IGNORED

Dillards 78: Taste the Rainbow

Georgiana

Jill went to celebrate women's right to vote all by herself.  That's practically some first-wave feminism, lol. 

• Upvote 27

Hmmmm....Jill’s wearing the same dress Lauren Caldwell wore at her graduation.

• Upvote 2

I  99.8% guarantee you that Jill would tell you she's not a feminist.

• Upvote 17
  • I Agree 13
  • Love 1

I think what we’re starting to see with the Dillards are the effects of the demise of the ongoing easy money from the show. They no longer have the 24/7 ease of dropping the kids or hanging at the TTH with their family appointed BFFs. They are branching out, making friends and seeing different things. They are no longer insulated and isolated by the Duggar cocoon. Actually, they are the best family for this to happen to because DD does have and will continue to have the ability to support his family. In the long run, DD spouting off and getting the boot from TLC ( if that’s what actually happened) was the best thing that could have happened to the Dillards. And yes, their beliefs are still toxic.

Edited by SassyPants
  • Upvote 36

What about the politician who invited Jill to the tea? Is an alt-right politician or a moderate one?

• Upvote 2

12 minutes ago, Melissa1977 said:

What about the politician who invited Jill to the tea? Is an alt-right politician or a moderate one?

Right wing, if you are referring to the Governor of Arkansas.

• Upvote 6
  • Thank You 3

16 hours ago, Smee said:

I realise this delves into the “what is a fundie vs what is a conservative Christian”, but how does this work, exactly? I mean, I’m Christian and I believe the earth is millions of years old and dinosaurs existed before humans and evolution is not a satanic conspiracy... but I also believe the early chapters of Genesis are mythological in style and not meant to be interpreted as a literal account of history. I would think that approach to the bible would disqualify me from being fundie? Isn’t literal interpretation of every word of an infallible bible a “fundamental” of fundamentalism?

Honestly, in my experience, they try not to think too deeply about these things.  I know that sounds simplistic but most of the ones I knew made themselves simple people.  Keep your eyes on Jesus, don’t think, keep the faith bull crap.  What I found hard to believe is they thought  this made them better than everyone else.

I remember my ex FIL sending money to a grifter preacher, when I Asked him why, because we knew guy was a crook FIL told me he’s giving the money to God and therefore it’s God’s responsibility.  You just can’t reason with these people.

They also LOVE that bit in the Bible exhorting to call no man a fool, if they’re called a fool it makes all self righteous and the fool caller is going to Hell.  This makes the good Christian feel all warm and fuzzy as they wrap themselves in their ignorance.

I hate them.

• Upvote 14

4 hours ago, HereticHick said:

I  99.8% guarantee you that Jill would tell you she's not a feminist.

I'm 100% okay with that.  Labelling yourself a feminist can be very divisive and brings with it a lot of baggage/stereotypes, particularly in the world of conservative Christianity.  Jill's transformation from the obedient, judgy, tattling, prairie-dress-rocking girl to a fairly unremarkable conservative Christian mom has been a series of incremental steps.  

I may rag on Jill's frequently dumb and awkward social media, but she's become one of the most independent Duggars.  Imagine any other Duggar taking their kids to a museum that doesn't espouse young Earth creationism.  Imagine any other Duggar posting about personal responsibility as a Christian, or pics of her non-white/non-Christian friends, or attending an event to celebrate women's suffrage, or going to college classes. 

And I loathe Derick - he's hideous in so many ways - but he's generally pretty respectful of Jill on social media, and has tried to present his wife as smart (the idiotic college implication) and a good mom... unlike some of the other spouses (Books, I'm looking at you).  

I'm actually really interested to see what the Dillards will be like in ten years.  

Edited by acheronbeach
forgot a word
  • Upvote 38
  • Love 2

12 hours ago, lumpentheologie said:

Jill went to celebrate women's right to vote all by herself.  That's practically some first-wave feminism, lol. 

The comment section was interesting. One person was claiming that this post was laughable since the Duggar women have no rights. Both Jill and Derick told her she was wrong (Jill very briefly.) Derick went ahead and stated he would fully support Jill if she felt the Lord was leading her to run for Governor one day and he also stated in a separate comment that he would be fine voting for a female President. Not sure I really buy it, but I do find it more believable coming from him than any other Duggar or Duggar in-law. 

1 hour ago, acheronbeach said:

I'm 100% okay with that.  Labelling yourself a feminist can be very divisive and brings with it a lot of baggage/stereotypes, particularly in the world of conservative Christianity.  Jill's transformation from the obedient, judgy, tattling, prairie-dress-rocking girl to a fairly unremarkable conservative Christian mom has been a series of incremental steps.  

I may rag on Jill's frequently dumb and awkward social media, but she's become one of the most independent Duggars.  Imagine any other Duggar taking their kids to a museum that doesn't espouse young Earth creationism.  Imagine any other Duggar posting about personal responsibility as a Christian, or pics of her non-white/non-Christian friends, or attending an event to celebrate women's suffrage, or going to college classes. 

And I loathe Derick - he's hideous in so many ways - but he's generally pretty respectful of Jill on social media, and has tried to present his wife as smart (the idiotic college implication) and a good mom... unlike some of the other spouses (Books, I'm looking at you).  

I'm actually really interested to see what the Dillards will be like in ten years.  

It has been very interesting to watch the various offspring develop and change over the years. Especially when looking at which ones have strayed the most from what they were raised with. I don’t think anyone here five years ago would have thought Jill would have branched out from her family as much as she has recently. I think @SassyPants made an excellent point that this was likely more out of necessity to their circumstances changing after getting booted by TLC. Hopefully this ends up having a really positive impact on their children and they continue to have opportunities to learn and grow that their mother was denied when she was a kid. 

• Upvote 25

I'm thinking the Dullard's will be diving head fist into modern conservatism and Christianity, I see them fully ditching even fundy light rules and associations as Derrick gets more education and Jill spends more time with "regular" moms. I see the boys getting a public school education going to college I still see her having 2 more kids in a few years, but that is it.  I can see her also becoming a teachers aid when all the littles are in school so she's got something to do during the day, but will be home when they are.

It will be interesting to see where they are in 10 years. It will also be interesting to see where her buddy group will land, will they follow Jill's lead some what or will they loosen ties with her for being "worldly", especially Jenni, who seems to be one of the most neglected, along with Jordyn, kids.  

Jinger may be living in LA, but she's not got any newer better views on people & life, she just wears pants and watches Netflix now. Jill actually hangs out with Muslims, Hispanics and public college educated people. Jinger just sits next to Jeremy looking pretty, like he wants her to. 

• Upvote 14
  • I Agree 3

I am calling it. I believe that within the next 2-10 years, Jill will go to college.

As horrible as Derick is, he blogged about being proud of his mom for going back to school after having kids.

I wonder how the lives of the other Duggars would change if they were no longer on TLC.

What we are witnessing is Jill finding her OWN identity apart from being a mother and a Duggar... Whereas, Jessa has immersed herself in the identity of motherhood and being a rule-following Duggar.

Edited by luv2laugh
  • Upvote 14
  • I Agree 4

I watched Derick's latest live video. Some takeaways:

-Israel and Sam had just woken up from their nap and Derick kept saying saying that Jill was having tea at the Governor's Mansion but was on her way home, and he was happy about it so she could take care of the boys. ?

-They've been living in Little Rock for a month for his work. Presumably his summer law internship? The apartment doesn't seem to have any windows and has lots of Bible verse art on the walls, def looks like a church apartment to me.

-He had to ask Israel what grade he was in (it's kindergarten.)

-He mentioned the important of going to church for Christians. I was expecting him to say for everyone, so that was a bit surprising.

Other than that Israel and Sam spent the whole video watching a YouTube thing about how bacon is made (minus the slaughterhouse parts) and playing with light switches.

Edited by indianabones
Autocorrect mistakes! ?
  • Upvote 2
  • Thank You 14

I don’t know if I see the kids going to a public school or Jill going to college any time soon. I could see them going to a private Christian school (maybe Shiloh Baptist like Jim bob?). Once the kids are able to take care of themselves more, I could see her going to college. Jill seems so unpredictable that it’s hard to tell what her future looks like. 

• Upvote 7
  • I Agree 2

Jill seems to really admire Derick’s mother, Cathy. I think Cathy was part of the reason Jill decided it was OK for women to wear pants and work. 

Edited by luv2laugh
  • Upvote 12
  • I Agree 3

Derrick just commented that if Jill ran for Governor he would support her and vote for her.

Now one might argue that it’s bc she would represent his same beliefs and values...but the fact that he is open to her working outside the home and seems to encourage her to expand her horizons is a good thing. I think that while Derrick is def ultra conservative, he also values education and would support further education for her and a career if that’s what she chose to do.

• Upvote 11
  • Haha 1
  • I Agree 3

I went to the 75th anniversary celebration of women's suffrage at the governor's mansion in Atlanta.  I went with some of my friends from W.O.M.E.N. (Women's Oppression Must End Now.) at the University of Georgia.  I got to meet Jimmy and Rosalyn Carter because Jimmy was the governor in '74.  I think I had more fun, but I'm glad got to go to the tea.  

On the way to Atlanta, we women discussed the fact that Georgia had only ratified the Nineteenth Amendment four years earlier.

• Upvote 15
  • Love 8

6 minutes ago, Arkfundy said:

Derrick just commented that if Jill ran for Governor he would support her and vote for her.

Now one might argue that it’s bc she would represent his same beliefs and values...but the fact that he is open to her working outside the home and seems to encourage her to expand her horizons is a good thing. I think that while Derrick is def ultra conservative, he also values education and would support further education for her and a career if that’s what she chose to do.

Eh, I don't consider Derick to be a very reliable narrator. I also think it's a lot easier to say you'd hypothetically support your wife doing something you might not approve of when you know it's not something she'll ever do.  And I still don't see Jill doing any sort of non fundie approved job.

• Upvote 18
  • I Agree 3

As Jill gets out there in the world and tries new things, I wonder if she is aware of the deficits in her SODRT education.  Sitting in a lecture with Derrick must have been a real eye opener.  She will probably never tell the world at large this but, secretly, I bet Jill and Derrick have had some interesting late night conversations.   

• Upvote 8
  • I Agree 5

I may need to lay down again. I remember before they got married many had hopes of Derick opening Jill's world up a bit. Then of course it seemed like he fell down the Duggar hole for awhile. Now there are little glimmers here and there that Jill's world is expanding. I do think Cathy is a big influence on Jill. 

• Upvote 13
  • I Agree 1

35 minutes ago, TuringMachine said:

Eh, I don't consider Derick to be a very reliable narrator. I also think it's a lot easier to say you'd hypothetically support your wife doing something you might not approve of when you know it's not something she'll ever do.  And I still don't see Jill doing any sort of non fundie approved job.

This.  Notice he didn't say he would support her becoming a nurse or working as a licensed midwife, the latter of which is very attainable for Jill.  

Also, I agree that Derick likely isn't against Jill continuing her education, in theory.  In his usually misleading way, he implied Jill had a theology degree in the comments of his latest IG post.  However, he's not going to support it if it means he has to pick up some of Jill's work or it interferes with his career.  Sure, she can go to the ball as long as she's finished her chore list and made her own dress, but CinderJill doesn't have a fairy godmother. 

Please don't give Dillwank too much credit.

• Upvote 17
  • I Agree 8

I watched Derick's latest live video. Some takeaways:
-Israel and Sam had just woken up from their nap and Derick kept saying saying that Jill was having tea at the Governor's Mansion but was on her way home, and he was happy about it so she could take care of the boys. [emoji849]
-They've been living in Little Rock for a month for his work. Presumably his summer law internship? The apartment doesn't seem to have any windows and has lots of Bible verse art on the walls, def looks like a church apartment to me.
-He had to ask Israel what grade he was in (it's kindergarten.)
-He mentioned the important of going to church for Christians. I was expecting him to say for everyone, so that was a bit surprising.
Other than that Israel and Sam spent the whole video watching a YouTube thing about how bacon is made (minus the slaughterhouse parts) and playing with light switches.

Turned off in the first few minutes... his feet were on display, his fuggly feet [emoji2961]

• Haha 6

• samurai_sarah locked this topic