IGNORED

Seewalds 42: Trying to Stay Relevant

Coconut Flan

12 hours ago, SilverBeach said:

Uh-oh-this is sounding too much like Lori Alexander! I just take a daily probiotic capsule, dead cultures work just as good in my gut. 

Lori Alexander would literally implode in self-righteous rage if she ever met me ??

• Haha 10
  • Love 1

13 hours ago, PainfullyAware said:

Speaking of slang... where are the millenials at? I've caught on to bae, boo and on fleek (just when it disappeared) but what does saying someone is 'basic' mean? And does thicc mean curvy? 

Not understanding slang makes me feel no longer young. Mid 30s seems to be when I've lost touch lol

To the bolded - yep, that's about when it happened for me too.  LOL

• Upvote 2

Having a teenage daughter has really helped me keep up on the current slang. Other wise I'd be lost. 

• Upvote 5
  • I Agree 2

2 hours ago, kachuu said:

My son turned 14 months a couple days ago and I decided to go cold turkey with the bottles. He can take it from sippy cups, he just likes to have the new-found toddler 'tude. Moma aint havin' it.

Wish me luck, folks!

My son was probably over 2 when we ditched the night time bottle. He really liked that comfort and the way we nixed it - we went to Florida and told him bottles weren't allowed in Florida. And he bought it. 

He still likes to have a sippy cup (of water) on his nightstand now at age 6, but I'm okay with that. No problem with his teeth at all so far. 
I was also LAZY at potty training. Someone at daycare told me "If it's a lot of work? They're not ready." So we had little potties in the bathrooms, we offered him the chance to go when we did, we had a reward chart etc but didn't really push the issue. And when he turned four (he has some delays)  - he saw a friend pee outside and all bets were off - he was potty trained in a matter of two days.  And that was that. 

• Upvote 8
  • Haha 3
  • Love 2

I never really understood weaning off the breast and onto a bottle. I mean, obviously I can understand the various reasons people want or need to formula-feed, but in situations where women have been successfully breastfeeding for several months and their kid is on solid foods and they’re just feeling ready to wean off the boob - why offer a bottle at all instead of a cup? Or did Jessa not breastfeed?

Mine started taking a sippy cup of water when they started on solids, so when I stared giving cows milk it went straight into a cup too. They did all have a before-bed breastfeed up til somewhere between 18mths and 2yrs, though.

• Upvote 10
  • Love 1

19 hours ago, Meggo said:

And when he turned four (he has some delays)  - he saw a friend pee outside and all bets were off - he was potty trained in a matter of two days.  And that was that. 

Lol. We were taking a trip with my daughter and of course she waits until there's nothing around to say "potty". We ask her if she can wait a few minutes and then jokingly say "unless you want to go outside". She says very loudly "no! I'm not a dog!" 

• Upvote 1
  • Haha 11
  • Love 1

someone  else used our word - bourgie (spelling)

yes my parent's realtor was at the same drugstore that i was and he is SO THAT WORD and the cashier said to me 

that man is bourgie ....

he was buying hair dye :D

• Haha 2

21 hours ago, AdamsBellybutton said:

Lori Alexander would literally implode in self-righteous rage if she ever met me ??

I think this would apply if she met any of us FJ members, especially those of us who frequent her threads and talk about her like a dog (raises hand). 

Edited by SilverBeach
  • Haha 8

I was put on a (6 month) antibiotic and was trying to eat yogurt every day to counterbalance the effects.   But now I've switched to Kefir and I like it a lot.  I drink  4oz every morning (about 10 hours before the antibiotic so they don't cancel each other out).  I buy the unsweetened and it tastes like tangy plain greek yogurt to me, but in a drinkable consistency.  Its probably an acquired taste if you don't like plain yogurt.   They make flavored versions, but they have sugar.  I get the more Americanized cow milk kind.  I've never tried the goat milk kefir.  I wish I had given it to my kids before they got hooked on that sugary drinkable yogurt.  

• Upvote 6

On 7/25/2019 at 6:06 AM, VelociRapture said:

If I remember right... “thicc” originated in the black community as a body positive and empowering term for black women with curvy figures. I only learned this after a zoo used it to jokingly describe one of their animals and had to issue a legitimately horrified and embarrassed apology when told the origins of the term and why it wasn’t ok to use it in that way. 

@DundeeUnFundie

Thick is more indicative to (some) black beauty standards where being slim isn’t the goal. There’s also slim thick, which is where you’re small but have hella curves (especially hip/butt). Technically you can be thick at any size. 

Thicc is especially used for the butt/hip/thigh region. Basically the goal is to have a slim waist, wide hips, bigger butt and thighs that match (think pear shape). A decent amount of muscle is also appreciated.  

Men can also be thick AKA more stocky and sometimes muscular. 

Sometimes plus size women use thick, and sometimes they don’t. It’s kinda of like the term curvy. It’s a transient term that means different things to different people. 

• Upvote 3
  • Thank You 7

On 7/26/2019 at 5:15 AM, Smee said:

I never really understood weaning off the breast and onto a bottle. I mean, obviously I can understand the various reasons people want or need to formula-feed, but in situations where women have been successfully breastfeeding for several months and their kid is on solid foods and they’re just feeling ready to wean off the boob - why offer a bottle at all instead of a cup? Or did Jessa not breastfeed?

Mine started taking a sippy cup of water when they started on solids, so when I stared giving cows milk it went straight into a cup too. They did all have a before-bed breastfeed up til somewhere between 18mths and 2yrs, though.

IIRC Jessa said that she had to stop nursing because Spurge started refusing the breast. She seemed really sad and disappointed about that and said 10/10 she’d still be nursing him if he’d been willing. In that case she probably had to go to bottles before cups.

In the grander scheme though, I agree with you. I’m always team avoid introducing things you’ll have to take away later if it’s possible. 

• Upvote 8
  • I Agree 1

I have heard that pregnancy changes the flavor/taste of MBM. Since Jessa was pregnant again when Spurgeon was still young (barely 6 months, IIRC), chances are high that’s when she switched to a bottle. From what we’ve been shown, Jill breast feeds fairly long, and Jessa also nursed Henry for a longer amount of time. The other ladies haven’t really mentioned nursing at all. 

• Upvote 4

I haven't heard "fuckboy" used in a few years, but I think it's the one slang term that'll always be relevant for me

Edited by precious blessing
  • Upvote 2
  • Haha 9

The day WILL come when the Duggar TV machine - this income - no longer exists. What are any of them doing to prepare for that? Even Jill and her big mouth husband are still living on media created income; Derick may have gone outside the Duggar mold, but he didn't say or do anything they don't believe - he just said it without TV filter; he messed with their image and income. 

Eventually, they have to play out, right? I mean, even ER was done after 15 years. Doing the same thing over and over and over has to just be done, right? 

• Upvote 9

1 hour ago, fundiefan said:

The day WILL come when the Duggar TV machine - this income - no longer exists. What are any of them doing to prepare for that? Even Jill and her big mouth husband are still living on media created income; Derick may have gone outside the Duggar mold, but he didn't say or do anything they don't believe - he just said it without TV filter; he messed with their image and income. 

Eventually, they have to play out, right? I mean, even ER was done after 15 years. Doing the same thing over and over and over has to just be done, right? 

True, but the Dillard’s are at least working towards another income (i.e. law school) and quite a few of them have money wrapped up in real estate. I think JB isn’t dumb and he’s invested that money well. It will be a much bigger shock to the 2nd gen having to work for a living, and I think some will manage better than others. Jessa and Ben I do see struggling. 3 kids and no known skills or income outside TLC? Yeah, they’re going to learn the hard way that can’t last forever.

• Upvote 5
  • I Agree 2

Ben is mentioned by jessa occasionally as "going to work" have we every figured out what that means? I mean working as JBs errand boy or like a real job lol. I know he takes some college classes so maybe he has somewhat of another income? 

• Upvote 4

53 minutes ago, Daisy0322 said:

Ben is mentioned by jessa occasionally as "going to work" have we every figured out what that means? I mean working as JBs errand boy or like a real job lol. I know he takes some college classes so maybe he has somewhat of another income? 

He was taking classes at Moody’s Bible Institute and he had an internship of some sort through a Church - I think Harvard Baptist maybe? Otherwise we don’t know what he’s been up to because he doesn’t really do social media anymore and Jessa hasn’t mentioned anything. 

• Upvote 4
  • I Agree 1

On 7/26/2019 at 10:15 PM, Smee said:

My kids were all weaned from breast to bottle between 12-18 months. All were vegetarian. Being kids, they could be incredibly picky eaters or amazing ones at any given time. So we used formula to make sure they got all their nutritional needs meet even if they ate cheese toast for dinner for a week. ?

They all are great at snacking on fruit and veggies, but bananas and mandarins don’t have iron.... 

Edited by Mrs Ms
Extra info
  • Upvote 2

I don't think that we will ever know what Ben is doing. I feel like Jessa knew that we were making fun of Ben for cleaning JB's toilets and well...if he is doing anything with JB; she's not going to mention it. 

• Upvote 3

1 hour ago, mstee said:

I thought that he was the younger Duggar’s homeschool teacher? 

He could be, but who knows if that’s actually his job or simply manufactured for that episode.

• Upvote 5
  • I Agree 3

On 7/26/2019 at 6:15 AM, Smee said:

I don't know what real life has in store for me, but now that me and my husband are seriously talking about parenting, I've decided that I'm going bottlefeed my kids once they get teeth. It's going to be pumped mixed with formula from then on out.

I feel like I'm going against the grain of society, and like I'm going to be a bad mom for even suggesting it, but fuck it I don't care. I used to think breastfeeding was this magical sacred bond and that any woman who didn't want to do it was selfish, but now that I'm thinking about motherhood more seriously, I realize that the idea of someone with teeth feeding off of my tits freaks me out. Just no thank you, don't want. And after everything else that I'll gladly sacrifice to become a mom, including my own body and, from the sounds of it, my tenuous grasp on sanity, I think being selfish about my boobs, which I very much see as a sexual thing no matter how many times I hear "breastfeeding is their intended purpose," is justifable. 

Seriously, it's weird, but the idea of throwing up every day or giving birth doesn't freak me out nearly as much as breastfeeding past the point where I'm comfortable, even if it's what's "best for the baby." So it'll be breastfeeding when they're little babies, bottles once they get teeth, and sippy cups as toddlers. 

Sorry for the weird freakout, FJ, it's just that I've only ever told my husband this for fear of being called selfish. 

Edited by BernRul
  • Upvote 18
  • WTF 1
  • Love 7

30 minutes ago, BernRul said:

I don't know what real life has in store for me, but now that me and my husband are seriously talking about parenting, I've decided that I'm going bottlefeed my kids once they get teeth. It's going to be pumped mixed with formula from then on out.

I feel like I'm going against the grain of society, and like I'm going to be a bad mom for even suggesting it, but fuck it I don't care. I used to think breastfeeding was this magical sacred bond and that any woman who didn't want to do it was selfish, but now that I'm thinking about motherhood more seriously, I realize that the idea of someone with teeth feeding off of my tits freaks me out. Just no thank you, don't want. And after everything else that I'll gladly sacrifice to become a mom, including my own body and, from the sounds of it, my tenuous grasp on sanity, I think being selfish about my boobs, which I very much see as a sexual thing no matter how many times I hear "breastfeeding is their intended purpose," is justifable. 

Seriously, it's weird, but the idea of throwing up every day or giving birth doesn't freak me out nearly as much as breastfeeding past the point where I'm comfortable, even if it's what's "best for the baby." So it'll be breastfeeding when they're little babies, bottles once they get teeth, and sippy cups as toddlers. 

Sorry for the weird freakout, FJ, it's just that I've only ever told my husband this for fear of being called selfish. 

It’s not selfish. No one expects your husband to give up his body for months of pregnancy and then further months or years of breastfeeding. I freely admit my choice to breastfeed was in large part because I’m a lazy ass who hated the thought of washing & sterilising bottles and mixing formula and remembering to take it out with me. My comment was not about breastfeeding beyond the point of the mother’s comfort, more just confusion at why people don’t put formula into a sippy cup if they’re not giving it until a kid is sitting upright and eating solids and drinking water from a cup anyway. But I weaned my kids “late” so I have no real-life experience of how hard it might be to get enough milk in without bottles.

I liked BFing once I got past the initial six weeks or so, which I found hard and often painful even with correct latch. I found feeding at 9 months no different than feeding at 3 months, as far as comfort goes or feeling like it was weird, maybe because they grow teeth one or two at a time and mine learned not to bite before their teeth came in. They were feeding much faster and less frequently at that point too. But you might find that you hate BFing much sooner than teeth or you are comfortable later. There’s no right or wrong, as long as your kid is fed. Zsu Anderson was all “breastfeeding is the only godly way!!!” while half-starving her daughter with a tongue tie. Choosing to swap to formula at whatever point is right for you does not a bad mother make.

• Upvote 16
  • I Agree 2
  • Love 3

As long as a child is full and healthy and gaining weight fuck’ em all. It’s your body and your kid. Who’s it selfish too anyway?  The Kid don’t care!  

• Upvote 14
  • I Agree 2
  • Love 2

1 hour ago, tabitha2 said:

As long as a child is full and healthy and gaining weight fuck’ em all. It’s your body and your kid. Who’s it selfish too anyway?  The Kid don’t care!  

AMEN!!! I don't give a shit how you feed your kid...as long as they're full, healthy and reasonably happy. Hell, one of my kids was eating burgers at 6 months and I would have gladly gone off on anyone who said shit to me about it. The kid was fucking HUNGRY...it was either that or have him surgically attached to my boob. He got weaned before a year because of the appetite. I literally could not keep up...

So, anyone wanna talk shit...fuck 'em. It's YOUR kid not theirs. 

• Upvote 10
  • Haha 2
  • I Agree 1
  • Love 3

• HerNameIsBuffy locked this topic