IGNORED

If you're going to commit hate crimes turn off your cell phone

47of74

Some Maryland students learned that the hard way

Four Maryland students charged with hate crimes for plastering their school in racist, homophobic, and anti-Semitic words and imagery just days before their high school graduation last year were identified by school administrators because their phones had automatically connected to the campus’ wifi network, according to reports.

As part of its series exploring hate crimes, the Washington Post on Tuesday published a feature on the vandalism, evidently intended to be a senior prank, that included details specific to how the four Glenelg High School students—Joshua Shaffer, Seth Taylor, Matthew Lipp, and Tyler Curtiss—were caught.

In order to connect to the school’s wifi network, students must log in from their phones with unique IDs that continue thereafter to “automatically connect whenever they are on campus,” according to the Post. The Howard County Times previously reported that wifi had a hand in helping identify the involved students.

Despite masking their faces with t-shirts to shield themselves from security cameras, the four teens were automatically registered as being on campus at 11:35pm on May 23, 2018, the night the crimes occurred. Surveillance footage captured the four using spray paint to graffiti penises, swastikas, racist and homophobic slurs, and other images across the school’s property.

• Upvote 8
  • Love 1

Cant fix stupid. And these are senior boys! Proud moment right there....  good luck on your college applications lads. I hope this follows you for years like the bad smell you are...

• Upvote 2
  • I Agree 7

Cant fix stupid. And these are senior boys! Proud moment right there....  good luck on your college applications lads. I hope this follows you for years like the bad smell you are...

Yeah I hope it does follow them that these kids don’t get an easy out and become future Kavadouches.
  • Upvote 3
  • I Agree 3