IGNORED

Bike ride adventures

47of74

And it's also Strava O'Clock somewhere!

Edited by 47of74
  • Upvote 3

Got some riding in today..

I rode around on the new interchange for US 61/151 and the Southwest Arterial.  The interchange is open so people on Old Davenport Rd have a connection to the highway but the Arterial isn't open.  Once they finish opening that highway the interchange will likely be too busy for riding unless they have bike paths going. 

I actually was going to do this last winter but they were delayed in opening the interchange to traffic.   I then had that spill that fornicated up my wrist and traffic finger so I didn't get the chance.  I also figured get it in now while I've got my health. 

• Upvote 1
  • Thank You 1

We just got back from a trip to Sedona for a mountain bike festival.  Beautiful place, but the trails for the most part are way technical (big ledgy drops into washes, followed by a steep, punchy, eroding fall-line climb out), repeat repeat repeat.  

We're back home now.  Spring started in mid February (too early) and is now in full force.  Won't be doing our regular social rides though, until corona virus settles down.  We're in the high risk, way over 60 vulnerable demographic.  I'm taking this seriously and self quarantining.  The great thing about cycling is you can go out solo, breathe fresh air and not get close to anybody, so not confined to the house. 

Stay safe and healthy, y'all. 

While on our Sedona trip, I was gobsmacked to learn  that South by Southwest, a huge, week-long extravaganza of film, screenwriting, music and interactive was cancelled.  It generates millions of dollars for business and is an annual Very Big Deal in Austin.  That it was cancelled a week before it was set to start is an indication of how seriously we should all take corona virus.  Flatten the Curve! 

Edited by Howl
  • Upvote 4

My daughter just bought a new mountain bike, and I am so tempted to get one for myself this year.  We have several long rails-to-trails systems.  One system I'd love to ride turns from asphalt to gravel after about six miles at either end (with a couple of highway detours, it goes on for 50+ miles).  First time I tried the gravel portion with my regular road bike, it was not a good situation.  Riders with sturdier tires were doing just fine, though.

If you have any recommendations in what to look for in a mountain bike (I'm over 60, so not intentionally doing any jumps, lol), feel free to share.  Thanks, and also thanks for participating in Flattening the Curve!

Edited by CTRLZero
Always the typos!
  • Upvote 2

1 minute ago, Howl said:

We just got back from a trip to Sedona for a mountain bike festival.  Beautiful place, but the trails for the most part of way technical (big ledgy drops into washes, followed by a steep punchy eroding fall-line climb out), repeat repeat repeat.  

We're back home now.  Spring is in full force.  Won't be doing our regular social rides though, until corona virus settles down.  We're in the high risk, way over 60 vulnerable demographic and I'm taking this seriously.  But the great thing about cycling is that you can go out solo, breathe fresh air and not get close to anybody. 

Exactly - that's the great thing about a lot of outdoor activities like hiking or biking.  Those can be done solo and you don't have to get close to other people.  I'm going to keep doing the bike rides.  It's better than waiting for the end.

• Upvote 2
  • I Agree 1

On 3/14/2020 at 10:57 AM, CTRLZero said:

If you have any recommendations in what to look for in a mountain bike (I'm over 60, so not intentionally doing any jumps, lol), feel free to share

If you have a large and customer friendly bike shop, they can get you headed in the right direction.   There are a lot of bikes with flat handlebars that would be great for gravel paths.  They aren't mountain bikes, exactly, they're meant for lighter duty.   You don't need a suspension fork if you aren't riding trails.  I would go for disc brakes though.  They're wonderful. 

Add to that, the whole "gravel biking" scene has exploded in the last five years or so.  Gravel bikes typically have dropped handlebars and a narrower, but still textured, tire than a mountain bike, and have disc brakes. 

If you are coming from a road bike background, you may prefer drop bars.  I personally prefer the more control I have with a flat handle bar.  

Right now my commuter bike is a hardtail mountain bike that I converted to city use.  I put on a rigid fork, and narrow tires but those rims could handle probably up to a 2.1" tire if need be. 

• Upvote 2
  • Thank You 1

On 3/14/2020 at 7:57 AM, CTRLZero said:

My daughter just bought a new mountain bike, and I am so tempted to get one for myself this year.  We have several long rails-to-trails systems.  One system I'd love to ride turns from asphalt to gravel after about six miles at either end (with a couple of highway detours, it goes on for 50+ miles).  First time I tried the gravel portion with my regular road bike, it was not a good situation.  Riders with sturdier tires were doing just fine, though.

If you have any recommendations in what to look for in a mountain bike (I'm over 60, so not intentionally doing any jumps, lol), feel free to share.  Thanks, and also thanks for participating in Flattening the Curve!

Mountain bikes work just fine on pavement and gravel. Road bikes? Pretty much only for the road. I would recommend going to a local bike shop and try out some different bikes. I also took a mountain bike class (all ages, mostly women aged 30 - 80) and that was INCREDIBLY helpful. Depending on your location, you might have something similar. We also have groups of women (dirt divas) that do mountain biking together, women only bike races, and several training groups. 

I'm still not a huge fan of mountain biking (went over my handlebars a few times and I'm kind of scared now) but any decent bike shop should be able to help you find something in your budget, that fits you, and makes you want to be on your bike. 

• Upvote 1

Even though it was cold it was nice enough out to go for a quick ride around the new interchange. Got about 500 feet before the chain jammed up. 

910D1A28-461D-4A1F-B394-82999EADE40B.thumb.jpeg.94eb09247c607d07f43e07908b330e37.jpeg

Wasn’t planning on going in to town today but had to go in anyways to get the chain fixed. Got to go in again tomorrow to pick up the bike. 

• Upvote 1
  • Rufus Bless 1

Got a decent one in today.

Weather was pretty nice for one today too.  I'm able to ride on Military Road in the middle of the day and not see much traffic at all.

• Upvote 1
  • Thank You 2

Did an in-town ride yesterday, from my house up north in the city down to Lady Bird Lake and back.  Maybe 20 miles round trip.   It was HOT, at or over 90 degrees.  There were a lot of people out and about and I kept my distance from everyone.  Some of my route was bike lane painted on streets, some bike lane separated by a physical barrier (big white bump things), some paved bike path, some low traffic streets, some shortcut through a business park.  It was sad not being able to stop in somewhere for a cold drink and a treat. 

We have a shelter-in-place order that began last night at midnight, but people can go out for walks and bike rides, at least for now.  My city has multiple universities, including the Big State University, which has around 50,000 or 60,000 students (including grad students).  That's a lot of people not in school who want to be out walking or sitting by the lake on a gorgeous day. 

Spring is almost done here.  Almost all trees are fully leafed out, except pecan trees, which are always late.  The wildflowers are showing up everywhere. So far, bluebonnets, plains coreopsis, pink evening primrose, firewheels.  

I always remind people that my city is the same latitude as Cairo, Egypt.  That said, spring started about a week to two weeks early.  Things were leafing out in mid February.  That is crazy early, even for us. 

Stay safe and well, y'all! 

Also, bike shops are considered essential businesses under the shelter in place order, and can stay open! 

Edited by Howl
  • Upvote 3

1 hour ago, Howl said:

Also, bike shops are considered essential businesses under the shelter in place order, and can stay open! 

Knowing the  idiot we have for a governor up here in Iowa I think any shelter in place orders by Kimmy would get totally fucked up and bike shops would not be considered essential, but businesses that donated large chunks of change to her would be even if they really shouldn't be considered essential. 

• Upvote 2

We also have an idiot for a governor, Greg Abbott, who has not ordered state-wide shelter in place.  Ours was ordered by the mayor.  Because the weather's been gorgeous (sunny and warm) I'm wondering if the bike/pedestrian path will be shut down around Lady Bird Lake.  Parts of it can get incredibly busy with walkers, strollers, joggers, runners, cyclists, with no way to maintain 6 feet of distance. 

Our lieutenant governor, Dan Patrick, was one of the eejits claiming that he'd die before leaving a wrecked economy for his grandkids, so open things back up as soon as possible!  

Edited by Howl
  • Upvote 3

Got two rides in today of about five miles each.  I went out at noon since it was supposed to and did start raining this afternoon.  Rain quit this afternoon and it was up about 50 so I went for a second ride which I did my GoPro thing on this time....

• Upvote 2

41 minutes ago, Howl said:

@47of74, what do you carry for back-up rain gear? 

Usually I have a plastic poncho in my work bag that I can wrap up pretty tightly and another one in the small bag I strap to my bike for extended trips.  I do keep an eye on the weather and try to avoid trips when I know it's going to rain but it does happen occasionally sometimes.

I went on an 11 mile adventure today.  Really windy around here today.  Wasn't an overly cold wind but heading in to it slowed me up a bit in spots and I did worry at one point it was going to blow me right over too.

• Upvote 2

It was pretty nice out today so I got a good one in this afternoon.

Sorry for it being so shaky today.  I used one of my helmet mounts instead of the handlebar mount like I normally do. 

It was up in the mid 50s this afternoon.  Still a bit windy today but not as bad as yesterday.

• Upvote 1
  • Thank You 1

And today the Dubuque County Front 40...

Mounted the GoPro to the side of my helmet today.  Got quite a workout because the assist didn't engage at first.  Bit colder then it was yesterday but the wind wasn't as bad.  Next up gotta remember where I stuck the chest mount. 

Edited by 47of74
  • Upvote 2

Turned out to be nice this afternoon so I was able to get a decent one in.

Little bit slower on the way back since I was riding in to the wind but it wasn't too bad this time. 

• Upvote 1
  • Thank You 1

It was a bit warmer out today so of course that meant the ol' FJ GoPro demon was out GoPro-ing it around the Dubuque County back 40 today

• Upvote 1

And today I went down to the new interchange and rode around some more around there since once the Arterial open it'll probably be way too busy for riding then...

It was so nice outside today.  If we didn't have this pandemic it would have been a good day to get on the Heritage Trail and ride out to Dyersville (with a brewery pit stop in the middle) and head back.  Of course since that idiot in Washington bungled that all it's not possible right now.  Fuck you very much Trump.

• Thank You 2

8 minutes ago, 47of74 said:

If we didn't have this pandemic it would have been a good day to get on the Heritage Trail and ride out to Dyersville (with a brewery pit stop in the middle) and head back.

Thank you for posting your bike rides.  What a beautiful day!  This is what I really miss during our confinement.  We used to take long walks (bike rides in the summer) and go to various pubs and burger joints along the way.  We still go on walks (and look forward to bike riding soon), but it's not the same.  Maybe next year, sigh.  Thanks, again.  ?

• I Agree 1
  • Thank You 1

24 minutes ago, 47of74 said:

And today I went down to the new interchange and rode around some more around there since once the Arterial open it'll probably be way too busy for riding then...

It was so nice outside today.  If we didn't have this pandemic it would have been a good day to get on the Heritage Trail and ride out to Dyersville (with a brewery pit stop in the middle) and head back.  Of course since that idiot in Washington bungled that all it's not possible right now.  Fuck you very much Trump.

I've been meaning to tell you that I'm really enjoying watching these bike rides.  After just being here in my house and walking in the neighborhood, it's nice to tag along on your rides.

I love the music on this one.

• Upvote 1
  • Thank You 1

Got a good Palm Sunday ride in today.

Another beautiful afternoon.  Little windy but the temperature was perfect for riding today.  Ride wound up being 21.1 miles, which is the longest one so far this season.

• Thank You 2

Overcast today but it wasn't too cold or windy out.

Supposed to be up in the 70s tomorrow with a chance of rain so I'll be out doing my thing with the GoPro tomorrow.

Here's the guys I've been getting my soundtracks from lately: http://www.gipsykings.com/

I also listen to them on my rides. 

I got hooked on them after hearing them in The Big Lebowski.

Spoiler has a video of Tonino Baliardo playing guitar for the socially distancing people...

Spoiler

• Thank You 2

It was up in the 70s today so of course that meant I was out riding this afternoon.  Warmest it's been so far this year and the first day it was up in the 70s.

In total it was about 21.69 miles.  

Instead of Gipsy Kings I instead went with The Buena Vista Social Club for today's musical selections.  

• Thank You 2