IGNORED

Introducing New Kitten / Help Please

Conundrum

I’m in need of some help introducing a new kitten to our dog and cat. 

We have an11 year old Shih-Tzu, male, whom is very sweet, laid back, and is as dumb as a box of rocks. 

We also have a 4 year old cat, female, whom we adopted through a local independent rescue organization. Growing up we had dogs but my mom hates cats so I had no experience with them. We adopted her because my daughters love cats and asked. 

My 16 year old twin daughters put together a presentation about a week ago to ask for a second cat. My husband and I thought they had valid reasons and since they are the most awesome daughters anyone could ask for, we said yes. So, Today we adopted a second cat from the same rescue organization. He is approximately 4-5 months old and simply adorable. 

Our problem is the lady who runs the rescue said to introduce the kitten slowly to our dog and cat. When we brought him home my dog decided he should bark at the kitten; therefore scaring him even more. My daughter brought him in her bedroom to calm him down and kept him there until I got back from the pet store to buy him food and a litter box. When I came home she brought the kitten into the kitchen and I held him for a minute and tried to put him on the floor so I could give him food and water. Well, my dog was in the kitchen, too, and the kitten got startled and scratched my arm and hand. He has now been in my daughters bedroom for over 4 hours. 

My question is: How do I introduce them slowly when I can’t even set him on the floor? 

And, for your viewing pleasure, a couple photos of our new kitten:

8B0F4800-B9A2-4C35-8CBE-6B300773C855.jpeg

04C384CC-2C54-4A24-874A-42579FECE390.jpeg

• Love 14

Can you separate the kitten from the cat and the dog temporarily?  My co-worker kept her kitten in a separate room for a while, to keep the cat from attacking her, but it let the cat get used to smelling the kitten and the kitten get used to her new home.  They couldn't see each other, but they could sniff at each other under the door.  When the cat stopped being upset at the kitten being around, that's when she introduced them to each other. 

• Upvote 6
  • I Agree 4
  • Thank You 1
  • Love 1

Jackson Galaxy has a lot of good information about introducing a new kitten to the other pets.  You can find his videos on Youtube and this information is also on his website. One thing that helps is to have a barrier of some sort between where the other pets are  and the new kitten/puppy.  They may need to completely separate at first, but the barrier lets them get to know each other gradually.  You can feed them near the barrier which means they'll need to approach the other.  The barrier can be a  baby/pet gate or an old screen door.  The animals need to be able to see each other. You can try the barrier idea after you've given @Snarkasarus Rex's idea some time. 

A screen door might seem excessive but they're not all that much more expensive than a baby gate.  

When I adopted my tortie Daisy last May, I figured that I'd take my time introducing her to the dogs.  Nope, the dogs met her right off the bat and did not bother her at all 

Jackson Galaxy

Btw, congratulations on adopting a new feline headship!

Edited by PennySycamore
  • Upvote 4
  • I Agree 4
  • Thank You 3

I second @Snarkasarus Rex.  When I worked at a cat rescue we always suggested a gentle introduction just as described.  Have the kitten separated in his own space so he can feel comfortable but the others can also smell him, etc. 

I had two cats as an adult that I got at separate times.  The female (older and I’d had longer) tolerated the new guy (6m when I brought him home), but they never really loved each other.  I did like that better than two of my childhood cats who absolutely despised each other and would attack with blood their entire lives.  (We just kept them on separate floors).  I’d say the latter isn’t as typical, and we got the second one as a full adult so I just don’t think they liked each other. 

All that to say, your other animals just need to adjust slowly and I think once they are used to his smell, you can introduce by sight and stuff. It’ll take some time, but I’m sure it will be fine. 

Edited by OhNoNike
  • Upvote 5
  • Thank You 1
  • Love 2

1 hour ago, Conundrum said:

And, for your viewing pleasure, a couple photos of our new kitten:

Beautiful!

I'm no cat expert .but I will say keep them separated and let the other critters get used to new kitty smell. 

Then re-introduce carefully, always allowing new kitty a way back to safe and private space.

• Upvote 6
  • Thank You 1
  • Love 1

Thanks, everyone! I was thinking of a baby gate since it’s mostly the dog that is curious; our cat doesn’t seem to care much. (So far, we shall see how the next few days play out.)

• Upvote 4
  • Love 2

Since he’s already spending time in your daughter’s room, you can make that his safe space.  Keep the door closed; they can all sniff each other from under the door.  If your dog can’t see the kitty, he may not bark as much.  Plan on a week or so of keeping the door closed, and have your girls hang out in there so kitty gets used to them.  Even if they just sit on the floor and read, he’ll get comfortable having them around.  

• Upvote 4
  • I Agree 1
  • Thank You 1
  • Love 1

You've gotten great advice. All I came to say really is that he's gorgeous and thank you for sharing pictures. ❤️

• Upvote 4
  • Thank You 1
  • Love 3

54 minutes ago, catlady said:

Since he’s already spending time in your daughter’s room, you can make that his safe space.  Keep the door closed; they can all sniff each other from under the door.  If your dog can’t see the kitty, he may not bark as much.  Plan on a week or so of keeping the door closed, and have your girls hang out in there so kitty gets used to them.  Even if they just sit on the floor and read, he’ll get comfortable having them around.  

Ahh, we aren't as clueless as I thought we were! We already have Kitten in my daughters bedroom and decided to make it his "safe place." Tomorrow I will buy a baby gate so they can see each other but have a barrier for safety. 

We brought Kitten out to the living room  for a few minutes to let Dog see him but my husband held Kitten the entire time. Dog didn't bark at all, but he was trying to get close to Kitten, so we took that as a positive sign but brought Kitten back to my daughters bedroom after just a few minutes. (I didn't want Dog to bark and scare Kitten again.) Dog was great when we brought Cat home so I think he's just curious as he doesn't seem to be upset; he just wants to check out the new member of our family. Unfortunately, Kitten hissed at him in the kitchen, he replied with a bark, which startled Kitten. I really think he just wants to check out the new member of our family. 

Cat has been in my bedroom most of the day so we aren't sure what to think about that. Is she seeking refuge? Is she angry because of Kitten? Or, does she simply not care? 

I appreciate everyone who has given advice. Seriously. I don't want any of our pets upset and probably care about their feelings more than most would, but I love them and they are part of our family. I especially don't want Kitten scared because he's just a baby. He was taken from the only home he knew, put in a car with strangers, and brought to a new home with an adult cat and dog. I'm sure it was stressful for him so it's natural he would be scared and hiss when he first met Dog. 

All we can do is try our best to make everyone friends. 

Edited by Conundrum
  • Upvote 4
  • Love 6

I also recommend the keeping them separated trick, I believe that’s what Jackson Galaxy recommends. My mom loves to watch My Cat from Hell (usually kitty behavior problems on that show are the human’s fault), but I worry about our cats picking up on bad behavior if they watch the show. 

I love that you are taking the happiness of your fur babies seriously. 

• Upvote 1
  • Thank You 1
  • Love 2

Caution on baby gates and kittens.  Based on personal experience.  Kittens are lightweight and climb.  I had a pair that I was trying to babygate separate in an introduction phase - the suckers climbed over the babygate.  So you might be prepared for that.  

• Upvote 2
  • Thank You 1