IGNORED

Alyssa and John 4: SOTDRT Next Generation

GreyhoundFan

Alyssa posted a pic saying her in-laws took the girls for the night so her and John could have a date night. The picture made me double take for a second because I forget that she’s only a year older than me until a picture like that where she looks like a college student and not a mom of three. Based on the post and an accompanying comment, I really don’t think there will be an announcement from them any time soon. She mentioned enjoying the quiet with the girls gone and then commented laughing emojis on a comment from a friend that said she’d see her at her baby shower sometime before next May. Of course, she could announce tomorrow and I could be totally wrong, but I’ll honestly be surprised. 

• Upvote 4
  • I Agree 1
  • Love 1

32 minutes ago, JanasTattooParlor said:

I really don’t think there will be an announcement from them any time soon. She mentioned enjoying the quiet with the girls gone and then commented laughing emojis on a comment from a friend that said she’d see her at her baby shower sometime before next May. Of course, she could announce tomorrow and I could be totally wrong, but I’ll honestly be surprised

Alyssa needs a new heart surgery soon. If she got pregnant before, she'd be very irresponsible, in my opinion. But considering she was scared with the last surgery, and that it's a serious condition, I would be really surprised with a baby announcement.

• Upvote 9
  • I Agree 11
  • Love 1

I also read somewhere that her heart meds can cause birth defects. If she gets pregnant now, she's a fool.

• Upvote 8
  • I Agree 2

16 hours ago, Melissa1977 said:

Alyssa needs a new heart surgery soon. If she got pregnant before, she'd be very irresponsible, in my opinion. But considering she was scared with the last surgery, and that it's a serious condition, I would be really surprised with a baby announcement.

If she did get pregnant now, it would be the most clear sign we'd have of their beliefs.  

I truly wish that any 2nd gen would make a real statement about birth control.  Alyssa posting "no babies until after surgery" would be great too.  No they don't "owe" me an explanation about their reproduction.  But dammit I want one. 

• Upvote 13
  • I Agree 1
  • Love 1

I wouldn't take her "baby fever" comment as meaning she is trying for a baby. I have baby fever and love snuggling little babes, but my IUD is still firmly in place. 

I am curious about the potential birth defects with the heart meds she is (potentially) taking and how well documented those are and how firm her cardiologist is about no babies. There are certain drugs (like accutane, for example) that they will not prescribe and allow a patient to take without proof of being on birth control because the link to birth defects is so strong. 

• Upvote 7
  • Love 1

36 minutes ago, Casserole said:

I wouldn't take her "baby fever" comment as meaning she is trying for a baby. I have baby fever and love snuggling little babes, but my IUD is still firmly in place. 

I am curious about the potential birth defects with the heart meds she is (potentially) taking and how well documented those are and how firm her cardiologist is about no babies. There are certain drugs (like accutane, for example) that they will not prescribe and allow a patient to take without proof of being on birth control because the link to birth defects is so strong. 

The current literature suggests that the potential risk for her and pregnancy with the most common drugs on the market would be in the first trimester. The article I read suggested alternatives for the most used drugs for the mother if she is pregnant, including Procainamide and Lidocaine (through an IV).  However, that is if they know the cause of her heart issues, as the treatment protocol is different if there is an electrical issue and no deformity to the heart or if it is one of another myriad of issues. It also depends on her symptoms. Is she feeing fluttering, which is known to increase during pregnancy? Or is she suffering from syncope (my symptom)? Is she having pain or just a weird sensation? Are there issues with breathing with her heart symptoms?

Given that the invasive treatment was not successful the first time and medication is not helping to the point that she is going through the procedure again, it would indicate that her options on medication are not great. It would probably not be in her best interest to get pregnant at this time. Not treating her condition during pregnancy increases the risk to both her life and the fetus. Treating her increases the risk of harm to the fetus. In some women, the symptoms worsen during pregnancy. 

If she wants to continue having children, the procedure where they burn the areas (the one she is having for the second time) is her best bet, as she could potentially live normally and not even have to have any medication for it long term.  

My procedure and try at medication were both after my hysterectomy. But I know each time I was at the cardiologist I was asked numerous times about the possibility that I might be pregnant. I threatened to wear a shirt saying I had a hysterectomy, as I was annoyed with all the questioning and the nurses didn't get my sarcasm about it. 

• Upvote 3
  • Thank You 5
  • Love 2

If Alyssa didn’t have this heart problem, I think she would be pregnant with #4 right now. My guess is that they are using something to prevent pregnancy (condoms, NFP, whatever) and she likely won’t get pregnant until a surgery successfully fixes her issue. Part of her baby fever could be that she knows she can’t get pregnant due to her meds and possible surgery. Some people want something even more when they know they can’t have it. 

• Upvote 14
  • I Agree 2
  • Love 1

Alyssa and shoes: If you saw my shoe collection, you'd swear I'd blown a bundle. Except for my Nike and Saucony running shoes (I don't run but those are the ones that my orthopedic doc recommends for my fucked up feet and ankles), the whole collection is worth MAYBE 500 bucks...And yes, I have shoes, I have tons of shoes I'm just cheap AF 

• Upvote 7

In this particular case, I really hope they are doing more to prevent pregnancy than NFP. I don't trust that they are educated enough to follow proper NFP (tracking cervical mucus etc.), and the rhythm method alone is waaaay too unreliable when pregnancy is contraindicated like in Alyssa's case. With any of the other couples, I'd say using the rhythm method to at least space children further apart would be a good step, but it's definitely not enough for the Websters.

• Upvote 13
  • I Agree 1
  • Love 1

I can imagine that the Websters, who seem a little bit more practical in their beliefs, could actually think that prevention in a case like this is no sin as long as it is not 'killing babies' (birth control pill). But maybe it is just that I hope they do.

• Upvote 9
  • Love 1

17 hours ago, JillyO said:

In this particular case, I really hope they are doing more to prevent pregnancy than NFP. I don't trust that they are educated enough to follow proper NFP (tracking cervical mucus etc.), and the rhythm method alone is waaaay too unreliable when pregnancy is contraindicated like in Alyssa's case. With any of the other couples, I'd say using the rhythm method to at least space children further apart would be a good step, but it's definitely not enough for the Websters.

I could see them doing something like the Marquette method, which is pretty clear. And you don’t really have to worry about cervical mucus as it tests the urine. 

• I Agree 2
  • Love 1

On 8/9/2019 at 4:05 AM, CarrotCake said:

I can imagine that the Websters, who seem a little bit more practical in their beliefs, could actually think that prevention in a case like this is no sin as long as it is not 'killing babies' (birth control pill). But maybe it is just that I hope they do.

Maybe, I'd be curious as to how the Webster side of the family would influence their belief's on birth control. John is one of six, so idk if they're quiverfull. As of now, all his siblings have 3-4 kids. I got this from fundiewiki, but it seems like his oldest sibling stopped when the wife was in her early thirties after three, and the second waited like 6 years after marriage before having 3 relatively close together, another gap and one more. So, while it could be fertility struggles, it could also easily be some form of birth control. It looks like Jordan and Elizabeth are still in their childbearing years, so I guess we'll see soon if they add more kids. 

But yeah, I hope they're being smart about this too. 

• Upvote 7
  • Love 1

Alyssa posted on Instagram that her second SVT surgery is scheduled for this month. I am not a doctor, but I would assume that means she's probably not pregnant?

I'm very glad for her that she's getting the treatment she needs. She was pretty forthright in her caption that she's afraid of going under again and apprehensive about the recovery; I hope everything goes well for her.

Between her talking about her fears and worries for this surgery and Joy discussing how she's mourning her loss, some of the second generation are modeling better emotional behaviour for their siblings. I hope their openness means that they aren't teaching their daughters to keep sweet.

• Upvote 21
  • Love 1

A relative asked me yesterday if we were going to try for a girl since we have two boys and I simply told her we'd like more children regardless if the next ones were girls. Such an annoying question. Frankly if we had only more boys I'd be fine with it. My boys clothing stash is enviable at this point. 

My children have a ton of shoes and neither of them have ever worn the bulk of them because they've been gifts or hand-me-downs and they're sizing up and out of things before I get to use them all. My in-laws just brought me home two more pairs from a relative passing them on at church today and I'm in luck that my oldest can wear them right now. The wonderful thing about kids items is that I've got quite the dragon's lair of a stash in boys' clothes and shoes right now, and I didn't pay any money for them. Gifts and hand-me-downs are awesome. 

• Upvote 9
  • Love 1

It looks like Alyssa is having surgery again in a few weeks because it didnt work the first time.  She said Kate and John helped alot the first time.  Did everyone see the picture of Katie with the young man? 

• Upvote 2
  • Love 1

I honestly hope some of Alyssa’s sisters see that Alyssa is likely using some form of birth control and see for themselves that there are times when it’s best for a family. 

• Upvote 6
  • I Agree 3
  • Love 1

On 8/11/2019 at 11:29 PM, Nodaknorskie said:

It looks like Alyssa is having surgery again in a few weeks because it didnt work the first time.  She said Kate and John helped alot the first time.  Did everyone see the picture of Katie with the young man? 

Interesting that she only thanked Katie and John and not her lazy parents. They traveled to florida just to visit her in the hospital and drop Katie there so she could actually do the work.

• Upvote 4
  • Love 1

2 hours ago, llucie said:

Interesting that she only thanked Katie and John and not her lazy parents. They traveled to florida just to visit her in the hospital and drop Katie there so she could actually do the work.

(I’m not a fan of the Bates parents) however, one could argue that Gil and Kelly still have several young children at home to “care” for, while Katie does not.

• Upvote 5
  • I Agree 1
  • Love 1

8 hours ago, FaithAndReason said:

(I’m not a fan of the Bates parents) however, one could argue that Gil and Kelly still have several young children at home to “care” for, while Katie does not.

Nowadays at least they have nannies (that they try to hide) but usually it was just their older daughters taking care of their children since the times they were children themselves.

So i will not give them credit for having children to take care of, specially when they have not problem to travel all the time whithout them.

• Upvote 8
  • Love 1

10 hours ago, FaithAndReason said:

I generally agree with you, but firstly, when a child, even an adult one, is severely sick (and by that I mean not just a common cold but something that is pretty scary) parents ought to be there to help. The Bates have created this huge happy family image and IMO situations like Alyssa’s are ones when family is actually needed. Other kids need to take a backseat during a surgery and the following recovery. This is to say, only for a short period of time and not frequently. 

Secondly, if you have so many children you can’t adequately provide practical and emotional support even during a time of crisis, well, you have too many kids. 

• Upvote 8
  • I Agree 2
  • Love 1

11 hours ago, FluffySnowball said:

I generally agree with you, but firstly, when a child, even an adult one, is severely sick (and by that I mean not just a common cold but something that is pretty scary) parents ought to be there to help. The Bates have created this huge happy family image and IMO situations like Alyssa’s are ones when family is actually needed. Other kids need to take a backseat during a surgery and the following recovery. This is to say, only for a short period of time and not frequently. 

Secondly, if you have so many children you can’t adequately provide practical and emotional support even during a time of crisis, well, you have too many kids. 

Again, I said I am no fan of the Bates parents. I'm just saying they DO, in fact, still have younger children. And yes, we already know they've had too many children to properly care and support, even without Alyssa having a health problem. I also wonder if Alyssa may have preferred her sister to her parents helping her out. 

• Upvote 2
  • Confused 1
  • WTF 1
  • Love 1

10 hours ago, FaithAndReason said:

Again, I said I am no fan of the Bates parents. I'm just saying they DO, in fact, still have younger children. And yes, we already know they've had too many children to properly care and support, even without Alyssa having a health problem. I also wonder if Alyssa may have preferred her sister to her parents helping her out. 

Nowhere did i say you’re a Bates supporter. Just added my thoughts. Calm down. 

Edited by FluffySnowball
  • Upvote 2
  • Haha 1

• HerNameIsBuffy locked this topic