Jump to content
  • Sky
  • Blueberry
  • Slate
  • Blackcurrant
  • Watermelon
  • Strawberry
  • Orange
  • Banana
  • Apple
  • Emerald
  • Chocolate
  • Charcoal
Coconut Flan

JRod 108: Selling the Grifted House

Recommended Posts

Tired
Coconut Flan

Continued from here:

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Happy
PennySycamore

@SongRed7,  I was think more of a meeting between JRod and Lady Lydia.

  • Upvote 2
  • Rufus Bless 3
  • Haha 11

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
bird

After five years of saving up we are finally fixing up our house. We have had to redo the central heating, plumbing, electrics, kitchen and bathrooms. It has been quite a process and I have had to make so many decisions. I have agonized over every one. I don't know which colours look nice or what style is good or anything about creating a homely home so on the one hand I sort of envy Jill. She likes what she likes and there doesn't seem to be much agonising. I wish I could be as sure of my taste as she seems to be. But on the other hand I have had to do a lot of decluttering to get the work started in the first place as I had to store most of our stuff in the garage and I have just discovered, now I have to put it all back, that a lot of it has been destroyed in what I will forevermore refer to as The Great Mousing of 2019. So I've had a second tier throwing out and I have to say it has been so liberating. I'd go so far as to say that possessions are a burden that we probably don't need. I feel so happy to no longer be the keeper and manager of 6 people's stuff. And we had a LOT less than Jill to start with. I think they would all benefit from a declutter. But that's just my opinion and they might find my currently empty shell of a house cold and unwelcoming. 

  • Upvote 22
  • Love 12

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Bad Wolf

Jill had a dream that she received a letter:

Dear Jilly,

We couldn't bear to see you leave us. Let us have an old fashioned barn raising and build a new print shop for your important, godly work. We'll bring food so you don't have to worry about anything.

Love, your neighbors and friends.

  • Upvote 2
  • Rufus Bless 1
  • Haha 24
  • Love 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Glasgowghirl

If Jill wants to sell the house she will need to present the house a lot better, most of the knick knacks need to go into storage, less is more, she needs to give the place a coat of paint and replace the carpet in the bathroom with vinyl or plastic tiles that are nicer and easy to clean. People even if they plan to decorate want to buy a house that is presentable when they move in or they will want it at a lower price. 

  • Upvote 14
  • I Agree 3
  • Love 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
littlemommy

@OhNoNike Worry not, Jill is still deep into Plexus. She's just so repetitive with it, usually just posting memes someone else has made, or copying and pasting another person's pleximony, that it isn't worth bringing up. I'm sure she'll grace us with another video of her preparing and mainlining Plexus again soon. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
JermajestyDuggar
1 hour ago, bird said:

After five years of saving up we are finally fixing up our house. We have had to redo the central heating, plumbing, electrics, kitchen and bathrooms. It has been quite a process and I have had to make so many decisions. I have agonized over every one. I don't know which colours look nice or what style is good or anything about creating a homely home so on the one hand I sort of envy Jill. She likes what she likes and there doesn't seem to be much agonising. I wish I could be as sure of my taste as she seems to be. But on the other hand I have had to do a lot of decluttering to get the work started in the first place as I had to store most of our stuff in the garage and I have just discovered, now I have to put it all back, that a lot of it has been destroyed in what I will forevermore refer to as The Great Mousing of 2019. So I've had a second tier throwing out and I have to say it has been so liberating. I'd go so far as to say that possessions are a burden that we probably don't need. I feel so happy to no longer be the keeper and manager of 6 people's stuff. And we had a LOT less than Jill to start with. I think they would all benefit from a declutter. But that's just my opinion and they might find my currently empty shell of a house cold and unwelcoming. 

I totally agree with you. I think most people would be happier with less stuff. I don’t think everyone should be a minimalist. I just believe the vast majority of people tend to keep some stuff they never use or need. 

What has always struck me about Jill’s house is that most of it is hers or David’s! They have 13 kids! There should be many more things that belong to the children in that house. I don’t think children need tons of toys. But they struggle with money and she still manages to buy more crap for herself! 

  • Upvote 24
  • I Agree 7
  • Love 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
EmmieJ

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
JermajestyDuggar
3 minutes ago, EmmieJ said:

I thought they were technically in Sissonville.

  • Upvote 1
  • I Agree 2
  • Thank You 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
quiversR4hunting
4 minutes ago, JermajestyDuggar said:

I thought they were technically in Sissonville.

They are but it is only one exit North of Charleston. I happened to drive by the exit one day and was shocked at how close they were to the Charleston downtown exits. 

  • Upvote 4
  • Thank You 3
  • Love 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
EmmieJ

Just searched in Sissonville, seeking a minimum of 4 bedrooms, 2 or more bathrooms.  Five homes came up in that criteria, three asking less than $180K.  I already gave the link in my previous post to one of them, on Winding HIlls Drive.  One of those three is pending and I didn't even look at the photos.  But the other two definitely show much better than what Jill posted.  Two were in the $350K range.  Those both were on over an acre, and were much nicer homes, inside and out.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
onekidanddone
Posted (edited)

Re: Carpet in the bathroom. The basement toilet in our new house overflowed. All I have to say at the thought of a carpeted bathroom is 🤢 

Edited by onekidanddone
Typo
  • Upvote 5
  • Disgust 8
  • Sad 1
  • I Agree 8
  • Love 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
OhNoNike
6 minutes ago, wallysmommy said:

A bit of a drift, but this house in WV, near where my father's family lived, has all the makings of a haunted house.

https://www.realtor.com/realestateandhomes-detail/1115-Morgantown-Ave_Fairmont_WV_26554_M31413-78186?view=qv

 

The photos look like they were taken in 1988...

Just now, onekidanddone said:

Re: Carpet in the bathroom. The basement toilet in our new overflowed. All I have to say at the thought of a carpeted bathroom is 🤢 

I may be an outlier with children who have... robust.... digestive systems... but with just two Littles, the toilets have been overflowed in our house a few times.  And that is not any toys that some kids put down.  How they have that many people in a house without ever overflowing the toilet... I just don’t see that. The carpet must be nasty. 

  • Upvote 4
  • I Agree 11
  • Love 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
EmmieJ

The "haunted house" photos -- so many of them are quite dark, which add to the sense of foreboding

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
FloraKitty35
Posted (edited)
52 minutes ago, wallysmommy said:

A bit of a drift, but this house in WV, near where my father's family lived, has all the makings of a haunted house.

https://www.realtor.com/realestateandhomes-detail/1115-Morgantown-Ave_Fairmont_WV_26554_M31413-78186?view=qv

 

I hope that someone restores that house. It has potential, those vintage fireplaces, hardwood floors, and stained glass windows caught my eye.

Edited by FloraKitty35
added more to post
  • Upvote 13
  • I Agree 9
  • Love 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
bird
2 hours ago, JermajestyDuggar said:

I totally agree with you. I think most people would be happier with less stuff. I don’t think everyone should be a minimalist. I just believe the vast majority of people tend to keep some stuff they never use or need. 

What has always struck me about Jill’s house is that most of it is hers or David’s! They have 13 kids! There should be many more things that belong to the children in that house. I don’t think children need tons of toys. But they struggle with money and she still manages to buy more crap for herself! 

Once when my oldest two were much younger my mum and I were tidying away their toys. I picked up a snow white that looked more like naked Amy Winehouse on a very bad day and remarked that I was sure I took better care of my barbies when I was younger. My mother's reply was simply "you didn't have as many". I think some children (not Jill's) are as overwhelmed by stuff as we are. 

  • Upvote 15
  • I Agree 5
  • Love 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Happy
PennySycamore

@FloraKitty35,  I hope someone rescued it as well.  It could definitely do with the touch of Brett Waterman or Nicole Curtis.  Those lovely widows in photo 11!  I was watching American Woodshop , I think it was, on Saturday afternoon and the guy made a cabinet for his wife with old two leaded glass Frank Lloyd Wright-looking windows for the door on the cabinet.  It was stunning!

 I've seen Brett restore 100 year old linoleum in the kitchen of an old house he restored.  Brett and Nicole keep what they can in an old house.  

@bird, you may doubt your taste, but you have more of it in your pinky than Jill has in her entire body.  The taste that Jill has is bad taste as well.  

  • Upvote 7
  • I Agree 1
  • Love 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Antimony

Unrelated but just had dinner with a pilot and showed him Timothy's stranded with pizza post.

Apparently, failing your PPL knowledge test twice is unheard of and this really freaked him out. Flying solo without a PPL is legal but most instructors wouldn't allow it (he wouldn't, he also teaches.)

We usually get dinner once a month or less so I've been sitting on my Timothy questions for so looonnng

  • Upvote 9
  • Thank You 19
  • Love 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Wine time!
Blessings of the Corn
3 hours ago, wallysmommy said:

A bit of a drift, but this house in WV, near where my father's family lived, has all the makings of a haunted house.

https://www.realtor.com/realestateandhomes-detail/1115-Morgantown-Ave_Fairmont_WV_26554_M31413-78186?view=qv

 

God I LOVE that house! With a lot of work it could be so gorgeous.

  • Upvote 6
  • I Agree 7
  • Love 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
wallysmommy

I'll have to ask one of my cousins to do a drive by and take some newer pics.  It has a ton of potential.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Waffle Time
BlackberryGirl

That house took my breath away! It is wonderful.

 

i adore Brett Waterman! 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
They call me madre
3 hours ago, wallysmommy said:

A bit of a drift, but this house in WV, near where my father's family lived, has all the makings of a haunted house.

https://www.realtor.com/realestateandhomes-detail/1115-Morgantown-Ave_Fairmont_WV_26554_M31413-78186?view=qv

 

Omg it’s so awful I thought it was fake!  It looks like a serial killer lived there!  Probably bodies in the basement floor!  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
OhNoNike
2 hours ago, bird said:

Once when my oldest two were much younger my mum and I were tidying away their toys. I picked up a snow white that looked more like naked Amy Winehouse on a very bad day and remarked that I was sure I took better care of my barbies when I was younger. My mother's reply was simply "you didn't have as many". I think some children (not Jill's) are as overwhelmed by stuff as we are. 

You’re so right. My house looks like a daycare center and I work full time and my kids are in school/camp.  I noticed when everything is out and a mess they play with nothing.  When it’s all neat, they’ll play with two things that are out.  I’ve thought that less is more. It’s overwhelming when there’s so much.  

Theres quite an age gap so that we’ve had a lot of toys spanning age groups.  As they get older the stuff is getting less.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Meh
refugee

Re: that blanket-thing in the boys’ room. “Pirates” was a good guess. My impression was that it was music-related and said SATB.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Guest
This topic is now closed to further replies.



×