IGNORED

Seewalds 42: Trying to Stay Relevant

Coconut Flan

On 10/3/2019 at 1:18 AM, SassyPants said:

Really...can you source your numbers cited? I have never heard those stats that you quote here and I cared for sick babies and toddlers for 35 years. Double in 3-4 months? And bottle fed even MORE?

I've had this advice too from HCPs in the UK and it panned out for my exclusively breastfed baby. She was 6lb 4 at birth and 12lb 7 at 4 months. So yeah her weight did double and it tracked on the percentile perfectly which would indicate it's a perfectly normal gain? She's a pretty skinny baby too, others in her 'cohort' are/were much chunkier!

I took it to mean Jessa and Ben covered, at minimum, his parent's airfare and hotels.

I'm sure they got the money from Counting On or Jessa's sponsored Instagram posts. Maybe one of their tabloid articles.

• Upvote 5
  • Confused 1
  • I Agree 3
  • Thank You 1

1 hour ago, SassyPants said:

I have heard doubled in 6 months and tripled in a year. I have never heard of doubled within 3 months time. 

It's probably more common with babies at lower birth weights. My daughter more than doubled at 4 months. She was 6lb 5oz at birth and just over 13lb at 4 months. 

• Upvote 1

4 hours ago, justmy2cents said:

It's probably more common with babies at lower birth weights. My daughter more than doubled at 4 months. She was 6lb 5oz at birth and just over 13lb at 4 months. 

A cousin in law had a preemie who was just under 5lbs at birth and was 15 and change at 3/4 months. 

My daughter was just over 8lbs at birth and 18.5lbs at 6 months. At a year she was 24.5lbs. 

• Upvote 1

21 minutes ago, Nargus said:

A cousin in law had a preemie who was just under 5lbs at birth and was 15 and change at 3/4 months. 

My daughter was just over 8lbs at birth and 18.5lbs at 6 months. At a year she was 24.5lbs. 

My daughter hit 24lb 5 oz at a year too. That’s what I heard, that the smaller ones gain more and bigger ones less to sort of even out by a year old.

23 hours ago, Snarkasarus Rex said:

That was very sweet of Ben and Jessa.

However, I'd be embarrassed as hell if my kids were pitching in for my vacations.  I see it as my job to do that for them.

Is it any wonder why they were so willing to marry Ben off at 17?

My husband and I just paid to bring his mom and step dad to Disney with us. I don’t feel they owed us any embarrassment. They watch our children regularly. We have the funds to do this for them and they don’t. That’s just how life works sometimes. In many ways our success is owed to them and their help with our children which allows us to work.

• Upvote 21
  • I Agree 2
  • Love 7

Yeah, my guess is that it was a surprise gift for Ben's parent's anniversary. If so, I think it's very nice of Jessa and Ben. I'd love to do that for my parents.

• Upvote 13
  • I Agree 4

On 11/3/2019 at 9:43 AM, indianabones said:

I took it to mean Jessa and Ben covered, at minimum, his parent's airfare and hotels.

I'm sure they got the money from Counting On or Jessa's sponsored Instagram posts. Maybe one of their tabloid articles.

Her hair is super-cute that length, and I swear she's wearing pants in the staircase pic!

(And mind still blown that I'm her age and she has grandkids...)

• Upvote 4
  • I Agree 1

2 hours ago, scoutsadie said:

Her hair is super-cute that length, and I swear she's wearing pants in the staircase pic!

Ben’s family has never been skirts only. They only did that for the show when Ben and Jessa were courting. More recently Guinn has been on the show wearing pants. Glad they’re not pretending anymore.

Edited by justmy2cents
  • Upvote 13
  • I Agree 3
  • Thank You 2

I think Ben’s mom is stunning. In that last photo she looks like an actress. His dad sort of gives me Steve Carell as Michael Scott vibes...

• Upvote 7
  • I Agree 5

1 hour ago, tabitha2 said:

Am I crazy but does anyone else see Joy in 30 years when they look at Ma Seewald? 

I’m fairly certain that Mrs Seewald is barely 40, so maybe 20 years?

Guinn is 45 and I agree she is very pretty. Her third daughter Michelle resembles her a lot. Horrible views, yada, yada, but she does appear to be a very caring and involved parent.

• Upvote 8

4 hours ago, scoutsadie said:

I always identify more with the kidults, since I'm still in the small kids "season of life". It's so weird to look at Ma Seewald and see someone who is approximately my age (37) but who is at such a different stage. She really looks so much younger here than she did on the show.

• Upvote 4

Did we already know that Ben didn't vote for Trump? I can't recall at this moment but I saw him reply to a tweet saying directly that he did not vote for him. I thought it was interesting. 

• Upvote 3

1 hour ago, rexasaurus_nirb said:

Did we already know that Ben didn't vote for Trump? I can't recall at this moment but I saw him reply to a tweet saying directly that he did not vote for him. I thought it was interesting. 

We did know that. I think he might also have said he didn’t vote for Hillary. We don’t know if he voted for a third-party candidate or a write-in, or if he didn’t cast a vote.

• Upvote 4
  • I Agree 1

No snark here--good for Ben for calling out Trump "spiritual advisor" Paula White and her bullshit Prosperity Gospel fellow travellers.

• Upvote 46
  • I Agree 2

Happy to see Ben calling out the prosperity gospel. I hope some of his opinions bleed into his extended family... (His opinions still suck, but at least he’s willing to go somewhat against the evangelical hive mind.)

• Upvote 29

13 hours ago, QuiverFullofBooks said:

We did know that. I think he might also have said he didn’t vote for Hillary. We don’t know if he voted for a third-party candidate or a write-in, or if he didn’t cast a vote.

I found the tweet. He did vote, we just don't know for whom

• Upvote 2
  • Thank You 5

• HerNameIsBuffy locked this topic