IGNORED

Bike ride adventures

47of74

If you are going to keep riding in the dark, I'm glad you have that powerful headlight.  Is it rechargeable?  The chest mount worked well.  Thanks for keeping up the posting.  I really enjoy it with my morning coffee.  [emoji3526]

Yes the light runs off the bike’s main battery. It runs anytime the bike has power. I also have a rear light on the bike.

Glad you like the videos.

(And nobody was chasing me. I just like Foggy Mountain Breakdown).
  • Upvote 2

This afternoon's ride up in Grant County, Wisconsin.

• Thank You 1

Oh, y'all, these bike vids are wonderful and refreshing.  We're just wrapping up 21 days of daily temps over 100 degrees and it was highs from 104 to 106 for longer than I like to think about.  Add at least five or six degrees to that for heat index. 

Yesterday I had  a mini bonk on the 20-mile social ride I do Tuesday mornings, due to the heat + humidity and it wasn't even 10 am when we wrapped up.  Just had to stop and drink a little sports drink about a tenth of a mile from the end. 

We have a cooling trend on the way with daily highs around 97, but it never gets below mid to high 70s at night.  August has been a doozy this year.  Fall doesn't really get here until early November; Sept is still pretty hot and October will be getting better. 

• Upvote 2

1 hour ago, Howl said:

Oh, y'all, these bike vids are wonderful and refreshing.  We're just wrapping up 21 days of daily temps over 100 degrees and it was highs from 104 to 106 for longer than I like to think about.  Add at least five or six degrees to that for heat index. 

Yesterday I had  a mini bonk on the 20-mile social ride I do Tuesday mornings, due to the heat + humidity and it wasn't even 10 am when we wrapped up.  Just had to stop and drink a little sports drink about a tenth of a mile from the end. 

We have a cooling trend on the way with daily highs around 97, but it never gets below mid to high 70s at night.  August has been a doozy this year.  Fall doesn't really get here until early November; Sept is still pretty hot and October will be getting better. 

It's been fairly pleasant around here lately.  Temps in the 70s and 80s around here.  Gets a little chilly in the mornings for those pre-ass crack of dawn rides so I make sure to wear heavier clothes if I'm doing one of those rides.   Supposed to be nice for the next several days at the  least. 

• Upvote 2

Got a really nice pre ass crack o dawn ride in this morning.

Sun came up at the perfect point in the ride too.
  • Upvote 1
  • Thank You 1

We have a ten-mile-long paved path in my city and also a loop around the dammed up river that bisects our town.  I'm realizing that many, many cities have them.  I found out recently that Tulsa (I think) has many paved bike/pedestrian trails. 

13 minutes ago, 47of74 said:

Sun came up at the perfect point in the ride too.

Wow, that was beautiful!  I was expecting Sunrise Serenade, but what was the musical selection du jour?  It was really fitting with the sunrise scenes. 

@Howl - we have a lot of rails-to trails systems in our area, and there is a series of guides called "Best Rail Trails" for various regions, including the Pacific Northwest.  Most of the abandoned rail lines were for timber harvesting and/or mining.  They are really a treasure for the local communities to enjoy. 

Wow, that was beautiful!  I was expecting Sunrise Serenade, but what was the musical selection du jour?  It was really fitting with the sunrise scenes. 
@Howl - we have a lot of rails-to trails systems in our area, and there is a series of guides called "Best Rail Trails" for various regions, including the Pacific Northwest.  Most of the abandoned rail lines were for timber harvesting and/or mining.  They are really a treasure for the local communities to enjoy. 

Glad you liked the music. The music was from the 1961 film The Agony and the Ecstasy. That was a film starring Rex Harrison and Charlton Heston about the painting of the Sistine Chapel ceiling. The specific track was the First Battle.

The Heritage Trail here was a former railroad line. I think the trail by Preston, Iowa was so an abandoned line as well.
  • Thank You 1

Texas has rail trails scattered across the state.  One goes from Grandview to Mineral Wells (Lake Mineral Wells Trailway) -- not too long but well maintained.  This is (roughly) west of Fort Worth.  

The 130-mile long Northeast Texas Trail (netexastrail.org/) looks pretty rough. I don't think there is total buy in from the local communities to really work towards maintenance of adjacent sections of trail.  

• Upvote 1

Down in Waukee this morning. My sister and brother in law live less than a mile from some trails. Went on a quick ride this morning.

• Thank You 2

Got a bit of a longer ride in this morning at sunrise.

• Thank You 1

Totally awesome shots of the sunrise!  As always, thanks for posting.  Today is moving day for my mother-in-law (hospital/rehab to assisted living), so this video got me off to an inspiring start.  ? 

What were those posts/trellis-like thing you were riding through?  Is that part of a park? 

Totally awesome shots of the sunrise!  As always, thanks for posting.  Today is moving day for my mother-in-law (hospital/rehab to assisted living), so this video got me off to an inspiring start.  [emoji4] 
What were those posts/trellis-like thing you were riding through?  Is that part of a park? 

Thank you! [emoji3]. Glad you’re enjoying them. Those post/trellis things are part of the park. I guess they’re at the heads and major stops.
  • Thank You 1

Here's a time lapse of my Labor Day morning ride from Waukee to Adel and back...

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, 47of74 said:

Waukee to Adel

My husband's grandparents were from Gravity, Iowa, about a hundred miles south of there.  As we've been cleaning out his mom's house, we've come across a lot of photos from that area.  The landscape and old buildings look similar.  Thanks -- and enjoyed your music selection!

Dawn’s butt crack rides again this morning

• Thank You 1

Superman!  You get some glorious sunrises out there.  Thanks for sharing!  I just noticed your location addition, too.   I may update mine.

This morning’s circuit

• Thank You 1

So enjoyable sharing this new aspect of fj cycling!  Thank y'all for sharing your wonderful rides! 

We're still frying here in Central Texas with temps over 100 every day; porch thermometer was 107 in the shade yesterday.  I do get up and ride 7+ miles to the gym and back home two or three days a week.  I was looking at the 10-day forecast on Weather Underground and they have some new graphics charting relative humidity through the day.  It peaks at around 90% about the time I get to the gym, then starts dropping gradually through the day to about 30% at around 6 pm. 

Looking forward to planning a shakedown bike-packing trip when it cools down later this fall, maybe late October or early November, in the Sam Houston National Forest, which is ballpark 70 miles north of Houston. 

• Upvote 2

8 hours ago, Howl said:

So enjoyable sharing this new aspect of fj cycling!  Thank y'all for sharing your wonderful rides!

Glad you like all the bike ride adventures.

I went on the big 53 mile one today from Heritage Pond to Dyersville and back.  (Of course with brewery pit stop in the middle). 

sep7ride.thumb.jpg.b5e0e3986bd851e47ca8977b786018d6.jpg

Here's the flickr album with all the pictures I took.

https://flic.kr/s/aHsmGN85UA

My GoPro crapped out today and the time lapse video file to Dyersville got corrupted.  I couldn't record one on the way back.  I'm trying to see if I can recover the video.  I was not a happy camper about the GoPro corrupting the video.

• Thank You 1

Bummer about the GoPro, and hope you get it sorted out, but the photos were great.  Thank you!  What a pretty day!  I looked up the brewpub, Textile Brewing, "Beer that's Sew Great!"  :sewmachine:? Hope you enjoyed your pit stop. 

• Thank You 1

3 minutes ago, CTRLZero said:

Bummer about the GoPro, and hope you get it sorted out, but the photos were great.  Thank you!  What a pretty day!  I looked up the brewpub, Textile Brewing, "Beer that's Sew Great!"  :sewmachine:? Hope you enjoyed your pit stop. 

Thank you!  Yes I did enjoy my pit stop. I stayed about an hour longer than I planned cause I was watching the Hawkeyes wipe up Kinnick with Scarlet Knights.  First big ten opener shutout for the Hawks in 38 years. 

Textile just opened a couple months ago and it’s giving people using the Heritage Trail a good reason to stop there.  They have good beers there and the owner is friendly.  Nice place to camp out after a long ride in.

In a few weeks the trail should be really comfortable as leaves start turning  

• Upvote 1

9 hours ago, 47of74 said:

In a few weeks the trail should be really comfortable as leaves start turning 

I meant cool, not comfortable.  Fornicating autocorrect. 

Got a quick one in this morning. 

It had been raining earlier this morning and had quit for a while.  The various weather services indicated the rain would be coming back later but it came back a bit sooner than expected so I said heck with it and cut it short today. 

Wow!  Just discovered there are other FJ cyclists!  Love the videos.  I *finally* get to start back after an injury - perfect timing as Texas may begin to get less oven-like.

• Upvote 2
  • I Agree 1

Got a couple short rides in today.  Here’s the YouTube time lapse of both of them  

• Thank You 1