Coconut Flan

JRod 108: Selling the Grifted House

WhatWouldJohnCrichtonDo?
Posted (edited)
40 minutes ago, Granwych said:
55 minutes ago, snickerz said:

Is that a row of books back behind the toilet in picture 17? 🤢

That’s their thrifted toilet paper,

I kind of think that it looks like books next to the toilet paper. 

Spoiler

20190822_010145.thumb.jpg.6c9b1773eafeba14787cc6d350da6c9a.jpg

Close up:20190822_005726.thumb.jpg.b441a64a4b43d27cc942ab0aa0339c99.jpg

I also think that there's some kind of decorative cloth on the top of the toilet tank. :puke-right:

Edited by WhatWouldJohnCrichtonDo?
fixed pic
  • Upvote 5
  • Disgust 2
  • I Agree 4
  • Thank You 2

DillyDally

Man, I'm not a real estate agent and English is only my second language but even I could write a better summary for the house. It looks really unprofessional, imo. (Which is kind of fitting for Jill, I guess.)

JesusPony

The house looks better on the Zillow listing, but it still doesn't look good. (The Precious Rodlets probably worked what's left of their butts off cleaning, and the illiterate real estate agent had access to a decent camera.)

For many reasons, I hope it doesn't sell.

Wine time!
Spanger

Even if you look past the grammar/capitalization issues, the written description of the house is doing almost nothing to sell it.  Country setting, close in to the city- ok, that’s a good place to start.  Good flow with multiple spaces for entertaining is a good concept to point out too, but implying that the guests you are entertaining are family might tend to alienate those who won’t be entertaining large extended families in their home.

Now how about mentioning “large windows flood this home with plenty of natural sunlight”, hmmm?  Or maybe, “flat yard with mature trees, perfect for relaxing and play time,” or maybe mentioning that the windows + flat yard make this home “ideal for gardeners”?  

The kitchen might not be the most up-to-date, but surely it has “ample storage and counter space,” and based on the pictures, I’d even be willing to say the appliances look like they have been “meticulously cared for.”  In fact, “meticulously cared for” might be a fair statement to make about the whole house, although I wouldn’t go there myself unless the mechanicals, septic, roof etc were also all well-taken care of.  But as far as cleaning goes, yes the house has been meticulously cared for.  (Those perfect vacuum lines, tho!  😂)

OK, print shop might be tricky, it’s not a space most customers are going to feel like they need, but I’d try, “Attached double garage is heated and insulated.  It currently houses a print shop and has been fitted with lighting, ventilation, and [type of power source]- convenient for DIY car maintenance or woodworking.”  And ugh, I’d be annoyed with the sellers not painting over the giant branded logo on the wall before going to market, but I’m sure that’s on the low end of this realtors problems right now.

Its silly to me that they aren’t including a washer and dryer with the sale though, especially considering they’ve got multiples.  I mean, if they are moving to another house, there will presumably be a set over there too, so what, they’re going to have three of each?  Or, if there’s not future Rod house and they just drift off into the night in the RV, wtf are they going to do- pay to store w/d?  Give them to Amy/Angie?). That’s maybe not actually such a bad idea...) but those things are heavy and hard to move!  And most buyers are going to expect a washer/dryer, so if it’s not included with sale, it’s going to be one more reason for them to request a price reduction.

I would LOVE to see what kind of brochures/printed marketing materials have been put together for this home...  like I would pay actual dollars, maybe even 4 or 5 of them, to have one shipped to me.

Lizzybet
12 hours ago, wallysmommy said:

I’m sure this is been said already, sorry. But that house looks smelly to me. There’s just too much stuff- and using a toilet seat lid cover in a house where there are boy children, and a sleepy eyed adult man, is gross.

WiseGirl
On 8/19/2019 at 4:17 PM, PennySycamore said:

I said that if I ever went back I wanted to spend some time in Oak Park to see the Frank Lloyd Wright houses.  My son-in-law liked that idea.  He's a FLW fan as well.

If you do, make sure to head north to Racine, Wisconsin to see the FLW designed SC Johnson Was Administration Building and Wingspread.  "Wingspread was the last of Wright's Prairie School inspired designs, and was one of his most expensive residential designs."

• Upvote 4
  • I Agree 1
  • Thank You 1
  • Love 1

Depressed
formergothardite
6 hours ago, snickerz said:

I'll bet they're selling because there's a big balloon payment coming up or something like that.

Is that a row of books back behind the toilet in picture 17? 🤢

Yep. I bet that is what is happening. balloon payment and money is drying up because Jill insults people. I do not believe she would sell the house if there was an option for staying. 

ofMatthew

I have a few thoughts about Jill’s house.

*Side note, I write technical documentation, so my formatting always seems to be geared toward that, forgiveness please.

·       Jill’s house is a lot nicer than I had imagined and I think it has a lot of potential. I also note that their house seems much larger and nicer than the house where the Duggar’s first lived.

·       I really hope those poor children aren’t forced to live in the RV full-time again, while that house is small for a family of their size, it’s a heck of a lot better than living in an RV.

·       I must wonder about the balloon payment idea though; wouldn’t Jill have been grifting for it by now?

If they’re moving because their address was posted online and others encouraged a CPS visit, that is understandable, but I would suggest that they:

·       Get a P.O. Box in the future.

·       Scrub the web as best they can to remove any PII and delete their website and all social media accounts.

·       Lay low online for a while (or forever).

I work in IT as a Systems Administrator and a lot of my job revolves around Cybersecurity, it is just so dangerous to post any PII (Personally Identifiable Information) online and Facebook in and of itself is very unsafe due to their own internal network security not to mention their privacy policies.

SilverBeach
1 hour ago, WiseGirl said:

If you do, make sure to head north to Racine, Wisconsin to see the FLW designed SC Johnson Was Administration Building and Wingspread.  "Wingspread was the last of Wright's Prairie School inspired designs, and was one of his most expensive residential designs."

I am a huge FLW fan. Living in metro Chicago, I have done the Oak Park tour several times. If you are ever in the Phoenix AZ area, visit his Taliesin West compound. It is amazing.

Antipatriarch
12 hours ago, OyHiOh said:

We were shooting Paul McCartney/Another Day - going for worn down, world weary, exhausted, pulled apart.

Well it worked... I saw her face before I read the text of the post, and my heart ached a little.

quiversR4hunting
On 8/21/2019 at 12:12 AM, Ex 2x2 said:

I’ve searched and I can’t find it. I’m dying to know how they work. I especially want to know if people are really earning free cars. If not, are they flat out lying?

I can only tell you how it works in Mary Kay. The car is sort of free. The sales agents need to make certain amount of production for a certain period of time (3 to 6 months, I can't remember exactly). If they fall off one month they start over. So when they do earn the vehicle it is a lease in the sale person's name, if production falls off they have to pay part of the co-op/cash. So for the lowest car you get $375/month alotted for the car so either you keep up production or pay part of that. If you take the cash instead the amount is just deducted from the $375. ($375 is the number from 2009)

here is some more info on what the agents have to achieve. Source: https://www.brittanijenks.com/slideshow-c1lon 

There are two factors that the company considers when you are earning a career car!

- Size of your Mary Kay team/unit

- Amount of monthly team production (total retail sales between you and your team)

Chevy Cruze (Consultant level vehicle)

4 month qualification for your Cruze

5 active consultants +  $5,000 team production = On-Target for car qualifications

During the 4 month qualification you and your team need to grow in size from 5 to 14 active consultants 

and over the 4 months(or shorter) get to $20,000 in wholesale production. 

If your qualification process takes the whole 4 months, each month has to maintain $5,000 wholesale production.

Chevy Equinox, Toyota Camry, BMW 320i, and Cadillac SRX (Director level vehicles)

6 month qualification for Director level vehicles

Chevey Equinox/Toyota Camry-

Maintain $9,500 unit production during qualification

BMW 320i-

Maintain $12,500 unit production during qualification

Pink Cadillac SRX-

Maintain $18,000 unit production during qualification

pinktruth.com gives some other information about Mary Kay program. I am sure there are other sites like the Pink Truth that will tell you about other MLM programs. here is a very small blog about Plexus http://plexustruth.blogspot.com/ This person likens it to glorified Crystal Light. HA! This one is about Young Living & doTerra https://www.kidnurse.org/house-of-cards-the-toxic-combination-of-essential-oils-and-multi-level-marketing/ 

If you google "how to make money selling ...." and then fill in the MLM you should come up with videos or blogs about the process. 

MayMay1123

i have a bunch of little collections, but i have purged some over the years as i get older. granddaughter #1 said she'd care for my things, but there's just too much really. almost everything is very sentimental...i have dishes that were from my grandmother's shore house, a few of her bells, a few of my mother's elephants, a few of my mother-in-law's birds. of my own, i have snow babies and heart shaped boxes, husband has hand carved wood boxes. i think the biggest collection we have here atm is granddaughter #2's huge bin of barbies LOL my living room always looks like a toy store imploded in there

thoughtful

I'm not usually one to find details in pictures, so I'm surprised I'm the first to question this:

Spoiler

1576432899_WTFinRodkitchen.PNG.f573a4841d3b7969420834ba9fb20ab7.PNG

in picture #7:

https://www.zillow.com/homedetails/845-Honaker-Dr-Charleston-WV-25312/22658997_zpid/?mmlb=g,6

What is that under the counter, behind Snuggles' water and food bowls? I guess it's some sort of shelf, to take advantage of that little space for more storage, or maybe it was originally meant for a dog feeding station.

But it must be attached, since the realtor didn't remove it for the pictures. Maybe it wouldn't seem so weird to me if the brown wall was straight instead of wedge shaped, and hid it from the side.

And what is it made of? It looks like plastic, but it is textured like a stone mosaic.

OhNoNike

Well if I ever need to sell my house, I’ll be sending the photos for @Spanger to write up the description.  

26 minutes ago, ofMatthew said:

I have a few thoughts about Jill’s house.

*Side note, I write technical documentation, so my formatting always seems to be geared toward that, forgiveness please.

·       Jill’s house is a lot nicer than I had imagined and I think it has a lot of potential. I also note that their house seems much larger and nicer than the house where the Duggar’s first lived.

·       I really hope those poor children aren’t forced to live in the RV full-time again, while that house is small for a family of their size, it’s a heck of a lot better than living in an RV.

·       I must wonder about the balloon payment idea though; wouldn’t Jill have been grifting for it by now?

If they’re moving because their address was posted online and others encouraged a CPS visit, that is understandable, but I would suggest that they:

·       Get a P.O. Box in the future.

·       Scrub the web as best they can to remove any PII and delete their website and all social media accounts.

·       Lay low online for a while (or forever).

I work in IT as a Systems Administrator and a lot of my job revolves around Cybersecurity, it is just so dangerous to post any PII (Personally Identifiable Information) online and Facebook in and of itself is very unsafe due to their own internal network security not to mention their privacy policies.

I think they have actually updated their stuff with a PO Box or at least deleted their address from things... but in their early days they were really naive and put their address on their website and newsletters.  The newsletters were intended for supporters, so I’m sure they really didn’t intend for it to go public.  However, the internet is forever and this is the perfect example. 

LiterallyBananas
15 hours ago, shufflingtowardsenlightenm said:

I like antiques but I'm weaning myself off buying them unless they are functional (I cook with cast iron pans) or really spectacular and then I gradually furnishing the house in American Streamliner (waterfall art-deco from the 30's and 40's)

13043261_10154253508674171_6585778147160743447_n.jpg

The woodgrain on that cabinet is gorgeous, holy crap. 

18 hours ago, thoughtful said:

Oh, yeah -- books. I forgot to mention the books. Zillions of books  . . .

Early in my antique-hunting days, I bought two stacking barrister bookcases -- an investment I am so glad for now! Then there are the other cabinets, small bookshelves, an old Larkin furniture company crate turned into a rolling bookshelf that tucks between the wall and the under-sink cabinet in the powder room . 

Books are something I'm okay with accumulating. They look nice, and unless you're in a super small space I consider them practical. There's just something about having a wall of books to choose from that makes me happy and content.

With being said, I recently discovered barrister bookcases and have plans to build a set once the weather cools off a bit. When we moved into our house my first woodworking project was wall to wall bookshelves for one of the bedrooms. I'm still shocked that the shelves don't look like total crap (boy was THAT a project I learned from... balls to the wall, go big or go home situation), but they make the room look small and dark and I'm ready for something different. I love that barrister bookcases are modular and can be moved and re-stacked to fit a space. I'll need to get rid of some crap books I should've recycled a long time ago in order to fit everything in smaller units but I'm okay with that.

19 hours ago, thoughtful said:

My sister. :hug:

My good luck is that five of the things I collect are practical. All of my furniture (other than the birdcage and my bed, which are in a Shaker-reproduction style that blends with the antiques) is old. It's a mishmash of styles, probably from the late 19th century through about 1930. None of it is fancy -- it's mostly dark oak pieces that would have been in a modest home or a store, church, office, kennel or school.

I love black cast iron, and have two old school seats (one with the desk for the kid in back attached) and several pieces that are built on old treadle bases from sewing machines (they are great along walls where baseboard radiators run, since they don't block the heat).

My second practical collection is wooden boxes, crates and long tool trugs (the latter are very handy for under-bed storage of shoes). 

Third - handmade pottery.  I favor abstract drip glazes in reds, purples and blues. Other than a few factory-made pieces to use in the microwave, all of my food and drink is enjoyed from (and all of my plants live in) handmade pottery.

Fourth -- patchwork quilts.

Fifth - fabric purses and totes.

Other than some of the furniture and the first few pieces of pottery I bought, most of it has been made possible by thrift store and yard sale shopping over the course of 35 years -- I couldn't afford it otherwise. For example, one of the school seats was $16, the other was $5. The style I have generally sells for $80-$400 in antique stores.

My non-practical decorative items are memorabilia, art and photos,  framed sheet music, antique ads, and lots of stuff with images of greyhounds. Besides the famous bus company, many other businesses used the greyhound as a symbol - I have tins from phonograph needles, a saw, soda bottles, children's wagons, and ads for medicines, cigarettes, matches, razor blades, oil, gasoline, tires - you name it!

The sewing machine and greyhound collections meet in my kitchen. There was a company called New Home that used a greyhound in their advertising:

https://www.digitalcommonwealth.org/search/commonwealth:x633f3793

My kitchen table is built on one of their treadles, I have several sales cards framed in my kitchen (including the one pictured above), and a greyhound model "P" sewing machine (like the one pictured below).

image.png.4a6e66e302ef92dd71dce4b1a5ee74ac.png

My other pets are represented, too. But it is hard to find beagle and dove stuff that resembles my guys -- they are both atypical looking.

I love some things that have gone in and out of style several times in 150 years -- saturated, jewel-tone colors, unpainted red brick, stained glass (lots was already in this house when I bought it). I'm sure lots of people would consider it dated.

Taste is so subjective, and I try not to classify someone else's as "bad taste." So I will put it this way -- Jill's decor does not appeal to me for specific reasons. I dislike the look of a lot of dried/fake plants, and hate how hard they are to dust. I also dislike the faux-antique/country look, carpeting (or multiple throw rugs crowded together), her color choices, and the style and colors of her furniture.

I feel like I would love your house. I love antique wood furniture and the concept of gradually accumulating items you really enjoy instead of buying things all at once to decorate a room. And I think having a mix of styles from various time periods can be really aesthetically pleasing, and it can actually make things look more timeless.

• Upvote 4
  • I Agree 1
  • Love 1

Aggravated
Okie_Bokie
Posted (edited)
2 hours ago, Lizzybet said:

There’s just too much stuff- and using a toilet seat lid cover in a house where there are boy children, and a sleepy eyed adult man, is gross.

Toilet seat covers that don't even fit!  But they do have artistically arranged extra rolls of toilet paper and air freshener, so there's that!  And I'm so happy to learn that they use Crest toothpaste.  We wouldn't want them to use Satanic Colgate or Aquafresh.

Spoiler

image.thumb.png.761dd908c8861ea72aeca222191c85ee.png

Edited by Okie_Bokie
added a thought

thoughtful
Posted (edited)
46 minutes ago, LiterallyBananas said:

I love that barrister bookcases are modular and can be moved and re-stacked to fit a space.

This is an advantage. It took some of the stress out of moving. Of course, I still had to worry about the glass!

The combination in this picture is virtually identical to one of my cases -- the wood in mine is darker and less orange. Quarter-sawn oak makes me happy.

410168808_barristerbookcaselikemine.thumb.jpg.d6328c3930c39414d3e9aa1714825361.jpg

Edited by thoughtful
riffle

Wine time!
nokidsmom
Posted (edited)
2 hours ago, formergothardite said:

Yep. I bet that is what is happening. balloon payment and money is drying up because Jill insults people. I do not believe she would sell the house if there was an option for staying. 

Exactly my thoughts too.    First off, this house is a pretty good arrangement for them especially considering that they grift for a living.   They are not in some shack like the Nauglers.   The house is decent sized even if they have too many kids for it, as evidenced by the many bunk beds and "bedroom" without a closet.    They got David's printing equipment into it.  They were close to family who Jill could take advantage of er, help out.  There is no talk of where they are going next and I can't imagine Jill could keep her mouth shut about the next home either because she's grifting for it or simply because she's Jill and has the SEVERE need to yap about everything.

I think the theory that they are selling because of an upcoming balloon payment is completely plausible.    Years ago, I worked in the mortgage industry and a number of clients took on balloon mortgages with the idea that they could refinance before the balloon payment became due.   None of them expected to have money for the balloon payment, it was just to qualify for the mortgage.  I don't know if the Rods attempted to refinance or not, but on the unlikely chance they did, they would not be eligible with no steady sources of income.  More likely they figured on grifting the money and that is not working out, because Jill shot herself in the foot by insulting/ annoying too many people.   If you (general you) are gonna grift, you can't exactly bite the hands that feed you and Jill has done that.

Another thought of mine: what is David going to do with all that printing equipment?  Those things weigh tons!  My sister and I are dealing with printing equipment my Dad bought and put in the basement.   They are going to be a PITA to move and we have the money from the estate sale to get a hauler in.    David will not be able to move those things himself and that is not a statement on the shape he is in, he could be a bodybuilder and need help.   Where are they going to get the money for that?  And where will it go?  Certainly not the RV.

I hope the next home is not the RV.  If that is the case, I feel for those kids and furthermore, maybe it's good that Nurie get engaged and married soon.  She will have a better roof over her head (can't believe I am saying that!) than that RV.   Yeah, it's terrible she has to be get married to better her situation in life but unfortunately that is often the case with many of the fundie maidens we talk about here.  

Edited by nokidsmom
Additional thoughts

WhatWouldJohnCrichtonDo?
2 hours ago, Spanger said:

It's silly to me that they aren’t including a washer and dryer with the sale though, especially considering they’ve got multiples.  I mean, if they are moving to another house, there will presumably be a set over there too, so what, they’re going to have three of each? (snip) And most buyers are going to expect a washer/dryer, so if it’s not included with sale, it’s going to be one more reason for them to request a price reduction.

That's interesting. I haven't moved that many times, but when I consider all the moves my different family members have made, I can't think of one time where the washer and dryer were included in a house (or apartment), whether bought or rented. I even remember people measuring a laundry room or nook to make sure that their current washer and dryer would fit. I'm pretty sure everyone here expects to keep their w/d and move them from house to house.

I wonder if it's a regional thing? I'm in the northwestern part of the US. (The part away from the ocean. :my_biggrin: )

FiddleDD
Posted (edited)

I just have one last thing to say about clutter and having lots of stuff:

351A3B47-597D-48E0-AFB3-18C672B93074.jpeg

Edited by FiddleDD
  • Upvote 7
  • Haha 34
  • Love 7

JesusPony

Adding to their likely dire financial situation: Jill is years deep in Plexus and I doubt she's in the top 1% of MLMers that make a salary equivalent amount from direct sales. Most people lose money because you have to pay for the products to sell them! Jill's probably sunk quite a bit into her Plexus grift, since she uses it herself.

I bet a lot of what churches give them is in the form of food and clothing for the kids. Even church people would be wary of giving them cash. And fellow fundies wouldn't have much to give besides hand-me-downs.

So, you still have 12 children at home and 0 steady income from the parents. WTF, Rods.

Satisfied
church_of_dog
1 hour ago, thoughtful said:

I'm not usually one to find details in pictures, so I'm surprised I'm the first to question this:

Reveal hidden contents

1576432899_WTFinRodkitchen.PNG.f573a4841d3b7969420834ba9fb20ab7.PNG

in picture #7:

https://www.zillow.com/homedetails/845-Honaker-Dr-Charleston-WV-25312/22658997_zpid/?mmlb=g,6

What is that under the counter, behind Snuggles' water and food bowls? I guess it's some sort of shelf, to take advantage of that little space for more storage, or maybe it was originally meant for a dog feeding station.

But it must be attached, since the realtor didn't remove it for the pictures. Maybe it wouldn't seem so weird to me if the brown wall was straight instead of wedge shaped, and hid it from the side.

And what is it made of? It looks like plastic, but it is textured like a stone mosaic.

I think it's a mini version of this kind of modular plastic shelving:

3147883E-2E16-4C2C-BF6E-12103A3D499D.thumb.jpeg.5a4d4c2ddd31e5659795203554a0299a.jpeg

I think it's holding two presumably-less-often used kitchen gadgets like a waffle iron etc.  Maybe a rice cooker or crockpot?

I think it's movable but the realtor didn't even notice it because the rest of the room was so visually busy.

Wine time!
nokidsmom
23 minutes ago, WhatWouldJohnCrichtonDo? said:

I haven't moved that many times, but when I consider all the moves my different family members have made, I can't think of one time where the washer and dryer were included in a house (or apartment), whether bought or rented.

I live in the Midwest, from what I have seen in the sales in my immediate area is that washer and dryer usually stay with the home, especially in condos/townhomes but also single family homes.   It does vary a bit however, one neighbor had to measure the utility room to make sure he could bring in his really, really old washer.

We live in a townhome and plan to leave the washer and dryer when we sell.   The utility room in our house is pretty small,  we were very limited in what we could buy when we replaced our washer / dryer a few years ago due to space.  It's highly unlikely that a buyer will have appliances from the old home that will fit.    And we don't want to haul them to the next place.

thoughtful
11 minutes ago, FiddleDD said:

I just have one last thing to say about clutter and having lots of stuff:

The "love" reaction isn't nearly strong enough!

I haven't done any needle work in years, but I think that needs to go on my wall (well, bedroom wall -- I don't think the parents of my students would appreciate the "shit" when they come here for recitals!).

I've also meant to post that one of the best things I ever bought (appropriately, at a yard sale, for 25 cents) was this pin (sorry about the blurry pic):

Spoiler

670323027_AsIspin.thumb.jpg.538324be24287fc8f6ef9b99f36daab1.jpg

It amuses people who work in thrift and antique stores.

I may have wrinkles and age spots "patina" due to being vintage, but ya gotta take me "as is."

thoughtful
30 minutes ago, church_of_dog said:

I think it's a mini version of this kind of modular plastic shelving:

That was my first thought, but the texture seemed weird. It does look like those zigzags, though -- I think you're right.