IGNORED

Bates 27: I Want My Bates TV

Georgiana

If it were 10 years ago, I’d say they were on some Voddie Baucham shit where teen girls are encouraged to treat their male relatives like temporary husbands. But it’s 2019 so I’m willing to believe they are just freakazoids.

• Upvote 1

18 minutes ago, Italiangirl said:

I can't decide if the post deserves more a wtf or I agree reaction, I would have swear they was at the very least bff if not hs sweethearts! Yikes fundies really are weird 

Are trolling us all or they are just so clueless? I can't believe they don't realise how many of their pose come off as weird or totally inappropriate 

That picture was posted by his sister before he started seeing Katie. And she obviously put some time into that sign. Why not say, “Travis is #1” or “Go Travis!” Instead she chose to say “I love Travis” with a heart. It is something a gf would do.

• Upvote 5
  • I Agree 6

10 hours ago, JermajestyDuggar said:

Anyone who does not know these two would think they are high school sweethearts right? Nope. Brother and sister. Fundies are so weird. 

C4504D70-2692-4E71-A7AF-B54C317F16C8.jpeg

I did have a squiz through some pics and if you didn't know they were brother and sister.....

• I Agree 1

“Every closet needs a jean skirt” - Fashion advise followed by current Fundies everywhere and teen girls in 2005. 

7821C9A3-0B38-49F2-AFF6-65A7D5358EEC.jpeg

12 hours ago, JermajestyDuggar said:

Anyone who does not know these two would think they are high school sweethearts right? Nope. Brother and sister. Fundies are so weird. 

I agree, when Katie first tagged this guy in her insta stories a few weeks ago I requested to be his follower to creep. (Shameless I know) and when he accepted my request all of his sister posts seemed like GF posts so I wrote him off a friend in a relationship (with whom I now know is his sister) and promptly unfollowed him.

• Upvote 3
  • Downvote 1
  • Haha 7

Can I ask- what is wrong with the pose? Don’t you pose in a hug with your siblings? I have numerous photos with my brothers in close hugs- so does my husband. Same goes for hugging friends.

The poster is weird though, why not use “we” for the whole family? But I have learned that some families are using those terms more loosely so I think it’s a bit ridiculous but that’s it.

I think it’s nice that those children feel comfortable enough to built a loving relationship to their siblings no matter what sex (as long as it’s not similar to those creepy father-daughter dynamics we see). That’s definitely more healthy than projecting sexual undertones to sibling relationships, which some Fundies do.

And it’s not surprising at all. Siblings relationships seem to be an important thing for them. Even trying to raise them as “best friends” (which is so wrong in my opinion. Raise them so that they have a close and loving bond but let them choose their friends outside your family unit.). They use it as a way of isolating those children.

• Upvote 2

It's the sign that makes it look creepy to me. That sign is something a girl makes for her boyfriend, not a brother.

• Upvote 8
  • I Agree 12

Maybe it’s just my social circle, but siblings usually pose for pictures standing next to one another in a relaxed manner without touching or they will have an arm around the shoulders. It looks more buddy like when an arm is around the shoulder. When fundies pose with their arms around the waist or a girl puts her hand on her brother’s chest while leaning in, it looks like a couple posing. Fundie girls also like to grip their brother’s arm like they are holding on for dear life. Which is also strange. It is those little social norms that fundies don’t pick up on. Because they live so closed off from the mainstream culture.

• Upvote 8
  • I Agree 8
  • Love 1

6 hours ago, just_ordinary said:

Can I ask- what is wrong with the pose? Don’t you pose in a hug with your siblings? I have numerous photos with my brothers in close hugs- so does my husband. Same goes for hugging friends.

The poster is weird though, why not use “we” for the whole family? But I have learned that some families are using those terms more loosely so I think it’s a bit ridiculous but that’s it.

I think it’s nice that those children feel comfortable enough to built a loving relationship to their siblings no matter what sex (as long as it’s not similar to those creepy father-daughter dynamics we see). That’s definitely more healthy than projecting sexual undertones to sibling relationships, which some Fundies do.

And it’s not surprising at all. Siblings relationships seem to be an important thing for them. Even trying to raise them as “best friends” (which is so wrong in my opinion. Raise them so that they have a close and loving bond but let them choose their friends outside your family unit.). They use it as a way of isolating those children.

Note that this is coming from an only child, but the pose together with the poster is less sibling-like and more couplish. There is the way their bodies are turned toward each other and her little snuggle into his side that are not exactly what social norms would expect of a brother and sister. A hug is one thing. I have hugged family members (not as much lately since I'm not exactly on speaking terms with some), but I have never snuggled into the side of one of them. I don't even do that with friends I'm not related to or dating. One might squeeze in tight on a selfie or in a large group shot because of space, but that was hardly needed here. 

The whole system of beliefs and behaviors for the Bates, Duggars, and most of their friends seems to be based on how others might perceive them or how they might perceive others. Never mind if you are guilty of something. If someone (or a group of the right someones) sees you as guilty, then you are in the eyes of whatever. They wear skirts because Kelly Jo and others find it pleasing to the Lord. They study or follow certain things because that's what "gender" roles dictate. They have accountability partners/buddies/chaperones, etc. because that keeps thoughts pure and reputations in check.

I guess what I'm saying is that for people who are all about just the right image, they seem a bit tone deaf on some things that could be iffy in a relationship. I don't know how fundy his family is or him, but one would think they wouldn't want to portray either child as in a relationship and potentially scare away potential mates.  

• Upvote 5

20 minutes ago, rebeccawriter01 said:

Note that this is coming from an only child, but the pose together with the poster is less sibling-like and more couplish. There is the way their bodies are turned toward each other and her little snuggle into his side that are not exactly what social norms would expect of a brother and sister. A hug is one thing. I have hugged family members (not as much lately since I'm not exactly on speaking terms with some), but I have never snuggled into the side of one of them. I don't even do that with friends I'm not related to or dating. One might squeeze in tight on a selfie or in a large group shot because of space, but that was hardly needed here. 

I agree, and for me it's even weirder because they're not even allowed to touch unrelated members of the opposite sex.  So it's like they get in touches that would normally be reserved for a romantic partner with their sibling because it's all they can get.  That leans towards weird really fast, and I wouldn't be shocked if the parents actually encouraged it, since it's like they're learning to be physically intimate (not saying in a sexual way) with the opposite sex while staying "pure."  

• Upvote 10

I will pose with my brother with my arm around his waist. I can't reach his shoulders. I wouldn't make a sign that says I love brother! It would be more like go brother!

• Upvote 2
  • I Agree 2

1 hour ago, Kelsey said:

I will pose with my brother with my arm around his waist. I can't reach his shoulders. I wouldn't make a sign that says I love brother! It would be more like go brother!

I will just put my arm on someone’s back if I’m shorter than them.

Funny story time! 

My husband and I attended a big family reunion a few years ago. It was outdoors and plenty of people standing around talking. I came up behind my husband and put my arm around his waist. I stood there for like 3 seconds and when he talked I realized it was my brother in law. He thought I was my sister (his wife). When we realized what we had done we jumped back like the other was on fire! He has been with my sister since I was 12 and he’s basically my brother. We were both so grossed out. He still makes fun of me for hitting on him. BARF. 

• Haha 18
  • Love 1

I'm pretty sure if I were to find a single picture of my brother and I when we were in middle/high school, it would look as if there was a magnetic force repelling us away from each other :pb_lol:

There also may or may not be bunny ears above my head...

• Upvote 3
  • Haha 16
  • Love 2

Some of the last photos of my siblings and I posing together were taken at my wedding. We have one where all three of us are smiling and standing side by side without touching. The other one? I’m pretending to punch my brother, my brother is leaning back to avoid it, and my sister is just standing there looking shocked. The photos of me with each of them individually are pretty much the same. We aren’t a touchy-feely type of family though, so joking around like that feels more natural to us then hugging for photos would. 

• Upvote 6

7 hours ago, JermajestyDuggar said:

Funny story time! 

My husband and I attended a big family reunion a few years ago. It was outdoors and plenty of people standing around talking. I came up behind my husband and put my arm around his waist. I stood there for like 3 seconds and when he talked I realized it was my brother in law. He thought I was my sister (his wife). When we realized what we had done we jumped back like the other was on fire! He has been with my sister since I was 12 and he’s basically my brother. We were both so grossed out. He still makes fun of me for hitting on him. BARF. 

This reminds me of a time when I was little. My dad was a rather short man, mostly bald with a fringe. At a church function, I went up to a shortish, mostly bald man with a fringe and took his hand. Instead of my dad, he was a man in my church. Ironically, after my dad passed away, my mom married the guy's brother. Sadly, the guy had already passed away.

In the area I grew up, sports teams sold buttons (pins about 2 1/2 inches in diameter) with a photo of the athlete taken in his/her uniform, which were ordered by the player's family. I had already moved away when my brother was playing football, but I still asked my Mom to order a pin for me, which I wore every Friday during football season. I also wore his pin when he was coaching, as did both of my parents. I haven't known of any other area where they sell these buttons. When I was in school, it wasn't really done to wave a poster that says, "Go Seymour" or "I love you, Seymour". Somewhere, I also have my tennis buttons.

• Upvote 4
  • Love 1

17 minutes ago, Audrey2 said:

This reminds me of a time when I was little. My dad was a rather short man, mostly bald with a fringe. At a church function, I went up to a shortish, mostly bald man with a fringe and took his hand. Instead of my dad, he was a man in my church. Ironically, after my dad passed away, my mom married the guy's brother. Sadly, the guy had already passed away.

In the area I grew up, sports teams sold buttons (pins about 2 1/2 inches in diameter) with a photo of the athlete taken in his/her uniform, which were ordered by the player's family. I had already moved away when my brother was playing football, but I still asked my Mom to order a pin for me, which I wore every Friday during football season. I also wore his pin when he was coaching, as did both of my parents. I haven't known of any other area where they sell these buttons. When I was in school, it wasn't really done to wave a poster that says, "Go Seymour" or "I love you, Seymour". Somewhere, I also have my tennis buttons.

We had buttons! I think it was big in the 80s and early 90s. My mom gave me my cheerleading button from 4th grade. I only cheered because my best friend asked me to be on her squad with her. The button is right at the beginning of that truly awkward stage we all go through. I have it on display in my home so we can all have a laugh. My awkward stage lasted YEARS. It wasn’t just a stage. It was the whole damn theater! 

• Upvote 3
  • Haha 3

8 hours ago, JermajestyDuggar said:

My awkward stage lasted YEARS. It wasn’t just a stage. It was the whole damn theater! 

Yep.  My awkward stage was from about 7 to 25.  Wouldn't go back to my early 20s for anything. 

• Upvote 1
  • Love 1

7 hours ago, lumpentheologie said:

Yep.  My awkward stage was from about 7 to 25.  Wouldn't go back to my early 20s for anything. 

What y'all talking about??? I'm 55 and STILL in an awkward stage. It's been going about 55 years now. 

• Upvote 4
  • Haha 6
  • I Agree 7
  • Love 3

That picture reminds me of someone I know who posts pictures with her brother and captures them: "My boyfriend and I" and she's serious about it. She's 27 and her brother is 22. Creepy af.

• Disgust 1
  • WTF 12

On 8/22/2019 at 7:48 AM, HermioneSparrow said:

That picture reminds me of someone I know who posts pictures with her brother and captures them: "My boyfriend and I" and she's serious about it. She's 27 and her brother is 22. Creepy af.

Flowers in the Attic!

• Upvote 1
  • Haha 2
  • I Agree 2
  • Love 1

There was another "new" episode, this one about Michael and Brandon's wedding. Just more regurgitated, old footage. How UP calls this new is a mystery to me. 

• I Agree 1
  • Love 1

I mean... I consider my family very affectionate physically. We hug a lot when we greet each other or when we say goodbye. I have walked often arm in arm with my sister or Mom often. Yet I have never leaned my face towards my brother's neck or help them hips to hips. Like... that is a NOPE from me. Makes me feel weird just imagining it.

• Upvote 2
  • I Agree 2
  • Love 1

On 8/23/2019 at 2:58 PM, fluffernutter said:

There was another "new" episode, this one about Michael and Brandon's wedding. Just more regurgitated, old footage. How UP calls this new is a mystery to me. 

It makes me realize they could cut down the number of episodes by just doing specials that cram everything into them.

That said, I realized they cut out part of Erin's speech at the end. In the original, she congratulates Michael and Brandon and proceeds to wish 30 (or lots - I don't remember the exact number) of babies for them. This time they cut to the next person after she congratulates them. 

• Upvote 2
  • Love 1

1 hour ago, rebeccawriter01 said:

It makes me realize they could cut down the number of episodes by just doing specials that cram everything into them.

That said, I realized they cut out part of Erin's speech at the end. In the original, she congratulates Michael and Brandon and proceeds to wish 30 (or lots - I don't remember the exact number) of babies for them. This time they cut to the next person after she congratulates them. 

She told Michael and Brandon she hoped they had 30 babies? Oh my. Looking back that would make anyone cringe big time now that they’ve been so open about their struggles with infertility. 

Edited by JermajestyDuggar
  • Upvote 6
  • Love 1

15 hours ago, JermajestyDuggar said:

She told Michael and Brandon she hoped they had 30 babies? Oh my. Looking back that would make anyone cringe big time now that they’ve been so open about their struggles with infertility. 

In the couch interviews at the end of the wedding episode, she and Chad were one of the groups interviewed to send their best wishes or whatever. She said, "I hope all your dreams come true. I hope you have 30 kids." Cue nervous laugh and shock from Chad as Erin smiles. 

I give UP credit for cutting that part out of the newly packaged wedding episode that aired last week. With hindsight, it is a cruel comment though meant in jest at the time. 

• Upvote 4
  • Love 2

3 hours ago, rebeccawriter01 said:

In the couch interviews at the end of the wedding episode, she and Chad were one of the groups interviewed to send their best wishes or whatever. She said, "I hope all your dreams come true. I hope you have 30 kids." Cue nervous laugh and shock from Chad as Erin smiles. 

I give UP credit for cutting that part out of the newly packaged wedding episode that aired last week. With hindsight, it is a cruel comment though meant in jest at the time. 

I wouldn’t be surprised if Erin was glad or relieved that comment was cut. I’m wary of her because she seems to have a very similar personality to Kelly in my opinion, but I don’t think she ever imagined how cruel this comment would eventually seem when she actually said it. 

• Upvote 6

• HerNameIsBuffy locked this topic