IGNORED

Maxwell 32: Wearing Your Vest in 15 Minute Increments

Coconut Flan

11 hours ago, Eclipse said:

Teri wrote this particular gem of a blog post.

I'm surprised that Teri didn't mention how they scheduled this into their day. How will I know when I can do it? Does it take more than 15 minutes? How many 15 minute intervals will I need to find?

My bad, but I guess Sarah is the apple that doesn't fall far from the tree! Thanks for the correction. All credit should go where it's due!

• Upvote 5

10 hours ago, WineGlass said:

I was just poking around the Tits2 blog because reasons, and have 2 comments:

Their schedules that are provided for download (so we may emulate their godliness) show that they in fact have thirty minute blocks not fifteen, so cut them some slack guys; and

Their statement of faith puts “bible” before “god” and I just find that... telling!

Trust they have mentioned their 15-minute blocks plenty.  I'm sure to get to the ultra godly 15-minute scheduling you have to buy their books and chore packs.  The stuff they have for free is bearly above heathen levels of organization. *clutches pearls* 

• Upvote 4
  • Haha 5
  • I Agree 1

When I was teaching my kids how to cook, one maxim was "soup cannot fail". I now retract that statement.

We put most of what we found in a soup that Anna, our master soup maker produced. This included:
leftover cut up pork chops
steak chunks
leftover stir fry
pork broth
beef broth
onion scraps
frozen chopped celery
a bag of stew vegetables
tomato sauce

There is no way to get anything palatable from that assortment. It sounds like they shove all of their leftovers into the freezer, instead of what normal people do which is the first person to fix his/her lunch gets dibs on the leftovers from the previous night.

Edited by Black Aliss
  • Upvote 14
  • I Agree 2

The Maxwells are so ignorant of what their lifestyle says to the audience. They’re thinking “let’s show extremely frugal meal planning to inspire and relate to women in the trenches!” when most potential leghumpers are thinking if those 3 adult girls had jobs, even if just part time of whatever degree, they would not have to survive on onion scraps and freezer burned pork. Also, this makes business look very bad - people are not going to believe your lifestyle is viable. The ONLY times people are impressed by freezer/leftover cooking like this, whether it’s by a homeschool family or heathen person, are when the meals seem too tasty to be freezer cooking. And, most of the freezer cooking I have seen (mostly from homeschooling moms) have included a few fresh and/or non perishable ingredients to make it worthwhile. If these girls can pull off a truly remarkable meal strictly from frozen leftovers, then I would be impressed.

• Upvote 13
  • I Agree 3

1 hour ago, dripcurl said:

If these girls can pull off a truly remarkable meal strictly from frozen leftovers, then I would be impressed.

So, just to be sure, you *don’t* think 4- day-old festering pork casserole is remarkable? :) 

• Upvote 4
  • Haha 15

I'd be impressed if the Maxwell daughters started making meals that were actually nutritious and tasted good, like Chelsy Maxwells stuffed mushrooms. Yes, I will be the elephant in the room who says they Chelsy's mushrooms. They were very good. The Maxwells can learn a thing or two from her. It will save them from burritos and less than appetizing left over creations. 

• Upvote 9
  • I Agree 1

On 9/8/2019 at 12:30 AM, NancyDrewFan1989 said:

@anjulibai For some reason the Maxwells don't post much on Joseph and Elissa. There is some speculation as to why. One of them being that they don't live on the Maxwell compound, another one being Elissa didn't confirm fully to the Maxwell way of life. Some people think that Joseph and Elissa just asked not to be blogged about. 

That's not really the current speculation. Joseph has made SwiftOtter successful in the secular world and he does not want to be featured on the blog. I am fairly certain Elissa is and always has been 100% fundie. And they are nearby just like all the others.

• Upvote 11
  • I Agree 1

@anjulibai I think Elissa has always been fundie was well. But, unlike the Maxwell daughters it looks like she came from a family where the women seem depressed all the time. To me, her family seems more mainstream fundie, so by not confirming to the Maxwells way she brings in the dangers of the outside world and *gasp* fun.

• Upvote 5

In the interest of full disclosure, as of today I have 12 meals for two in the freezer, not counting spaghetti sauce (most of which I pressure can but the pesto doesn't can well so I freeze it). I find I have more success in using the garden surplus if I cook it up into actual soups/stews/whatevers than if I just blanch and freeze the vegetables. Plus I can make gallons of rich stock from chicken and ham bones I've stashed in the freezer and then use those stocks as the basis for the soups I make with the garden vegetables.  I just find that in the dark days of winter, especially if I've been out playing in the snow all day, or ferrying the spouse around to doctor appointments, a lot of times I don't really feel like cooking dinner. It's nice to have a stash of home-cooked foods, instead of relying solely on boxed mac and cheese, or eggs. We never have things like leftover cooked pork chops because I only cook as many as there are butts in seats around the dining room table.

Tomorrow is freezer-defrosting day but I will be very surprised if either of my two freezers holds any surprises or forgotten foods.

ETA: My parents came of age right at the start of the Great Depression so they really knew how to pinch pennies until the coins cried out for mercy. They were dirt poor for most of their pre-retirement lives, but I never realized it because we lived pretty well, albeit within our means.

Edited by Black Aliss
  • Upvote 16
  • Love 6

12 hours ago, Black Aliss said:

When I was teaching my kids how to cook, one maxim was "soup cannot fail". I now retract that statement.

There is no way to get anything palatable from that assortment. It sounds like they shove all of their leftovers into the freezer, instead of what normal people do which is the first person to fix his/her lunch gets dibs on the leftovers from the previous night.

Exactly. And even in the case they all eat together and there are no separate meals, if they have pork leftovers on Monday, then can just use it to prepare rice or soup on Tuesday. No need to freeze every.single.leftover. 

For me, as a working woman but also homemaker, their freeze was a mess and showed very bad skills. I think Maxwells are very clean but an absolute fail regarding cooking, to the point that their health may be damaged. Some of their leftovers recipes (as the famous 4 days casserole) are not safe. Other recipes have too much salt. And they lack fresh vegetables all the time. Their 7 layer salad has more mayonaise than lettuce!!!

Their eating style is very strange, because they seem to love a healthy lifestyle (they walk, hike, work out, kids have bikes etc) so I wonder why aren't they eating lots of veggies. 

• Upvote 12
  • I Agree 4

Well I guess our hope for Melanie and Nathan's kids having a freer life than the Nathan's generation is out the window.

When Melanie comes to a page in one of their workbooks that doesn't meet the Maxwell standards, well, she just rips that page out!  Sounds so familiar...

• Upvote 3
  • Sad 6
  • WTF 5
  • Love 1

24 minutes ago, kpmom said:

When Melanie comes to a page in one of their workbooks that doesn't meet the Maxwell standards, well, she just rips that page out!  Sounds so familiar...

If Melanie didn't she'd be out of all the free babysitting and house cleaning services that Anna & Mary provide for them.  

• Upvote 8
  • Sad 3
  • I Agree 4
  • Love 1

7 hours ago, Black Aliss said:

In the interest of full disclosure, as of today I have 12 meals for two in the freezer, not counting spaghetti sauce (most of which I pressure can but the pesto doesn't can well so I freeze it). I find I have more success in using the garden surplus if I cook it up into actual soups/stews/whatevers than if I just blanch and freeze the vegetables. Plus I can make gallons of rich stock from chicken and ham bones I've stashed in the freezer and then use those stocks as the basis for the soups I make with the garden vegetables.  I just find that in the dark days of winter, especially if I've been out playing in the snow all day, or ferrying the spouse around to doctor appointments, a lot of times I don't really feel like cooking dinner. It's nice to have a stash of home-cooked foods, instead of relying solely on boxed mac and cheese, or eggs. We never have things like leftover cooked pork chops because I only cook as many as there are butts in seats around the dining room table.

Tomorrow is freezer-defrosting day but I will be very surprised if either of my two freezers holds any surprises or forgotten foods.

ETA: My parents came of age right at the start of the Great Depression so they really knew how to pinch pennies until the coins cried out for mercy. They were dirt poor for most of their pre-retirement lives, but I never realized it because we lived pretty well, albeit within our means.

My Polish immigrant grandparents were amazing in how they could stretch their food resources to feed large families.  Nothing was ever wasted and everything tasted GOOD!  Really showed me how to live frugally but well. Nothing pleases me more than making large batches of soup, chili, stew, noodle casseroles or stuffed cabbage rolls and freezing portions for later.  

• Upvote 8
  • Love 1

Hold up, hold up.  I zoomed in on this page and I see a purple cat.  Did God make cats purple?  I think some magic or animal abuse was involved there. 

Also, super irresponsible for promoting we have endangered snakes as pets.  That is very clearly a Roatan coral snake there.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Roatan_coral_

Spoiler

5C6B31EF-8AF1-449C-B891-EE331E9255AF.thumb.png.571ad3395f9f3c5c10a6c11e803e0169.png

Edited by OhNoNike
  • Upvote 9
  • Haha 1

There's no room in the schedule to clean and cut veggies. The holy schedule comes from Teri's overwhelmed days, so it's made as streamlines as possible

• Upvote 7
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, OhNoNike said:

Hold up, hold up.  I zoomed in on this page and I see a purple cat.  Did God make cats purple?  I think some magic or animal abuse was involved there. 

Also, super irresponsible for promoting we have endangered snakes as pets.  That is very clearly a Roatan coral snake there.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Roatan_coral_

Reveal hidden contents

5C6B31EF-8AF1-449C-B891-EE331E9255AF.thumb.png.571ad3395f9f3c5c10a6c11e803e0169.png

I see nail polish as well.  I thought that would be forbidden in Maxhell.

• Upvote 9
  • Haha 1

Good grief: no magic or scary stories allowed? I'd rarely read a book if these subjects were banned since I love horror/science fiction and fantasy. What could I have done to occupy "filler time" ? Cleaning out the freezer? Studying up on how to make fried rice? 

Edited by browngrl
fixed "donut" to done also: thanks auto correct, now I want donuts
  • Upvote 9
  • Haha 3

1 hour ago, browngrl said:

Good grief: no magic or scary stories allowed? I'd rarely read a book if these subjects were banned since I love horror/science fiction and fantasy. What could I have done to occupy "filler time" ? Cleaning out the freezer? Studying up on how to make fried rice? 

Actually she says “magic or scary themes”, not even scary stories. 

If there’s anything that may have “scary themes”, it’s this one. (Sarcasm)

Spoiler

4C483DC3-444C-4006-AE6D-2F725D51CAA9.thumb.png.bd09109f23517a6656a64074653ecd3a.png

Edit - One more thing.  It says ages 7-8.  My oldest is 8 and is doing multiplication.  That’s on par with what my 4 year old does.  I’m not saying every 4 year old should be doing that, but surely it’s a bit juvenile for 8 year olds?  (How many animals have 4 legs?)

Edited by OhNoNike
  • Upvote 6

Sarah, worksheets like that are "busy work" not "extracurricular" (and that is a single word, not two). 

You all aren't allowed to do real extracurricular activities. 

• Upvote 9
  • Haha 1
  • I Agree 7

14 hours ago, Black Aliss said:

Blog post with photographs or it didn't happen

• Upvote 2
  • Haha 9

5 minutes ago, HereticHick said:

Blog post with photographs or it didn't happen

I laughed, but I really would love to see @Black Aliss do a blog post about this! It would far, far more interesting, educational, and entertaining than anything the Maxwells have ever posted. 

• Upvote 3
  • I Agree 2
  • Thank You 2

7 minutes ago, Loveday said:

I laughed, but I really would love to see @Black Aliss do a blog post about this! It would far, far more interesting, educational, and entertaining than anything the Maxwells have ever posted. 

Well, now I might not be able to do it until I pray for guidance, because it turns out I've been doing it all wrong* Also the weather is not favorable.

*Unless this is John Hugh commenting 

HMH: Teri, couple questions: what kind of containers do you use for all those little extra things? And, how do you label them? My freezers could use some help!

TM: We use a variety of containers. We have a supply of rubbermaid containers and much less-expensive, disposable-type containers. The disposable-type seem to last a long time here so we keep using them until something breaks on them. For labeling those containers, we just cut a square from a scrap piece of paper, write the contents on it, and tape it to the top. We also like zip loc bags, and then we label with a black sharpie pen, unless it is evident what the bag holds.

HMH: Thank you, Teri! I love the idea of taping a piece of paper to the lid! That never crossed my mind.

I mostly use 1 qt glass-lock containers** and/or vacuum sealed (Food Saver) bags. I put a piece of masking tape over the lid of the glass container and write on it with, yes, a Sharpie. After I seal the Food Saver bags there's this 2-3" of extra bag above the new seam, so I slip my label in there and seal that in so it can't get lost.

**pro-tip: if you have an H-mart or other Asian supermarket in your area, they sell the glass-lock containers individually, at a lower price than other housewares stores that make you buy a set of various sized containers.

• Upvote 8

The Maxwells can shove magic or scary themes up their asses. I hope one of those kids discovers Harry Potter and LOVES it! How would a kid develop a love for reading with crap like Auntie Sarah writes?

• Upvote 8
  • I Agree 6
  • Love 2

• Coconut Flan locked this topic