IGNORED

Joy & Austin 28: loss and mourning

laPapessaGiovanna

I had a lot of dental stuff as a kid (2 permanent teeth knocked out root and all being surgically put back in, 2 root canals, 2 caps, braces) and on top of it I have anxiety. 

My wisdom teeth removal was straigr forward but combined with some fillings so with that and the anxiety and dislike of needles we decided on IV sedation. I remember nothing. Apparently I was hilarious though. 

Definitely have ice packs and cold/soft food ready. I ate a pint of gelato and it was amazing. 

• Upvote 5
  • Love 1

My dentist managed to dislocate my jaw when i had my last bottom wisdom tooth removed. [emoji51] took three xrays and lots of manipulation to get it back in the right place. That was lovely! I actually looked like I had tennis balls in my mouth, my jaw was that swollen. It was hideous, I actually had to take nearly a months sick leave - i ended up with an ng tube for nutrition [emoji2961] thank god it was my last one, had it been the start of them id be refusing removal

• Upvote 1
  • Sad 9

I was knocked out to have my wisdom teeth out, it was pretty straightforward but they weren’t impacted, just full of cavities. Lots of ice for the next couple of days and some painkillers, and I was fine. Didn’t even swell that much.

• Upvote 4

Ugh I went to the periodontist this morning to see if one of my molars can be saved.  I had root canal and a crown on it 31 years ago, but last year part of the root broke off and worked its way partly out of my palate (my dentist hadn’t ever seen that happen before).  I’ve been putting it off but can’t any longer as the gum has become tender.  The verdict, there’s an infection eating away the bone and the tooth has to come out.  I can either have a gap or get an implant.  Neither is attractive but I’ll probably have the implant as I’ve had my wisdom teeth out plus four other teeth were removed when I had braces as a teenager, so I can’t afford to lose another one.  I’m not looking forward to any of this.

• Love 18

10 minutes ago, Karma said:

Ugh I went to the periodontist this morning to see if one of my molars can be saved.  I had root canal and a crown on it 31 years ago, but last year part of the root broke off and worked its way partly out of my palate (my dentist hadn’t ever seen that happen before).  I’ve been putting it off but can’t any longer as the gum has become tender.  The verdict, there’s an infection eating away the bone and the tooth has to come out.  I can either have a gap or get an implant.  Neither is attractive but I’ll probably have the implant as I’ve had my wisdom teeth out plus four other teeth were removed when I had braces as a teenager, so I can’t afford to lose another one.  I’m not looking forward to any of this.

Would a bridge work? I lost a molar d/t DDS error and likely unethical practices about 25 years ago, and have had a bridge since that time. Oh the stories That I could tell. 

• Upvote 1
  • Love 4

As his anesthesia from having his wisdom teeth removed wore off, Two was VERY much trying to impress the dental assistant with his "club dance moves." It was one of the funniest things I've ever seen.

• Haha 14

14 hours ago, MathQueen said:

I am oh, so happy to see that big needle of Novocain when I have anything beyond a tooth cleaning. Needles are totally not terrifying for me! For reasons that remain a mystery to me, as a child every single filling in my mouth was done with nothing for pain. Just a big metal device to clamp my jaw open and something to strap me in the seat. Needless to say, any work done now is preceded by copious amounts of anti-anxiety meds. And followed by the maximum allowable amount of pain relief. Happily, even through some really tough procedures I have been pain-free. Dental professionals care that you are not hurting. Things are SO much better now!

I'm not afraid of needles, but needles in my mouth creep me out! 

• Upvote 3
  • I Agree 3

36 minutes ago, libgirl2 said:

I'm not afraid of needles, but needles in my mouth creep me out! 

Try getting them in your eye. :whaa:

Not as bad as you would think, not fun by any stretch of the imagination, but not painful. I'd rather get a shot in my eye than go to the dentist, the eye shots are done and over with in seconds, dental work takes HOURS. And that drill.  :wtsf: Pass the nitrous oxide  and the ativan please, it is the only way I can have dental work done.  

• Upvote 5
  • I Agree 1
  • Love 1

4 minutes ago, allthegoodnamesrgone said:

Try getting them in your eye. :whaa:

Not as bad as you would think, not fun by any stretch of the imagination, but not painful. I'd rather get a shot in my eye than go to the dentist, the eye shots are done and over with in seconds, dental work takes HOURS. And that drill.  :wtsf: Pass the nitrous oxide  and the ativan please, it is the only way I can have dental work done.  

No thank you!!! 

• Upvote 1
  • Haha 3
  • I Agree 4

Ok, I love you all, but this thread just made me nauseous. 

Does anyone have nail polish recommendations or curly hair help or period panty suggestions? Anything? Please? 

• Upvote 7
  • Haha 12
  • I Agree 5

I just heard a horrible anecdote about someone getting dental work and having the dentist sneeze in their mouth. She had gone in under duress, using a Groupon because she did not have coverage. Ended up needing gum work. That happened.

I have had virtually everything imaginable done to me and have work on 3/4 of my teeth so it will be an ongoing struggle.

That truly horrified me. Worst thing I have ever heard.

@CharlieInCharge
Oops. ☺️

Edited by AliceInFundyland
  • Disgust 5
  • Sad 1

9 minutes ago, CharlieInCharge said:

Does anyone have nail polish recommendations or curly hair help or period panty suggestions? Anything? Please? 

I don’t mind the thread drift, but I am always looking for curly hair help so I anyone has any great products for curly hair that is thin I would love to hear about it!!

• Upvote 5

12 minutes ago, CharlieInCharge said:

The best part of getting a shot in your eye, is telling people you get a shot in your eye, the reactions are priceless.:laughing-rolling:  

• Upvote 1
  • Haha 6
  • Love 1

2 hours ago, Four is Enough said:

As his anesthesia from having his wisdom teeth removed wore off, Two was VERY much trying to impress the dental assistant with his "club dance moves." It was one of the funniest things I've ever seen.

My then-boyfriend (now husband) was with me during my wisdom teeth extractions. He and the medical staff thought I was great because I kept repeating “I got this, I’m awesome,” when they tried helping me up or helping me walk. I’ve since adopted that as my life motto because, apparently, drugged be is kind of all knowing and wise. ?

48 minutes ago, CharlieInCharge said:

Don’t use any of those things, but I had onion rings for lunch today. My younger brother gave me pregnancy cravings for them last night, so I needed to feed the tiny beast within or risk insanity. They were disappointing and I was very sad. So, to sum up, don’t give your pregnant loved one pregnancy cravings they can’t righteously fulfill. 

ETA: In case anyone was wondering - yes. I did finish them anyways. Go big or go home. ?

Edited by VelociRapture
  • Upvote 1
  • Haha 16

I can still remember how disappointed I was when I was very pregnant and subway had run out of chocolate chip cookies.

• Upvote 6
  • Sad 1
  • Love 1

I just returned from a cleaning at the dentist. Bought some kefir to try on the way home. Thanks FJ for turning me on to new things. (Seewald thread.)

• Upvote 10
  • Haha 4
  • Love 1

I only lost like 6 baby teeth on my own, so had them pulled out en masse over 3 separate oral surgeries in middle school. The adult canines also had to pulled down with little chains (like getting braces tightened). Since I was young, they knocked me out for all the surgeries. I was also knocked out for wisdom tooth removal. 

I'm fine with IVs, but I've had a few panic attacks at even the threat of novocaine so my brain is just weird I guess. 

I also had braces for 4 years and an expander. When I lost my retainer the one and only time, my orthodontist just made me a new one for free, saying she used my case for her students and my parents had already paid her enough ?

• Upvote 8

If it's any comfort, the worst part of getting my wisdom teeth out was being put under via an IV because I'm terrified of needles.  I thanked everyone after my surgery and was able to eat pizza the next day! 

My sister had all four wisdom teeth impacted so her recovery was a lot longer and more painful, even with the pain medicine.  One morning after my sister's surgery, our mom woke up and went to the bathroom to find both the toilet paper roll and rod gone.  I guess that previous night the pain meds made my sister hallucinate that the toilet paper roll was an ice pack.  It was pretty amusing to watch her wake up to the toilet paper roll and rod on her nightstand.  

• Upvote 6
  • Haha 3

A positive wisdom tooth story:

Fortress#1 recently had all 4 of his out---general anesthesia.  One had erupted--the other three had not. He took Tylenol 3 the first night to sleep, but didn't really have much pain beyond that. I think he took some regular pain killer the next day. He easily could have gone to work the next day.  He was pretty good about the mouth swishing and had a little plastic syringe to clean out the holes. He said that helped a lot. He barely had any swelling.

I swear that I was more worried about the narcotics---I have heard so many stories about people's first entry into the opioid epidemic is through post-wisdom teeth recover!

I had all for of mine out at 18 & don't remember anything except that they gave me something to relax before I went to the appointment.  It made me feel very loopy and drunkish.  I loved it.

• Upvote 7

I just finished a root canal yesterday. I absolutely hate the dentist and used to take calming medication before I would go. However, I finally found a dentist I liked and built trust with him. Still dislike going, but I’m able to go medication free and he works patiently with me! 

• Upvote 6
  • Love 5

Sooooo.... @VelociRapture tell me more about these onion rings. Or the pregnancy cravings. Or how is your brother doing? He seems nice. Or maybe your dog or baby did something cute today? (Yes, I’m desperate, I don’t want to abandon a thread, but my mouth hurts reading here right now and that eye thing was ?)

• Upvote 1
  • Haha 10

While the average adult has less than 4 wisdom teeth, I had 5 in a mouth too small for the teeth that were in it, let alone FIVE more. They knocked me out to take them out.  (They were impacted)

• Upvote 6

9 minutes ago, CharlieInCharge said:

Sooooo.... @VelociRapture tell me more about these onion rings. Or the pregnancy cravings. Or how is your brother doing? He seems nice. Or maybe your dog or baby did something cute today? (Yes, I’m desperate, I don’t want to abandon a thread, but my mouth hurts reading here right now and that eye thing was ?)

Hmmm...

- Onion Rings were disappointing. 

- This child wants me to eat everything. I swear I’m growing a tiny Viking or something because I really love red meat, potatoes, and pasta. I could eat those all day, every day and not be satisfied (probably because I’d likely die of a heart attack or something.) With my daughter I just really wanted melted cheese all the time.

- My brother is alive, mostly because I can’t bring myself to strangle him for giving me that craving. He promised we’d see the new Lion King movie together and I fully plan to sob hysterically through the entire thing to embarrass him whenever we go.

- My dog is currently curled up on the couch next to me. She looks kind of like a cinnamon roll. The toddler is laying down in her toy box, on top of her toys, while watching the credits to “Lilo & Stitch.” Kids are weird. ?

• Upvote 5
  • Love 8

3 hours ago, AliceInFundyland said:

I just heard a horrible anecdote about someone getting dental work and having the dentist sneeze in their mouth. She had gone in under duress, using a Groupon because she did not have coverage. Ended up needing gum work. That happened.

I have had virtually everything imaginable done to me and have work on 3/4 of my teeth so it will be an ongoing struggle.

That truly horrified me. Worst thing I have ever heard.

@CharlieInCharge
Oops. ☺️

My dentist always wears a mask when she works on me. 

• Upvote 2
  • I Agree 9

I like Shea moisture curl cream for my curls. But people keep asking me if I’ve tried curly girl method. I feel like it’s more dedication that I’ve got time for, but I haven’t actually looked at it.

just tried defy and inspire nail polish from target and was impressed for a 9-free brand. It lasts longer on toes of course.

i avoid phthalates parabens sls and other chemicals, so my beauty recommendations follow that!

• Upvote 6
  • Love 1

• Coconut Flan locked this topic