IGNORED

Unlicensed Nebraska midwife charged with homicide

JermajestyDuggar

A “midwife” named Angela Hock has been charged with the homocide after a baby died as a result of her negligence. She assured the mother she could deliver the baby via homebirth although it was breech. She is a Christian homeschooling mother of 5 who is anti-vaccine, anti-doctors, and anti-ultrasound. Now I can’t say if she’s for sure fundie, but plenty of FJ fundies would seek her out if having a baby. She has stayed on her website:

“I believe that we were created to birth without invention and that women possess the God-given wisdom and intuition to birth their babies free from regulation.  I also believe in women making truly informed choices about their births. “

https://www.nebraskabirthkeeper.com/about

https://people.com/crime/unlicensed-midwife-charged-baby-death/

https://m.facebook.com/nebraskabirthkeeper/

Edited by choralcrusader8613
  • Sad 6
  • Rufus Bless 1
  • WTF 12
  • Thank You 5

1 minute ago, HarryPotterFan said:

I hope she rots in jail for a long time

Give that bitch the death penalty.

• Upvote 1
  • Move Along 1
  • Downvote 5
  • WTF 3

I’ve heard of anti vaccine and anti doctors, but where does anti ultrasound come from? I guess if you reject hospitals and doctors, then you have to reject all the works that come from them, I suppose.

• Upvote 14

On her blog she calls hospital births “birthing in captivity.”

Well I hope you enjoy living in captivity for awhile! 

4 minutes ago, Cleopatra7 said:

I’ve heard of anti vaccine and anti doctors, but where does anti ultrasound come from? I guess if you reject hospitals and doctors, then you have to reject all the works that come from them, I suppose.

This is what she posted on FB:

DE517DF9-BB3E-4F94-BC82-11D2F0C96F5E.jpeg

• Disgust 1
  • Confused 1
  • Rufus Bless 1
  • WTF 22

I read on her blog that she was going to do a “mission” as a midwife to the Amazon at the beginning of next year. And she was going to take her whole family with her for a month. I imagine this asshole would have done some real damage there too so I imagine that is cancelled. And to that I say: thank goodness! At least those people are safe from her! 

In her first blog post, she talks about why she doesn’t want to be licensed. Spoiler: she doesn’t want to follow rules. One rule she states she doesn’t want to follow: licensed midwives aren’t allowed to deliver breech babies. Shocker.

Edited by JermajestyDuggar
  • Upvote 26
  • Love 1

I know that Hannah (Washburn) Manderino said that she was anti-ultrasound as they believe that babies are formed in secret. When she was pregnant with her first, she thought she was having twins, or at least was trying to convince herself. Needless to say, it was a singleton. She’s now pregnant again. I’m not sure about her younger sister Abigail (Washburn) LaGoy.

I don’t get it either. Twins and above are high-risk; you run the risk of things like twin-to-twin transfusion syndrome (eg what happened with Zsu Anderson and Boaz/Jachin), one baby’s growth slowing down, as well as a higher risk of other complications like gestational diabetes and anaemia. And if I was pregnant with twins I would want to know well in advance!!

• Upvote 12
  • WTF 2
  • I Agree 5
  • Love 1

Her facebook page is nuts. And I am sorry but those parents deserve blame here. They made these choices.

• Upvote 25
  • I Agree 4
  • Love 1

2 minutes ago, mango_fandango said:

I know that Hannah (Washburn) Manderino said that she was anti-ultrasound as they believe that babies are formed in secret. When she was pregnant with her first, she thought she was having twins, or at least was trying to convince herself. Needless to say, it was a singleton. She’s now pregnant again. I’m not sure about her younger sister Abigail (Washburn) LaGoy.

I don’t get it either. Twins and above are high-risk; you run the risk of things like twin-to-twin transfusion syndrome (eg what happened with Zsu Anderson and Boaz/Jachin), one baby’s growth slowing down, as well as a higher risk of other complications like gestational diabetes and anaemia. And if I was pregnant with twins I would want to know well in advance!!

Lol people kept telling Hannah that she wasn’t big enough to be having twins. But she wouldn’t listen. She even witnessed a fundie homebirthing friend who had surprise twins and had to be taken to the hospital right away due to complications. Wouldn’t that be enough to deter you from wanting surprise twins? 

• Upvote 9
  • I Agree 2
  • Love 2

27 minutes ago, JermajestyDuggar said:

On her blog she calls hospital births “birthing in captivity.”

Well I hope you enjoy living in captivity for awhile! 

This is what she posted on FB:

DE517DF9-BB3E-4F94-BC82-11D2F0C96F5E.jpeg

Ah, Rufus bless.

She doesn't know that ultrasound isn't even radiation.

• Upvote 25
  • Rufus Bless 1
  • I Agree 2

2 minutes ago, Dreadcrumbs said:

Ah, Rufus bless.

She doesn't know that ultrasound isn't even radiation.

She doesn’t know a lot of things unfortunately. I’m so tired of these woo loving google university degreed idiots who spread misinformation. 

This is also from her blog from a few years ago. So does this mean she will say the baby’s death was god’s decision? My guess is yes. 

09B8A212-BBB3-4221-ABA2-62641735B619.jpeg

• Angry 4
  • Disgust 5
  • Sad 1
  • WTF 3
  • I Agree 1
  • Thank You 1

My name is Angee Hock. My journey as a birth professional began in 2004, consulting with moms in pregnancy and birth.

The second sentence of her bio is a lie.  She's not a birth professional.  It's a gross misrepresentation of how she came to be delivering babies, with seemingly zero understanding of potential complications.  

A cute woman, cute website, an inflated sense of her own knowledge and skill  = a danger to pregnant women and babies, born and unborn. 

If any of you understand the Private Membership Association angle, please clarify how and why she would be using this to practice midwifery under the radar.  She has a section on her web site here

Also, "birth keeper."  I'd be very interested in knowing her husband's politics/beliefs.  Birth Keeper reminds me too much of Oath Keepers.  Southern Poverty Law Center identifies Oath Keepers as "one of the largest radical antigovernment groups in the U.S. today."  

Edited by Howl
  • Upvote 21
  • I Agree 2
  • Thank You 2
  • Love 1

14 minutes ago, JermajestyDuggar said:

She doesn’t know a lot of things unfortunately. I’m so tired of these woo loving google university degreed idiots who spread misinformation. 

This is also from her blog from a few years ago. So does this mean she will say the baby’s death was god’s decision? My guess is yes. 

09B8A212-BBB3-4221-ABA2-62641735B619.jpeg

Great, she can use this line of thinking to blame Gd when she kills babies with her incompetence 

• Upvote 11
  • I Agree 3

The PMA section on her site reads like some sovereign citizen bullshit, aka a way to convince themselves they are immune from following laws. 

Her website, Facebook, etc. actually violate the terms of the PMA as I read them, since she’s clearly advertising and communicating her devices outside of the PMA. 

• Upvote 11
  • I Agree 2
  • Thank You 1

19 minutes ago, nelliebelle1197 said:

Her facebook page is nuts. And I am sorry but those parents deserve blame here. They made these choices.

I agree to an extent but I still think the real blame lies with the supposed "medical professional" claiming to be able to do all these things. I know that most here are like me in that we do our own research and try and educate ourselves on a myriad of things but not all people have the capability to do that. Whether those reasons are indoctrination, lack of formal education and the associated ability to synthesize large amounts of information or understand basic science, or under education. In my own profession, I think you'd be running at well over 90% of the public that don't know the difference between a Clinical Psychologist, a Licensed Professional Counselor, and a "therapist". 

This woman should have been shut down well before she could set up this whole farce online and attract patients. I doubt (and maybe this is my own bias and a generalization...I don't know) that her patients were well educated and unfortunately, people who don't have the same access to education as others are more likely to fall for a quack like this woman.

In my own field, I've had patients come to me after doing YEARS of 'Heart Math' therapy with a Licensed Professional Counselor covered by insurance and didn't understand why it wasn't working and felt the reason they weren't getting better was something wrong with them rather than the counselor. I'm not saying the gold-standard evidence-based therapies are 100%- they aren't and I shift and double check myself when I'm not seeing improvement rather than allow someone to keep paying money or ever let them blame themselves. If I'm not motivating them or changing behavioral contingencies to give them the best possible chance at making change, then I'm not doing my job. But I can guarantee you that crap like 'Heart Math' only sees any improvement it could ever report due to placebo, and placebo is powerful, but it is not long lasting and that person is taking your money for pseudoscience.

I believe the parents are partially responsible but the onus goes on the 'health provider' that lies and presents themselves, their knowledge, and their expertise in a fraudulent way. 

• Upvote 16
  • I Agree 1
  • Love 6

14 minutes ago, Kylolo said:

The PMA section on her site reads like some sovereign citizen bullshit, aka a way to convince themselves they are immune from following laws. 

Yes, absolutely, exactly this. 

Noe and her husband Crayton Noe paid Hock somewhere between $3,000 and $4,000 for her services, according to investigators,

There's a facebook post noting that she was doing four births very close together.  That's, uh, between $9,000 and $12,000 bucks.  

I suspect this woman was hauling in a lot of $$$$$ over the course of a year and reporting zero of that income, because that's the vibe that goes along with hating government and not following rules. 

If it's exposed during the investigation that  the Hocks have been screwing the IRS by not reporting any of this income, their problems have only just begun.  

Edited by Howl
  • Upvote 27
  • Angry 1
  • I Agree 4
  • Love 2

19 minutes ago, Howl said:

The second sentence of her bio is a lie.  She's not a birth professional.  It's a gross misrepresentation of how she came to be delivering babies, with seemingly zero understanding of potential complications.  

A cute woman, cute website, an inflated sense of her own knowledge and skill  = a danger to pregnant women and babies, born and unborn. 

If any of you understand the Private Membership Association angle, please clarify how and why she would be using this to practice midwifery under the radar.  She has a section on her web site here

Also, "birth keeper."  I'd be very interested in knowing her husband's politics/beliefs.  Birth Keeper reminds me too much of Oath Keepers.  Southern Poverty Law Center identifies Oath Keepers as "one of the largest radical antigovernment groups in the U.S. today."  

Oh yes I saw the Birth Keeper description and immediately thought of oath keepers and sovereign citizens. 

• Upvote 3

Her birth of her fifth child less than a year ago was not assisted by a midwife. Her doula/photographer was there along with her husband. But that’s it. Instead of clamping and cutting the cord, she kept it on for hours and then had a burning ceremony. She also made some placenta print art. During her recovery she was a free bleeder for days. She said she just laid naked in bed on chux pads. She wanted her crotch to breath. Oh and she steamed her crotch with some sort of special crotch steamer. Lots of fun stuff like that. I have a hippie dippy side but that’s just too much for me. 

• Upvote 9
  • WTF 35
  • I Agree 2

20 minutes ago, JermajestyDuggar said:

Oh yes I saw the Birth Keeper description and immediately thought of oath keepers and sovereign citizens. 

Just did a little dive into "What is a Private Membership Association?" and yeah, the first sentence is so SovCit: 

Spoiler

A Private Membership Association (“PMA”) is men and woman collectively asserting and standing upon their rights to determine what devices, products, procedures, or services will be used by them to maintain the health of their own body, mind or spirit.

Private Membership Associations apparently have a legitimate use.  Here's a website with a bit of info: proadvocate.org

Spoiler

Generally, those in a private membership association are not under the jurisdiction of the state, local, and federal governments’ laws and regulations, the exception being, when a private membership associates’ activities present a clear and present danger.

Must find out more! 

8 minutes ago, JermajestyDuggar said:

Oh and she steamed her crotch with some sort of special crotch steamer.

She didn't use enough GOOP? 

Edited by Howl
  • Upvote 8
  • Thank You 1

So, if all of this is god’s will, why have a “midwife” at all? As in - why would she even hire herself out? Isn’t whatever’s going to happen with a birth going to happen? ??‍♀️

• Upvote 20
  • I Agree 3

I also can't help thinking about how messed up the US health care system, especially for maternity care, is and how it seems to give rise to crap like this woman was selling much more than in other Western countries. I'm saying 'more' not that it is non-existent elsewhere. 

So many states have so many limitations on qualified midwives here, whereas in Australia and the UK (both countries I have worked in, the former being my home country) midwives deliver the majority of babies in hospitals and birthing centers. In what I generally consider my hometown, a rural town and a regional hub of services, there is always an obstetrician on duty and the obstetricians see the high risk women and if a complication has arisen (e.g. preeclampsia), the midwives immediately refer to the obstetrician and then care is handled in tandem from there. But the midwives oversee the vaginal births, not the obstetricians unless the midwife realizes things aren't right and the on-call OB is called in. The OB stays apprised of all births on the ward when they are on call incase they are needed but they let the midwives mostly do their thing. You have an assigned midwife from the beginning to see you through your whole pregnancy. There is a team of midwives and they have weekly meetings updating the others on their caseload in case they aren't on-call or on-duty when the baby comes. The women meet all midwives during the pregnancy so it isn't a complete stranger that walks in during labor if their own midwife can't come in. The midwives also meet with the obstetricians and discuss high-risk cases. Women are well informed and everything is explained to them. The midwife works with them throughout the pregnancy on their birth plan.

And they don't need to worry about a bill at all when they walk out of the maternity unit with their newborn baby. 

It's not perfect but I often think quacks like this wouldn't be such an issue in this country if the health system made sense. I know it's a more umbrella issue and it doesn't take away any of the blame off this idiot who thinks ultrasounds transmit radiation (#soundwavesarenotradiation) and all the other ridiculous claims she makes. Dunning-Kruger effect in action with that egotistical woman. 

• Upvote 23
  • Love 6

When I first got interested in Quiverfull, a fundy woman almost died under the care of an unlicensed and incompetent midwife who failed to realize that the woman had gestational diabetes.  This may have also been in Nebraska/Kansas.  It turned out that the midwife's husband was a convicted pedophile.  Hot mess. 

This woman did subsequently leave patriarchy and blogged about the whole thing.  I don't think it was Vyckie Garrison but I can't remember who it was. Anyone? 

• Upvote 3

I have a real hate on for this sanctimonious POS.  It took me a 4 year university degree and 2 years post degree at a community college to become a labor and delivery nurse.  I do feel sorry for her kids though because pretty Mama is going to jail.

• Upvote 25
  • Love 16

9 minutes ago, pook said:

I have a real hate on for this sanctimonious POS.  It took me a 4 year university degree and 2 years post degree at a community college to become a labor and delivery nurse.  I do feel sorry for her kids though because pretty Mama is going to jail.

Part of me hopes she pleads guilty and gets a shorter sentence because her 5 young kids need her. But a baby is dead because of her. So I don’t know. I guess I do know that she should be banned from ever attending a homebirth ever again. Even as just a doula or a friend. 

• Upvote 17

2 hours ago, Howl said:

This is her husband: https://www.ipexneb.com/tracyhock. The church listed in his bio is this one http://cornerstoneberean.org/ but I know nothing of Berean churches or if they’re even a particular affiliation. 

• Upvote 3