IGNORED

ibaptistcollege.org > Ivy League Theology School

DangerNoodle

I found the site on a discussion about Nuri Rodrigues's fiance. https://www.ibaptistcollege.org

It's a Bible training school. But it's a fundie snarkers dream come true. They've reached new levels of arrogance and self-importance. 

This is the reason they're not accredited... They're better than everyone else ?

20190702_095701_rmedited.jpg

• Rufus Bless 2
  • WTF 7
  • Haha 23

So they offer 6 degrees - Associates of general studies, associates of pastoral ministry, pastor's refresher diploma, masters degree program, bachelor of Science: Pastoral Theology and Bachelor of Science: Elementary Education. 

The elementary education degree doesn't have a class about human development. It was one of the first education classes every Ed major (elementary, high school and career & technical education) at my university took. It literally is a class about  psychological and social development from conception through adolescence. It is one of the classes I have used the most during my life and I am not a teacher. 

The Pastoral theology degree - oh my god! There is class "biographies of great preachers" are you freaking kidding me?! And another one called "prayer" and another one called "the preacher and his family" an entire class! I am very curious as to what they talk about in "Modern Day Cults/Religions". The say there is a "Cults 101" course but it doesn't say who you will be studying. It just says this:

Cults 101, taught by Dr. David Baker, will give you a basic understanding of the various cults that have existed and still do to this day.  You’ll learn the various doctrinal issues that each cult faces and why their beliefs don’t match up with Biblical principles.  Understanding these cults will give you a better understanding of where they’re coming from and give you a better chance of reaching and leading them to the Lord.

I looked at the courses and they don't have a course on the gospels. But they have specific classes on Acts, Daniel, Genesis, Samuel I &II, I Corinthians, Isaiah, Proverbs, Revelation and Romans. That is a lot of OT specific courses for also offering NT courses and how to build a NT church. And I repeat, no specific courses on the gospels! 

Edited by quiversR4hunting
bad spelling!
  • Upvote 5
  • Thank You 6

wrong thread, I am an idiot. Sorry! 

Edited by quiversR4hunting

3 hours ago, DangerNoodle said:

I found the site on a discussion about Nuri Rodrigues's fiance. https://www.ibaptistcollege.org

It's a Bible training school. But it's a fundie snarkers dream come true. They've reached new levels of arrogance and self-importance. 

This is the reason they're not accredited... They're better than everyone else ?

Whoa, they’re not only arrogant they’re unimpressive. (By which I mean stupid. They’re stupid.)

Their main metaphor makes no sense. While it’s true that Mickey Mantle wasn’t accredited by Little League, why would he be? He was however “accredited” by his professional team. What they’re doing is the equivalent of backyard play, and if Mickey Mantle had gone that route he wouldn’t have gotten very far.

Their disdain for “the public school system” is similarly confusing. First of all, school quality varies HUGELY. Some schools are well-equipped and challenging, some are fine/mediocre, and some let their students down badly. Comparing themselves to “the public school system” as a monolith doesn’t make sense.

But, much more importantly, it doesn’t make sense because “the public school system” generally refers to elementary through high school. Why are they comparing themselves, purportedly a college, to childhood education?? It would make more sense (that is, any sense) to compare themselves to other colleges, even other Christian colleges, and make *specific* claims.

Shame on them, honestly. And shame on the Kellers for not guiding their son towards better options when he made this choice, presumably as a teenager.

Edited by Petronella
  • Upvote 19
  • I Agree 2

10 minutes ago, Petronella said:

Their disdain for “the public school system” is similarly confusing. First of all, school quality varies HUGELY. 

Exactly.

Plus accreditation agencies accredit both public and private institutions. Bob Jones University and Sarah Lawrence are both accredited.

• Upvote 9
  • I Agree 1

38 minutes ago, Petronella said:

Their disdain for “the public school system” is similarly confusing. First of all, school quality varies HUGELY. Some schools are well-equipped and challenging, some are fine/mediocre, and some let their students down badly. Comparing themselves to “the public school system” as a monolith doesn’t make sense.

This is something that I wish more people (not just fundies) would understand. Public education is all over the place in terms of quality. I had great public school experiences and abysmal ones growing up.

• Upvote 9

3 hours ago, DangerNoodle said:

This is poorly written and awkwardly phrased; it has a Gothard feel to it. 

"The wise educator will see to it that his produce is so much better than the product of his accreditors."   

The whole point of this anecdote is that they eschew accreditation, so this is irrelevant.  Produce and product are used incorrectly in this context.  Epic fail right off the bat, making the opposite point from the one intended.  

Also, he offers no objective way to determine if their educational results are superior to those of students with a public school education, because he has zip awareness of scientific method. 

They are simply perpetuating generations of increasingly ignorant people. 

• Upvote 12

Hmm. The masochist in me really wants to sit through a class on my favorite subject (cults) from a cult perspective.

• Upvote 18
  • Haha 2
  • I Agree 5
  • Love 1

11 hours ago, quiversR4hunting said:

The Pastoral theology degree - oh my god! There is class "biographies of great preachers" are you freaking kidding me?! 

To be fair, that could be a good class in the hands of a better school with better theology and better teachers. The Theology department at my university has biographical courses about Christian women in late antiquity, women during the Reformation, important 20th century Christians, and in-depth courses on specific theologians. The difference is that the biographies in question at my school tend to be a mix of primary sources, academic books, and peer reviewed journal articles, while I have a feeling the biographies used by this school are just badly written hagiographies/rants. Given how poorly that blurb was written, I would be surprised if students at this IFB college are writing essays, doing independent research, or doing any other work that would involve anything other than parroting the party line of the school.

• Upvote 6
  • I Agree 5

The fees are $150 per hour?  Strange.  “Obtain your Bible degree.”  Strange wording.

• Upvote 5
  • I Agree 1

10 hours ago, AliceInFundyland said:

Hmm. The masochist in me really wants to sit through a class on my favorite subject (cults) from a cult perspective.

Me too!!

If I win the lotto tonight I will sign us both up! ?

• Upvote 5
  • I Agree 1

10 hours ago, AliceInFundyland said:

Oh I would enjoy it. I always want to get the persepective of people who may be in a cult or cult like thinking to then talk about cults openly! It helps me understand better and it’s pretty interesting. 

• Upvote 4
  • I Agree 5

Here's the course description for English 101:

English 101 will take you through the fundamentals of English taught from a Biblical perspective.  This course, taught by Glynda White, will focus on teaching English grammar and writing using the King James Bible as the primary text.

The KJV was published in 1611. Is she teaching Elizabethian English?

Edited by Coconut Flan
Removed signature.
  • WTF 8
  • Haha 21

No.  Once you purchase the course, it is yours to take at your own pace.  The great advantage of taking courses online is that you’re not bound to a brick and mortar school schedule to complete your degree.  You schedule the time to take your courses and once you’ve passed the final, that course is complete.

So I can buy a course and do it on my own schedule! I am so, so tempted. 

• Upvote 5
  • Haha 2
  • I Agree 1

You know you have been following Fundies for far too long when you are pleasantly surprised when one of them goes to an actual accredited college instead of an unaccredited diploma mill like Independent Baptist College.

As I said on the other thread, Nathan Keller's "degree" isn't worth the paper it is printed on in the real world.  But Fundies have their own little parallel unaccredited educational system where they create BA and MA degrees, and make up PhDs.  And then the fake PhDs teach  at the unaccredited college and give out more little fake BAs.  And so ad infinitum.

The dead give away is to look at the faculty.  Usually their "degrees" are from unaccredited colleges too.  And, Fundies beware, the problem with going to unaccredited schools is that:

• You are not eligible for any state or federal financial aid (but that doesn't matter because you want to be debt free and not deal with the ebil gubmint.)
  • Your credits will not transfer to any accredited school (but that doesn't matter because they are evil.)
  • You have no guarantee that you will get any kind of decent education (but you don't care because your version of Biblical is Best.)
  • Evil non-Fundies (like me) will laugh at your expensive and worthless "degree."

If they can't face a regionally accredited college they would do better at a Bible School accredited by TRACS (Transnational Association of Christian Colleges and Schools), instead of a determinedly unaccredited one.  TRACS is not as good as Regional Accreditation but it is better than nothing. 

Here's a TRACS Bible College for means of comparison.  And they lay out why accreditation is a Good Thing.  http://www.tbc.edu/accreditation   

18 hours ago, Howl said:

This is poorly written and awkwardly phrased; it has a Gothard feel to it. 

"The wise educator will see to it that his produce is so much better than the product of his accreditors."   

The whole point of this anecdote is that they eschew accreditation, so this is irrelevant.  Produce and product are used incorrectly in this context.  Epic fail right off the bat, making the opposite point from the one intended.  

Also, he offers no objective way to determine if their educational results are superior to those of students with a public school education, because he has zip awareness of scientific method. 

They are simply perpetuating generations of increasingly ignorant people. 

Not Gothard this time.  It's actually a direct quote from Jack Hyles's famous sermon.  http://www.jackhyles.com/accreditation.htm

You know, the Jack Hyles.  This guy https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jack_Hyles may he burn in the hell I don't believe in.  The one who started the unaccredited Hyles-Anderson College.  Famous for the Combs, Schaap, and numerous other sexual abuse scandals ...   

• Upvote 11
  • Thank You 6

18 minutes ago, formergothardite said:

If you do please tell us all about it!!

• Upvote 1
  • I Agree 5

11 hours ago, Cleopatra7 said:

To be fair, that could be a good class in the hands of a better school with better theology and better teachers. The Theology department at myuniversity has biographical courses about Christian women in late antiquity, women during the Reformation, important 20th century Christians, and in-depth courses on specific theologians. The difference is that the biographies in question at my school tend to be a mix of primary sources, academic books, and peer reviewed journal articles, while I have a feeling the biographies used by this school are just badly written hagiographies/rants.

You mean your ACCREDITED university?! Not possible.

Ibaptistcollege.org is inherently superior to all accredited institutions because they don't have an accreditation.

I really wish I could change my FJ name to 'Ibaptistcollege.org Alumni'

• Upvote 7
  • Haha 7

I find myself curious about their superior produce. How’s their lettuce? Will their celery put me on the fast track to heaven? So many vegetable questions. 

• Upvote 2
  • Haha 36
  • I Agree 1

2 hours ago, formergothardite said:

Pleaaase do the cults one. I want to hear about cults on cults. I imagine Mormonism is brought up as the primary example. Evangelicals where I live absolutely despise the Mormon Church and have no self-awareness about the similarities between themselves and the LDS. 

• Upvote 7
  • I Agree 9

18 minutes ago, ViolaSebastian said:

Pleaaase do the cults one. I want to hear about cults on cults. 

Yeah me too.

Kelly Crawford once described Quakers as cult-like. You know Quakers- as in just the churches that say 'friends meeting' outside. Back when that big raid happened she also described FLDS as a cult BUT she thought they should be able to keep their kids and raise them how they want. So who knows what the school's definition of a cult is. 

• Upvote 4
  • WTF 2

36 minutes ago, ViolaSebastian said:

Pleaaase do the cults one. I want to hear about cults on cults. I imagine Mormonism is brought up as the primary example. Evangelicals where I live absolutely despise the Mormon Church and have no self-awareness about the similarities between themselves and the LDS. 

I bet the Catholic church will be labeled a cult by this group. 

16 minutes ago, DangerNoodle said:

So who knows what the school's definition of a cult is. 

Yes, this! I really want to know who they label as a cult and what makes that church a cult. I bet they think some mainstream christian churches are cults (Pentecostal, Catholic, Nazarene - off the top of my head). 

• Upvote 5
  • I Agree 2

20 minutes ago, DangerNoodle said:

Kelly Crawford once described Quakers as cult-like. You know Quakers- as in just the churches that say 'friends meeting' outside. 

As a Quaker myself, I was desperately wanting to know why she though we were a cult. I mean, we don't proselytize, and we're not actively out there love bombing potential recruits the way that some Baptists and other sects do. And people are free to come and go as they want to. I'd love to know her reasoning. 

• Upvote 6
  • I Agree 5
  • Love 1

44 minutes ago, Sobeknofret said:

As a Quaker myself, I was desperately wanting to know why she though we were a cult. 

There was something that people in ***the world*** were  doing that she didn't like. Then someone in the comments pointed out that Quakers also did said thing. I guess she needed a way to discredit Quakers, so she said they had become cult-like. 

She has scrubbed her most bigoted posts off her blog. So I'm not turning up anything now. 

Screenshot_20190703-130047.png

• Thank You 3

I poked around the site - just can't help it - and if you follow the link in the Student section you can take one of three free courses. And be sure to check.out the Pastors section. For just $99 per year you can set up your very own campus at your church so you can train up your "preacher boys" locally and not send them off to Bible college. 

What a scam.

• Upvote 8
  • I Agree 3

RE: Deep diving on cults. As I continue to belatedly catch up with the joys of of podcasts I have discovered Oh No Ross and Carrie.

(I am so glad I kept a list of all these while I had inferior listening capabilities.)

I thought I knew all about Scientology. But there is nothing quite like this accounting of their experience of actively paying some money, walking in off the street, and then taking the classes.

Spoiler: It sounds bloody awful. But they are awesome.

• I Agree 1
  • Thank You 3