IGNORED

Seewalds 42: Trying to Stay Relevant

Coconut Flan

On 7/22/2019 at 9:30 AM, Bobology said:

OK, OK... I'll start something. Do any of you remember the discussion here that must have been initiated by one of Jessa's instagram posts about Spurgeon and his bottle? Seems Jessa had some mommy-shamers who ridiculed Spurgeon's use of a bottle at his age. She said that Spurgeon still used it some (at that time) and enjoyed his kefir from the bottle.

I had never heard of kefir before. After thinking about it for weeks, and looking up 'kefir' and reading about it for weeks I finally ordered some real kefir grains from a goat lady in Wisconsin (or somewhere up there, sorry.)  I've been making it for my really old mom and myself since then. We do take occasional breaks, but have basically been drinking it since Oct '17. 

Since I began making and drinking it, I've had approximately 1/3 to 1/2 the number of cold/flu-type viruses that I normally had. I have a terrible immune system and I'm almost believing that regular kefir consumption with its probiotics is helping.

So I'll have to give Jessa and FJ a big thank you. In my little world, this makes Jessa still relevant. And I've wondered if Ben introduced Jessa to kefir, or if drinking kefir is a secret the Duggars have kept amongst themselves.

I've seen some insta pics with them drinking kombucha, too. Pretty sure the healthy/natural food thing was led up by Bin.

Fermented stuff does wonders for my tummy too--I'm on some meds that can mess with the GI tract so it's a gamechanger. Brewing your own kombucha is easy and fun!

• Upvote 4
  • Love 1

23 hours ago, HarleyQuinn said:

I always associated Kefir as being a very boujee drink.

I'm sure I would have thought the same if 1) I'd ever heard of kefir before that post, and 2) I'd ever heard of boujee before your post. I need to get out and mix more.

• Upvote 1
  • Haha 12

On 7/23/2019 at 6:07 AM, HarleyQuinn said:

I always associated Kefir as being a very boujee drink. :pb_lol:

I love your words :D

• Upvote 2
  • Haha 2
  • I Agree 1

32 minutes ago, nst said:

I love your words :D

You can also spell it as "bougie"

And here's a new slang word for all y'all: Bama.

• Upvote 3

2 hours ago, HereticHick said:

and what does that mean ?

I need to know

• Upvote 1

24 minutes ago, nst said:

and what does that mean ?

I need to know

Its short for "Alabama".  Meaning "unsophisticated" or "hick" 

Not sure if it is still current slang. I'm an old(ish) and it was very popular at my southern university back in the day.

• Upvote 2
  • Thank You 1

Does kefir help with bloat? My immune system is a-ok, but god I have wicked nasty bloat on some days.

• Upvote 1

4 hours ago, HereticHick said:

I'm not sure the world has reached a consensus on boujee/boujie/bougie. I see it spelled a different way all of the time.  I could've probably went with "rich people drink" but I've always been partial to the word "boujee" :pb_lol: I had never heard of Kefir until I heard Geofrey Zakarian talk about it on Chopped, so that's why I think that. 

• Upvote 7
  • Love 1

On ‎7‎/‎22‎/‎2019 at 2:31 PM, Melissa1977 said:

I think she's "lazy" (in the good sense), so she's not going to force Spurge to quit his bottle, the same way she didn't pottytrained him early and just waited to him being ready. But it doesn't equal to keep him a baby, in fact she made him memorise Biblical sentences and teached him letters when he was still a toddler.

There are a lot of parenting ways and of course Jessa is not perfect, but there is a relaxed vibe in her motherhood style. It will be good for her children. At least, while there aren't too many.

Jessa's relaxed parenting style (at least, what she shares with John Q Public) remind me of the way I was with my own son.  My son still wanted to have a bottle of milk as a pre-bedtime ritual long after he turned one.  I remember the pediatrician saying I should put a stop to that, but I ignored his advice because I could see that it was something comforting and calming for my son.  He would sit next to me on the living room couch, have his bottle and his favorite blanket and he'd also rub  my upper arm for some reason.  I guess my chubby arm felt good lol!  I always brushed his teeth before putting him to bed, and either through good genes, good luck, or a combination of both - he only had one tiny cavity (still has only one filled cavity and he's 21 now).  So I'm glad I didn't take away  his nighttime comfort bottle just because he turned one year old. 

It does seem to me that Jessa and Ben really enjoy their children for themselves, not just as arrows in a quiver.  Too back that I strongly disagree with their particular religious beliefs.  I hope they will at least end up fundie-lite.

• Upvote 9
  • Love 6

I'm a lot more relaxed as a parent than I thought I would be. It's amazing how much pressure from outside sources you can get to do this or that. I was getting blood drawn a couple of months ago and the nurse was quizzing me on whether my toddler was potty trained and was telling me to hurry up and get on it. Like, why did she care? Lol. 

Anyway, I had my oldest off bottles by 14m, and so that was my goal with my second. He's hitting 14m in a week, and I'm not feeling encouraged he's going to be ready to drop that last bedtime bottle by the end of this month. He might surprise me, but I don't feel like pushing him. I need him to get more interested in his sippy first, really. I don't want him to lose out on nutrients or get super dehydrated.

I don't feel pressure to rush my oldest out of diapers and I'm not super bothered to take away that last bottle from my littlest either right now. I think that's my luxury as SAHM for now, which is to just do what I want and what feels right. That's okay. There's more problematic things to snark on than someone being an over-chill parent. I've not seen Spurgeon photographed with that empty bottle in a while, so I assume he's probably given it up. One thing I've learned as a mom is that sometimes you have to let them tell you when they're ready to do things or let go of something. It isn't always up to me. Sure I could force an issue if it was a big ole deal, but in my case with my 14m old, it isn't. He doesn't even have two front teeth yet. 

As for Kefir, I'm super intrigued. My digestion has been a nightmare lately and someone was JUST suggesting I try probiotics. Off to google I go. 

• Upvote 12
  • Love 5

57 minutes ago, lizzybee said:

I don't feel pressure to rush my oldest out of diapers and I'm not super bothered to take away that last bottle from my littlest either right now. I think that's my luxury as SAHM for now, which is to just do what I want and what feels right. That's okay. There's more problematic things to snark on than someone being an over-chill parent. I've not seen Spurgeon photographed with that empty bottle in a while, so I assume he's probably given it up. One thing I've learned as a mom is that sometimes you have to let them tell you when they're ready to do things or let go of something. It isn't always up to me. Sure I could force an issue if it was a big ole deal, but in my case with my 14m old, it isn't. He doesn't even have two front teeth yet. 

There's no point pushing the issue. I found it was easier for THEM to tell you when they're ready. With that stuff I was a pretty chill mom too. I had bigger battles to fight (jumping off garage roof) than diapers or bottles. My daughter stripped her diaper off at about 2 and a half and that was that. #1 son....yeah, he was 3 before he was housebroken. #2 son was 3 1/2. Waiting them out made things much easier. Once they were ready it was literally overnight with no accidents whatsoever. Much easier than spending days taking them to and from the potty and cleaning up messes. Bottles? I think they were all 18 months to 2 years old mostly because I was blessed or cursed with strong willed kids and had to make it THEIR idea to give it up. Once they were ready, again they did their thing and boom! done. 

Don't let anyone else push you around with your kids. You know them best. There are better hills to die on than potty training and getting rid of bottles. 

• Upvote 12
  • Love 6

5 hours ago, HarleyQuinn said:

I'm not sure the world has reached a consensus on boujee/boujie/bougie. I see it spelled a different way all of the time.  I could've probably went with "rich people drink" but I've always been partial to the word "boujee" :pb_lol: I had never heard of Kefir until I heard Geofrey Zakarian talk about it on Chopped, so that's why I think that. 

doesn't sandra bullock use that word in several of her movies?  I love that word from now on. 

It's new Orleans ish 

did i mention my 50th birthday wish is to go to graceland :D

in 3 years  

• Upvote 3

3 hours ago, lizzybee said:

I'm a lot more relaxed as a parent than I thought I would be. It's amazing how much pressure from outside sources you can get to do this or that. I was getting blood drawn a couple of months ago and the nurse was quizzing me on whether my toddler was potty trained and was telling me to hurry up and get on it. Like, why did she care? Lol. 

Anyway, I had my oldest off bottles by 14m, and so that was my goal with my second. He's hitting 14m in a week, and I'm not feeling encouraged he's going to be ready to drop that last bedtime bottle by the end of this month. He might surprise me, but I don't feel like pushing him. I need him to get more interested in his sippy first, really. I don't want him to lose out on nutrients or get super dehydrated.

As for Kefir, I'm super intrigued. My digestion has been a nightmare lately and someone was JUST suggesting I try probiotics. Off to google I go. 

Also probiotics. You need both. Yes, trying to get and stay healthy is a FT job.

• Upvote 4

20 hours ago, AdamsBellybutton said:

Fermented stuff does wonders for my tummy too

Uh-oh-this is sounding too much like Lori Alexander! I just take a daily probiotic capsule, dead cultures work just as good in my gut. 

Re: Jessa and laziness, none of the females even worked in fast-food places to obtain any kind of work ethic like many teens do. No paid employment whatsoever, no having to do something or be somewhere when you don't want to. So yeah, any predisposition to laziness will positively blossom under these circumstances. 

Edited by SilverBeach
  • Upvote 7
  • Confused 1

ever since i got my new pvr which means new channels - i have been binge watching a different world - currently we are watching Dwayne crashing whitley's wedding to the senator....they used our word !!! 

who misses 1992 :D

Edited by nst
  • Upvote 3
  • Haha 5
  • Love 2

Speaking of slang... where are the millenials at? I've caught on to bae, boo and on fleek (just when it disappeared) but what does saying someone is 'basic' mean? And does thicc mean curvy? 

Not understanding slang makes me feel no longer young. Mid 30s seems to be when I've lost touch lol

• Upvote 2
  • Haha 12
  • I Agree 1

@PainfullyAware I'm a millenial. Not a native English speaker though XD But maybe I can still help ;)
As far as I know thicc is similar to curvy, though you can apply it to specific body parts in a way that I never saw curvy being used. For instance, a person can be curvy, but you wouldn't really say a person has curvy thighs. You can say a person has thicc thighs though (and that's usually meant as a compliment) and you can also say that a person is thicc (again, afaik, usually used as a compliment).
I find basic more difficult to describe. I know exactly how to use it, and I know how it is used and then what it refers to, but I can't really describe it. Maybe someone else can help with that one.?

• Upvote 3
  • Thank You 3

I've found 'Basic' to mean stereotypical/clone. Usually in regards to teenage white girls, for example "Basic white girl in her lululemon activewear, wearing ugg boots and drinking starbucks". Most influencers fall under that category, because they tend to all dress similar, follow the same diets and trends, etc. Does that help? Or does anyone have a better explanation? :)

Edited by DundeeUnFundie
  • Upvote 11
  • Haha 4
  • I Agree 3
  • Thank You 1

2 hours ago, Marly said:

@PainfullyAware I'm a millenial. Not a native English speaker though XD But maybe I can still help ;)
As far as I know thicc is similar to curvy, though you can apply it to specific body parts in a way that I never saw curvy being used. For instance, a person can be curvy, but you wouldn't really say a person has curvy thighs. You can say a person has thicc thighs though (and that's usually meant as a compliment) and you can also say that a person is thicc (again, afaik, usually used as a compliment).
I find basic more difficult to describe. I know exactly how to use it, and I know how it is used and then what it refers to, but I can't really describe it. Maybe someone else can help with that one.?

7 hours ago, PainfullyAware said:

Speaking of slang... where are the millenials at? I've caught on to bae, boo and on fleek (just when it disappeared) but what does saying someone is 'basic' mean? And does thicc mean curvy? 

Not understanding slang makes me feel no longer young. Mid 30s seems to be when I've lost touch lol

If I remember right... “thicc” originated in the black community as a body positive and empowering term for black women with curvy figures. I only learned this after a zoo used it to jokingly describe one of their animals and had to issue a legitimately horrified and embarrassed apology when told the origins of the term and why it wasn’t ok to use it in that way. 

“Basic” is pretty much what @DundeeUnFundiewrote - it’s a term that means someone is a conformist or stereotypical or follows popular trends to fit in. I proudly wear my basic white girl label when it comes to my love of fall and pumpkin everything, but I know a lot of people feel it’s a negative term meant to belittle women/girls and their interests. I don’t ever see it used as a descriptor for males, so I would say those people have a point.

• Upvote 4
  • Thank You 5
  • Love 1

I'm glad "on fleek" disappeared because I always thought it sounded really stupid. Though I suppose it's step up from Jill Dullard's forced slang - "hilar" "adorbz" etc

• Upvote 9
  • I Agree 2
  • Love 1

My third son was extremely attached to my boobs, (I had to go on a three day trip around age 2 to wean him properly), and then extremely attached to his bottles. I was lazy about it, (I was busy!) and let him continue till about age 4. Big mistake. By age 7, he required massive expensive dental surgery. All baby molars removed, crowns on adult teeth, and lots more besides. All because of the milk. Baby number 4 had her bottle binned before age 2.  

• Sad 6

2 hours ago, VelociRapture said:

If I remember right... “thicc” originated in the black community as a body positive and empowering term for black women with curvy figures. I only learned this after a zoo used it to jokingly describe one of their animals and had to issue a legitimately horrified and embarrassed apology when told the origins of the term and why it wasn’t ok to use it in that way. 

“Basic” is pretty much what @DundeeUnFundiewrote - it’s a term that means someone is a conformist or stereotypical or follows popular trends to fit in. I proudly wear my basic white girl label when it comes to my love of fall and pumpkin everything, but I know a lot of people feel it’s a negative term meant to belittle women/girls and their interests. I don’t ever see it used as a descriptor for males, so I would say those people have a point.

When I was in college we used basic to describe guys as well. “Basic” guys were the ones that were your stereotypical frat guys or country club guys. Sperrys, colored shorts, polos or button down shirts rolled to the elbow were the typical attire of those guys. They also loved bougie brands and Starbucks. 

I’m a young millennial, born in I think the last year they consider  to be part of the millennial generation, but I definitely consider myself a millennial and not a Gen Z. 

Edited by JanasTattooParlor
Added more.
  • Upvote 5
  • Thank You 1

My son turned 14 months a couple days ago and I decided to go cold turkey with the bottles. He can take it from sippy cups, he just likes to have the new-found toddler 'tude. Moma aint havin' it.

Wish me luck, folks!

• Upvote 9
  • Love 3

45 minutes ago, kachuu said:

My son turned 14 months a couple days ago and I decided to go cold turkey with the bottles. He can take it from sippy cups, he just likes to have the new-found toddler 'tude. Moma aint havin' it.

Wish me luck, folks!

Good luck! I found that teaching my daughter to use a straw really helped her drop her bottle. I started when she was around 9 months old and she was fine dropping it in favor of straw sippy cups when she hit her first birthday. She’s also a naturally super chill kid though, so I think that probably worked in my favor more than anything I actually did. ?

• Upvote 8

• HerNameIsBuffy locked this topic