IGNORED

RFK granddaughter dies of drug OD

SPHASH

Heard it last night on Lawrence O'Donnell's show.  She was 22 and had been a victim of sexual assault.  Despite their personal failings I have always had a soft spot for the Kennedys especially Bobby and Eunice Kennedy Shriver.  https://www-m.cnn.com/2019/08/01/us/kennedy-compound-emergency/index.html?r=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.cnn.com%2F

• Sad 2
  • Love 9

I read an article that posted a piece she wrote for high school about mental health and her depression. I think she said it started in middle school. It was beautifully written. She was her parents only child and I cannot imagine their pain right now. 

• Upvote 2
  • Sad 2
  • Love 8

How many tragedy's can one family go through. Thoughts with the Kennedy family.

• Upvote 9

I heard about it today, all I have heard is that an od is suspected but not if suicide or accidental od is suspected.  It's terribly sad, she was so young.

• Upvote 5
  • Love 1

Terrible loss for her family.  I have always kinda thought the Kennedy family must be cursed, it’s the best explanation for their catastrophic bad luck.  

• Sad 3

7 hours ago, Glasgowghirl said:

How many tragedy's can one family go through. Thoughts with the Kennedy family.

A lot.  Tragedy doesn't play by any rules but its own...much as we'd like to believe in fairness.

• Upvote 2
  • I Agree 5

12 hours ago, Don'tlikekoolaid said:

Terrible loss for her family.  I have always kinda thought the Kennedy family must be cursed, it’s the best explanation for their catastrophic bad luck.  

Not really. There's a lot of them and when you have a big family, there tends to be a fair amount of tragedy. There also to some degree seems to be some history of mental illness, and a lot of it is bad luck. 

• Upvote 4
  • I Agree 10
  • Love 1

2 minutes ago, Carm_88 said:

Not really. There's a lot of them and when you have a big family, there tends to be a fair amount of tragedy. There also to some degree seems to be some history of mental illness, and a lot of it is bad luck. 

Catastrophic bad luck is a thing. There were four of us, and my two brothers died eight months apart at 41 and 49. When I told my doctor what they died of, he expressed surprise because both conditions were rare. He likened it to lightening striking my family. I know some larger families that are perfecty intact. Shit happens. I still wouldn't want to be a Kennedy though.

• Upvote 3
  • Love 14

Not quite the same situation as Silver Beach,  but one otherwise very healthy sibling in a family that I know died while sleeping, age early 50s.  When the cause was discovered at autopsy, the rest of the siblings were immediately tested for the genetic heart condition and two older siblings were found to have it -- pacemakers were implanted within a day or two, saving that family from further tragedy. 

This loss, as are the losses of all children, is so sad for the Kennedy family. 

Edited by Howl
  • Upvote 5
  • Love 4

2 hours ago, Carm_88 said:

There are a ton of them.  I think I read RFK and Ethel have 35 grandchildren alone and he came from a family of nine kids and had eleven.  I'm also sure the assassinations played a role in messing up some of RFK's kids at least.  So its likely a mix of things, but the bigger the extended family, the greater the likelihood of tragic things happening. 

• Upvote 4
  • I Agree 8

So I got curious....Rose and Joe Kennedy had 29 grandchildren.  Five have died.  

David Kennedy (Drug overdose)

Michael Kennedy (reckless skiing)

JFK Jr.  (reckless flying)

Kara Kennedy (heart attack, likely caused by aggressive cancer treatments)

Christopher Lawford (massive heart attack at 63)

Considering all but one were born in the 50's and 60's, only 2 of 29 dead of natural causes is a pretty good track record.  David's death sounds the most tragic.  He apparently never recovered from watching his father's murder on live TV when he was alone in a hotel room.

• Upvote 5
  • Sad 5

On 8/3/2019 at 4:11 PM, JenniferJuniper said:

Considering all but one were born in the 50's and 60's, only 2 of 29 dead of natural causes is a pretty good track record.  David's death sounds the most tragic.  He apparently never recovered from watching his father's murder on live TV when he was alone in a hotel room.

Yeah, David never got over seeing his dad assassinated on TV while he was alone.  His dad had just won the California primary and was leaving the ballroom of the Ambassador through the kitchen when he was shot.  

• Sad 6
  • WTF 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 8/3/2019 at 3:11 PM, JenniferJuniper said:

I would say Joe/Rose's kids were the cursed generation...Jack and Bobby both assassinated, Joe Jr's plane exploded during World War II, Kathleen became a war widow then lost her life in a plane crash.  Then there was Rosemary who had to spend her life in a nursing home thanks to Joe, Ted who almost lost his life in a plane crash then the Chappaquiddick incident Pat who divorced her husband Peter Lawford, Jean had a lousy marriage as well but stayed in it, and Eunice like Jack had to live with Addison's disease her whole life.  One other grandchild Patrick Bouvier Kennedy lived only two days after being born premature, he was Jack and Jackie's youngest son.

• Upvote 3

1 hour ago, SPHASH said:

I would say Joe/Rose's kids were the cursed generation...Jack and Bobby both assassinated, Joe Jr's plane exploded during World War II, Kathleen became a war widow then lost her life in a plane crash.  Then there was Rosemary who had to spend her life in a nursing home thanks to Joe, Ted who almost lost his life in a plane crash then the Chappaquiddick incident Pat who divorced her husband Peter Lawford, Jean had a lousy marriage as well but stayed in it, and Eunice like Jack had to live with Addison's disease her whole life.  One other grandchild Patrick Bouvier Kennedy lived only two days after being born premature, he was Jack and Jackie's youngest son.

They didn't live lives of normal people. One was president, another was running for president not long after his brother was assassinated.   Old Joe had the money to force a lobotomy on Rosemary because the family was concerned about her behavior embarrassing them.   Young Joe's tour was over when he volunteered for an almost-suicide mission, possibly in part to impress his overbearing father.  Kathleen was  some sort of baroness and Ted was a US senator and they traveled in small planes.   If they'd just been a moderately wealthy family with no political or societal ambitions, most would probably died as old people.  God knows Rose had a longevity gene.

At the end of the day, I think it can be argued that Old Joe's ambitions led to what appears to have been a "curse". 

• Upvote 6