• Emerald
  • Chocolate
  • Charcoal
Coconut Flan

JRod 108: Selling the Grifted House

Wine time!
nokidsmom
6 hours ago, DarkAnts said:

LuLaRoe leggings are $25. The quality control is bad and it's another MLM. I do agree on Walmart leggings. They do hold up well. I have some black ones that I purchased two years ago that are still in great condition. I will probably never make black ones since they are easy to purchase. My handmade leggings will be more expensive because good fabric is expensive. It is fun to make them.

@DarkAnts as a sewer, hearing about your sewing leggings class really intrigued me.   A friend of mine tried to steer me into the LuLaRoe leggings after I liked the pair of leggings she was wearing, but after perusing their website and learning I would have to contact someone at her home, it raised the "MLM ahead, avoid! avoid!" warning in my head.  I have no interest in participating in MLM's even as a buyer.   

I haven't sewn in years but would like to get back into it.  Making my own leggings other than black ones would be great!

SilverBeach
Posted (edited)
8 hours ago, Ozlsn said:

Friends of friends got a shock when they bought in the UK and arrived to take possession only to discover that as the lawn had not been specifically listed as a fuxture it had been rolled up and taken away.

Don't know anything about the law in the UK, but here in my US state, there would have been an immediate lawsuit. I  have seen people exclude heirloom plants and such in their listings, but the lawn? Never. The cost to replace is not cheap and would have needed to be negotiated. Fixtures are connected by hardware here. How could grass even be a fixture? Crazy.

Edited by SilverBeach

CTRLZero
8 minutes ago, SilverBeach said:

I  have seen people exclude heirloom plants and such in their listings, but the lawn? Never.

I have heard of people removing their shrubs, much to the surprise to the new buyers arriving to a barren property, but this is the first I've heard of removing a lawn.  That would be a shock as you pulled up to your newly purchased house!

Jeepgirl
Posted (edited)

This is my first post and I’m kind of embarrassed that it will make me look stalkerish.....but here goes.  If you scroll down through the Zillow listing of there house, there is a link to the county assessor.  You can view the property tax on their house, which is incredibly low btw.  You can also see their personal property tax on their vehicles.  The RV doesn’t appear under their name as far as I could tell.  

Also, if you care to snoop, you can see her parents house.  Unless pictures haven’t been updated, it’s far from a new build.  Maybe they just remodeled the interior.  It looks quite small and I can’t imagine fitting all the Rods in there

ETA  I was incorrect, the RV is listed.  When I saw Discovery I thought of the SUV......but it’s a Land Rover soooo unlikely it would be part of their fleet.

Edited by Jeepgirl
New info

bird

I've only lived in England for 19 years but in that time I've never ever heard of anyone removing the lawn. That sounds like a super passive aggressive response to something going wrong in the process that upset the sellers. Definitely not a 50/50 kind of a deal. Like will I or will I not receive the grass as part of the sale situation. And I also can't imagine taking flooring. How can you remove your flooring without damaging it? And then make it fit in a new house with a different floor plan. Bizarre. 

LiterallyBananas
10 hours ago, thoughtful said:

I clearly remember where I got the idea that art can be hung everywhere, not just at eye level (walking into the house of an artist friend) and using handmade pottery instead of regular dishes (lunch at a co-worker's house).

But my love of wood grain goes back as far as I can remember. I used to hang off of the edge of my bed as a child, and see pictures and stories in the oak floors the way people do with clouds.

Now, you know I have Everything's a Song Cue Syndrome -- is that a nice thing to do to your new best friend?

Well, if I have to have an earworm, so do you:

This is exactly the song I was thinking of, and exactly why I thought it was so ironic that my grandma couldn't get the pendulum mechanism to wind back up shortly before he passed. No one can seem to fix it, it probably needs to be taken to a clockmaker if that's a thing anymore.

He died in the living room a few feet away from the clock. ♥️ 

One of my earliest memories is laying in the living room of their old farmhouse (they built a new house when I was 4 or 5 and tore down the old one, it had significant issues that weren't worth repairing) and hearing that clock tick back and forth. 

Also, hanging off the bed and finding pictures in the floor's wood grain is a sweet mental image and is the imaginative stuff childhood should be made of. 

I really like the idea of pottery instead of regular dishes, although that would last 0.2 seconds in my house because of the tile floor throughout and a stubborn cat obsessed with gravity. 

13 hours ago, Caroline said:

Go figure :)

My husband and I bought a circa 1975 raised ranch twenty years ago.  We did not want that style but loved the street the house was on along with its general location.  Housing is very expensive where we live and it was  good price for where it was.  The problem was that we had to redo every single room and remodeled the former two car garage on the lower floor into a very large family room.  We did a lot of the work ourselves and it took some time.  I mention this because the rooms in Jill's house resemble what we had to remodel (minus the junk) since nothing had been updated since the house was built.  We've grown to love the style since we've made it our own and still love the neighborhood and the neighbors.

My husband and I bought a similar home-crap-home from the 70s. It's been a slow process I affectionately refer to as This Old Ratchet House. But it's ours and I love it and even though it's obnoxious at times (Why yes, I would love to emergently replace our HVAC unit in the middle of TX summer, buy a new hot water heater, and have the backyard dug up to replace bending sewer drainage pipes all within the first three years of living here!) I have no regrets. We purposely chose something a little older that needed work because we wanted the experience of renovating and learning related skills, and it allowed us to live well within our means so we could be more flexible with our jobs. 

Four is Enough
22 hours ago, JermajestyDuggar said:

I had my gall bladder removed at age 13 and proudly kept the many stones. I was a weird kid. I’m a weird adult ;)

Some people have jewelry made of their gallstones or kidney stones..

11 hours ago, thoughtful said:

And the clock, stopped, never to run again, when the old man died....

My mother grew up with her grandparents and five uncles... one of them died, his clock stopped at the time of death, and would NOT run. ever again.

My first FIL had an antique clock that was his pride and joy. Kept it well maintained, and wound it religiously. It ran perfectly, until the day he died... and the family tried to have it worked on.. it would run till the time of death, then stop. It has never worked since.

Cue Rod Serling....

TTTT, I had a patient die in the SICU one night, and the next night, the bed was still empty, all things turned off. The time of death, the EKG machine spit out a strip of a straight line....

thoughtful
7 hours ago, Peaches-n-Beans said:

However in my defense I'm an artist so I do use the supplies I accumulate.

Collectors unite -- there's no need to apologize or explain.

One of the things I love about FJ (in fact, I consider sort of the point) is celebrating the incredible diversity of humanity. That applies to the everyday, as well as the profound.

Talking about keeping the things we enjoy, whether they were purchased or inherited, practical or just for joy, a fabulous bargain or an indulgence, is part of the fun here. Talking about purging, simplifying, feeling free by lightening up, giving things to others, protecting the planet by not over-consuming -- also all good!

The fundies judge and condemn and pick away at others' interests and tastes, as well as condemning their beliefs and identity. So I consider FJ chat about decor and hobbies, makeup, wedding traditions, real estate, etc., to be as much a part of our anti-fundie discussion as those about faith, sexuality and equality.

Even knowing that people who are not interested in any particular post (including mine) are scrolling on by is part of the freedom. Unlike a fundie, I don't think my choices are universal, and I am not going to scold you with lectures and scripture for not liking the things I like or hanging on my every word.

Hmmm . . . if I did, how would that go? As the congregation members seat themselves on the burgundy fabric that upholsters the dark quarter-sawn oak pews with carvings of greyhounds on the ends, bathed in the light of stained glass windows, thoughtful's evil twin takes the pulpit . . .

"Brethren, Paul's letter to the OpenConceptians, chapter 1, verse 2.5 baths, says: 'And thou shalt have walls, and thou shalt cover thy walls with art from the level of the eye of the merest Chihuahua to that of Shaquille, son of O'Neal. And thy tchotchkes shall be a balm to the heart, and an homage to the Lord.'

Now, we shall sing parodies of hymns,  and y'all had better sing along -- every word!  Haymayen!"

4 hours ago, sparkles said:

Aaauuuggghh! How could you? 

I haven’t thought of or heard this song in decades but I still remembered all the words. Get out of my head!

We don't have an "I'm sorry" reaction, so I had Rufus bless you instead.

• Upvote 13
  • Rufus Bless 1
  • Haha 13
  • Love 16

Black Aliss
35 minutes ago, LiterallyBananas said:

This is exactly the song I was thinking of, and exactly why I thought it was so ironic that my grandma couldn't get the pendulum mechanism to wind back up shortly before he passed. No one can seem to fix it, it probably needs to be taken to a clockmaker if that's a thing anymore.

We acquired an antique clock from my husband's grandparents' estate. It had also not worked since the old man died. But when we unpacked it at our house, decades later, it started ticking. It ran rather fast for several days because the pendulum wasn't properly adjusted, then finally ran down and stopped chiming every 15 minutes. Our best guess is that someone in the family, shortly after the grandfather's death, overwound the clock and it took several days of jostling in the back of a truck to take the tension out of the mainspring.

Cora Persephona
18 hours ago, HA88 said:

I find it unlikely Jill would consider selling the house to finance a wedding. I know the average wedding today costs $30,000+, but based on other Bates/Duggars weddings (before they had major TLC/UP money, think Josh's wedding to Anna) the weddings were pretty low key. Nurie already has a wedding dress (may cost a few dollars to make it comply with her modesty standards). They are very involved in their church so I imagine you could get the church for free or close to it (may have to cover the cost of electricity). Depending on the number of guests perhaps their church wouldn't work, but are 1,000 people really attending Nurie's wedding? I don't know if their church has an area to hold a reception, they may have to find another location which would be an additional expense. There is no shortage of churches in the Charleston, WV area, so they can likely find a church hall for their reception. The church hall/entertaining building (whatever you call it) may not be "their" brand of Christianity, but it is simply a building with chairs and tables. What are they serving at the reception? I doubt they are paying top dollar for a massive fancy wedding cake. They may get a smaller fancy wedding cake for the pictures and then have someone bake a bunch of sheet cakes to feed the rest of the guests. I doubt they are serving a full meal, or even a lot of appetizers. They don't drink alcohol, so no cost of booze, you can do coffee, sweet and unsweet tea, and powered lemonade on a budget. You can spend a fortune on flowers and decorations if you want to, but that isn't a requirement. A wedding is still legal even if the tables at the reception don't have a centerpiece! Nurie could pick a theme for the bridesmaid dresses (i.e. floor length, hot pink, meets her modesty standards) vs saying you have to buy this dress you'll wear once for $150, same with the groomsman give them a color palette. You can always spend a fortune on a wedding, but they have 9 daughters and I doubt they are going to set that precedent. 

I would guess they are selling their house because they can no longer afford it (balloon payment, mortgage is more than they can afford, churches that used to support them are no longer supporting them). Most people who own a house have a mortgage. Most people would love to buy a house outright, but that isn't feasible. Jim Bob Duggar talked about how they built their current house, and it took much longer than anticipated. Many people from their community contributed, and finally Discovery (parent company of TLC) ultimately helped finish the house so they could move in as part of their special. It is much easier to be debt free when others are helping foot the bill. Discovery helped finish the Duggar's home, and on an episode or two of however many kids and counting show they went to TN to help the Bates expand their house, and about double the square footage if my memory is correct went from 2,000 to 4,000 sq, I think, but it has been a long time so perhaps those numbers aren't correct. Much to Jill's dismay no one is looking to help her add on to her current house or build her a new home. 

I know we would all love to see their finances, and I have to wonder when Jill and David travel all over the country in their RV do they basically end up breaking even? Paying for fuel for a vehicle that gets 6 mpg isn't cheap, any vehicle requires maintenance, and needs replacement parts from time to time, plus they have to occasionally stop at RV parks so they can dump the sewage, refill the water and whatever the RV upkeep entails. Yes, people will provide a meal or two for them at church, maybe invite them over for meal and a swim in their pool, or an activity, or tickets to a theme park, take them out for a meal, but ultimately do they end up making money from these excursions? 

I agree that they are not selling the house to throw Nurie a nice wedding and actually think you are giving them a lot of credit regarding what they will be paying for.  

To be honest, I wouldn't be surprised if the only not grifted item at this wedding is Jill's mother of the bride/matron of honour/ star of the show dress.

Nurie already has a dress that she will probably modify by herself as needed, after all she is learning how to sew. Bridesmaids' dresses: either the ugly purple ones from the renewal or some grifted ones or Nurie makes them. Church probably for free, reception in the church affiliated building (I don't know what it's called), surely no sit down meal for all the guests (maybe potluck?). I am sure there will be a sweet lady in the church that will be convicted by God to bake a wedding cake and someone will probably donate some flowers for Nurie's Jill's special day. I wouldn't be surprised if the grandparents paid for most of the things they cannot grift.

I hope they are not selling the house in order to move closer to Nurie or Timmy. Maybe the grifting opportunities in the area have finally dried out (people must be over their eternal needs and Jill's drama) and they are moving to greener pastures. But since this is Jill I'm sure we'll know soon enough.

thoughtful
19 minutes ago, Four is Enough said:

Cue Rod Serling....

TZ actually had a wonderful, positive take on this:

wallysmommy

My Grandfather's Clock popped into my head a few weeks ago for some reason.  I think we need a Jill-based song using the melody.  

• Upvote 1
  • Haha 2
  • I Agree 2

KnittingOwl
On 8/21/2019 at 12:00 AM, Chocolate Lover said:

Glad to see it's not just me.  I watched my surgeon repair my scapholunate ligament.  He gave me a quick lesson in wrist anatomy. 

Jealous! I wanted to watch my wrist surgeries, but got told no both times. The surgeon did give me pictures from the scope when I had my TFCC repaired. 

Giddy
squiddysquid

Y'all are much braver than I am. I was given the choice between local and general anaesthesia and was like "Knock me the fuck out!"

• Upvote 5
  • Haha 7
  • I Agree 8

Aggravated
Chocolate Lover
Posted (edited)
13 minutes ago, KnittingOwl said:

Jealous! I wanted to watch my wrist surgeries, but got told no both times. The surgeon did give me pictures from the scope when I had my TFCC repaired. 

I was knocked out for that one.  It was probably a good thing because, due to it being a tougher repair than expected, I was in theatre for a smidge over 2 hours.  I'd already seen the damage to it when he did the SL repair. 

Edited by Chocolate Lover
Forgot something

littleblueheathen
1 hour ago, wallysmommy said:

My Grandfather's Clock popped into my head a few weeks ago for some reason.  I think we need a Jill-based song using the melody.  

All those years never feeding them

Jill's-a-bitch

And the constantly beating them

Jill's-a-bitch

But she'll stop short, never to grift again

Only when she dies

That's all I got off the top of my head

Antipatriarch
3 hours ago, Black Aliss said:

We acquired an antique clock from my husband's grandparents' estate. It had also not worked since the old man died. But when we unpacked it at our house, decades later, it started ticking. It ran rather fast for several days because the pendulum wasn't properly adjusted, then finally ran down and stopped chiming every 15 minutes. Our best guess is that someone in the family, shortly after the grandfather's death, overwound the clock and it took several days of jostling in the back of a truck to take the tension out of the mainspring.

Spoiler

61.png

sparkles
Posted (edited)

When my husband had his laparoscopic toupet fundoplication (say THAT five times fast), his surgeon very proudly came out and thrust the pictures in my face. He asked me if I wanted them and I think I hurt his feelings when I declined. Yeah, not exactly scrapbook material. Mr. Sparkles had uvulopalatopharyngoplasty (he's had some interesting surgeries) a few years a later and was asked if he wanted to keep his uvula as a souvenir. Thankfully, he declined that as well. I mean, I didn't even keep my kid's baby teeth when they fell out so a souvenir uvula was right out. 

And now I can't get the SNL skit out of my head…

Spoiler

Edited by sparkles

Satisfied
church_of_dog

This whole conversation about attached fixtures not selling with the has reminded me of that not-so-classic Richard Pryor movie, "Moving."

Also, @sparkles, I must say that I cannot think of a word that sounds more appropriate for Free Jinger than "fundoplication".  It sounds like exactly what quiverfull means! :my_tongue:

• Upvote 5
  • Haha 11
  • I Agree 1

Queen Of Hearts

Looking at the Zillow pictures, I actually think we need to give the realtor some credit for taking some pictures that actually make the house not seem so weird.  Not that it is a bad house (albeit a little dated) but the Rod-influence is hard to ignore but I thought the photographer did a pretty good job with what she had to work with.

• Upvote 11
  • I Agree 10

Meh
Dandruff

Let's see if and how quickly the price drops.  Might give an indication of how serious the Rods are about moving.

Happy
PennySycamore

@thoughtful and others, those of us who collect things have archival personalities.  I collect Christmas films.  (Yes, this atheist collects Christmas movies, but the shown on TCM variety.)  It hit me a few days ago that I need to add A Tree Grows in Brooklyn to my collection.  A Christmas movie does not have to be set entirely at Christmas, but have some scenes set at Christmas.  ATGiB has some significant scenes set at Christmas.  I also collect cookbooks and books in general.  

I was looking at a couple of renovated kitchens yesterday on Martha Stewart's site.  The first one wasn't bad, but I'd really like to see what could have been done with the kitchen without a total gut job (IOW, a more modest reno)  and without tearing down the fireplace to make the kitchen open concept.  Several of us were thinking "Are you out of your mind?  You took out a functional fireplace for this?"  The other kitchen I loved though:  One of their editors, Stephen Earle, renovated his kitchen and kept the 19th Century vibe.  He installed a vintage (or vintage-looking) drainboard sink along with wooden countertops.  Across from the sink he built something that's very much in the spirit of an English kitchen dresser. Stephen kept the architectural details of the space.  He even has a checkered linoleum floor.  it's just a beautiful room!

Our dryer is more than 30 years old and it still runs fine.  It does have two things that need attending to:  the door latch is broken meaning that the drum doesn't stop when you open the door and the lint screen needs to be replaced.  The dryer has the lint screen in the top, though, and I've never liked that.  It has to get really linty before you can clean it off.  Since Whirlpool does make those types of screen anymore,  we might need to get a new dryer soon.  

Henri205

Hi  I think it was @thoughtful who mentioned collecting pottery.  Struck a chord with me.  Back in 2005 my late partner/husband and I took a 10 day cruise to Alaska.  It was the last cruise of the season and he discovered a beautiful soup tureen in a little shop in Sitka, I believe.  The shop owners practically gave it away.  It was a Polish pottery piece, handmade, decorated by the artisans using sea sponges of all things. 

THAT discovery got us going.  Over the next 10 or 12 years we found pieces in Newburyport MA (an appropriately-shaped chicken roaster), a set of cheese and butter storage ladies in Germany, and many more things online  The pattern we collected was Blue Horizon.  It's pricey but just beautiful.  We filled our ancient family mahogany bookcase with the pieces.  I'll upload a pic from my phone later, am on PC now.   My partner passed away in 2016 and  then the house burned down a few months later.  But I still treasure the memories of those pieces and how much joy they brought us.

Selling appliances with houses.  Bought and sold in CA, TX, NH, and MA.  Seemed normal to sell with appliances but that may be just cause buyers asked for them.  Sold a house in Texas and the idiot buyer wanted washer/dryer (okay), fridge (okay) and ficus plant (okay, but the house was unoccupied for 4 months and the thing was dead, you idiot). 

Bad Wolf

Under building details

Management

pets allowed: no

that looks like it belongs to another property that is being rented. I don't think you can forbid pets in a house like JRod's that you're buying. Strange.

Waffle Time
DarkAnts

My first question for that house would be about the roof. That can be a major expense. My friends recently moved into a home and knew they would have to replace the roof before they moved in. They knew the expense and used that information when they put an offer in on the house. I doubt  Jill would be willing to reduce the selling price if there were major repairs required. 

• Upvote 9
  • I Agree 1
  • Love 1