IGNORED

Answers in Genesis employee reveals all

Nolongeroppressed8.4

9 minutes ago, DarkAnts said:

I do wonder how much of her treatment was due to her gender. I wish she would touch on this.

She did only a little bit when she said the job she was best for was for men only. If she looks deeper into the sexism of fundie and evangelical culture, she may end up rather shocked and overwhelmed. I think so many women are brainwashed into thinking men leading women as the most godly and right way to live. But that’s obviously not true when it come so to Ken Hamm. She has to see that. The sexism may be her fundie undoing.

• Upvote 10
  • I Agree 1

You can read a bunch of other reviews from former employees on glassdoor. It seems like a LOT of them had similar complaints, so possibly not unique to female employees? A number of them also mention being required to "volunteer" after their shifts ended, which, uh, you should go to court if that happens to you 

• Upvote 2
  • I Agree 1
  • Thank You 9
  • Love 4

I have a pretty big fascination with AiG and the Ark. I used to be a young earth creationist, and even though I'm no longer one (I guess you could say I'm more of a theistic evolutionist now), I GET how hard it is to wrestle through those issues when your flavor of Christianity and interpretation of the Bible seems to allow a very narrow view of the history of the universe. Which is probably why I make a point of watching lots of AiG videos, and I've even visited the Creation Museum and the Ark to try to understand more about this subculture. There's a lot of fear woven into the lectures and videos of the ministry - including the fear of Christianity losing its predominance in American culture. There seems to be a very strong sense of persecution from the outside world, and I believe an underlying wish that they were taken much more seriously by non young earthers. (Eg when Ken Ham was showing Bill Nye the ark the day after it opened, he was trying to elicit positive comments from him, and finally asked something like "At least can you appreciate the craftsmanship of the Amish workers who built this structure?") There appears to be a strong desire for validation from outsiders, hence Mr. Ham's constant references to receiving compliments on how this or that is done better than Hollywood or Disney.

I don't know what the full story is behind this person's account. If it's an accurate telling, and given AiG's apparent interest in being taken seriously by the secular world, I can understand why an emphasis on providing theme park level services could create undue pressure on employees who see what they're doing as ministries more than jobs.

Btw, I find it interesting that Phylicia Masonheimer's name came up with respect to this discussion, because she spoke at this year's "Answers for Women" conference.

• Upvote 6
  • Love 1

21 hours ago, Nolongeroppressed8.4 said:

During my time there I witnessed rank partiality and favoritism, nepotism, inconsistent or non-existent communication, bullying, and spiritual abuse - as in, guilt is used as a motivator because AiG is “doing the Lord’s work, and who are you to stand in the way of that?” When people proactively try to speak up to change the culture and pace for the better, staff meetings emphasizing “submission to authority” ensue or, in some cases, people are pushed/bullied out of the organization. 

Above from the girl's story is a good summary of the time I taught in an evangelical Christian school. 

But there, we stayed too long for the students not for co-workers. 

• Upvote 1
  • Love 7

11 hours ago, nelliebelle1197 said:

Oh dear lord. Just when I had happily forgotten her.

I know, I know!  I just did a quick tour of her fb page and she's not currently posting about how wonderful Trump is.  Josh Harris was being discussed and she refused to engage in a pile  on about his attendance at a gay-pride parade.  She just kept saying that she was waiting to hear what he had to say.  

Also, my city (Austin, TX) has just allowed open camping on public spaces (including sidewalks and underpasses) for the homeless.  Jen and her fb followers were raging on about how awful this is, because Jen could not find a downtown parking space for a conference she attended this past week, presumably because the homeless were taking her parking spaces, or something.  "Christians" all, these commenters had zero compassion for homeless people who were living outside or in tents when the thermometer in the shade of my porch has shown brutal (and accurate) daily highs of 104 to 106 degrees every damn day for the last two weeks. 

Anyway, relative to AIG, sort of, Joe Taylor (mtblanco.com) popped up on Jen's fb requesting that she contact him.  Joe Taylor is a young earth dinosaur "scientist"  who ended up getting screwed in the crazy that was one of Doug's movie scam Raising the Allosaur

You can read more about some of Joe Taylor's young earth dinosaur crazy here

• Upvote 9
  • Sad 1

7 minutes ago, Howl said:

I know, I know!  I just did a quick tour of her fb page and she's not currently posting about how wonderful Trump is.  Josh Harris was being discussed and she refused to engage in a pile  on about his attendance at a gay-pride parade.  She just kept saying that she was waiting to hear what he had to say.  

Also, my city (Austin, TX) has just allowed open camping on public spaces (including sidewalks and underpasses) for the homeless.  Jen and her fb followers were raging on about how awful this is, because Jen could not find a downtown parking space for a conference she attended this past week, presumably because the homeless were taking her parking spaces, or something.  "Christians" all, these commenters had zero compassion for homeless people who were living outside or in tents when the thermometer in the shade of my porch has shown brutal (and accurate) daily highs of 104 to 106 degrees every damn day for the last two weeks. 

Anyway, relative to AIG, sort of, Joe Taylor (mtblanco.com) popped up on Jen's fb requesting that she contact him.  Joe Taylor is a young earth dinosaur "scientist"  who ended up getting screwed in the crazy that was one of Doug's movie scam Raising the Allosaur

You can read more about some of Joe Taylor's young earth dinosaur crazy here

REMEMBER THE ALLOSAUR! 

• Haha 9

1 hour ago, nelliebelle1197 said:

REMEMBER THE ALLOSAUR! 

Loon or not, IIRC DPIAT pretty much ruined Joe Young’s business / livelihood?  That’s bad stuff.

• Upvote 4
  • I Agree 1

6 hours ago, Howl said:

I'm near Denver (CO) and the debates are raging here, too. I would be most inclined to support more affordable housing and job counseling/placement so fewer people would BE homeless. But there are enough people who would rather push the homeless out and ignore the problem they can't see anymore to keep that from happening.

• Upvote 9

• 2 months later...
On 8/21/2019 at 10:33 AM, MamaJunebug said:

Loon or not, IIRC DPIAT pretty much ruined Joe Young’s business / livelihood?  That’s bad stuff.

Find me one person who went into business operations of any kind with DP that didn’t get screwed ......... didn’t he start VF with a mailing list he essentially stole from HSLDA? Used and abused Little Bear Wheeler? Cheated And Bullied his way to success.....

Edited by Nolongeroppressed8.4
  • Upvote 3

On 8/21/2019 at 2:00 PM, Walking Cat Bed said:

But there are enough people who would rather push the homeless out and ignore the problem they can't see anymore to keep that from happening.

I have a sense that the City Council made this bold move to move the homeless situation into direct view of citizens, which could then force people to talk about solutions.  And when I say direct view, there are family sized tents with accessory "rooms" popping up under highway overpasses.  

• Upvote 1