• Banana
  • Apple
  • Emerald
  • Chocolate
  • Charcoal
Coconut Flan

JRod 108: Selling the Grifted House

LSUlover

I have zero wisdom teeth.  I kinda felt left out as a kid when all of my friends were getting them removed.  I also have straight teeth and was so bummed when I couldn't get braces like everyone else.

Fyi, no idea where my good teeth come from.  Both parents and sibs had crooked teeth that needed braces and all had wisdom teeth removed. 🤷‍♀️

littlemommy

I also think we’re on the brink of a Jilly meltdown, and it will happen because no one gives a shit about her big homeschool family picnic. 

She’s asked for donations to raffle off to offset the cost of renting the pavilion, which they are going to end up eating. She also made a list of requirements that  included modest dress only and Godly music only. She stressed very hard that Nathan would be there, as if his and Nurie’s Godly courtship is a huge draw. It isn’t. Based upon fall the “send out regrets” comments, no one is interested.

I am curious if there will be an engagement coming around this visit, though.

• Upvote 28
  • Haha 1
  • Thank You 9
  • Love 1

Pecansforeveryone

@littlemommy, how many "failed" events and counting is this for Jill? We had the failed vow renewal. The failed baby shower for Janessa. Several less than successful retreats. Being snubbed for so many Duggar and Bates weddings. All of which seemed to trigger some kind of meltdown and full-blown venom from Jill. Yeah, I really hope she doesn't scare Nathan away with a tantrum/melt-down of any sort. 

• Upvote 11
  • I Agree 1
  • Love 1

Tired
clueliss

I have a willow tree figurine.  It was a gift from coworkers after my mom died.  While I am touched at the sentiment, I am a bit 'meh' about it.  

pook
26 minutes ago, Pecansforeveryone said:

@littlemommy, how many "failed" events and counting is this for Jill? We had the failed vow renewal. The failed baby shower for Janessa. Several less than successful retreats. Being snubbed for so many Duggar and Bates weddings. All of which seemed to trigger some kind of meltdown and full-blown venom from Jill. Yeah, I really hope she doesn't scare Nathan away with a tantrum/melt-down of any sort. 

New thread title suggestion - JRod: Failed Events Planner.

• Upvote 5
  • Rufus Bless 1
  • Haha 24
  • I Agree 1
  • Love 1

JermajestyDuggar
Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, littlemommy said:

I also think we’re on the brink of a Jilly meltdown, and it will happen because no one gives a shit about her big homeschool family picnic. 

She’s asked for donations to raffle off to offset the cost of renting the pavilion, which they are going to end up eating. She also made a list of requirements that  included modest dress only and Godly music only. She stressed very hard that Nathan would be there, as if his and Nurie’s Godly courtship is a huge draw. It isn’t. Based upon fall the “send out regrets” comments, no one is interested.

I am curious if there will be an engagement coming around this visit, though.

She has a lot of followers on Instagram and friends on FB. This probably gives her an inflated sense of popularity. When really most people are just on her social media because they want to watch the train wreck in real time. Not because they actually want to be friends with her. The homeschool picnic will be attended by Angie’s family, her parents, maybe 2 or 3 people from her church, Nathan, and the Rods. That’s it. 

Edited by JermajestyDuggar
  • Upvote 12
  • I Agree 11
  • Love 1

Naga Viper
3 hours ago, pook said:

It's about that time for Jill to do something nuts again.

Tuesday?

34 minutes ago, pook said:

New thread title suggestion - JRod: Failed Events Planner.

JRod: Failed Events, Inc., maybe? She could go pro at this point...

SilverBeach
8 hours ago, PlentyOfJesusFishInTheSea said:

I don't find them artistically very appealing

I love my black willow tree angel. I only have one willow tree, although I have a few black angels. It's appealing to me because of the subtlety. Taste varies. Jill, however, has none.

1 hour ago, LSUlover said:

I also have straight teeth and was so bummed when I couldn't get braces like everyone else.

I have straight teeth and was never bummed out about it, braces were so nerdy. 

JermajestyDuggar

I had braces for 4 long years. But at least I didn’t have to wear head gear every night like my high school BFF. Poor girl. She looked a hot mess every night so she usually only had sleep overs with me. Moral of the story. Don’t suck your fingers until you’re 12. It fucks shit up. 

OhNoNike

Has she said anything about that women’s retreat she inherited?

Also, does she really do this every year? The homeschool thing?  I don’t remember it...

Meh
Dandruff
2 hours ago, littlemommy said:

She’s asked for donations to raffle off to offset the cost of renting the pavilion, which they are going to end up eating.

Hmm...could this picnic be primarily intended as a moneymaker for the Rods?

Black Aliss
Posted (edited)
9 hours ago, Okie_Bokie said:

(gathers bravery because of you).... I don't like Willow Tree figurines at all.  Not one bit.  (runs and hides)

I'll see your dislike of Willow Tree and raise you All the Mass-Produced Things. Seriously, wth the exception of some antiques from my husband's grandparents, the only decorative items in my house are one-of-a-kind pieces by artists or artisans. Same with my jewelry--everything is handmade. Not knocking anyone else's tastes, it's just my personal preference.

Edited by Black Aliss

SilverBeach
23 minutes ago, Black Aliss said:

I'll see your dislike of Willow Tree and raise you All the Mass-Produced Things. Seriously, wth the exception of some antiques from my husband's grandparents, the only decorative items in my house are one-of-a-kind pieces by artists or artisans. Same with my jewelry--everything is handmade. Not knocking anyone else's tastes, it's just my personal preference.

I have a more streamlined look as I am anti-clutter, but I like some mass produced items just fine, many are tasteful. I cannot afford just one of a kind artisan only pieces (most people probably can't), must be nice to decorate exclusively with them.  I rarely find handmade jewelry that I like, especially earrings. I do have some unique earrings I love made by Kenyan women that I purchase to support a school over there. Don't wear much jewelry other than earrings, my personal style is anti-clutter also.

Taste is completely personal preference, and there is no accounting for it.  To each their own. Even tacky Jill. If she enjoys her garage sale decor, more power to her!

Wine time!
Spanger

I tend towards one-of-a-kind type stuff for decor, and I’ve found a few vintage things I like too, but I’m honestly not much for decor in the first place.  I like my stuff to have a purpose to it beyond being purely decorational.  And for things that are only intended to be decorational, it takes me more to connect with it than the item just being trendy or stylish.  So I’m way more likely to find a decor item that catches my eye at a garage sale or thrift shop than at target or home goods or whatever.

I can’t beleive those Willow Trees are so expensive, kinda reminds me of precious moments too...  either one are just like, “why?”  Unless you connect with one in particular, or like how @SilverBeach has a collection of black angels, and so happens to have a black angel willow tree.  And yeah, if someone gives you one as a gift, I can see how that would be sentimental.  I guess I don’t understand actively collecting something like that, especially when it’s also so expensive...

...but then again, I’d spend Willow Tree kinda bucks or more on new glass weed pipes for my “collection,” so there’s that.  😂  (they’re all handmade/one-of-kind, tho!)

louannems
Posted (edited)
5 hours ago, Pibblesmiles said:

My grandmother went nuts for Hummel figurines; she started collecting them in the 1930s, and the grandchildren were not allowed to go near them, because the were PRECIOUS.  When my grandmother died 23 years ago, my aunt swooped in and snatched up all the Hummel's.  My mother still resents that they weren't evenly distributed, and that her sister now has possession of the one she and my father bought as a gift from the factory in Germany (sometime in the 1970s, I think).  My mother is convinced they are worth more than their weight in gold.  I consider them dust-collecting tchotchkes.

My mom's second husband (my dad died) had a first wife (who also died) who collected Christmas tree Hummel  ornaments. Many boxes of them, all pristinely maintained in their wraps and boxes. My mom asked me to try to sell them.  She hates clutter and was cleaning out the first wife's collections, like her enormous rooster collection.

I took the boxes to several very nice antique/ consignment shops.  And phoned many others all over Seattle and the metro area.  Every single owner told me the Hummels were worthless and they couldn't even give them away.  Attics of old ladies are filled with them!  Mom gave them to Goodwill where hopefully someone appreciate them.

Ok, I know I need to edit this since it sounds like something Poor Sarah Maxwell would write!  I don't mean that attics are filled with old ladies!  I mean that plenty of elderly ladies keep lots of Hummels in their attics!  

Edited by louannems
  • Upvote 8
  • Haha 2
  • Love 4

Wine time!
MountainMomma

I had all four wisdom teeth surgically removed. When I came out of the anesthesia the surgeon asked if he could keep my teeth. "I've never seen such large teeth in a human! I want to show them to my dental students." Ok man, that's weird, but ok. 

mtc3659
Posted (edited)

I had an extra tooth start to grow in between my front two teeth when I was small. All three teeth had to be removed, but not before causing my teeth to shift. After they were removed, I had to wear fake teeth so the rest of the teeth wouldn't shift more, but I hated wearing it apparently. According to my mom, I would take out my teeth at preschool and scare the other children. All of my pictures from that time period have me smiling with a giant gap right in the front. I lived that song "All I Want For Christmas (Is My Two Front Teeth)". My teeth grew in all crooked and that's why I needed braces when I got older. 

(ETA I was looking in my box of childhood stuff recently and I found the baggie that had my fake teeth in it. It's so cool to see how tiny my mouth was back then) 

I had all 4 wisdom teeth removed when I was a freshman in college. I woke up crying for my mom (she had driven me), except instead of saying "I want my mommy" it sounded like "I wah my mommah". According to my mother, I had the same reaction when I had gotten my teeth removed 16 years earlier (crying for my mom). 

Edited by mtc3659
Added more information

Jana814

I got all 4 of my wisdom teeth removed. I woke up & said in a drowsy voice “I’m going to recommend you to all of my friends”. I was a month away from turning 26 & it was the first surgery I had ever had. 

FloraKitty35

Unless Jill received all of those figurines as gifts or grifts, they are yet more overpriced baubles  acquired at the expense of her children. Personally, I am indifferent to Willow Tree figurines (same with Hummel figurines). I don't like Precious Moments figurines with their wide eyed saccharine facial expression.

Caroline
3 minutes ago, FloraKitty35 said:

Unless Jill received all of those figurines as gifts or grifts, they are yet more overpriced baubles  acquired at the expense of her children. Personally, I am indifferent to Willow Tree figurines (same with Hummel figurines). I don't like Precious Moments figurines with their wide eyed saccharine facial expression.

I have a few Hummel figurines that my mother-in-law was dispersing to her daughters and daughters-in-law.   They are special to me because they were hers.  I have some Willowtree figures that were given to be for very special occasions - wedding, birth of a child.  They are special because they remind me of important events in my life.  I love objects of sentimental value, but not too much of any one thing.  I'm not minimalist, but don't like clutter either. I think my friends think my home is warm with objects that represent important events, people and places in my life.

Totally agree with Precious Moments - they're not my thing either.  (No offense to the collectors of PM) I know lots of people who have always loved them and have a few for the same reasons I have Willowtree and some Hummels.

Sad
Whooping_Butt
47 minutes ago, MountainMomma said:

I had all four wisdom teeth surgically removed. When I came out of the anesthesia the surgeon asked if he could keep my teeth. "I've never seen such large teeth in a human! I want to show them to my dental students." Ok man, that's weird, but ok. 

I would have told him to buzz off! I wanted my regular wisdom teeth, and if they were of unusual size I would have wanted them even more! 

I still have my wisdom teeth in a velvet bag. I think they’re neat. My husband thinks they’re gross. I’m sad I couldn’t keep my gall bladder in a cool jar after it was taken out. 

I promise, I’m weird, but harmless. 🤪

• Upvote 6
  • Haha 4
  • I Agree 3
  • Love 1

pook
2 hours ago, Black Aliss said:

this is me.

pook

about Hummels... I have one, inherited from my grandmother, who's sister brought it back from Germany during the 1950s I guess.  I hate dust collector nonsense but this piece is very Jill PRECIOUS to me.  image.thumb.png.d52ca5574d35e8bfadd43acbc6ea39c5.png

HarryPotterFan

I’m bored and avoiding going to sleep and my body still hurts from a hike I went on over the weekend. So what I’m saying is ENTERTAIN ME JILL!! Do something! Not too over the top since it’s the middle of the work week, but something!

Happy
PennySycamore

@Whooping_Butt,  I have (or had) my cerclage preserved in alcohol in a specimen cup after my OB took it out.  I honored that little clip because it kept my last daughter inside till it was safe for her to be born.

@pook,  my mom had a Hummel that my brother got for her when he was stationed in Berlin.  I don't know which of us kids got that, but it wasn't me.  I got her glass globe filled with milkweed seed or something like that.  She made that and loved it.  I love it as well.  The thing I really wanted the we were going through my mom's and dad's things was his maybe first edition of Huck Finn. And his copy of Plain Speaking, an oral biography of Harry Truman.  I did get a copy at Second and Charles.  Us kids think that Huck Finn might have been buried with him.  It was his favorite book.