• Emerald
  • Chocolate
  • Charcoal
Coconut Flan

JRod 106: Praying for Plexit

Aggravated
pamplemousse
34 minutes ago, Melinda said:

Oh - You are talking about planes and physics! :D Thread was Hot so I was sure there is something bad happening here... 

Give the Rodriguii time.  Something bad, crazy, or otherwise mentionworthy (I know that's not a real word, but I'm saying for the purposes of this thread it is, so there) WILL happen soon enough.

As for physics, it is probably the one class I wish I'd taken in high school or college but didn't.  It would have been a lot more useful for me than choir or that English class about the short story, that's for sure.

• Upvote 6
  • Haha 1
  • I Agree 1

Enraged
feministxtian

Physics ranks right up there with Calculus and Dynamics for hell in school. Holy Rufus that shit is fucking HARD. The shittiest part? I never used a goddamn thing from any of those classes in my professional life. Semesters of blood, sweat, tears, nervous breakdowns, panic attacks and shitting bricks for NOTHING!!!!! 

• Upvote 10
  • Rufus Bless 2
  • I Agree 4
  • Thank You 1
  • Love 3

Sad
Gobsmacked

I was politely asked not to come back to Physics or Chemistry classes  half way through my second high school year (aged 12/13)!! 

A whole morning was spent with the head of second  year trying to re-organise my timetable!!!!!!!

I went on to pass both Biology and Human Biology at 'O' level though.  

Some brains are just not wired for certain subjects!!!!!!!!!

• Upvote 12
  • I Agree 11
  • Love 3

Spent
ViolaSebastian
1 hour ago, Okie_Bokie said:

So, thinking about what classes Timothy might have to take, does anyone know which aviation program he'll be starting?  FVTC has these options:

Aeronautics-Pilot Training (AAS)

Aeronautics-Professional Pilot (TD)

Aircraft Electronics (AAS)

Airframe & Powerplant Mechanics (TD)

https://www.fvtc.edu/programs/aviation

I'm not sure which program he's enrolled in, but potential classes he could be taking that would score a "10" on the "ViolaSebastian How Likely Will I Cry Taking This Course" Scale include: Aerodynamics, Aircraft/Electromechanical Circuits, Avionics Navigational System, Solid State 1 AND bonus, Solid State 2, The course programs themselves don't list any pre-requisites...but surely Tim would need some pre-requisites, right? I cannot imagine that he can do simple math, honestly.

• Upvote 18
  • Haha 3
  • Thank You 1
  • Love 1

Waffle Time
Beermeet

I don't understand this aviation program Tim is in. So, get him flying, then teach the physics and aircraft maintenance/mechanics?  Seems backwards.  If he was flying for fun, as my former boss did, fine, whatever.  But, Tim wants to make a preachin' career out of this.  So, besides the harder courses, where is the Bible studying coming in here?

Now, Moody seems to have their shit together, don't they?   Something is fishy here!  Seems like Tim couldn't cut it at Moody both financially and academically.  As per Rod usual, they glommed onto the easiest route they could find, the one with instant gratification.  

Spent
ViolaSebastian
4 minutes ago, Beermeet said:

I don't understand this aviation program Tim is in. So, get him flying, then teach the physics and aircraft maintenance/mechanics?  Seems backwards.  If he was flying for fun, as my former boss did, fine, whatever.  But, Tim wants to make a preachin' career out of this.  So, besides the harder courses, where is the Bible studying coming in here?

Now, Moody seems to have their shit together, don't they?   Something is fishy here!  Seems like Tim couldn't cut it at Moody both financially and academically.  As per Rod usual, they glommed onto the easiest route they could find, the one with instant gratification.  

The course program itself only requires that he have a student pilot license. I think he's working with Wings as Eagles for the missionary portion of all this. https://wyldewood.org/index.php/outreach/our-missionaries/wae

• Upvote 4
  • I Agree 1
  • Thank You 3

Wine time!
nokidsmom

I just checked out this school Tim is attending. It's not far from me, so OMG could a JRod sighting be in my future?

Not sure that if Tim couldn't cut it at Moody, that he will make it here.  I mean this is a real technical college not a school offering degrees in Missionary Aviation or Bible Studies in Piloting or whatever mix of "Bible" and "Aviation" one can come up with.  

Ash
1 hour ago, Dandruff said:

maintenance

turbulence

disaster

Mayday...

As for the required math, if I recall correctly (it's been a while), high school physics required some understanding of algebra. Do we think Tim ever got as far as algebra? I have my doubts.

Waffle Time
BlackberryGirl

BlackberryGrandkid1 will be a senior next fall. I was asking about her subjects, if she was taking Physics. She said, “no, physics is just math disguised as science!” (She’s completed all of her science and math requirements.)

i struggled terribly with chemistry in high school. When I finished the Regents exam, my teacher graded it then and there, came out into the hall and found me, grabbed me into his arms and danced me up and down the hall singing, “you passed, you passed, you passed!”

• Upvote 14
  • Love 19

SilverBeach
1 minute ago, BlackberryGirl said:

BlackberryGrandkid1 will be a senior next fall. I was asking about her subjects, if she was taking Physics. She said, “no, physics is just math disguised as science!” (She’s completed all of her science and math requirements.)

Blackberry Girl is 100% correct. It is advanced math disguised as science.

• Upvote 8
  • I Agree 7
  • Love 2

Naga Viper

Y'all are making me feel so much better about sucking at physics. I mean, almost everyone in my class struggled, but I was always annoyed that I breezed through bio and chem, yet couldn't grasp this. I chalked it up to the fact that I can visualize proteins and atoms interacting, but what does physics entail? Invisible forces. Uhhh...

Thank Rufus our teacher took mercy on us and had the year-end final be a reasonable multiple-choice.

Anyway. Is it too much to hope that Tim will be grounded or at least SEVERELY red-flagged once he inevitably bombs that class?

Happy
PennySycamore
Posted (edited)
2 hours ago, Okie_Bokie said:

He won't pass a physics class.  Zero chance, even with tutoring.  Heck, I have two graduate degrees and would never be able to pass a physics class, probably even at the high school level.  Timothy?  No freaking way he can pass.  None.

especially if it's calculus-based.   Some college physics classes are not, but even in those classes, knowledge of calculus can make things a whole lot easier for the student.  

@Ash brings up a good point.  Knowledge of algebra would be a must and  geometry and trig would be helpful, too.  As others have pointed out, there's a helluva lot of math in physics.    

Edited by PennySycamore

Pecansforeveryone

@PennySycamore, yes many forms of college level physics are calculus-based which is a beast above and beyond algebra, which I am only 150% sure Timothy has never come anywhere near. If the Duggars didn't get algebra per Joy's graduation video, there isn't a snowball's chance in hell any of the Rodriguez children did. 

Tired
Coconut Flan
2 hours ago, nokidsmom said:

I see being a Rod being a serious risk factor here.   

Different child, but the sisters' car accident from speeding and not paying attention on a road they know well doesn't give me nice warm thoughts of a Rodrigues offspring in an airplane.  

• Upvote 15
  • Rufus Bless 1
  • I Agree 27

wallysmommy

I managed to make it to a doctorate degree with no science since my sophomore year of high school.  I took psychology which was categorized as a science class at the community college level.  Went to a Catholic liberal arts college for a business degree, got an MBA, then a DBA.  I'm a whiz at math, and love organizational behavior theory.  Botony was the class that did me in.  Horrid teachers under a self-paced learning system.  Self-paced meant teachers didn't actively teach, but made up packets of work and handed them to you to do on your own.  Math was my favorite class because the teachers broke the school board rules and actively taught the classes.  I can see the Rodlets not knowing basic math because Jill is never going to actively teach them anything except screeching, grifting, and a horrid sense of fashion.

• Upvote 13
  • I Agree 5
  • Love 1

SilverBeach
22 minutes ago, PennySycamore said:

Some college physics classes are not

How can there be physics without calculus?

missy1228
6 minutes ago, wallysmommy said:

I managed to make it to a doctorate degree with no science since my sophomore year of high school. 

Degreed Law Professional here... I only took one math class in college and it was Statistics. I managed ok. But I planned my high school classes very carefully to ensure I would avoid physics, calculus, or anything of the sort. I struggled through chemistry and was miserable. So, my BA is in English Lit and Philosophy- which meant I only needed one math credit. Not sure why I ended up with Statistics now, it was so long ago. But the reading based degree I got was handy for law school! I've often told people I'm an attorney because I suck at math/science.

Pecansforeveryone

I have seen some physics classes that were said to be algebra-based. However, yes, @SilverBeach many physics classes are calculus-based. If you are planning on being an engineer or chemistry major you will be taking the calculus-based physics. 

OhNoNike
40 minutes ago, Naga Viper said:

Y'all are making me feel so much better about sucking at physics. I mean, almost everyone in my class struggled, but I was always annoyed that I breezed through bio and chem, yet couldn't grasp this. I chalked it up to the fact that I can visualize proteins and atoms interacting, but what does physics entail? Invisible forces. Uhhh...

Thank Rufus our teacher took mercy on us and had the year-end final be a reasonable multiple-choice.

Anyway. Is it too much to hope that Tim will be grounded or at least SEVERELY red-flagged once he inevitably bombs that class?

Seriously.  This is like the best therapy session this week. 15 years late, haha.  I even had an A in it but averaged probably 60% on exams.  I only got an A thanks to a curve and the fact the prof knew I was working really hard.  

I also breezed through bio and even took an advanced organic chemistry class by choice. 

SilverBeach
Posted (edited)
7 minutes ago, Pecansforeveryone said:

I have seen some physics classes that were said to be algebra-based. However, yes, @SilverBeach many physics classes are calculus-based.

My high school physics class surely was. I was not aware that physucs came in another flavor. My high school was strictly college prep and required three years of science and three years of math. 

Edited by SilverBeach

nausicaa
Posted (edited)
54 minutes ago, SilverBeach said:

Blackberry Girl is 100% correct. It is advanced math disguised as science.

Why did no one tell me this in high school??!!

I was scared off of chemistry (Which was stupid because what's "hard" is the memorization, which I'm great at. Also, I adored biology.) so I took a non-honors physics class junior year to focus on my other subjects. It was just another math class! The lies!

To bring this full Free Jinger circle, the teacher had to slow it down even more for the less academically inclined students in the class, to the point that we were just doing d= r*t where he gave us the values (whole, divisible numbers) for d and r. A senior was completely mystified and had no idea how on earth she could even begin to solve for t. He created a new problem where he gave the values for r and t and asked her to find d. Still total deer in the headlights. 

Anyhoo, she went on to find Jesus, get married at 20 without going to even community college or working a job, and now home schools all four of her kids.

I checked in recently on Facebook and she leads the math and science lessons for their Christian co-op. 😳

Edited by nausicaa
  • Upvote 1
  • Confused 1
  • Rufus Bless 1
  • WTF 19
  • Haha 8

Wine time!
precious blessing

Yo, I'm about to return to school to get my Bachelor's in Physics. I think I might be lucky in that I'm someone who easily understands the concepts. That considered, my math skills are atrocious... my point being, that part of physics is very difficult to me and I have to work my ass off.

I don't consider myself to be particularly smart, but I atleast learned the basics during highschool. Tim is so screwed. Even if math comes naturally to him, I think the concepts are going to blow his mind. He's about to learn that the glory of God isn't what makes planes fly.

I would be terrified to fly with a pilot who doesn't have a substantial understanding of physics.

Happy
PennySycamore
Posted (edited)
25 minutes ago, SilverBeach said:

How can there be physics without calculus?

I don't think calculus was required to take the college physics classes I took, but you sure did use it some.  

@precious blessing,  I think that is so cool that you are going to get your degree in physics!  One of my brothers is a retired high school physics teacher;  my other brother is retired from teaching math.  

Edited by PennySycamore

pook
25 minutes ago, missy1228 said:

Degreed Law Professional here... I only took one math class in college and it was Statistics. I managed ok. But I planned my high school classes very carefully to ensure I would avoid physics, calculus, or anything of the sort. I struggled through chemistry and was miserable. So, my BA is in English Lit and Philosophy- which meant I only needed one math credit. Not sure why I ended up with Statistics now, it was so long ago. But the reading based degree I got was handy for law school! I've often told people I'm an attorney because I suck at math/science.

Oh I forgot about Stats.  Did a victory lap of that one too, only in nursing school.

JanasTattooParlor
Posted (edited)

For my Bachelors in Math, I had to take a Physics with Calculus 1 class. They offered both a Physics with Algebra class and a Physics with Calculus 2 class as well. I’ve always loved math and physics and really enjoyed both Physics and Calculus in high school and college, but the college professor I had for Physics loved getting math majors in her class because she would pick on us for wanting answers to be precise and that’s not how physicists do things. She would round pi to 3 and then laugh at the row of math majors who were looking on in horror and say that making us uncomfortable gave her so much joy. I hated that woman. I worked my ass off to get an A just to spite her. 

Sorry for the rant! I hadn’t thought about that professor in a while and it brought up anger I didn’t realize I still had five years later 😅

Edited by JanasTattooParlor
Apology for rant.