IGNORED

Botkin Alert. They are back on the conference circuit!

Palimpsest

3 hours ago, starfish said:

I have a secret hope that either or both Elizabeth or Anna Sofia will one day leave in the middle of the night on the back of 

unsuitable suitor's motorcycle 

If any of them do , this will be the sound track .  

• Upvote 2
  • Love 1

1 hour ago, older than allosaurs said:

I've been checking in on the Sprouls, but they are pretty quiet on the family front outside of some posts from Lisa about how constantly she prays for her daughters, plus a few godly warnings to LIARS.

Maybe her putative daughter who was posting here will make another appearance.

I was hoping for the same but it looks like for some reason that the daughter was banned here. Or maybe I'm not understanding what "Shunned" means.

Edited by Banyan
  • I Agree 1

20 hours ago, older than allosaurs said:

Ah that would be a good day at FJ. Could we have Bradrick! too?

Ooooh.  I'd almost forgotten about Bradrick!  Wonder what Kelly's up to, as well. 

• Upvote 4

15 hours ago, Howl said:

Ooooh.  I'd almost forgotten about Bradrick!  Wonder what Kelly's up to, as well. 

I wonder if she’s had any kids with her new husband. I kind of hope she hasn’t. 

• Upvote 1
  • I Agree 7

3 hours ago, JermajestyDuggar said:

I wonder if she’s had any kids with her new husband. I kind of hope she hasn’t.

Me too, but she's a very fertile woman and likely married a quiverfull man.  Actually, if she hasn't had more kids and isn't pregnant, he's not quiverfull.  Either that or he married a woman with six kids and decided immediately that 6 is plenty. 

• Upvote 2
  • I Agree 3

4 minutes ago, Howl said:

Me too, but she's a very fertile woman and likely married a quiverfull man.  Actually, if she hasn't had more kids and isn't pregnant, he's not quiverfull.  Either that or he married a woman with six kids and decided immediately that 6 is plenty. 

When Britney and Daniel Brooker go married, I hoped they wouldn’t start having a bunch of kids right away. Britney has said they won’t anytime soon. I think that’s definitely the best choice. When you are blending large families, it’s hard. Adding more babies into the mix makes it even harder. 

• I Agree 5

• 2 weeks later...

That’s just such a strange case; I really don’t know what to think about it. Except that…those poor kids. 

• I Agree 4

10 hours ago, AnnaSofia said:

For anyone else like me who was like, Melody Bannister? Who? What thread am I in? Is she a Botkin?

Here is a link to two pages back where she was discussed in December: 

The Botkin connection is that she used to criticize Geoff Botkin on her blog (but I think was more focused on critiquing Vision Forum).

At the time, several people suggested that her story deserves its own thread. I agree!

I also very much agree with those who are skeptical of her specific allegations (details at above link). I absolutely believe that there is abuse in many fundie home; no question. But her specifics are very like the Satanic-panic accusations that have long been discredited. The details just don’t add up logically. Is it possible that her extreme, dramatic abuse claims are a psychological stand-in for more “ordinary” abuse?

It’s a very sad story, regardless.

Edited by Petronella
  • Upvote 3
  • I Agree 1
  • Thank You 2

@Petronella, many thanks. I was just about to ask why this topic was in the Botkin thread. 

This is a tangly web for my mind to figure out. If she spoke out publicly X Duckbot and VF and was in a patriarchal home, then yes, my mind goes to the possibility that she’s ... shall we say mentally & emotionally overwhelmed. 

As with all these stories: those poor kids.

• Upvote 5

10 hours ago, Petronella said:

But her specifics are very like the Satanic-panic accusations that have long been discredited.

This is what I thought when I first read about her flight. OTOH, it wouldn't surprise me to learn that her ex-husband and family are major practitioners of fundie shite like "first time obedience" and "keeping sweet" that are enforced with physical abuse.

She comes a family (the Strackbeins) that fully endorsed this crap back in the VF days and still appear to be as fundie as they ever were.

• Upvote 1
  • Thank You 1

• 3 weeks later...

Any news of the compound Vis-a-vis the tornado? I heard Cookeville was affected and seemed to remember they are near there. 

1 hour ago, Laura2730 said:

For anybody who didn't manage to catch the Botkins' 'Return of the Daughters' before they removed it from Youtube, I found another website with the full movie (minus Lourdes bit which has been removed)- 

Thank you for this.

Interesting that they removed mention of Lourdes but have kept the Bradrick! mini-documentary on Peter's & Kelly's courtship and marriage.

And holy mackerel  -- that is one fucking wackaloon website!

• Upvote 4

55 minutes ago, hoipolloi said:

Thank you for this.

Interesting that they removed mention of Lourdes but have kept the Bradrick! mini-documentary on Peter's & Kelly's courtship and marriage.

And holy mackerel  -- that is one fucking wackaloon website!

I reckon that when they uploaded it to their site the Bradricks were still together- they probably don't realise they're now divorced 

• I Agree 2

2 hours ago, Laura2730 said:

For anybody who didn't manage to catch the Botkins' 'Return of the Daughters' before they removed it from Youtube, I found another website with the full movie (minus Lourdes bit which has been removed)- 

this made me go look up what Jasmine is up to now. She seems a LOT less fundie - we even have some of the same podcast interests!

• Upvote 3

7 minutes ago, closetcagebaby said:

this made me go look up what Jasmine is up to now. She seems a LOT less fundie - we even have some of the same podcast interests!

She's still fundie but has openly expressed regrets about that era and her role in it. 

• I Agree 2
  • Thank You 1

15 minutes ago, hoipolloi said:

She's still fundie but has openly expressed regrets about that era and her role in it. 

I think it’ll be interesting to see where she continues to go. One of the podcasts she listens to, Oh No Ross and Carrie, is hosted by ex-evangelical atheists who explore different fringe science and spirituality groups (including Christian ones). Also, she has a saved highlight on her Instagram page talking about “Titus women”/women working outside the home and how that idea isn’t based on any historical or biblical evidence. It’s pretty interesting. She’s obviously still very Christian but clearly has been continually evolving over the years. 

• Upvote 4

• 1 month later...

In case you've run through your Netflix or Hulu to-watch & binge lists, you can now see some of the all-stars who spoke at the 10 Talents Conference last fall:

• Upvote 3
  • Thank You 3

That microphone does not look phallic at all.

Geoff is a smooooth speaker; he's speaking to millennials, also dissing "turning over the government to women." 

Geoff is looking as healthy and robust as can be. 

• Upvote 4

21 minutes ago, Howl said:

Geoff is looking as healthy and robust as can be. 

My thoughts too. Whatever has been going on with him, he seems to have been good health for that conference.

• Upvote 3

Continuing to reflect on Geoff.  He has a polished appearance and presentation.  Nice suit, nice white shirt, no tie,  kinda urban Saturday preacher casual.  How the hell does he fit in, in rural Tennessee? 

However, taking a minute to check out the suit coat, it's incredibly long.  Oddly long.  And buttoned. 

• Upvote 2

Speaking of the Botkins... David has - once again - blessed us with a delightful ig post: 

And look who is commenting: Marscel Thomas, of that oh-so-funny-and-merry Thomas family. He thinks this 5 or 6 year old little girl is "way to cute" when she's shooting with a rifle.

WTF is wrong with these idiots?!

• Upvote 2
  • WTF 3

• Coconut Flan locked this topic