IGNORED

Do Evangelicals really think Trump is the Messiah?

Black Aliss

1 hour ago, usedtobenice said:

I truly believe that evangelicals are the way they are because in their (very) small minds, they can feel pious and look down on everyone else. They know the TRUTH!!! Unlike the rest of us heathens, they will enter eternity through pearly gates, live in mansions and walk streets of gold.

Trump lives in mansions, behind gates and while his streets might not be made of gold, his NY penthouse is, so maybe they view it as he has shown them a glimpse of things to come. That's why perhaps some see him as the Messiah.

But, i pretty much think most are assholes and he gives them the freedom to be bigoted assholes, not only without repercussions, but he praises them for it.

If so , and I wouldn't personally go so far as to say that it's universally true , then they have lost all credibility , as to their witness . For the Bible clearly condemns such attitudes . For just some examples .  { 

https://www.biblegateway.com/passage/?search=Mark+10:25&version=KJV   , https://www.biblegateway.com/passage/?search=JOHN+13%3A35&version=NIV  , https://www.biblegateway.com/passage/?search=Colossians+3%3A5-10&version=NIV  , https://www.biblegateway.com/passage/?search=Ephesians+5+%3A+1-7&version=NIV  }  And also , to be fair , there are some evangelicals who are Democrats . For an example , this person .   

• Upvote 2

We are not talking about liberal evangelicals here. The question is why Trump supporters think he is the Messiah. Trump supporters are not liberals, so I'm not sure why you even brought that up.

And yes, in my opinion, those evangelicals have lost all credibility with their support of Trump's policies.

• Upvote 4

We are not talking about liberal evangelicals here. The question is why Trump supporters think he is the Messiah. Trump supporters are not liberals, so I'm not sure why you even brought that up.
And yes, in my opinion, those evangelicals have lost all credibility with their support of Trump's policies.

I think the point is that there are some Christians out there (like myself) who don’t think Fuck Face is the second coming.
  • Upvote 5
  • I Agree 6
  • Thank You 3

1 minute ago, 47of74 said:

I think the point is that there are some Christians out there (like myself) who don’t think Fuck Face is the second coming.

Yes, but we're talking about right wing evangelicals. Not mainstream xtians.

• Upvote 3

On 8/13/2019 at 3:39 PM, Hane said:

There are some extreme fundies who believe his endorsement of Israel will usher in a war that will start Armageddon.

At a  nice and safe distance from USA and Australia.

• Upvote 6

That is a good question.  I can call trump a carny.  

Falwell and Pence are as despicable as Trump is.  They are trying to con the carny if you will.  They are the CCC to his Klan.  And don't realize that no longer works.  The rank and file frankly saw Hillary as dangerous and ignored the enormous lists of problems with Trump and friends. Trump became this larger than life Orange Calf and the people did worship at it's feet.  And they react badly when challenged.  Really really badly.  So to answer the OP yes and no. 

• Upvote 6
  • Love 1

This makes me sick. 

Hey fundies, try buying a red letter Bible and ACTUALLY READ THE RED PARTS!

• Upvote 4
  • I Agree 7

2 hours ago, Wolf in Sheeples’ Clothing said:

This makes me sick. 

Hey fundies, try buying a red letter Bible and ACTUALLY READ THE RED PARTS!

If only. 

• Upvote 5
  • I Agree 1

Another issue, I think, with right-wing evangelicals is the prosperity gospel mentality. They believe that, if you are godly, God will reward you with riches. So, they plant $$ seeds expecting God to multiply those $$. Trump has all of the appearances of being wealthy, so he must be extra blessed by God.

• Upvote 2
  • I Agree 12

False Teachers and the Love of Money

These are the things you are to teach and insist on. 3 If anyone teaches otherwise and does not agree to the sound instruction of our Lord Jesus Christ and to godly teaching, 4 they are conceited and understand nothing. They have an unhealthy interest in controversies and quarrels about words that result in envy, strife, malicious talk, evil suspicions

https://www.biblegateway.com/passage/?search=2+Peter+2&version=NIV

This is what I think of them...and guess what???? It's fucking biblical

• Upvote 4
  • Love 1

LOL... the Orange One himself is now saying "I am the chosen one."

Maybe Evangelicals have had it wrong all this time, and they should have been rallying their masses by claiming that he's the Anti-Christ. :D

• Upvote 9

Read the profile of Sec. of State Pompeo and he's definitely of the belief that Trump was put in place by God to further the religious conservative agenda, But Wait! Now with Rapture! 

Yes, our Secretary of State, who graduated first in his class at West Point and was stellar at Harvard Law, buys into the Rapture and believes that Trump is a Queen Esther-like figure in God's plan.  

I'd also like to point out that an ex US ambassador was quoted in that piece as saying that Pompeo was a heat seeking missile for Trump's ass.  

Frankly, the Rapture can't get here soon enough.  The zealots will be gone and we'll have our country back in sane hands. 

• Upvote 6
  • WTF 2

And F**K Mark "Appalachian Trail" Sanford.  Honestly, he should be kissing Trump's ass, because Trump has basically made Sanford's history of infidelity and then stringing along his mistress for YEARS look not so bad.  

This 2014 article in the Seattle Times gives a pretty good summary of Sanford's dickishness: Mark Sanford’s spurned fiancée reveals her side of the story

Also, more relevant to this thread from Sanford's WIKI: 

Sanford told reporters that months before his affair became public he had sought counsel at a controversial religious organization called The Family, of which he became a member when he was a Representative in Washington, D.C. from 1995 to 2001.

• Upvote 6

On 8/22/2019 at 11:41 AM, Howl said:

Frankly, the Rapture can't get here soon enough.  The zealots will be gone and we'll have our country back in sane hands. 

I suspect rather that the truly awesome people will be gone and the zealots will still be here. If you were God, would you want some of these yahoos hanging around you?

• Upvote 2
  • Haha 4
  • Thank You 1

26 minutes ago, NotQuiteMotY said:

I suspect rather that the truly awesome people will be gone and the zealots will still be here. If you were God, would you want some of these yahoos hanging around you?

If there is a God, and if there is a heaven, and if there is a rapture, I think there will be one helluva lot of stunned people walking around wondering why they weren't taken. Like, basically every single person who believes they are going to be raptured.

• Upvote 5
  • I Agree 5
  • Love 3

I really don’t understand it. These evangelicals judge non-Christians for everything they deem to be a sin ... but a serial adulterer, plagued by sexual harassment claims, filthy mouthed liar ... well it’s okay for him. It’s not hypocritical at all. 

• Upvote 3
  • I Agree 6

12 hours ago, PennySycamore said:

@Howl, was the article about Pompeo the one in this week's issue of The New Yorker?

Yes, and we subscribe to the New Yorker; I couldn't find the issue in all the piles of magazines we have, so I had to log on and read on line. 

• Upvote 2

13 hours ago, PennySycamore said:

@smittykins,  I think that Born a Crime is out in paperback now.  

@Howl

I’ve heard that Lupita Nyongo told Trevor Noah that she wants to play his mother in the movie version!

• Upvote 1
  • Love 1

15 hours ago, NotQuiteMotY said:

According to this article https://www.newsmax.com/us/left-behind-book-series-the-rapture-bible/2015/05/05/id/642759/   , the one's to be " raptured " , i.e. wiped from the face of the earth , are going to be the wicked people .  Also , on another note , it has been argued that Donald Trump is the Antichrist .  http://www.thehypertexts.com/Donald Trump Antichrist 666.htm  

• Upvote 3

Even if Trump is not THE ANTICHRIST, he may be one of many Antichrists: "Children, it is the last hour, and as you have heard that Antichrist is coming, so now many Antichrists have come. Therefore we know that it is the last hour." (1 John 2:18)

The above is from the page @Marmion quoted. (The page is very long, very wordy, repetitious at times in making the author's point. I know nothing about the author or the author's points of view). That said, the long-time-Christian in me tends toward this particular statement, if indeed the Antichrist of Biblical prophecy is intended to be literal.

That said - and I am definitely not a theologian - I never was much of a student of the portions of the Bible that are considered prophecy. And the Bible, in addition to prophecy, is also history, symbolism/metaphor/parable, theology, etc. Portions of the book of Revelation are believed by some to be ways (historical) Christians in different locations communicated with each other without being literal in a time of intense persecution from the Roman government.

Back to the original subject - from my very quick skim-read of that page - the author does make some valid points about Trump. And I have long wondered why 80% or so of today's American "evangelical" Christian totally miss those same points.

• Upvote 3
  • I Agree 2

On 8/25/2019 at 1:37 PM, Marmion said:

According to this article https://www.newsmax.com/us/left-behind-book-series-the-rapture-bible/2015/05/05/id/642759/   , the one's to be " raptured " , i.e. wiped from the face of the earth , are going to be the wicked people .  Also , on another note , it has been argued that Donald Trump is the Antichrist .  http://www.thehypertexts.com/Donald Trump Antichrist 666.htm  

I thought it was that the ones to be raptured are the godly people, the "true'" Christians for lack of a better term. They will be taken up to heaven, while the wicked and all non-"true" Christians will be left behind.  I read some of the Left Behind books, and the people who were raptured were the "true" Christians.  The ones left behind included at least a few pastors who didn't really believe. Also, the books were not very well written.  The Author (Tim LeHaye I think is his name) stated that it was to be a trilogy because he just wanted to tel the story and reach people, that he did not want to make money off of it.  But of course the books kept coming, then there were movies, then books for children...

7 hours ago, apple1 said:

That said - and I am definitely not a theologian - I never was much of a student of the portions of the Bible that are considered prophecy. And the Bible, in addition to prophecy, is also history, symbolism/metaphor/parable, theology, etc. Portions of the book of Revelation are believed by some to be ways (historical) Christians in different locations communicated with each other without being literal in a time of intense persecution from the Roman government.

You worded that so well.  That is basically how I have always viewed the Bible but I don't always explain it well.  I am a Christian but I don't think it's literal in the sense that 40 days might not mean 40 actual days, that could have been how a long period of time was described.  Like if I say it took me hours to do something, I might be exaggerating or maybe it took a long time but I'm not sure exactly how long. I have always thought that quite a bit of it is actually a history lesson.

• Love 4

I just don't understand! Why? Why do Christians think he is sent by God? He has lied, cheated, been married multiple times, and it's even rumored he encouraged one of his mistress' to have an abortion. (I have no idea if that is true or not.) He is the LEAST moral man to be elected president but the hardcore Christians love him?! I didn't like Hillary Clinton very much but she was a much better choice than Trump. At least she wouldn't have caged immigrants trying to make a better life for themselves and attempted healthcare to be available to everyone, regardless of ability to pay. 

Sorry for standing on my soapbox. It's 1:30 am, my daughters are at a birthday sleepover and my husband is working. It's just me, my dog, my daughters cat, and my kitten laying in bed. (They were gracious enough to allow me about 25% of my king size bed and half of my pillow.)

ETA: I live across the street from a couple of rental houses. They are always rented to illegal immigrants. (They have volunteered this information, I didn't ask.) Every single one of those families cause not one bit of trouble. Never once have they been anything but polite and considerate. The only problem is I can hear them start their work truck about 5am and it wakes me up sometimes. (That is a joke. They really do wake me up but it's not a problem.) According to Trump they should be caged and deported? Why? For wanting to work? 

Yep, he's a Christian! (Said with extreme sarcasm.)

Edited by Conundrum
  • Upvote 9
  • I Agree 2

• 1 month later...

Apparently not all Evangelicals, including the one quoted in this article, drank the Trump Kool Aid: 

Christians Plan National Day Of Prayer To Support Trump Impeachment Inquiry

Over 100 leaders from evangelical, mainline Protestant, and historically black congregations, among others, have signed a letter pledging to pray on Oct. 13 that the impeachment probe led by House Democrats shines “the light of truth” on the president.

• Upvote 5