IGNORED

Bike ride adventures

47of74

Had time over lunch break for a quick ride up to a nearby park today and back.

• Thank You 2

Looks good, but kinda wintry.  Hope those trees get some leaves pretty soon! 

We set a record of 95 degrees today...need to try to get in an in-town ride tomorrow.  The city has shut down all parks, trails, paths starting tomorrow night (Thursday) until Monday -- the entire Easter weekend. People seem unable to social distance, so this should help them not congregate. 

• Upvote 2

25 minutes ago, Howl said:

Looks good, but kinda wintry.  Hope those trees get some leaves pretty soon! 

We set a record of 95 degrees today...need to try to get in an in-town ride tomorrow.  The city has shut down all parks, trails, paths starting tomorrow night (Thursday) until Monday -- the entire Easter weekend. People seem unable to social distance, so this should help them not congregate. 

I know it's difficult to see in the video, but actually the trees are starting to bud now and other things are starting to turn green again.  I even saw a couple people mowing their lawn even though it'll be a few more weeks until lawns are truly ready for mowing.  I hope people didn't damage their yards by mowing early.  Of course it being April we can have all four seasons in the space of a week and they're saying we might have snow on Easter this year. 

Up in Dubuque two of the main parks (Eagle Point and Murphy) were opened early by the park and recreation department and they're encouraging people to visit as long as they maintain social distancing.  They're keeping the facilities (restrooms, playgrounds, pavilions, sporting courts, etc closed for now).  With Eagle Point they even waived the $1 vehicle admission fee for now.  (That's probably more to eliminate cashiers having to handle boob/sock/underthings money).  Usually they don't open until around the first part of May although with Eagle Point the park is never actually completely closed off.  People can still get up in to the park during the fall and spring but there's no way to get a vehicle up in to the park and there are no services during the off season.  

Edited by 47of74
  • Upvote 3

Got a decent ride in this afternoon for Good Friday...

Got up close to 50 when I was out but it was fairly windy today and it was a cold wind too. 

Supposed to be a bit warmer tomorrow but maybe some showers so we'll just have to see how it is.  It's not supposed to be all that nice on Sunday with rain and snow predicted.  It's supposed to be a bit colder too next week.

• Thank You 2

We dusted off our bikes a couple days ago and did a quick ride into town (10 miles round trip).  Definitely need to get our legs in biking shape.  Ow.  The weather here is in the 60s, so nice for getting out and about.  No trails or parks closed here that we are aware of, but that could change.   Have a great weekend, everyone!  ?❄️?‍♀️

• Upvote 3

Managed to get a ride in today.

It was up in the 50s when I went out riding, and the wind wasn't too bad.  I had layered up a bit so I wasn't overly cold today.  It was starting to look dark out so I cut the ride a bit short today.  Good thing I did because about 20 minutes after I got home it started raining and is still raining now.  Based on the forecast it might be a couple days til my next ride. 

• Thank You 2

Nice ride and those gravel/dirt roads look sweet.  What's your bike and tire set up?

• Upvote 1

I have a Specialized Como eBike.  The tires are a bit thicker so it works better on gravel so far. Of course we’ll have to see once the county puts fresh gravel down. 

The weather was nice enough this morning for a pleasant Easter Morning Ride. I was able to get a 10mile one in this morning. 

Looks like it’s clouding up and rain is coming again. 

• Thank You 1

And I got a second ride in this afternoon since the weather was still fairly pleasant after lunch.

Wasn't too cold or windy out so I got a good ride in.  Started clouding up though and it looks like the rain isn't too far away.

• Upvote 1
  • Thank You 1

The weather wasn't as bad as I thought it was going to be so I got a quickie in today (no, not that kind of quickie either.  Mind.  Gutter.  Remove). 

It was colder out today than it was this past weekend and the wind was gusting a bit so I didn't go for an overly long ride today.  Supposed to be nicer again this weekend.

• Thank You 2

Got a quickie (no not that kind) in over lunch.

• Upvote 1
  • Thank You 1

Went for a ride up in town today after work.

Not too many people out - probably not so much cause social distancing and more how cold and windy it was today.

• Thank You 2

Headed out in to the local wind tunnel again today.

I hope it warms up a bit this weekend like they're saying now.  I'm ready to not have to wrap myself in a cocoon every time I go out to ride.

• Thank You 2

My second bike ride of the year.  Upped the mileage from 10 to 27 today, and my body feels it!  It was about 70 today, and I had to unwrap a layer, so that was nice.  The burger joint was open for takeout, so we indulged.  Saw an old friend and said howdy from a socially appropriate distance.  Nice day except for so much pollen in the air, yikes! 

Here is a photo from a stop by the river.  I am watching some young people splashing in the water up around the bend (the photo quality is likely not good enough to see them).  Anyway, that water comes off a glacier, so it had to be cold.  Great day.

Spoiler

Bike_ride_along_river.thumb.jpg.caecdc583403a81a313bcad1b7bcd5aa.jpg

• Upvote 1
  • Love 1

Went out for a ride over lunch time today. 

Once it's warm enough on a weekend I might do the monster ride again on Heritage Trail from Dubuque to Dyersville even if the brewery isn't able to have regular service yet.  In that case I might just buy some beers and take most of them home.  (You'll note I said most).  We'll just have to see. 

And these days the weather is being checked on a regular basis to decide when the best times to ride are and significant amounts of brain power are being used on figuring out where to ride next.  

• Thank You 1

Headed up in to town this afternoon after work to get some more riding in...

A few more people out this afternoon.  I think that has more to do with the timing more than the social distancing given that it was a chilly Friday afternoon.  Even in more normal times there would not be a lot of people out and about given today's weather. 

• Upvote 1

That was a pretty ride from start to finish.  It looks like the trees are starting to bud.  The "road closed" sign reminded me that on one of our usual trails, we have to detour around a train track (turn off from asphalt to gravel, onto a busy road, then pick up the asphalt trail again).  Our last ride, we missed the "trail closed ahead" sign and road about 1/2 mile to a fenced off section.  The local government apparently got permission from the railroad to straighten and continue the trail by tunneling under the tracks.  That will be so nice once it's done.

• Upvote 1

5 hours ago, CTRLZero said:

That was a pretty ride from start to finish.  It looks like the trees are starting to bud.  The "road closed" sign reminded me that on one of our usual trails, we have to detour around a train track (turn off from asphalt to gravel, onto a busy road, then pick up the asphalt trail again).  Our last ride, we missed the "trail closed ahead" sign and road about 1/2 mile to a fenced off section.  The local government apparently got permission from the railroad to straighten and continue the trail by tunneling under the tracks.  That will be so nice once it's done.

Thank you. Glad you liked it. Something they’re doing with the Bee Branch in Dubuque is to tunnel under railroad tracks too. They’re doing that so flood waters drain better and putting in pedestrian tunnels so there’s a direct connection to the rest of the trail system.  They’re saying next summer as the target date. 

Meanwhile I got my first Heritage Trail ride of the season in today.  Forgot the GoPro so no time lapses today. 
F559F949-F6B5-404B-956B-B0383BC49D1D.thumb.jpeg.591d6e23f28ba3beaaf99f819c24451b.jpeg

It was up in the 60s. It was windy but it wasn’t a cold win like what we’ve been having. Couple more pictures in the spoilers. 

Spoiler

7ACC72B3-EE02-4281-9FC4-0630BF064E83.jpeg.26cb263a7c9ef4beb159da808fba852c.jpeg

Spoiler

B1C0713F-D7BE-4647-8F38-1731DF7292FC.jpeg.03307052e38b0ab8fc48e09c6e219276.jpeg

• Upvote 2

Found out that Whole Foods has a 60+ geezer and geezette hour from 7 - 8 am.  Even though it was a drizzly (60 degrees) day, I decided to go for it and ride my bike over. 

Deserted streets! Everyone now has to wear a mask inside public places (including employees) & there were very few people in the store.  My checkout person was a cheerful morning person who used her scan gun as I held up each item, so no contact! 

It all felt much safer than my last trip there.  Not sure how I did it, but got just the right amount of stuff  to completely fill up my two panniers and the bag on the rack. 

A fun early morning errand on the bike! 

• Upvote 2
  • Love 1

Got another good one in today on the Heritage Trail - this time from Graf (about the midpoint of the trail) over to Farley and back.

About 21 miles total today.  It was in the 50s today.  Pleasant enough but windy.  The trip back to Graf was a bit easier since I wasn't riding into the wind then.

Edited by 47of74
  • Upvote 1
  • Thank You 1

Got a ride in this afternoon. 

Few sprinkles.  It was up close to 60 again today.  But it was really windy.  There were a few sprinkles as well.

Supposed to be cold and windy tomorrow so I don't know how much riding I'll get in tomorrow. 

• Thank You 1

Twofer Tuesday - got a couple in today both during lunch and then again after work.

Time lapses of both are in the spoilers

Spoiler

Spoiler

Just wanted to do something different with the soundtrack for the second one so I went with part of Trilogia do Obituario - which uses a Bulgarian Orthodox hymn.

• Upvote 1

Since I was off today I got a nice long one in today riding around Dubuque. 

It was nice and warm at first but then it clouded up a bit and we had some brief showers which caused the temperature to drop a bit.  Still it was a pretty nice ride.  I only needed a light jacket today.

I thought it was supposed to be all around crappy with rain but the day turned out to not be too bad.  Even though it was overcast it was warm out and the wind wasn't bad for once.  So of course that meant going out and riding after work today...

One of these days when we can go back in to the office and the gyms in town are open the ass crack of dawn rides shall commence.  When I do those rides I do a brief gym workout, take a shower there, then head to the office. 

Edited by 47of74
  • Upvote 1
  • Thank You 1

Got a nice one in today - did a big loop around the city of Dubuque.

It was about 25 miles total.  Weather wasn't too bad even though it was overcast. 

• Thank You 1