• Apple
  • Emerald
  • Chocolate
  • Charcoal
Maintenance Coming Read more... ×
Briefly

Alabama Woman Indicted in Unborn Child's Death

Briefly

https://www.cnn.com/2019/06/27/us/alabama-pregnant-woman-shot-in-stomach-manslaughter-indictment-trnd/index.html

This is horrifying.  And I'm seriously afraid that it's only the beginning.  My take is that she may have instigated the fight or prolonged it, but I don't think that she wanted to lose her child.  I see this as the beginning of our rights being stripped away.  I think that it was only a matter of time until a woman was charged, it would not matter what the circumstances were.  I think the powers that be have been waiting and this situation is what they will use.

• Upvote 1
  • Angry 3
  • WTF 6
  • I Agree 4

Ozlsn

Whether she instigated the fight or not the charge is ridiculous. Using this logic women could be prosecuted for endangering their child by going jogging while pregnant and becoming dehydrated. Or by walking up stairs and tripping. Or by flashing their lights at someone who cut them off and who then escalated the situation. 

RosyDaisy

I'm ashamed of my state and the people running it. Hopefully this lady has a good attorney. I feel for her. I really do.

Briefly
9 minutes ago, Ozlsn said:

Whether she instigated the fight or not the charge is ridiculous. Using this logic women could be prosecuted for endangering their child by going jogging while pregnant and becoming dehydrated. Or by walking up stairs and tripping. Or by flashing their lights at someone who cut them off and who then escalated the situation. 

Exactly.  Women are in car accidents when they are pregnant sometimes.  If the unborn baby dies, do we go after her?  What's next, women shouldn't drive or be passengers in cars because they will be directly responsible if a car runs a stoplight and hits theirs?  I know that's a stretch, but that is the level that I can see this getting to.  I hope she has the absolute best lawyer on the planet.

• Upvote 2
  • I Agree 7
  • Love 1

candygirl200413

I couldn't stop thinking about it during my run today. The lieutenant police officer that made the comment about how it was a child that was killed truly pissed me off because I know that once that black baby girl was born he would not give any fucks about her. It's absolutely heartbreaking that her poor mother went through this but this is just truly the beginning of our rights being taken away. It's always about controlling the woman.

Spent
Dreadcrumbs
5 hours ago, Ozlsn said:

Or existing.

Wait. That's the point, isn't it?

fraurosena
14 hours ago, Briefly said:

Exactly.  Women are in car accidents when they are pregnant sometimes.  If the unborn baby dies, do we go after her?  What's next 

Next will be that women are put into protective custody as soon as she starts to ovulate. Fucking insecure little wankers that need to suppress women in order to feel masculine will stop at nothing less. They will argue that she will need to be protected against herself. A mere woman can't be given the responsibility of ensuring the safety of the unborn child growing in her body!

AmazonGrace

I've heard that the Dark Ages were nice, very picturesque.

Howl
Posted (edited)

I sense that this charge has something to do with trying to advance a precedent for fetal personhood and making abortion a crime for which a woman can be charged with homicide. 

This woman's anguish at being shot and losing her baby is of zero concern to them.  She's a black woman whose only value to them is that she appears to be vulnerable enough to be exploited for their own ends. 

This. Is. Insanity. 

Edited by Howl
  • Upvote 4
  • I Agree 6
  • Love 2

Briefly

https://www.washingtonpost.com/nation/2019/06/28/she-miscarried-after-being-shot-prosecutors-are-weighing-manslaughter-case-against-her/?noredirect=on&utm_term=.04477e92419e

The Prosecuter has not decided about actually prosecuting her.  The Grand Jury indictment left no doubt that they blame her.  From the article:  The indictment against Jones, unsealed Thursday, said that she “intentionally” caused the death of her fetus by “initiating a fight knowing she was five months pregnant,” 

The important part of that is that they are claiming she intentionally caused the death of the fetus.  That ties in directly to the restrictions against abortion for any reason and going after the woman who has one. Additionally, the predates the new law in Alabama taking effect.

Of course, the fact that the state was obviously not expecting this level of attention, or that the attention would be negative, couldn't have anything to do with the Prosecutor's comments... (Heavily sarcastic in case anybody doesn't realize that I am being sarcastic since it's not always easy to tell when reading.)