16. 

I guess you could add 2 years of pre-K and Kindergarten, so 19.

Where are the other two????

• Haha 6

5 hours ago, Satan'sFortress said:

She definitely inspired me to do the same. 

8 minutes ago, Four is Enough said:

College 13-16. 

Probably spanish lessons in Sintral America and whatever the Bible college was about.

• Haha 9

9 minutes ago, Four is Enough said:

College 13-16. 

Missionary school? Or maybe he is counting daycare, he has said stupider things

• Upvote 1
  • Haha 8

5 hours ago, Satan'sFortress said:

I used to be too, and what happened is I moved to a conceal-carry state with a stand-your-ground law and a whole bunch of crazy people.

2 hours ago, Fundielandobserver said:

Anna went once, probably just for the show, with her kids and she said she was surprised how easy it was to get a library card, so I'm guessing they didn't go back. I think I remember a show or two with Jchelle and some kids in the library but I'm thinking maybe they were just there to screech away on their violins or something. OTherwise probably only went if there was a book signing they could make $ from. I do see library trips in Felicity's future and maybe Benessa's kids also.

• Upvote 6
  • Sad 3

25 minutes ago, Four is Enough said:

College 13-16. 

I was assuming that the other two are:

- last year's first day at L1

- this year's first day at L2

But I just saw on his IG that he wrote: '19 years in public school and 2 years in seminary'. I don't get it. Does that mean he does not count last year's first day at law school? And if he already racked up 21 days, then shouldn't this one be #22? Or is he counting law school under 'public school'? (Would that be common to do in the US?)

I'm clearly thinking about this way too much, lol. 

• Upvote 5
  • Haha 4

Personally I wouldn't consider Law School as part of public school? Then again I wouldn't really call college public school either because it's expensive as hell and thus not really public.

• Upvote 5
  • I Agree 4

19 hours ago, Someone Out There said:

@OyToTheVey A number of dog behavioural issues (not all) are due to the owners rather than the dogs themselves.  My udnerstanding is that a lot of dog training is more about owner training.

@Sairrr I had neighbours that had a Husky.  I was not a fan of the howling at 5am in the morning (i.e. howling at dawn)... The next neighbours with their some sort of Terrier was much better.  It barked in a much better register (Not too high, and not too low).

I get that entirely! My neighbour has two awful little dogs that never stop barking (literally they start the moment I put my hand on my door handle to leave, it is insane) so if there was howling at 5am I’d hate that too! 

I personally have never heard Casper howl though when I first brought him home two years ago it was a huge issue any time I left him alone as he had terrible separation anxiety. He was about 3 when I rescued him and had a pretty unhappy life and was/is just generally very fearful and had barely spent any time indoors even. So two minutes home alone and he’d freak out. Luckily after the first three months (where he spent days with my mom) I began working at home and therefore had the time to work really hard on it with him and he no longer makes any noise when I leave him alone! It took ages and I worried he’d never be okay alone. Now I have a furbo to check in on him and get alerts just in case but he’s been silent for at least a year. He’s a very good boy ?

Teaching him that he’s not pulling a dog sled anymore when we walk has been an entirely different experience though haha 

• Love 10

I have a chihuahua mix who is a mama’s boy and an 80 pound boxer mix who is obsessed with my husband. The 80 pounder is a handful to walk and I swear by gentle leaders. Lifesaver for us and for him. He also has anxiety that he’s medicated for, but that’s another story.  Both of them bark at people walking by, the neighbors, repair men etc. I like that they alert to me stuff, especially when I’m home alone with my baby. I try to call them in when they are outside barking, though. I don’t want them to be super annoying. But I definitely think my neighbors know my big dog’s name ??‍♀️  (We don’t know the neighbors well and I’m sure they have no clue what our names are)

• Upvote 4
  • Love 1

On 8/26/2019 at 9:06 PM, OyToTheVey said:

My upstairs neighbor has a golden. For a dog with a rep of being a family dog, he’s so aggressive and hyper. One time he ran across the street and almost got hit by a car. The problem was that he’s very white. Beautiful dog but a very white dog in the middle of a snow storm, he’s kinda hard to see. I actually caught the whole thing thru a window. Almost in slow motion. As he got away from his owner, he ran across a street and the car could barely stop since it was snowing and there was like 3 inches on the ground plus there were cars behind him. Thank gd nothing happened but it could have been a disaster. I hear that dog barking all the time. At every person that passes. He’s always dragging the owner. It could just be shit owners tho. But his hair looks shiny and he’s a good weight so he looks taken care of just not trained. He def needs training. 

I would go insane with the barking. I cannot tolerate any pet that is not well behaved. I had a roommate once who had a hyper black lab that I trained to obey a dozen verb and non verbal commands. Roommate refused to walk her and did not want her walked so I upped the mental game. The dog learned to behave. I also trained the neighbors dogs to not bark at us when we go outside.  It's not hard. 

I even train the cats various Gnomes call pets, easier to do when they are kittens than when they are adopted as adults with bad habits.

Life is to short to deal with badly behaved pets.

• Upvote 6
  • Bless Your Heart 1

Our new husky-mix pup gets super excited when people come over. Our trainer taught us to put her in her crate when people first come over, and let her calm down and acclimate while in her crate. We let her out when she seems calm and seems to jump much less on the visitors when we do this. 

• Upvote 1

40 minutes ago, Gnomewizard said:

I also trained the neighbors dogs to not bark at us when we go outside.  It's not hard. 

Can you describe or summarize how you approached this?

I've always been a bit mystified about training a dog to *not* do something.

Praising/rewarding them when they *stop* doing something like barking doesn't seem specific enough as to what behavior it's rewarding.

Also any hints about training cats?  

By always saying the same phrases in the same voice at suppertime or treat-time, I've gotten them familiar with the routine, which leads to somewhat consistent behavior but certainly not always.  And something that happens at random times and when I'm not right on the spot (such as fighting that happens when I am in another room) is hard for me to figure out how to respond to in a useful way.

Thank you in advance!

• Upvote 4

18 hours ago, marshmallow said:

I was assuming that the other two are:

- last year's first day at L1

- this year's first day at L2

But I just saw on his IG that he wrote: '19 years in public school and 2 years in seminary'. I don't get it. Does that mean he does not count last year's first day at law school? And if he already racked up 21 days, then shouldn't this one be #22? Or is he counting law school under 'public school'? (Would that be common to do in the US?)

I'm clearly thinking about this way too much, lol. 

K-12 = 13 years

4 years at Oklahoma State University - a state supported public university

2 years in seminary

Year 1 and now year 2 of Law School at the University of Arkansas - a state supported public university

Total: 21 years

Edited by Born Skeptic
  • Upvote 4

I've never counted college as "public school" myself. My student loans won't let me. I refer to my framed diploma as my "$40,000 piece of art".

• Upvote 11
  • Rufus Bless 2
  • Haha 5
  • I Agree 2

• Georgiana locked this topic