IGNORED

Dillards 78: Taste the Rainbow

Georgiana

Jill did a tour of her new house on youtube and she shoved both boys together in the smallest room while there's another bedroom with an air mattress so they can nap separately. Because you know, why let your kids have their own rooms or share the larger one. 

• Upvote 5
  • Bless Your Heart 1
  • WTF 6
  • I Agree 4
  • Thank You 3
  • Love 2

@HarleyQuinn, my WTF reaction is to them, not you. Why buy a 3 bedroom house and not give the kids their own bedrooms, if nap time is such a concern? It doesn't make sense. Even if they need to have them share a room later after having more kids, it still doesn't make sense to not separate them now until that time comes. Unless Jill is already pregnant and they're planning to use that room for a nursery, but then they'll still have a naptime problem to deal with. How weird. 

• Upvote 7
  • I Agree 4

Even if she wants to do boy girl dorms like her parents, put them in the larger room. It's what it's there for. Give Skeletor the smallest room for his "office."

• Upvote 10
  • Haha 5
  • I Agree 3
  • Love 2

Also - I found Anna’s birthday wish for Sam to be weird. Maybe I’m just paranoid because in the Jostin thread we discussed the details around Sams birth, but I don’t feel like the Duggar’s ever include a healthy wish in their birthday statements, so I found it interesting that anna wished for Sam to have a healthy year. 

• Upvote 2
  • I Agree 4
  • Love 1

38 minutes ago, HarleyQuinn said:

Jill did a tour of her new house on youtube and she shoved both boys together in the smallest room while there's another bedroom with an air mattress so they can nap separately. Because you know, why let your kids have their own rooms or share the larger one. 

That video is so weird. 

- She shows us all the canned food in her pantry (spoiler: it's Great Value)

- She tells us the concrete pad in the yard is a porch.  

- The laundry closet is a total mess with shorts or underpants and other clothes draped all over the machines. Why did you show us this?  Why not dump it in the machine?

- Derick has the second biggest room for his office and it also appears the most furnished.  Bizarrely, he shares it with Jill's harp. 

Israel also spends a lot of the video attention-seeking.  As usual, Sam is cute.

• Upvote 9
  • I Agree 1
  • Thank You 8

42 minutes ago, HarleyQuinn said:

My son has the smaller room right now because we wanted to do some upgrades in the bigger non master bed room. Im pregnant again now and If this baby is a boy they'll probably end up sharing the big bedroom and we will make the smaller one a play room unless I magically get pregnant again (I found out my two are pretty much a miracle...I have about a 3% chance of getting pregnant with or without medical intervention due to a rare genetic  ovulation issue. 

Not to defend Jill but sometimes there's reasons. Like in our old house the bigger bedroom didn't heat well in the winter. I'd be interested to find out their plan if they have another baby. 

• Upvote 9
  • Love 1

19 minutes ago, HarleyQuinn said:

Give Skeletor the smallest room for his "office."

Holy shit, I rarely literally LOL but now was one of those times! XD

But really, that could be a good idea if he wants to study in peace and not read on the couch while kids jump on his back like he seems to do a lot. And wouldn't he feel like the most speshul of them all to have his very own office - such a big boy already!

• Upvote 2
  • Haha 11
  • Love 1

Eh, I think the size of the boys' room is fine, they just seem to be in some transition periods in many aspects. Sam is probably still going down for a couple hours for his nap, but maybe Israel is only going down for a short nap and using the spare room is their solution for right now. They've got a massive chair in the boys room which would free up a ton of space if it were taken out or exchanged. Sam probably has tops a year left in the crib, so two toddler beds would fit just fine in there. The three non-masters are all small, but we have no reason to believe the boys are being deprived.

I also don't think the office is unfairly large. The boys clearly have free rein to play in the living room, the spare bedroom, their bedroom, and the back yard. Derrick having somewhere to study without interruption has to be helpful and Jill clearly appreciates him being able to study from home. It makes absolute sense to put the harp in there to me because it's an easy boundary to enforce with the boys that the office is a no kid space.

We know that Derrick has suffered from health issues with his jaw and face. We know the treatment has been difficult and painful. Making fun of how that makes his face look is just mean and pointless. He's a bigoted ass, but his face has nothing to do with that. I personally wouldn't have done a home tour before putting away dishes and cleaning up some stuff, but Jill really is just turning on the camera and trying. Influencer stuff is not natural for her.

• Upvote 21
  • I Agree 1
  • Love 1

6 minutes ago, theotherelise said:

We know that Derrick has suffered from health issues with his jaw and face. We know the treatment has been difficult and painful. Making fun of how that makes his face look is just mean and pointless. He's a bigoted ass, but his face has nothing to do with that. 

Eh, I think it  matches his shit personality.

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 4
  • I Agree 6

On 7/7/2019 at 10:04 PM, marmalade said:

According to responses on Derelict's latest IG post, Jill supposedly took some bible classes at a place called Boyce College three years ago (which would have been while they were in Danger America). I'm not sure I buy it.

So this was my "WTF" moment for today. I was driving home from an appointment I had this morning when I noticed a stone pillar with "BOYCE COLLEGE" written on it beside a parking lot. And I was like "why in the world is that familiar to me?" Yep. That college is not only in my town, but in my freakin' neighborhood. And I had never noticed it before you mentioned it here. Go figure.

http://www.boycecollege.com/

• Upvote 6
  • Haha 1

Sooooo, Derick gets his own office for homework, and the kids do all their schooling in the dining room?

• Upvote 3
  • Haha 1

The kids are 2 and 4, what kind of intense schooling do you think they need? Practicing shapes and colors and letters at this age happens best as part of play.

• Upvote 23
  • I Agree 6

I think the room they used as an office makes the most sense because it is separate from the other two and the bathroom. I don't think there's anything wrong with the boys sharing a room but Izzy's bed is bizarrely located. Imo, headboards belong against a wall. 

• Upvote 11
  • Love 1

To me it makes sense for the office to be in the room that it is currently in, given it's location right off of the living room.  Also, having Jill's harp in there makes sense so that it is in an area where the boys can't mess with it as easily. 

However, having both boys in that tiny room is nuts.  Give them each their own room for now or at least the bigger room.  The only way regular beds will fit in that room is in bunk beds.

I feel like they have already outgrown that home. Or they need to get rid of a TON of stuff.  The two car garage is full of stuff that doesn't fit anywhere else.  It didn't look like they have an excessive amount of toys but they really don't have any place for them other than spread between the extra bedroom and living room.  I guess if they build a shed it will help with some of the garage and "porch" mess.  I'd really be wanting a family room..... which actually I do want in real life - we only have one living room too but do have an "office" that we use as a dedicated toy room.

• Upvote 8

In this area of the country, Arkansas and other states around here, a lot of people say 'front porch' and 'back porch' whether consisting of a single step, concrete pad, stones, wood deck, or even marble threshold ?.  Jill is not alone in using this common, regional nomenclature. 

Now I need to find and watch that tour video because it sounds... weird.

• Upvote 12
  • Thank You 1

On 7/7/2019 at 11:44 PM, Johannah said:

Just want to point out- they may be southern baptist but Derick absolutely was not at SBTS. It’s much more rigorous than taking classes through their home church. I don’t agree with a lot of their theology but I’ve had relatives complete degrees there and it’s a real ~academic~ institution. 

The classes for the wives are actually beneficial- lots of women marry men who suddenly are called to ministry and now they’re expected to fill a role they never wanted or prepared for. There’s a lot that a good pastor takes on and it can really affect the wife/family negatively if they’re not prepared. 

Edited by purple_summer
I can’t believe I’m defending sbts. I need a nap.
  • Upvote 8
  • Thank You 2

Is it possible the house has a basement? And that's where they are planning on putting some of the stuff currently in the garage? I agree that the ammount of stuff/boxes compared to space seems off. How did they fit it all in their smaller appartment? 

Mr. May and I are in the process of moving into a 4 bedroom 4 story/split from our current 2 bedroom basement appartment and we have the opposite problem, half of our house is going to be empty. 

One thing I did notice early on in the video is she corrects Israel to respond with "Yes Maam" to her. I hope this is a regional thing and not a sign that she's emulating her parents parenting style. The whole "instant obedience" thing makes me uncomfortable. 

• Upvote 1
  • I Agree 3

5 hours ago, Daisy0322 said:

My son has the smaller room right now because we wanted to do some upgrades in the bigger non master bed room. Im pregnant again now and If this baby is a boy they'll probably end up sharing the big bedroom and we will make the smaller one a play room unless I magically get pregnant again (I found out my two are pretty much a miracle...I have about a 3% chance of getting pregnant with or without medical intervention due to a rare genetic  ovulation issue. 

Not to defend Jill but sometimes there's reasons. Like in our old house the bigger bedroom didn't heat well in the winter. I'd be interested to find out their plan if they have another baby. 

We just moved from a 700ish sqf apartment to a 2,500 ish sqf townhouse. The rule was we get the master bedroom, OneKid picks her room second and then husband and I get what is left over for our spaces.  

We were hoping for a four bedroom house but it didn’t work out. So in our new 3 bedroom house OneKid chose to have the smaller room so husband has the bigger one for his radios (ham guy) and his guitars.

I get the basement which is actually really nice. It is sunny and quiet.  

Added question: why does Israel still use that icky plastic bib? 

Edited by onekidanddone
  • Upvote 6

13 minutes ago, LacyMay said:

One thing I did notice early on in the video is she corrects Israel to respond with "Yes Maam" to her. I hope this is a regional thing and not a sign that she's emulating her parents parenting style. The whole "instant obedience" thing makes me uncomfortable. 

I've always been uncomfortable hearing parents tell their kids to refer to themselves as "sir" or "ma'am." It might be a regional thing, to my ears it almost always comes from an overly strict parent. I don't feel it's the same as asking that children refer to other adults that way. 

• Upvote 7
  • I Agree 10
  • Love 2

15 minutes ago, LacyMay said:

I think it's a regional thing but it could also be an obey thing. M is for Mama Abbie gloats about it here: http://misformama.net/2016/09/you-asked-i-attempted-to-answer-part-ii.html

Long-ass quote:

"Our children are required to say Yes/No Ma’am/Sir to every single adult they encounter. They are required to say “May I please” and, “Thank you” when they ask for/receive something. And they are required to make eye contact with the person with whom they’re speaking. “Yeah,” and “Okay” and “No,” are not acceptable responses. And they are required to do all of this with a cheerful attitude, instead of a sullen one.

Some of you are probably thinking: “Basic.”

Others are going: “Dude, they’re hardcore.”

Shaun is originally from the North where the Ma’ams and Sirs aren’t as much a thing as in the South, and he was originally skeptical of my wanting to do this. But now he’s TOTALLY on board.

Because here’s the thing that we have found with our children: respectful speech often dictates respectful actions. (It’s like that whole bit in James 3 about the tongue being like the small rudder that controls the whole big ship).

A slouchy, grouchy, “Yeah, Mom,” is often followed by dragging the feet and whining about a chore.

A cheerful, “Yes Ma’am,” is often followed by swift execution, which makes us all happier because I don’t have to nag or punish, and they’re done with the task more quickly."

• Sad 3
  • WTF 1

"You should blog about the achieving the degree in Theology that Derrick implied you have. Talk about how you balanced being a wife & mother with difficult college courses. How your religious beliefs were influenced or held strong while studying world religions, Middle East religions, cultural relativism, religious philosophy, social ethics & anthropological studies. That is a very difficult degree & many wives/mothers struggle to juggle their daily lives with achieving a higher degree. "

Quote from a poster on her instagram

Tongue in cheek comment or a sugar?!

• Upvote 5
  • Haha 7

I knew a lot of families growing up that insisted their kids call them "sir" and "ma'am" (as well as other adults). Luckily, it's not something my parents did but it's definitely a fairly popular practice. I could definitely see Kathy Dillard being the type as well. That alone doesn't give me pause but eh. I'm personally not a fan.

As for the house...I can understand why the office/harp share a large room. There's really nowhere else to put that harp (that the boys wouldn't get to) and there aren't any other rooms sizable enough for both. But I would put the kids in the larger of the other two bedrooms.  Or maybe they made the guest room larger in case some siblings (plus a baby or two) come over? No idea. It probably makes sense in their head and at the end of the day it's really not that big of a deal.

• Upvote 13

I don't understand why there's a giant chair in the boys room. There's hardly any room in there and it's practically in the middle of the room. It's unnecessary. 

• I Agree 2

20 minutes ago, OyToTheVey said:

I don't understand why there's a giant chair in the boys room. There's hardly any room in there and it's practically in the middle of the room. It's unnecessary. 

Is Jill still breastfeeding Sam? I had a chair in my kids’ rooms until they weaned because I needed somewhere comfortable to sit and all 3 times the last feed to be dropped was the last-thing-before-bed one. World Health Organisation recommends breastfeeding until at least 2, and with home birthing etc it wouldn’t surprise me if Jill leaned crunchy in some other ways.

• Upvote 14
  • Love 1

I bet they don’t have a basement or an attic to store all those tubs. Some parts of that area of the country can’t have basements because of rock. 

• Upvote 1

• samurai_sarah locked this topic