IGNORED

Alyssa and John 4: SOTDRT Next Generation

GreyhoundFan

2 hours ago, Johannah said:

Do you think this “friend” bought the matching zebra print dress for Alyssa too?

I feel like this could veer into creepy territory quickly. Seems like a potential power trip - someone getting off on knowing they get to dictate what these girls wear and knowing it will show up in the Sunday family church photo on Instagram every week. ?

Yes she did. This is a comment from the zebra dresses pic. Tikky also commented once that she looks for the dresses online and takes the time to find the perfect one. That’s weird imo. Why would you dedicate so much time and money for dresses for your friends daughters? I don’t get it 

EB0B7597-1F3E-46F5-BEE0-F80BCF918F52.jpeg

• Upvote 8

I feel like this could veer into creepy territory quickly. Seems like a potential power trip - someone getting off on knowing they get to dictate what these girls wear and knowing it will show up in the Sunday family church photo on Instagram every week. ?

Absolutely agree and not only there's someone else picking their outfits, but also it probably means that sometimes Alyssa is dressing her girls in dresses she doesn't like, but is forced to because the weird grifting relationship. I'm saying this because some of the dresses are not Alyssa's style, others do not fit well the girls (look too big) etc. Of course she could just say NO, so not that I'm sorry for her!

Another surprising thing is that she's not passing the dresses to Erin girls. I wonder if the dresses are back to the *fan* right after they are worn once. It would be ridiculous to keep more than 100 dresses in a closet, and Alyssa's house is not big. Brooklyn and Everly are never matching and rarely wear fancy dresses and I wonder if it's a budget issue. Maybe the dresses are sent to the Websters side?

• Upvote 6

Maybe the dresses get sold to a consignment shop after getting a picture in them?

The matching dress gifts are weird, but the whole life they live is weird. I will never understand the desire to be famous(ish). It's pretty clearly not about sharing the message of salvation at this point, if it ever was. Not with Kelly posting the photos she does of her sons and the women using their "platforms" to shill shampoo and subscription boxes. Plus you just invite people to scrutinize your every word or emoji because you insist on being in the public eye. 

• Upvote 8
  • I Agree 6
  • Love 1

What must other people at Alyssa’s church think of this? It’s like a matching fashion parade every week! Hardly humble or Christ-like...

• Upvote 12
  • I Agree 4
  • Love 1

What must other people at Alyssa’s church think of this? It’s like a matching fashion parade every week! Hardly humble or Christ-like...

Oh you must be confused how Christianity works ?

• Upvote 7
  • Haha 25
  • Love 2

6 hours ago, Melissa1977 said:

It would be ridiculous to keep more than 100 dresses in a closet, and Alyssa's house is not big.

This brings back memories of a book I read as a child. It was called The Hundred Dresses, and was the story of a poor girl whose mother was dead, and was raised by her father who was an immigrant, I think. When the girls at her school picked on her for wearing the same ill-fitting dress every day, she told them that she had a hundred dresses in her closet. At the end of the story, she moves quickly, as I recall, and one of her classmates goes into her vacant apartment, only to discover drawings of her classmates wearing beautiful dresses. Can't believe I remember so much about a book I probably read close to 40 years ago.

• Upvote 15
  • I Agree 1
  • Love 5

@Audrey2 I had the same thought and almost shared it! My mom actually still has the book. I think the drawings were just of the beautiful dresses she described. Her classmates thought she was making them up because she was clearly very poor. But there they were, lined up in the closet just like she said. 

• Upvote 8
  • Love 2

13 hours ago, Melissa1977 said:

I wonder if the dresses are back to the *fan* right after they are worn once.

11 hours ago, theotherelise said:

Maybe the dresses get sold to a consignment shop after getting a picture in them?

If Alyssa were actually famous, instead of just kinda famous, I could see a fan making money this way. The dresses could sell for more than they originally cost after the Truly Famous™️ family had worn them and posted pictures on social media.

Edited by WhatWouldJohnCrichtonDo?
Found a better word in my brain thesaurus.
  • Upvote 6
  • I Agree 1

10 hours ago, WhatWouldJohnCrichtonDo? said:

If Alyssa were actually famous, instead of just kinda famous, I could see a fan making money this way. The dresses could sell for more than they originally cost after the Truly Famous™️ family had worn them and posted pictures on social media.

That would be extra gross, imo. Selling worn children's clothes specifically bc they were worn by a known child. 

(I don't think selling clothes is gross- it's the idea of the clothes being worn by a particular child (and using that as a selling point) that I find gross)

• Upvote 4
  • I Agree 4

Having a large family is definitely a status symbol these days. I see it with a lot of upper middle class and wealthy families. I feel like I hardly ever see any wealthy families with just one or two kids. They seem to at least have three or more. But I know TONS of middle class families with just 2 kids.

Edited by JermajestyDuggar
  • Upvote 4
  • I Agree 1

On 10/7/2019 at 4:36 PM, SassyPants said:

How many times has Erin been pregnant since she’s been married? I know that she has been married the same number of years as my daughter, and my daughter has 1 child, and is years older than Erin. Erin is going to keep getting pregnant until her uterus falls out. I just can not imagine her life or life plan at all. It is not healthy or financially sustainable. 

Seven times in almost 6 years?

• Upvote 2
  • Thank You 1
  • Love 1

#gladshedidntmarryat19

#tryingformostkidsinfamily

#howlonguntilpoorchadishavingheadaches

#shellbethenextzuestackingchildrenlikecordwood

• Upvote 12
  • Love 2

I just went through her Instagram and counted over 25 matching outfits.  It's cute now and then, but I'd prefer seeing the girls Express their own unique personalities.  Although is that even allowed?

• Upvote 7
  • I Agree 7

Speaking of which, Alyssa getting testy about people questioning the gifted matching outfits every week:

Spoiler

Screenshot_2019-10-21-20-49-13.thumb.png.e4b329c4ee4501de4ef23863191ffe09.png

Because it's weird, Alyssa. It's weird. Unless my friend was Daddy Warbucks or Scrooge McDuck, I would be incredibly uncomfortable with them spending that much money on me and my children. 

• Upvote 17
  • I Agree 10
  • Love 4

Related to that: Alyssa is right that she does always tag her promotional posts as ads. But her sisters aren't as careful: Whitney was shilling a phone case today and Josie was praising a rug. I think she's getting a bit of backlash because she's being associated with their bad behaviour. Live by the sword, die by the sword.... or in the Bateses' case, once a grifter, always a grifter, no matter how hard you're trying to move away from the family.

• Upvote 5
  • I Agree 2
  • Love 4

That reminds me of that episode of "Friends" where Joey doesn't know how to use quotation marks & Ross is getting annoyed by him. Joey accidentally punches Ross in the face and says "Oops"!!! Using his fingers as quotation marks. If I knew how to post the link I would because it was hilarious! 

• Upvote 6
  • Haha 6
  • I Agree 1
  • Love 1

18 hours ago, freethemall said:

I just went through her Instagram and counted over 25 matching outfits.  It's cute now and then, but I'd prefer seeing the girls Express their own unique personalities.  Although is that even allowed?

She wouldn’t be able to handle my girl. 
it’s a nightmare trying to get her into a dress. 
My kid wants shorts (not girly ones unless it’s that or a skirt) and preferably always spiderman ones. 
she picks some amazing outfits on her own... 

sometimes I force her into a dress with bribery or just flat out tears on both our parts, for a special photo. Dress in on for the photo and then off. Saves on washing I suppose. 
Other than that I like her individuality. She prefers boy clothes over girls clothes  and that’s fine with me 99 percent of the time. One percent is the occasional professional photographer. 
I would have loved a little girl that liked bows and frills. What I didn’t know is that I love this little girl I got even more. 

• Upvote 5
  • Love 11

19 hours ago, freethemall said:

I just went through her Instagram and counted over 25 matching outfits.  It's cute now and then, but I'd prefer seeing the

girls Express their own unique personalities.  Although is that even allowed?

I don't know what are logical prices in the US for clothes like this so I will guess.

If you assume the outfits cost probably at least $50 each time (20 for Alyssa and 10 each for the girls, which seems like a minimum to me) this person has spend at least $1250 on a complete stranger.

• Upvote 10
  • WTF 2

3 hours ago, CarrotCake said:

I don't know what are logical prices in the US for clothes like this so I will guess.

If you assume the outfits cost probably at least $50 each time (20 for Alyssa and 10 each for the girls, which seems like a minimum to me) this person has spend at least $1250 on a complete stranger.

I think more likely, the *minimum* for an adult dress would be $35 and the girls' dresses, $15 or $20 each.

• Upvote 6
  • I Agree 1
  • Love 1

6 hours ago, AussieKrissy said:

She wouldn’t be able to handle my girl. 
it’s a nightmare trying to get her into a dress. 
My kid wants shorts (not girly ones unless it’s that or a skirt) and preferably always spiderman ones. 
she picks some amazing outfits on her own... 

sometimes I force her into a dress with bribery or just flat out tears on both our parts, for a special photo. Dress in on for the photo and then off. Saves on washing I suppose. 
Other than that I like her individuality. She prefers boy clothes over girls clothes  and that’s fine with me 99 percent of the time. One percent is the occasional professional photographer. 
I would have loved a little girl that liked bows and frills. What I didn’t know is that I love this little girl I got even more. 

That’s how I was as a kid. No dresses unless bribed or I was playing dress up. I got left home from church one Easter because I refused to wear a dress. My mom made my dad come back and get me. He didn’t punish me. I would not have lasted long in a fundie family. I was always a good kid that listened but I hated dresses. 

• Upvote 10

5 hours ago, CarrotCake said:

Does the giver maybe own a clothes store? And is doing it for the free advertising, which would make it a business expense and therefore tax deductible??? That's the only remotely non-stalker explanation I can think of... ?‍♀️

• Upvote 7

1 hour ago, scoutsadie said:

I think more likely, the *minimum* for an adult dress would be $35 and the girls' dresses, $15 or $20 each.

Yes I tried to be conservative in my calculations but if we use those numbers it would be $80 each time so even $2000 in total.

Just now, IrishCarrie said:

Does the giver maybe own a clothes store? And is doing it for the free advertising, which would make it a business expense and therefore tax deductible??? That's the only remotely non-stalker explanation I can think of... ?‍♀️

Not that I know of. Her Instagram is private so no advertising and I think she once reacted that she just likes to get them for the girls.

• Upvote 5
  • Thank You 2
  • Love 1

• HerNameIsBuffy locked this topic