IGNORED

Bro Gary Hawkins 11: Bro likes his food

samurai_sarah

OK folks, I've been out of town and couldn't get the internets working on my computer. Trying to catch up on FJ and I found this on Bro Gary's FB. Apologies if it's been posted because I was only on my phone and I hate trying to do things only on my phone. 

Missionaries to a black country (Uganda, AFRICA) and all I see is "they are white already" standing out to me. Am I reading too much into this? 

Spoiler

White1.png.492058bdec283880fd0325e6d3a33fb1.png

White2.png

• Upvote 4

1 hour ago, PumaLover said:

Missionaries to a black country (Uganda, AFRICA) and all I see is "they are white already" standing out to me. Am I reading too much into this

I have to say I would not have picked that translation and/or that verse, no. Especially not when I and my family look like they glow in the dark.

3 hours ago, thoughtful said:

Here's Romans 9 -- if you see anything in there about dresses and pants (or dress pants, as one comment would have it), Iran, or Donald Trump, let me know.

https://www.biblegateway.com/passage/?search=Romans+9&version=KJV

There certainly seems to be a very imaginative take of Romans 9 going on in the sermon.

• Upvote 4
  • I Agree 2

I do suspect that Gary has some type of a learning disability, his spelling and grammar are very similar to Mr. Briefly's which is caused by his dyslexia.  However, he should have someone else help him.  Spelling, grammar and proofread!  Not that I want Gary to get his message out any more than he already does, however!

Also, I had lunch with Mr Briefly at Incredible Pizza Company today. They have a huge buffet.  I noticed that one of the items on the buffet looked suspiciously like weens & gravy!  I think it was sausage links sliced up with bbq sauce, but I had a 6 Degrees of Separation moment!

• Upvote 5

On 9/24/2019 at 11:00 AM, thoughtful said:

But, there are still lots of things a person could do to earn (note that word, Gary - earn) a living if reading is not their strong suit. Gary's claiming to be a preacher, a person whose work is entirely done with words, pisses me off.

One of my cousins is majorly dyslexic.  Despite very involved parents, SLPs and a few really good teachers who took the time to work with him, his literacy is... not great.  But dear lord, can that man talk.  He's incredibly eloquent and engaging, and witty.  If he were at all religious, I have no doubt he'd make an excellent preacher - fortunately, he's one of the more irreverently funny atheists I know.  He dropped out of school early, but went back and finished with the help of adaptive technologies like software to read his textbooks aloud, and oral tests instead of written ones.

Point being, Gary's borderline illiteracy is an issue for his ministry, but there are ways around that - get a KJV audiobook, have Becky handle social media.  His poor public speaking and his family's lack of musical talent/training are bigger issues, but some coaching and music lessons would help.  His stubborn ignorance and refusal to improve any of the skills that preachers rely on are the biggest problem - and unlike a learning disability or a crappy childhood, ignorance and stubbornness are things he could change if he wanted.  That's what makes all the Weenese and scream-preaching snarkable to me.  Along with the bigotry, as you said.

• Upvote 9
  • I Agree 2

2 hours ago, FullOfGravy said:

Point being, Gary's borderline illiteracy is an issue for his ministry, but there are ways around that - get a KJV audiobook, have Becky handle social media.  His poor public speaking and his family's lack of musical talent/training are bigger issues, but some coaching and music lessons would help.  His stubborn ignorance and refusal to improve any of the skills that preachers rely on are the biggest problem - and unlike a learning disability or a crappy childhood, ignorance and stubbornness are things he could change if he wanted.  That's what makes all the Weenese and scream-preaching snarkable to me.  Along with the bigotry, as you said.

Well-said, and it made me realize that I hadn't articulated my suspicions that Bro Gary's issues come more from his unwillingness to change than anything else.

He could very well be a person who, if he had been properly taught and open to instruction, would have had no problems at all with written or spoken language. And, as you said, if he has genuine difficulties, he could avail himself of all kinds of help and support.

But he thinks he's got God in his pocket, just as he is. I think his main disability is arrogance.

• Upvote 9
  • I Agree 3

We bein' trolled? Far too late for me to recap whatever sermon was last night. 

NathanBro.png

• Haha 1
  • Thank You 3

12 hours ago, PumaLover said:

We bein' trolled? Far too late for me to recap whatever sermon was last night. 

NathanBro.png

"Breathy sensual romance ballads to Jesus are blasphemous!" Yeah everyone knows he prefers off key clunky songs accompanied by one instrument.

• Upvote 2
  • Haha 1

4 hours ago, Ozlsn said:

"Breathy sensual romance ballads to Jesus are blasphemous!" Yeah everyone knows he prefers off key clunky songs accompanied by one instrument.

Or the handsaw. 

• Haha 7

Ay, yi, yi, the missionary flyer above.  The little girl in her sexy pose with her hand on her hip.  Yep, that screams going to Africa to serve Jesus.  

Hey, Gary, JRod, and Lazy Lori.  Did you know your hero, King James, was Catholic and only converted to protestant so that he could gain the throne?  Power and politics.  

Gary is astoundingly foolish, but the pastors and congregations who welcome him, and are willing to sit in the sweltering heat in a tent to listen to him blather are beyond comprehension.

• Upvote 4
  • I Agree 5

10 minutes ago, wallysmommy said:

Gary is astoundingly foolish, but the pastors and congregations who welcome him, and are willing to sit in the sweltering heat in a tent to listen to him blather are beyond comprehension.

I always think "we've got DVDs now, there's got to be better entertainment available!" At the very least get a fan in the tent, sheesh!

• Upvote 3

I looked at the comments on last bight’s live video. They’re... interesting.

First one is just a “hayman!” Then just random words/phrases.

Spoiler

32AD8A91-3FB5-4B0C-9D12-D3084A949495.thumb.png.81dab7b6e4a09072d0e833c9cfd9c8e6.png

The heck is a moticycke? And Raymond Tommy became convicted in the middle of a movie. He then stated that the movie was Ernest goes to camp. Nobody cares!

Spoiler

D4D27D97-57E9-414D-BB6E-3AE5B07ACBED.thumb.png.d47286a4b5412e9e06fa2985b5db6f86.png

More random comments. Tommy Walker clarifies what we’re witnessing, in case anyone hadn’t worked it out.

Spoiler

90A27B93-AA1B-433E-BE67-3823DAD59DC0.thumb.png.b431b699c939815b7549eb8e652f4db7.png

• WTF 4
  • Haha 3

4 hours ago, Lillymuffin said:

Where is this flier? I’m not seeing it. 

It’s the first post at the top of this page.

• I Agree 1
  • Thank You 1

7 hours ago, mango_fandango said:

I looked at the comments on last bight’s live video. They’re... interesting.

First one is just a “hayman!” Then just random words/phrases.

Hide contents

32AD8A91-3FB5-4B0C-9D12-D3084A949495.thumb.png.81dab7b6e4a09072d0e833c9cfd9c8e6.png

The heck is a moticycke? And Raymond Tommy became convicted in the middle of a movie. He then stated that the movie was Ernest goes to camp. Nobody cares!

Hide contents

D4D27D97-57E9-414D-BB6E-3AE5B07ACBED.thumb.png.d47286a4b5412e9e06fa2985b5db6f86.png

More random comments. Tommy Walker clarifies what we’re witnessing, in case anyone hadn’t worked it out.

Hide contents

90A27B93-AA1B-433E-BE67-3823DAD59DC0.thumb.png.b431b699c939815b7549eb8e652f4db7.png

"I love seeing the tiny MOGS at the alter".

I have no idea what MOGS are.

Mothers Of Girls Singing?

Millions Of Green Sheep?

Mini Orange Growing Snakes?

WTAF??

Edited by Ozlsn
Verbing is hard
  • Haha 15

3 minutes ago, Ozlsn said:

"I love seeing the tiny MOGS at the alter".

I have no idea what MOGS are.

Mothers Of Girls Sing?

Millions Of Green Sheep?

Mini Orange Growing Snakes?

WTAF??

Tiny "men of God"...s?

• Haha 8

3 minutes ago, WhatWouldJohnCrichtonDo? said:

Tiny "men of God"...s?

Tiny Men of God's Sons?

Tiny Moose Or Goose Souvlakis?

Tiny Meat on Grain Sandwiches?

Edited by Ozlsn
It's Bro Gary, it's food..
  • Upvote 1
  • Haha 12

Tiny Monkeys on Giant Sardines??

Tiny Millionaires on Great Sleighs?

Tiny Mice on Gay Salmon?

• Upvote 1
  • Haha 10

On 9/28/2019 at 7:09 PM, smittykins said:

It’s the first post at the top of this page.

Thank you. For some reason, I thought the flier had Bro Haw on it, hence my confusion. (Cue mental image of Bro Gary w/ one hand on his hip, hip popped, pouting sexily at the camera.) Don’t worry—I’ll see myself out. 

• Haha 12

1 hour ago, Lillymuffin said:

Thank you. For some reason, I thought the flier had Bro Haw on it, hence my confusion. (Cue mental image of Bro Gary w/ one hand on his hip, hip popped, pouting sexily at the camera.) Don’t worry—I’ll see myself out. 

GAG GAG GAG

Now that is something I cannot unsee.

• Haha 6

1 hour ago, Lillymuffin said:

With a ween hanging suggestively between his lips...

• Disgust 5
  • Haha 7

• samurai_sarah locked this topic
  • samurai_sarah unlocked and locked this topic