• Apple
  • Emerald
  • Chocolate
  • Charcoal
quiversR4hunting

Rod house pictures

Aggravated
Okie_Bokie

Hey Jill - You know those toothbrushes you have sitting on the counter in your bathroom, right next to the toilet?  Three words:  airborne fecal matter.  🤮

https://www.todaysrdh.com/toothbrush-etiquette-could-your-toothbrush-have-fecal-matter-on-it/

https://www.medicalnewstoday.com/articles/294945.php

• Upvote 5
  • Disgust 6
  • I Agree 7

Happy
PennySycamore

@Okie_Bokie, there are some of us who rather like those colored bathroom fixtures.  We even like colored appliances in the kitchen.  The RetroRenovation community is full of us.  I have a blush or sandstone basin and tub. I'd rather it be Mamie pink or blue or green.  

• Upvote 12
  • I Agree 5
  • Love 2

Aggravated
Okie_Bokie
5 minutes ago, PennySycamore said:

there are some of us who rather like those colored bathroom fixtures

I like them, too!  That's why I noticed them

MayMay1123

So. Much. Stuff. I'm wheezing just looking at the pictures...they cannot dust enough to keep it down to a healthy level

Happy
PennySycamore
Posted (edited)

@Okie_Bokie,  I thought one toilet was oink in the beginning, but it was just the wooden seat that was casting a shadow.  You do have a point about low-flow toilets though.  Can't old fixtures be retrofitted with low-flow workings?  

I've wondered if colored fixtures became a thing because they show up better in old black and white movies

Then there's this:

There are some colorful johns among the white porcelain gods.

Edited by PennySycamore
video did not post

Meh
AliceInFundyland

Oh I know we talked about her toilet before because I posted my favorite bathroom post and we had all this chat and it gave us that lovely crocheted Beansie toilet paper cozie courtesy of.....

Oy Jill. Shake my brain harder.

thoughtful
1 hour ago, PennySycamore said:

Mamie pink

My house was built in the mid-1950s, and the bathroom I use everyday has Mamie pink, rose and burgundy tiles, with a white tub, toilet and wall sink.

This is not my bathroom, but it is the same pattern as on my floor:

318804242_1950sbathroom.jpg.699b14b7bb02e6d34db6133e19c23bbd.jpg

As much as I love old stuff, I really don't like mid-century. I also don't like pink, but I play up the burgundy and white with what I've added, including a storage cart I had built for under the sink -- seeing the pipes under a wall sink doesn't thrill me.

We also have two bathrooms that are the original pale green tile with black trim -- very snazzy. The original floors in those have been replaced or covered, though.

Dizzy
nelliebelle1197
Posted (edited)
4 hours ago, Spanger said:

Ok, the no toys outside thing hadn't really got to me before, but that is just SAD.  I see freebie outdoor toys (like, cheap plastic playhouses & slides, kiddie pools, play tables etc) on the side of the road with free signs pretty regularly.  I'm sure there have been folks in her church that have offered similar toys when moving or when their kids have outgrown them.  My theory is these are the types of things no one wants to have to move, but they are too big to just throw away unless you've got access to a dumpster, so everyone just tries to give them to someone else with kids when their own kids outgrow them.

Even if Jill didn't want the cheapie, used plastic version of these toys- she had her sons build her that whole garden with raised beds.  She could just as easily ask them to build a little raised bed box, and then fill it with play sand from the local hardware store.  What - $50, maybe $100 for the whole project?  She easily spent that on her own garden, but can't do it for the kids.  OK, TIJWTA, afterall.

Anyway, I think she could probably have toys back there for very cheap or even FREE if she wanted the kids to have toys.  She just either doesn't like the look of them, doesn't want to have to move them around when it's time to mow the lawn, or doesn't want the kids messing up their clothes playing outside.  Like I said, SAD.

My kids made their own playground this summer - not because they had to but because they wanted to. They took an old tire and made a swing. They set up a badminton/volley ball net I got for cheap at Target. They built a tiny sandpit then dragged home a plastic turtle sandbox from someone's trash. They already had a giant trampoline and sanded an old board to make a slide off of it. They also dragged a plastic barrel out of the garage and made some sort spinning contraption that almost works. Neighbor kids helped and they spent a whole week on it. They did something I still don't get with some cloth and a tall, skinny PVC pipe (a flag??). Thirteen Rod-Pod-Kids could spent weeks building something magnificent out of junk. And my kids did it in my husband's  fancy gardens - we have a very large urban lot and it is very particularly landscaped by a very particular garden person who has grown his own cultivars and places each plant carefully and thoughtfully. With that basic yard, the Rod kids could have a magnificent homemade playground.

Edited by nelliebelle1197

Lady Grass Lake

No climb gutter cleaning, does require a leaf blower.  Get some 4"  PVC plastic pipe, or whatever diameter you can attach to the end of the leaf blower, and make a giant candy cane shape, long enough to reach from the ground into the gutter,  you will need some joints and and elbow.  Figure out a way to hook the long straight end of it on a powerful leaf blower,  put the other end up and into the gutter and blow it all out.  

Walking Cat Bed
2 hours ago, Okie_Bokie said:

Hey Jill - You know those toothbrushes you have sitting on the counter in your bathroom, right next to the toilet?  Three words:  airborne fecal matter.  🤮

https://www.todaysrdh.com/toothbrush-etiquette-could-your-toothbrush-have-fecal-matter-on-it/

https://www.medicalnewstoday.com/articles/294945.php

This is part of the reason I keep the toilet lid down and the toothbrush in the medicine cabinet.

The other two parts are a Sassmonster and a Ginger Menace.

HarryPotterFan

53 minutes ago, AliceInFundyland said:

I posted my favorite bathroom post

This amazing sentence brought to you by Jillykins and the letter B. B for Beansie.

• Upvote 4
  • Rufus Bless 1
  • Haha 8
  • Love 3

griffin

I was just at Graceland and had to love Gladys Presley's bathroom. Pink and lavender with poodle wallpaper!

20190812_221725.jpg

WhatWouldJohnCrichtonDo?
2 hours ago, Okie_Bokie said:
2 hours ago, PennySycamore said:

there are some of us who rather like those colored bathroom fixtures

I like them, too!  That's why I noticed them

I thought that the blue bathroom fixtures looked nice, but I am completely over the "harvest gold" and "avocado" kitchen and bathroom looks from the 70s. I had a yellow fixtured bathroom when I was single, and I've had a yellow kitchen and a puke green bathroom for all of my marriage. I don't like yellow in general, and pea soup green is the ugliest shade of green, to me. 

If I ever get to rip out our green and yellow sinks, etc., I should offer them to any FJer who wants them! :pb_lol: (Not likely. There's a better chance we would move.)

• Upvote 8
  • Haha 4
  • I Agree 1

Happy
PennySycamore

@WhatWouldJohnCrichtonDo?, if you ever do rip our your sinks, see if you can sell them on eBay or Craigslist.  ReStore may take them as well.  They don't have to go in the dumpster.  

It always drives me crazy on Property Brothers where Drew is just throwing stuff in the dumpster, regardless of whether or not they might be salvageable for someone else.  He has gotten better about that though.  I also haven't seen him have a couple take the toilet out recently.  He'd have them tote that toilet out with the bowl full of water.  Even I know that you shut the water intake valve off, flush, mop up any bit of water before you remove a toilet.  I learned that from This Old House.

Meh
Dandruff

That "BEACH" sign in one of the Jilly Rod bathrooms is getting to me.  What purpose could it possibly serve, hanging behind the crapper? 

You know what?  Jill should send her ad to Magnolia Pearl.  Don't know that they'd have any interest in setting up shop in WVa, but I doubt they'd need to change a thing.

Nervous
Audrey2
7 hours ago, Howl said:

Such a sad back yard.  I'm not seeing slides, swingsets, playscapes.  

Toys? Jill's kids don't need toys. Toys would take away from caterwauling music practice, caring for Jill's every need/desire, doing hair and painting on make-up, a d doing house chores.

So hard to write this, but I don't see the Rod kids getting much play time if any.

• Upvote 9
  • WTF 1
  • I Agree 5

Themanda Duggar
3 hours ago, PennySycamore said:

You do have a point about low-flow toilets though.  Can't old fixtures be retrofitted with low-flow workings?  

This probably doesn’t count as retrofitting, but you can stick something in the tank to take up some of the space that would be filled with water.  I’ve used a brick in two of mine.

quiversR4hunting
10 hours ago, thoughtful said:

My house was built in the mid-1950s, and the bathroom I use everyday has Mamie pink, rose and burgundy tiles, with a white tub, toilet and wall sink.

This is not my bathroom, but it is the same pattern as on my floor:

318804242_1950sbathroom.jpg.699b14b7bb02e6d34db6133e19c23bbd.jpg

As much as I love old stuff, I really don't like mid-century. I also don't like pink, but I play up the burgundy and white with what I've added, including a storage cart I had built for under the sink -- seeing the pipes under a wall sink doesn't thrill me.

We also have two bathrooms that are the original pale green tile with black trim -- very snazzy. The original floors in those have been replaced or covered, though.

I have seen this tile in various places, I really want to make a quilt in that pattern. (not the colors but the pattern) I am always admiring tile work for quilt ideas. 

danvillebelle
11 hours ago, PennySycamore said:

The RetroRenovation community is full of us.  I have a blush or sandstone basin and tub. I'd rather it be Mamie pink or blue or green.  

LONG LIVE PINK BATHROOMS!  ❤️ 

Looking at houses online with my husband:

Him: it's in the city and out of our price range

Me: BUT THE BATHROOM HAS THE ORIGINAL TILE  :pb_lol:

• Upvote 4
  • Haha 16
  • Love 4

Depressed
formergothardite

I have a blue bathroom. When we first bought the house everyone was ripping the old blue/pink bathrooms out, and we meant to, but never got around to it. After a while we realized we liked the blue bathroom so it stays. 

JermajestyDuggar
Posted (edited)

I’m not a pink bathroom person. But I like all the other colorful tile bathrooms of the 50s  and 60s. Especially the green and black ones. Those are my absolute favorite. 

A1F567AF-FE28-4E9A-9313-4891BE3517A0.jpeg

Edited by JermajestyDuggar
  • Upvote 17
  • Love 17

OGEmoji
8 hours ago, Themanda Duggar said:

This probably doesn’t count as retrofitting, but you can stick something in the tank to take up some of the space that would be filled with water.  I’ve used a brick in two of mine.

I did the same thing to our toilets. I filled used juice jugs with pebbles from outside and put them in the toilet tank so it would fill less. That was during the recession and I haven't had any trouble with it.

quiversR4hunting
Posted (edited)

@JermajestyDuggar I want to create a quilt out of that tile pattern too! 

Edited by quiversR4hunting
fixed tag

louannems

When I originally watched Jill's house tour video, I guess I thought she grifted that house, furnished, from an old lady.  And Jill just left it all as is.  Surely she didn't go out and actually buy that decor, did she?