IGNORED

FJ Goes Green!

Ticklish

There was recently thread drift over in Joy and Austin's topic about natural, healthier beauty products, which turned into discussion about reducing plastic so I thought we could use a thread about going green! 

Share your hygiene/beauty finds, cleaning and recycling recommendations, or just overall tips you have about living a lifestyle that's healthier for you and the planet! 

• Thank You 6

There was recently thread drift over in Joy and Austin's topic about natural, healthier beauty products, which turned into discussion about reducing plastic so I thought we could use a thread about going green! 
Share your hygiene/beauty finds, cleaning and recycling recommendations, or just overall tips you have about living a lifestyle that's healthier for you and the planet! 

If one can afford one, this...

576d486b2de271382de9d17a02427b6f.jpg

• Upvote 3
  • Haha 1

I wish! Maybe next time we buy a car! I try to drive as little as possible (working from home definitely helps!). Before school starts, I need to do a test walk up to the elementary to see if it's feasible for me to make it up there between getting off work and the bell ringing and also if my little one's little legs can handle the return walk. 

• Upvote 2

Are Britta pitchers still the best option to filter tap water? I don't think the faucet we have would accept the attachment kind. We've been considering getting one because I think the tap water in our town tastes weird. 

Also, has anyone tried MyLola for tampons/pads? They are supposedly organic cotton with none of the preservative stuff in most normal brands. 

• Upvote 2

@Ticklish, I don't know if a Britta pitcher is the best option, but I've been using one for over 10 years. They're pretty simple to use, and I get the replacement filters in a big pack at CostCo. Our water tastes too much like chlorine to me, but once it's filtered, it tastes great.

I'm not familiar with MyLola. My daughter should be getting her first period sometime in the next few years, so I guess I should investigate some options she might like to use. Thanks to FJ, I now know about reusable "period panties", and I may get her some of those to try. I'm expecting to hit menopause sometime soon-ish myself (I'm 48), so I'm just not as motivated to try new products for myself as I might have been 10 years ago!

• Upvote 3
  • Thank You 1

Are Britta pitchers still the best option to filter tap water? I don't think the faucet we have would accept the attachment kind. We've been considering getting one because I think the tap water in our town tastes weird. 
Also, has anyone tried MyLola for tampons/pads? They are supposedly organic cotton with none of the preservative stuff in most normal brands. 

Have you tried one of the myriad of cups on the market? I tried one thanks to FJ and I LOVE it.
  • Upvote 3

3 minutes ago, Destiny said:

Have you tried one of the myriad of cups on the market? I tried one thanks to FJ and I LOVE it.

Cups sound very intriguing. I wish I could have tried them 20 years ago. How many different brands did you have to try before you found one that was a good fit for you?

• Upvote 1

7 minutes ago, WhatWouldJohnCrichtonDo? said:
Cups sound very intriguing. I wish I could have tried them 20 years ago. How many different brands did you have to try before you found one that was a good fit for you?

My first brand worked, but stupid me cut the tail a bit too short that made for very difficult removal. My second brand, that was actually the cheapest on amazon, is bloody amazeballs and i wish i had made the change 20 years ago.

I started with small even though I’m over 30 figuring that being too small would be better than being too big with the goodies involved, and that turned out to be the right choice for me. 

I just looked. My first one was a Blossom brand, and my second was the Athena. I vastly prefer my Athena.

We save a pretty massive amount of money per year on tampons, because I always had to swap a lot because apparently I have a bladder that’s roughly the size of a pea, plus the obvious benefits to the environment and our not young plumbing. Best 20 dollars or so between the two i’ve ever spent.

Edited by Destiny
More words
  • Upvote 2
  • Thank You 2

@Destiny, there was a disposable cup on the market, back maybe 20 years ago. It was called "Instead". I got a box of them cheap (for free?) to try. When they worked, they were great. But when I didn't get it in right, or my body was just being weird, it was awful. Since they were disposable, they weren't better for the environment, so it's good they seem to be off the market. 

6 minutes ago, Destiny said:

My first brand worked, but stupid me cut the tail a bit too short that made for very difficult removal.

It's interesting that it has a tail for removal. The Instead cups didn't, and the diaphragm I used to use didn't. I just had to carefully hook a finger under the edge. I bet a tail helps.

• Upvote 1

It's interesting that it has a tail for removal. The Instead cups didn't, and the diaphragm I used to use didn't. I just had to carefully hook a finger under the edge. I bet a tail helps.

Yeah. My short fingers and arms would never let that work. Cutting the tail too short was a HUGE MISTAKE. They tell you to cut the tail to what works for you, but since I use the small one, i discovered there was no need to cut.

There is a learning curve around insertion, but I figured it out fairly easily. I will never go back to tampons again.
  • Upvote 2
  • Thank You 1

This discussion is perfectly timed! Since it looks like I'll be trying my cup (divacup) for the first time this week and I'm TERRIFIED. This thread is upping my confidence haha. I also went for the smaller size even though I'm over 30 and I'm glad to hear that wasn't a terrible choice. 

For tampons I switched to Natracare they are organic cotton with a cardboard applicator that I could actually use. And I've enjoyed them. I also took the leap about 6 months ago to cloth pads and I've found I really like the performa line from LunaPad and HannahPads. I have severe IBS that can be irritated when I'm on my period so I like having these as a less invasive option. 

These all came about in my effort to switch to more cruelty free products and the unplanned upside has been a waste free period. 

• Upvote 4
  • Thank You 2

I'm trying to work my daughter up into using a cup or period panties but living a dormitory 8 months out of the year she's a little skittish with publicish bathrooms 95% of the time, not really convenient. She is using the new to our area, 100% cotton organic pads and tampons. I had an IUD in for 6 years before I had it out in May and I haven't had a period in since it was put in, I'm almost 49 so I'm wondering if I'm not in full blown menopause so I'm not sure about any of these new reusable products, but am willing to try if I need them again. 

I remember reading somewhere a while back about a store somewhere that was a zero waste where you bring in  your own bottles and stuff and fill them up with lotions, soap, cleaning solutions. But I can't find it again, I would love to find a place like that. 

I also love the idea of electric cars, I have a friend who lives in So.Cal and has a Leaf, it is their 2nd one, her daughter uses their 1st but she said she has to stop on her way home from school to charge it or she can't make it home, I'm not so keen on the idea of having to recharge every time I go to and from work, too much wasted time. 

• Upvote 4

@WhatWouldJohnCrichtonDo? thank you for the reminder about period panties! I've been intending to research those as well. I'm 36 so should still have some time to go before menopause.

@Destiny honestly, cups scare me and I'm not even sure why. I birthed 2 children, surely I can handle a period cup! I will look on Amazon for the Athena and see about trying it.

@LacyMay I'll look up Natraca too. Thanks!

@allthegoodnamesrgone a 0 waste store like that would be fantastic! I wish things like that would be more prevalent. 

@Beermeet, here it is! ?

• Upvote 4
  • Thank You 1

@Ticklish  Thank you!  Love the title!!!

4 hours ago, LacyMay said:

This discussion is perfectly timed! Since it looks like I'll be trying my cup (divacup) for the first time this week and I'm TERRIFIED. This thread is upping my confidence haha. I also went for the smaller size even though I'm over 30 and I'm glad to hear that wasn't a terrible choice. 

For tampons I switched to Natracare they are organic cotton with a cardboard applicator that I could actually use. And I've enjoyed them. I also took the leap about 6 months ago to cloth pads and I've found I really like the performa line from LunaPad and HannahPads. I have severe IBS that can be irritated when I'm on my period so I like having these as a less invasive option. 

These all came about in my effort to switch to more cruelty free products and the unplanned upside has been a waste free period. 

I stopped using tampons. Don't get me wrong, I miss them. However,  while recovering from umbilical hernia surgery, I got my period. No way I could move my body to place one in. So, pads it was. I discovered that I had less cramping and it went away faster. Makes sense.  We are basically plugging up a natural flow. I gave it another shot even though I felt better and could physically use a tampon. Than, I went back to tampons and man, the cramps! Geez.  I use organic cotton pads now. I want to try the panties though!

• Upvote 5

I got a mooncup (UK brand) nine years ago and it is still going strong. I'll need to get a new one next year, as they don't recommend them for longer than ten years and I'll turn thirty.

I also use cloth pads. I have some pure cotton pantyliners from Imse Vimse, some bamboo/charcoal, fleecy ones from amazon, large fleecy ones from Precious stars and nice cotton ones in a range of sizes from cheeky wipes. All of them are great. You do have to wear fairly snug knickers though otherwise they can move around and the fleecy ones can be quite warm (which is why I have cotton ones as well) but are really really good at absorption.

Cleaning isn't too much of a faff either. For the cup, I just rinse when I can, and in public toilets just wipe, then boil after a period. For pads I rinse them quickly in cold water as soon as I am able (they fold up in to little pockets if you are out) then leave them to soak in cold water until I next do laundry. Then do them on a cold or 30° wash which is my standard wash anyway. If it's a long time between using the pad and laundry day I switch water every other day or so. So far had no problems. The cotton ones are more liable to stain, but I on't really care. Their purpose is to soak up blood, they can be stained. And hanging out in the sun helps!

Other little green things: I have a water bottle and take my lunch/drinks with me as much as possible. I hope to be able to take public transport/cycle to my new job soon, and drive much less. I should be able to get my groceries on foot/bicycle now I have moved.The above mentioned laundry on cold/30°, short cycle and line drying. The usual recycling (must find out what and how to recycle in my new location!). I had found a teeny tiny zero waste shop before I moved which was lovely and had been using a deodorant they stocked called Ben and Anna (German brand), completely natural in a cardboard push up tube, which seems to really work quite well. I have been using soap/shampoo/conditioner bars for years because lush had the clearly marked vegan shampoo and they happened to come in bars which are also great for travel. I should be flying way way less now with my new job.

• Upvote 4

Chiming in on the cup conversation. I started with a model 1 Diva Cup in my late 20s which is recommended for ages 19-30. I liked it and used it until just before my 31st birthday when I started having issues with leaking even through it was properly inserted. It took me a few days to remember the age recommendation but I switched to a slightly larger cup (a large/size 1 Super Jennie). As much as I liked the Diva, I Love the Super Jennie.

• Upvote 2

On 8/4/2019 at 4:10 AM, medimus said:

I have been using soap/shampoo/conditioner bars for years because lush had the clearly marked vegan shampoo and they happened to come in bars which are also great for travel. I should be flying way way less now with my new job.

I love love love Lush shampoo bars. Jumping Juniper is amazing and I was over the moon when they brought it back. I love the smell of karma komba but found I struggled with tangles I also liked Honey I Washed My Hair but it didn't give me the same clean feeling as Jumping Juniper. 

• Upvote 2

Hi can highly recommend the Dr. Bronner soaps. They don't dry out the skin, are environment friendly and can be used for many things like washing your clothes when backpacking.
Now I'm intrigued with the menstrual cups! How do you find the right size? And get cramping worse?

• Upvote 3
  • Thank You 1

I'm another fan of Dr Bronner's soaps, as it's all I use in the shower. In the summer, there's nothing more refreshing than their peppermint soap.

• Upvote 3
  • Love 1

I recently discovered that Dr. Bronner's makes toothpaste!  Which I'm now using (I prefer an SLS-free toothpaste due to a tendency to get canker sores)

• Upvote 1
  • Love 1

6 hours ago, clueliss said:

I recently discovered that Dr. Bronner's makes toothpaste!  Which I'm now using (I prefer an SLS-free toothpaste due to a tendency to get canker sores)

When I was a teenager and in the start of the acne crisis my mom had heard that fluoride might contribute to acne.

But. Dentists at the time seemed to be of the opinion that I should partake of the fluoride because of my special snowflake teeth.

Ok. So the minimal amount of acne remaining in my life is this light blackhead whitehead rash extension from my lips and around my chin.

Plus annoying ones on my lips.

Covering a lip zit is hell.

The research remains on this connection. So, I am going to have a shot at it. My teeth are going to die anyway, probably before me.

New natural toothpaste experience commences this evening.

• Upvote 3

FYI - SLS is shorthand/abbreviation for Sodium-Laurel Sulfate.  It's in soaps and shampoos (and toothpaste) to make it foamy.  I need my toothpaste to clean my teeth.  Not foaming is fine.  Most of the time the SLS free stuff is also fluoride free (now if my tap water was just fluoride free)

• Upvote 2

Oh they have toothpaste? Didn't know that! Unfortunately it's fluoride free. I did the all natural route a few years ago but it took a toll on my teeth. Fortunately we caught it early enough before they got caries so I have only a loss of enamel on some spots. But they need to be monitored closely. Aaaand dental care is awfully expensive [emoji28] So I switched back to toothpaste with fluoride (but sans SLS) on the advice of my dentist.
  • Upvote 2