IGNORED

Botkin Alert. They are back on the conference circuit!

Palimpsest

17 hours ago, Marian the Librarian said:

Bumping to report that registration for the conference is now open, and here are some of The Rules:

I wonder if anyone they don't already know will sign up??

They’re making it awfully difficult for any undercover anti-terrorist operative (FBI?) to register, for sure.

• Upvote 4

19 minutes ago, refugee said:

For our part, I would take note of what the kids liked in the catalog and then find lower-priced versions elsewhere.  (For example, American Girl/Liberty-scale dolls at Target, and the fancy calligraphy kit in a wooden case from an online retailer, maybe even the same source where VF got them before marking them way up.)

But I was also stupid enough to buy some of their books and CDs before the bloom was off the rose.

No!! Not “stupid.”  Just under-informed. 

(Glad to have helped FTFY via FJ!)

• Upvote 3
  • Love 3

On 8/2/2019 at 8:47 PM, Marmion said:

Their soldiers might have likely just felt that ,  whatever else the war might be about , for them they were just serving and defending their respective states .

Fighting for the confederacy was treason, but I speak from the perspective of a descendant of slaves.  There will never be anything honorable about fighting to keep slavery, treason notwithstanding. 

Edited by SilverBeach
  • Upvote 12
  • I Agree 5
  • Love 3

7 hours ago, hoipolloi said:

So, what is defiling behavior? 

Spoiler

Dis is defiling behavior!

image.png.7eb53e089f449827fa60eb310cf46a74.png

Oh, sorry -- I have a code id de dose.

• Upvote 1
  • Haha 14

21 hours ago, SilverBeach said:

Fighting for the confederacy was treason, but I speak from the perspective of a descendant of slaves.  There will never be anything honorable about fighting to keep slavery, treason notwithstanding. 

I get what you are saying , but I was primarily just expressing that I hold no grudge towards the descendants of Confederate veterans , especially those whom might be members of our forum . Also , I was thinking of such historical figures as Newton Knight  , and James Longstreet . But yes , as I posted before , I have come to see the cause of southern secession as having been unjustified . 

• Upvote 3
  • Love 1

1 minute ago, Marmion said:

I get what you are saying , but I was primarily just expressing that I hold no grudge towards the descendants of Confederate veterans , especially those whom might be members of our forum . Also , I was thinking of such historical figures as Newton Knight  , and James Longstreet . But yes , as I posted before , I have come to see the cause of southern secession as having been unjustified . 

And I get what you are saying. I hold no grudges either, unless there is sympathy for what their ancestors were fighting for.  You can call it unjustified or whatever, but it was treason, plain and simple.  It's so much more than theoretical or of historical interest to me. It's personal.

• Upvote 10
  • Love 1

The Botkin Screening Process (IMAGINARY)  

Dear Potential Registrant for Conference:

We see you have attempted to register for our Very Exclusive Conference.  As we did not send you a personal invitation we have to ask you a few questions and ask for further information.

Question 1.  Did you find out about this conference from:

1. Your father
  2. Your pastor
  3. A friend
  4. Surfing the internet looking for help for your aging parents
  5. A defiling site we will not name but the harlots and heathens who post there call it FJ

Please note: if your answer is #4 or #5 you are pre-banned.  Spanky is an apostate.  And FJ readers and members do not pass Go.  They go straight to Hell.

Question 2.  Did your father, pastor, or friend suggest you came to the conference to:

1. Imbibe our wisdom and develop your 200 Year Plan
  2. Observe the Botkin Sisters in captivity with a view to matrimony
  3. Prove your manliness by shooting guns in a unsafe environment
  4. Buy a T-Rex holster
  5. Get converted
  6. Laugh

Please note:  If your answer is #5 or #6 you are pre-banned.  This conference is for experienced Botkinite "Christians."  No amateurs allowed.  And there is nothing funny about Burning in the Fiery Pit of Hell.

If your answer is 1- 4 additional information is required.

For all potential registrants we need:

1. A letter from your father
  2. A letter from your pastor
  3. Letters from 27 other true Botkinite "Christians" vouching for your reliability
  4. Your testimony
  5. A draft of a 200 Year Plan.  We will help you refine it
  6. If female you may just identify your headship.  But we don't understand why you are applying on your own so you should probably just consider yourself pre-banned.  We want no competition for the Botkin Sisters.

Additional Info.

1. If your answer is YES to #2, please apply to Duck Biologist Geoffrey Botkin for the 500 page Questionnaire in advance
  2. If your answer is YES to #3, please provide proof of purchase of a T-Rex appendix holster guaranteed to shoot off your manly appendages if the safety catch is not fully engaged.  And WELCOME!
  3. If your answer is YES to #4, we are glad to have you!  In fact we may excuse you from ALL the above requirements because we REALLY need to build the business and sales are down!

Edited by Palimpsest
  • Upvote 1
  • Rufus Bless 1
  • Haha 22
  • Love 5

Based on my being a Bright Lights Leader (Sarah Mally) in the past - Permission slip from your headship.  (wish I were kidding).  Headship being father or husband.  (No husband here.  Ruled out father as, well, long story.  So I got an elder at my church to sign and provided an explanation regarding this).  

• Upvote 8
  • WTF 2
  • Thank You 1

On 8/7/2019 at 9:32 PM, Hane said:

Several years ago, I considered lurking at a Maxhell event held at the town next to mine, but had a Worldly Community Theater conflict. (In their subsequent reporting on the event, the Maxhellions damned central Connecticut with vanishingly faint praise.)

How they picture us lurking outside a maxhell event (or botkin, or any fundie conference ?)

Spoiler

lurk.gif.d1b4c7958841c5335a0fcdfc336ecdfd.gif

But when we actually start watching the conference ?

Spoiler

conf.gif.fc394c125ca26275089fbef4c51292ff.gif

• Haha 7

@thoughtful that catalog link was a gem.  I’m glad most of it is melting down, but damn the good old days made for easy snarking.

and poor Kelly.  She’s in there with the book she wrote about her paternal grandfather.  

• Upvote 5

This thread got me wondering if Doug's feature film debut could be found online, and . . . it could! I posted it in the Doug thread:

• Upvote 2
  • Thank You 3

• 4 weeks later...

This has been discussed elsewhere but I sure appreciate the graphics you shared! The circle around the back of the young man’s head sure screams “this is a matchmaking opportunity!” to me!!!

• Haha 1

Got this email update today from Western Conservatory.

Perhaps the gullible faithful aren't exactly flocking to sign up for the conference:

1379770385_BotkinConference.thumb.png.8d277aa5802f85c77bf3bb4e3705542d.png

• Upvote 7

Anyone read the bios of the speakers? What the hell is a serial entrepreneur? Doesn't that mean you've failed a lot? 

• Upvote 7
  • Haha 7

I just found this thread after looking up the 10 Talents web site based on info in the Botkin thread.  The Web site is slick and professional and oriented to 20 and 30 somethings, as far as I can tell.  Not a gray hair in the bunch.  This is the match.com of conferences, because they pair you up (!) with people of similar interests and goals so you can.....wait for it!.....network!  Like you are not already doing this with the people your own age in your small group Bible study and your church's ministries.  

So why are so many of the speakers/mentors dinosaurs from the fundy movement?  Speakers.  I get this vibe for sure.  

It's $120 bucks a pop, and there's room for 180 people! 

That said, not all the people are interested in evangelizing and church plants and have some useful interests, like fighting human trafficking, although I wasn't clear if these are the actual interests of actual people pictured on their web site and if they are actually attending the conference, or if they are just made up people using images available on the internet and randomly assigned amazing interests to make the conference seem like you might actually meet someone who is a Spanish translating midwife who does elder care (!) and counseling. 

Edited by Howl
  • Upvote 10

Damn! My real life and FJ collide. I know Tim and Deborah Yarbrough. I don't know them very well though. I did get a sort of fundiesh vibe from them, but not the sort that would associate themselves with the Botkins or VF. Some of Tim's stuff can be found at: https://chalcedon.edu/resources#
He seems to worship Rushdoony.

• Upvote 4
  • Thank You 1

1 hour ago, dripcurl said:

*gasp* they are allowing women with actual j*bs? For shame!!!!!!!

The SAHD thing only applies when convenient for the patriarch.

• Upvote 8
  • I Agree 2

51 minutes ago, RosyDaisy said:

Damn! My real life and FJ collide. I know Tim and Deborah Yarbrough. I don't know them very well though. I did get a sort of fundiesh vibe from them, but not the sort that would associate themselves with the Botkins or VF. Some of Tim's stuff can be found at: https://chalcedon.edu/resources#
He seems to worship Rushdoony.

Well , since the Chalcedon Foundation was founded by R. J. Rushdoony , this is not surprising .  https://www.splcenter.org/fighting-hate/intelligence-report/2006/chalcedon-foundation-leads-christian-reconstructionists-campaign-convert-conservative  

• Upvote 4
  • Love 1

WTH.  Sample profiles are provided in case people don't know how to write a paragraph describing themselves. Ok.   As soon as I saw one of the sample profiles was from a "spinster" I knew there would be snark gold in them thar hills.  https://10talents.co/demo/person/7

In answer to the question: "What are some things you intend to do in the future?"  The aged 42 year old "spinster" writes:

• Make important contributions regarding the education of women
  • Use my writing whether through poems, ballads, tracts, or books -- to address needs I see in all stratas of society
  • Try to redirect the appetite for junk romance novels by writing a compelling Christian novel about choosing a spouse

????

Edited by The Mother Dust
  • Upvote 3
  • Rufus Bless 3
  • Haha 9
  • Thank You 1
  • Love 1

3 hours ago, The Mother Dust said:
  • Try to redirect the appetite for junk romance novels by writing a compelling Christian novel about choosing a spouse

????

Better snap up the title Fifty Shades of Beige before the Maxwells do...

• Upvote 3
  • Haha 16
  • Love 2

Actually, I like the sample profiles quite a bit, they use historical persons such as Martin Luther’s wife Katharina. Unfortuantely, she‘s the only one I recognized - maybe someone with more knowledge of American history can help out?

There actually are some sample profiles of women, but obviously, in the olden days, everyone was white?!

The Website looks great and it‘s an interesting formate for a conference. I really wonder who came up with all of this, because the  speakers are the same old bunch, and I doubt they have changed their message. 

ETA: thanks @AmazonGrace, will look her up!

• Upvote 5

• Coconut Flan locked this topic