IGNORED

Maxwell 32: Wearing Your Vest in 15 Minute Increments

Coconut Flan

"Sold out to the Lord Jesus" - I sense a new post count heading in our near future...

?

• Upvote 16
  • I Agree 6
  • Love 1

On 8/19/2019 at 5:16 PM, Howl said:

Whatever. It just seems an odd thing to include on their web site; 9 to 5 is not an arduous schedule. 

No it isn't. 9 to 5 schedules typically include an hour lunch so it's actually a seven hour workday.  Not arduous at all. 

• Upvote 5

Wow ... 9-5 with a paid hour lunch. I have never in all my working life had a paid lunch, not even in Fortune 500 corporations.  It's always been 8-5 or 8:30-5 with 30 minutes for lunch. 

In actuality it's usually working with one hand while eating with the other as most of my jobs have scheduled phone meetings during "lunch."

Even when I've been a contractor the companies made you work a 9-hour day, but paid for 8 whether or not you took a lunch break.

• Upvote 12

1 hour ago, FloraKitty35 said:

"Mary is sold out to the Lord Jesus..."  Sarah, what, huh?? :confusion-scratchheadblue:

I just came here to post this very thing! Do fundies even know what they're talking about anymore? 

Jesus' Girl,

Eternal Blue

• Upvote 5
  • Haha 2

Looks like Teri has a good daypack with a padded hip belt, which would be good for her back. Except she wears the hip belt cinched up around her waist, which is definitely not good for her back. Would it be too defrauding if she wore it properly?

• Upvote 3

1 hour ago, Red Hair, Black Dress said:

Wow ... 9-5 with a paid hour lunch. I have never in all my working life had a paid lunch, not even in Fortune 500 corporations. 

Lunch periods are unpaid, in the case of a 9-5 eight hour day with an hour lunch, the paid work day is 7 hours, resulting in a 35 hour work week. That's considered full time for some organizations. Other organizations consider 37.5 hours full time, and my present employer, the federal government, still defines full time as 40 hours. I have had hour lunches, forty-five minute lunches, and thirty minute lunches, all unpaid, in my forty two years of full time employment. Never meant to imply that lunch times are paid.

• Upvote 8

3 hours ago, sparkles said:

I think Sarah is so bored she doesn’t even try anymore. It’s just all word salad these days. 

@FloraKitty35 This is late 90s/early 00s evangelical lingo. Still, Sarah using it is unnatural.

• Upvote 5

6 hours ago, SilverBeach said:

Lunch periods are unpaid, in the case of a 9-5 eight hour day with an hour lunch, the paid work day is 7 hours, resulting in a 35 hour work week. That's considered full time for some organizations. Other organizations consider 37.5 hours full time, and my present employer, the federal government, still defines full time as 40 hours. I have had hour lunches, forty-five minute lunches, and thirty minute lunches, all unpaid, in my forty two years of full time employment. Never meant to imply that lunch times are paid.

I had mentioned paid lunches. While it’s technically NOT a paid lunch—just an adjustment to the typical 40-hour week—it’s how we referred to it if you worked an 8-hour day (always 9-5 in my case). Employment agencies and HR people I interviewed with always called it a paid lunch as well. Two of the Fortune 100 companies I worked for had a 35-hour week and one (a major publishing/media conglomerate) had 32.5-hour week. (Any overtime also began at 32.5 hours—benefits-wise, this was the best company I ever worked for. They covered EVERYTHING and then some and the perks were insane.) That 1-1/2 hour lunch totally threw me and I’m sure they thought I was an idiot because it took me ages to realize that they really meant a full 1-1/2 hour break, not that you had a 1-1/2 hour window in which to take a 1/2 hour break. Honestly, it was too much. I really didn’t want to spend it at my desk (or sitting in the restaurant-quality cafeteria either) so I spent it shopping my way through midtown Manhattan, running up debt that would make Steve even more smugly judgmental than he already is.

My current job (17 years and counting) is a 40-hour week with a half hour break that I rarely take. And if I don’t take it, it’s unpaid and it doesn’t count as overtime. Mr. Sparkles works 37.75, from 7:30-4, with a 45 minute lunch and 2 15-minutes breaks.

Edited by sparkles
  • Upvote 3

I used to work 8-4 with two paid 15 minute breaks and a paid hour-long lunch. It was glorious. God bless unions.

• Upvote 9
  • I Agree 1
  • Love 2

9 hours ago, Markie said:

I loved Brazil! If you have a chance, Praia de Lopes Mendes on Ilha Grande (Rio State) is gorgeous. I also loved the town of Paratay. 

9745F7E6-7B8B-4198-A9FC-4056C6213B73.jpeg

Thank you for the suggestion! I'll look for it :)

• Upvote 3

8 hours ago, dripcurl said:

@FloraKitty35 This is late 90s/early 00s evangelical lingo. Still, Sarah using it is unnatural.

I have never, no have I never, heard this lingo: “sold out on the Lord.” 

What a confounding, “stop you in your tracks,” inelegant, inarticulate expression. 

“Sold out” strongly resembles “sell out,” which as adjective or noun is entirely unflattering. 

Well. I guess it worked for somebody, some time. And that Poor Sarah uses it as a nod to other Christians who’ve used it around her. 

(Look, people: Mary DOES get out of the house and interacts with children who aren’t Maxwells!  It’s morning in Maxwell-land!) 

• Upvote 7
  • I Agree 2

Another Maxwell hipster-speak attempt fail: "Sold out on the Lord.”  They do not seem to understand that "selling out" isn't a good thing!

And, why does Mary seem about 12?

• Upvote 9
  • Love 2

2 hours ago, MamaJunebug said:

What a confounding, “stop you in your tracks,” inelegant, inarticulate expression. 

“Sold out” strongly resembles “sell out,” which as adjective or noun is entirely unflattering. 

Yeah, I have never heard it either, and the phrase using the past tense of "selling out" would come across to me as negative.  It reminds me of someone I knew who used the word "opportunist" to describe himself because he thought of the word "opportunity" and that was in his view a good thing, missing what the real definition of the word actually meant.

Regarding getting up at 2 AM to hike, if they eliminated the bible time, they might get in a little more sleep or start the hike earlier.   It is true that thunderstorms can start firing up around noon and you want to get below the timberline by then.    Take it from someone who has been in the Rockies during a storm.  It's very disconcerting to see lighting BELOW you.  

Honestly I would be more worried about making the summit with enough time before the storms than the Bible time.

• Upvote 10

6 hours ago, singsingsing said:

I used to work 8-4 with two paid 15 minute breaks and a paid hour-long lunch. It was glorious. God bless unions.

My federal employment is unionized, still no paid lunches. The two 15 minute breaks are paid, but few take them. It's an unofficial practice to add that time to a thirty minute lunch to get an hour total. 

3 hours ago, MamaJunebug said:

I've heard it a lot. It means totally dedicated, no doubts, all-in. I don't care for the phrase or other religious jargon.

Edited by SilverBeach
  • Upvote 6

“Sold out for Jesus” is something I’ve heard but only in charismatic circles. Interesting that a Maxwell would use it. 

• Upvote 7
  • I Agree 4

My husband just had shoulder surgery yesterday so I made his lunch today. Might be the drugs talking, because he preferred to have his sandwich without the paper. 

I will add that anyone can fulfill his manly desires, but only I can make him a riotous sandwich 

99D1CB0F-7E30-4B10-9337-85AE0B805735.jpeg

• Upvote 1
  • Haha 27
  • Love 3

I wonder if Goofy Anna was contemplating whether or not the grave occupant knew where they were going when they died.

IMG_0021-300x400.jpg

Edited by SPHASH
Spelling
  • Upvote 2
  • Haha 11
  • I Agree 2
  • Thank You 1

24 minutes ago, SPHASH said:

I wonder if Goofy Anna was contemplating whether or not the grave occupant knew where they were going when they died.

I think that's all they're allowed to contemplate in Maxhell.

• Upvote 12
  • Love 1

1 hour ago, SPHASH said:

IMG_0021-300x400.jpg

Or if she thought the occupant had a better deal..... [hope not]

• Upvote 8

7 hours ago, SilverBeach said:

My federal employment is unionized, still no paid lunches. The two 15 minute breaks are paid, but few take them. It's an unofficial practice to add that time to a thirty minute lunch to get an hour total. 

This is exactly the same at my agency.

Having said that, federal employment seems to be totally different from most civilian jobs so it’s almost apples and oranges. 

My favorite thing ever is my husband asking me what “I got” with regards to maternity leave when I was pregnant.  I said, “I get to take the leave I have saved myself.”

• Upvote 5

My first job after college was at a long term care facility for mentally ill adults. My hours were 8-4 with a paid thirty-minute lunch, which was almost always eaten at my desk while doing paperwork. Occasionally, if our bitchy administrator/boss invited (ordered) all the department heads to go out for lunch with her, we would take 60-90 minutes. A really neat part about this job was that we could eat what the kitchen prepared for the residents. We just told the staff each morning if we’d want a tray and they’d make enough for us. They took it out of our check and it was $1.35 per meal!  This was in the early nineties and I could not have driven to McDonald’s for that price. Plus, it was a full,  balanced meal, because the menus were approved by dietitians working for the state. 

• Upvote 5

At my job, breaks are paid, but lunches (usually either 30 or 60 minutes) are not.  The exception is if the bank is understaffed so that you can't leave the floor.  Then you can still eat at your desk or behind the line, but it's called a "captive lunch" and you are paid for that time, since you aren't getting a totally off stage/off the line break.  I have actually never worked a job where you got a paid lunchtime!  But I think it is cool that exists out there somewhere.

• Upvote 3

13 hours ago, OhNoNike said:

Having said that, federal employment seems to be totally different from most civilian jobs

And not always in a good way. I worked in the private sector for ten years before becoming a fed, and had never had a 40 hour workweek before. I worked at the corporate headquarters of very large companies, and the workweeks were 37 1/2 hours, or 35 even. None of them had collective bargaining agreements. They all had short and long term disability insurance, none of this hoping you don't get sick for a couple of years until your leave builds up like in federal service. Thirty-two years into federal service now, and I still find certain aspect of it to be weird, lol.

7 hours ago, Tigerchild74 said:

I have actually never worked a job where you got a paid lunchtime!

Me either. My daughter is a CNA and often works through her thirty minute break, which she then gets paid for. 

• Upvote 3
  • I Agree 1

I just noticed in the picture of Anna and Mary in front of the coffee shop that Mary appears to have a severe underbite.  I haven't noticed this before, has anyone else?  Do they not let their kids have orthodontic treatments?

Screen Shot 2019-08-23 at 8.04.52 AM.png

• Upvote 1

• Coconut Flan locked this topic