IGNORED

"The Family" on Netflix- influential fundamentalist group

NakedKnees

I have watched the first four episodes. The National Prayer Breakfast takes on a whole new meaning!

• Upvote 2

I've started reading the book this is based on by Jeff Sharlet (on audio so observations as I read it will happen over the coming week or two).

From the documentary - egads is that where Bush 43 got 'new world order' from.  Also as someone who has used the term 'Jesus follower,' I immediately dumped that term not to be used again after seeing this.

Personal observation as I've read through this thread - while the fundies we follow would see these 'leaders' as fine upstanding men that hold their values etc and therefore vote for them. I, as a Christian, noticed some things of concern.  Specifically, I am put off by the seemingly sole focus of looking only at the gospels and not the rest of the Bible.  This appeared to include not looking at the old testament which has me scratching my head since Jesus built on teachings from the Old Testament.  (I won't go into not looking into the epistles/letters/revelation).  Also, the J Rods of this world wouldn't sit down to study with these men because I doubt they are KJV only.  

As for working with Muslims and other world leaders - that is clearly about a combination of power/world influence and their perception of teaching the whole world about Jesus (also known as evangelizing).  And remember that this group is focused on Jesus and not religion.  Islam does have Jesus.  

They do fit the pattern of patriarchy.  But I'll caution about not confusing patriarchy with quiverful because you can be fundie and highly patriarchal without having a bus full of kids.

• Upvote 6

Picked up a new term

Neo-Evangelicalism  (as opposed to Populist. Evangelicalism)

But the term that stood out during my listen on the morning commute was Dominionists (which I know I, for one, have discussed on this board in the past).  

What is seems from my listen so far is these are elitists.  They seem to believe that their wealth if they have it, was provided by Jesus/God.   There is a lot about appearances.  

Things operate in small cells.  Where men are accountable to each other.  (which then made me give a side-eye to the current even mainstream church movement of 'small groups')

• Upvote 3
  • I Agree 1
  • Thank You 2
  • Love 1

On 8/15/2019 at 3:15 PM, Walking Cat Bed said:

My family went to church with Mark Sil jander in the mid-to-late 80s. I don't remember HIM, but I remember his voice. I was too young to notice how full of himself the man is.

Oh jeez, I sound like one of our favorite sock puppet creators. I promise I'm not going to claim that I'm both childfree (true) and the parent of a genius preschooler who owns a constipated fish. Or a Russian ballerina who did a few years in the Peace Corps.

And I don't remember specific events at the Sil Jander house, but that Mark preached occasionally. Other families of similar financial status were more inclined to host pool parties and family events. Mark and fam were a bit more standoffish, but liked a church with people of "lower" status so they could feel special. (I checked my memory of events and Sil Jander's voice with my dad, as he was an adult at the time rather than a kid under 7.)

• Upvote 5

Okay the narrative is currently discussing Jonathan Edwards (Sinners in the Hands of an Angry God) And someone with the last name Stoddard (I think)

There was between my last post and this one (and sorry, I forgot to post about it when I got home so lost some of the names that were rattled off) discussion of some politicians and other leaders (some international) who are 'friends' of the family or 'associates' of the family.  Among them were The father of Televangelist Pat Robertson.  And GHW Bush (41) was an associate - however GW Bush (43) is noted to have been 'saved' by/at a group that has family ties.  

• 4 weeks later...

Still reading this (mostly on audio).  Really good read and I recommend the book for folks here.  So far we have covered the monetization of abstinence, all sorts of political connections.  And I stopped the book on Saturday morning in the car because in Chapter 13 - subject matter - homeschooling - we have a mention of... VISION FORUM.  (Hey the author really did his homework).  And because of the VF call out I *had* to come here before continuing.  Tried listening to a bit more on the way to work this morning but after a mention of Doug (who is a tool) Philips - his Harvard grad father (Howard?) who converted to Christianity from Judaism we hit Phillips (not sure which one - probably the father) 'discovering' Jerry Falwell (which is where I stopped).  

• Upvote 5

On 8/21/2019 at 9:22 AM, clueliss said:

Okay the narrative is currently discussing Jonathan Edwards (Sinners in the Hands of an Angry God) And someone with the last name Stoddard (I think)

To me, “Jonathan Edwards” will always mean this guy:

• Haha 1

On 8/16/2019 at 11:20 AM, feministxtian said:

Thank God I'm a hippie-dippie liberal Xtian who takes the red letter words seriously, the rest, not so much. 

Sister!!!!!

@clueliss wrote,

“Specifically, I am put off by the seemingly sole focus of looking only at the gospels and not the rest of the Bible. “

Also, Sister! Indeed, you can’t have one without the other. Without the Law (and our inability to keep it perfectly) there is no need for the Gospel. A Christianity of gospel alone becomes a happy-slappy playground: “Do what you choose!  God forgives!”  

Edited by MamaJunebug
  • Upvote 1

The chapter (13) then went on to discuss Rushdooney (do I know that name reference from here? - probably), rewriting of American History and the Fundi idolization of Stonewall Jackson (because godly man and an associated weird belief that the Confederate States would have abolished slavery all on their own (in time)

• Upvote 2

I need to pick this back up, I guess. The first episode was so boring/cheesy (the acting was bad) that I just couldn't finish it.