IGNORED

Dillards 78: Taste the Rainbow

Georgiana

12 hours ago, TuringMachine said:

I think they might be doing some sort of family planning. The way OfJill spoke it kinda sounded like not having a baby yet was intentional, but Jill's response kinda seemed like it wasn't? Or maybe they were just disagreeing on when would be a good time to start trying again?

Also sorry if my post above looked like I was being aggressive. I'm angry at the article, not you, for what seems like intentionally misrepresenting what was said in the video.

I haven't seen the video, so I don't now what their non-verbal language was, but from the dialogue that was posted here I thought maybe she was subtly reminding him that they must keep people guessing. Maybe they are both in agreement that it's not intentionally going to happen, but they can't tell people that directly because it's probably the main thing that brings views? After all, her parents' many children is what brought them to public attention and now lots of people are watching to see how many children the second generation is having. Them saying "yeah, we're happy with two, maybe we'll add a 3rd one at some point" is not going to get them money. You can look at your next door neighbours for that, you don't need Jill and Derrick.

I do think they are using some sort of birth control (but probably not hormonal), most likely a barrier method considering her x times per week sex post. I don't think Derrick wants a lot of children, even if they agreed in the beginning  to have as many as God gives them the reality of having children may have convinced him that a smaller number is ok. And whatever Jill's personal wishes are/were (although considering the indoctrination she was under all her unmarried life, who even knows what she really wants vs what she was told she should want), she was brought up to be submissive to her husband. And Derick's parents only had 2 kids and they are/were godly people (in their view), it can't be that bad to limit the number of kids, can it?

• Upvote 16

I missed this video but lately whenever I've seen theres a new post from Jill I'm half expecting it to be a baby announcement. Happy to hear that probably won't be the case for awhile. Has Cathy ever talked about why she *only* had two kids? I hope Jill can realize that it's OK to not want or actively try for children from the moment of "I Do" to menopause. 

The biologically impossible part does sound like typical Derick trying to sound smart and being an ass about semantics. 

• Upvote 12
  • I Agree 1

16 hours ago, nickelodeon said:

This is petty but the way that Derick is forever “correcting” people on pointless minutia is so fucking annoying. eg. that time Jill talked about the mouse that got into their kitchen and scurried over her foot — “actually you’re wearing boots so the mouse ran over your boot!” He’s always doing it when people engage with him on twitter. This “biologically impossible” comment seems like the same thing. Drives me bananas.

Exactly this. Remember the time he posted about a naturalized nephew or some other such bullshit? To me, Derrick sounds like the kind of person who wants to appear smarter than they are, but they fail because their vocabulary doesn’t really make sense.

• Upvote 20
  • I Agree 2
  • Love 4

1 hour ago, apandaaries said:

To me, Derrick sounds like the kind of person who wants to appear smarter than they are, but they fail because their vocabulary doesn’t really make sense.

I know this has been discussed before. 

But this trait must go over really well in law school... I would 100% be driven crazy by a peer who did this in real life. It would be a constant battle to not tell him/her that they are wrong. 

Edited by LacyMay
  • Upvote 4
  • Haha 2
  • I Agree 4
  • Love 1

9 minutes ago, LacyMay said:

But this trait must go over really well in law school... I would 100% be driven crazy by a peer who did this in real life. It would be a constant battle to not tell him/her that they are wrong. 

I’m pretty sure his classmates want to slap the stupid out of him on the regular, too. 

Edited by Lillymuffin
  • Upvote 13
  • I Agree 8
  • Love 1

The silly and petty part of me is glad that Jill may never have a daughter while Jessa does, meaning Jill lost whatever competition she may have thought she was winning when the sisters raced down the wedding aisles.  It's silly projection stuff, I feel the same way about a spoiled cousin of mine with two boys who doesn't have the life she expected.

• Upvote 1
  • I Agree 2

7 hours ago, raspberrymint said:

The silly and petty part of me is glad that Jill may never have a daughter while Jessa does, meaning Jill lost whatever competition she may have thought she was winning when the sisters raced down the wedding aisles.  It's silly projection stuff, I feel the same way about a spoiled cousin of mine with two boys who doesn't have the life she expected.

Who says they were competing for a daughter though? I always thought that at least at first Jill's idea of "winning" was to be the first married, first child, biggest quiver, etc., not necessarily gender specific.  And she lost that race as soon as Henry was born, or I suppose you could say she lost it when she had a C-section and Jessa didn't.

• Upvote 13
  • I Agree 1

On 7/19/2019 at 11:11 AM, HideousGreenShirt said:

His exact words were "we're not going to be pregnant this year" 

Jill responded with laughter and "how do you know?" 

He asked if she was hiding something from him and then said it was biologically impossible for them to have (not conceive) a baby this year. 

Then she changed the subject back to the meal. 

Maybe she's already pregnant again and hasn't told him yet.

• Haha 3
  • Love 1

Sounds like he’s playing a semantics game. They won’t have a BABY this year because there are only five months left in the year. She could be pregnant but they won’t have a born baby. That could be why he’s claiming it’s biologically impossible. (leaving out the preemie discussion)  It’s all about word play, teasing the hangers-on who are waiting for the next pregnant Duggar. Is she or isn’t she?? Inquiring minds want to know!! ?

• Upvote 7
  • I Agree 6

Who, at this point, even cares if any Duggar procreates or not? There will be an uncountable number of people with Duggar genes anyway but I‘m pretty sure the whole family has surpassed the peak of being interesting to people as there‘s just so many of them. Too many for people, who don‘t follow them as closely as FJers, to really keep up with the numbers, names and the who‘s who. Heck, even FJers can‘t seem to care. At least I don‘t. High five to the Dills if they decided that Sammy and Izzy are plenty enough. I doubt it, though. But by now, even the dullest members of these mega families must‘ve realized that there are large numbers of godly people with families limited in size and that there is a life of being godly beyond being quiverfull. 

That being said, I am not convinced Jill is that jealous of her sisters with girl babies. She‘s been shown in the past to dearly love on her nieces and nephews and I‘ve not seen anything that indicates she‘s actually jealous. She‘s raised Joy and Jenni already, maybe raising a girl was more familiar to her and she first had to adjust to having two boys. Hence the emphasis on being a boy mom. She‘s already followed into her MiL‘s footsteps, doesn‘t seem to me like she‘s unhappy ’bout it.

Edited by Pretzel
  • Upvote 19
  • I Agree 3

52 minutes ago, Pretzel said:

Who, at this point, even cares if any Duggar procreates or not? There will be an uncountable number of people with Duggar genes anyway but I‘m pretty sure the whole family has surpassed the peak of being interesting to people as there‘s just so many of them. Too many for people, who don‘t follow them as closely as FJers, to really keep up with the numbers, names and the who‘s who. Heck, even FJers can‘t seem to care. At least I don‘t.

I absolutly totally agree. Very well said. The Duggars are a fertility cult.

• Upvote 9
  • I Agree 5

I don't regularly follow the Duggar threads, as @Pretzel mentions, there are too many to easily keep track of and have become less interesting to me.  (Does that mean they've "jumped the snark"?)

That said, the Kama Sutra posting caught my eye, and I want to thank the poster who gave me a chuckle thinking about "Kama Sutra:  Legos Edition."  Whenever I need a chuckle, this does it for me!  Every once in a while, they supply us with a gem.  ?

• Upvote 7
  • Haha 9

Jill gets criticized for so much that I think sometimes people forget she's also just human. There *is* indeed a lot to criticize about her but I think when it comes to her nephews and nieces, her heart is in the right place. 

Spoiler

1. Jill cuddling Ivy Jane

2. Jill cuddling 'the grandchild' Gideon

3. Minutes 1:23, a short clip of Jill meeting Spurgy for the first time and showering him with kisses

I've seen Jill frequently comment on pics of Lissy, Ivy Jane, Meredith but also all the other babies in the family. Now, she could be incredibly jealous, but she could also just adore her siblings' children and be happy for them. Will we really know? 

Edited by Pretzel
  • Upvote 13
  • Bless Your Heart 1
  • I Agree 5

5 hours ago, Pretzel said:

Jill gets criticized for so much that I think sometimes people forget she's also just human. There *is* indeed a lot to criticize about her but I think when it comes to her nephews and nieces, her heart is in the right place. 

I've seen Jill frequently comment on pics of Lissy, Ivy Jane, Meredith but also all the other babies in the family. Now, she could be incredibly jealous, but she could also just adore her siblings' children and be happy for them. Will we really know? 

I agree I just found out I'm having my second boy and it's extremely unlikely I'll ever be able to conceive again (about 8% chance). I love my boys more than anything and would never trade them but I did always look forward to having a girl and seriously all my friends are expecting little girls right now. I am still very happy for them and don't project me wanting a functional mother daughter relationship on them. (My mom and I get along but she was never very maturnal). Jill could very well feel the same way. I do think she'd like a girl but I don't feel like it distracts from her enjoying her nieces. I do think the C Section was a big emotional blow for her though.

• Upvote 1
  • Love 16

7 hours ago, Pretzel said:

Hide contents

1. Jill cuddling Ivy Jane

2. Jill cuddling 'the grandchild' Gideon

3. Minutes 1:23, a short clip of Jill meeting Spurgy for the first time and showering him with kisses

I saw an article headline saying that she is jealous of Jessa having baby number 3. I just don't see it. Jill was the one on the show that seemed to enjoy being a buddy to her sibling's most and was the first one to get a buddy. Jill comes across as someone who just loves baby's and loves holding her niece's and nephew's. I haven't got a vibe that she is jealous of any of the pregnant Duggar's. 

• Upvote 9
  • I Agree 2

Maybe I’m missing something but I’ve never sensed any competition between Jill and Jessa. I know a lot of people talk about how she got married before Jessa but that was probably because Ben was so young. Jessa may be closer to Jinger but it doesn’t mean she dislikes Jill. We see such a tiny glimpse of their lives it’s hard to know what’s really going on.

• Upvote 8
  • I Agree 5

2 minutes ago, Cate32 said:

Maybe I’m missing something but I’ve never sensed any competition between Jill and Jessa. I know a lot of people talk about how she got married before Jessa but that was probably because Ben was so young. Jessa may be closer to Jinger but it doesn’t mean she dislikes Jill. We see such a tiny glimpse of their lives it’s hard to know what’s really going on.

I will say I never sensed competition for Jill but I think Jessa seemed a little competitive based on a few comments she made. Like how they got to be first to have a second baby and comments made during courting, etc

• Upvote 3

Really as much as JB and M touted how all the kids were each others’ friends, I personally don’t see those strong relationships in action. Aside from Jessa and Jinger in the earlier years, not so much anymore, I see no other strong connections.

• Upvote 10

21 minutes ago, SassyPants said:

Really as much as JB and M touted how all the kids were each others’ friends, I personally don’t see those strong relationships in action. Aside from Jessa and Jinger in the earlier years, not so much anymore, I see no other strong connections.

that is because they have met their new BEST FRIENDS 

their spouses 

• Upvote 12
  • Haha 17

3 hours ago, Daisy0322 said:

I will say I never sensed competition for Jill but I think Jessa seemed a little competitive based on a few comments she made. Like how they got to be first to have a second baby and comments made during courting, etc

I don't think this is strictly competitiveness with Jill. I think that's just Jessa being Jessa we've seen her being sort of snappy towards Jana before too. I think her personality is just more blunt and straightforward and maybe lacking in tact. 

I don't know the best way to say it without saying that I think Jessa is just mean sometimes. That said I do think she's gotten much better in recent years and I really haven't picked up on any recent hints at jealousy/competition from either of them. 

• Upvote 4

1 hour ago, LacyMay said:

I don't think this is strictly competitiveness with Jill. I think that's just Jessa being Jessa we've seen her being sort of snappy towards Jana before too. I think her personality is just more blunt and straightforward and maybe lacking in tact. 

I don't know the best way to say it without saying that I think Jessa is just mean sometimes. That said I do think she's gotten much better in recent years and I really haven't picked up on any recent hints at jealousy/competition from either of them. 

Jessa and Ben come off rather competitive in general. I think that is just them. I've yet to see something that proves Jill being competitive or jealous. Like stated before, I just don't see it. Jill is *totally* weird, but in a refreshingly authentic way she is mostly just being Jill. 

• Upvote 3
  • I Agree 4

4 hours ago, Pretzel said:

Jessa and Ben come off rather competitive in general. I think that is just them. I've yet to see something that proves Jill being competitive or jealous. Like stated before, I just don't see it. Jill is *totally* weird, but in a refreshingly authentic way she is mostly just being Jill. 

Ben did joke when Jill announced she was having Izzy that they beat them again but I doubt there was any real competition between them. They just started courting around the same time and they were getting compared to each other. 

Jill and Jessa have completely different personalities and probably were not the closest growing up but I don't see them having any real issues with each other, they may have butted heads at points but that is normal for siblings.

• Upvote 7
  • I Agree 1

5 hours ago, Pretzel said:

Yeah, this is how I’ve looked at it for a long time now. I don’t think they’re really, seriously competing against one another. I think it’s just a combination of the couples starting to court around the same time, Benessa jokingly mentioning how the Dills “beat them” at certain things, and Jill and Jessa just having very different personalities. Personally, I’d say both couples win and lose - they all win because everyone appears to have gotten through the various deliveries safely despite multiple complications and they all lose because they’re still enmeshed in whatever form of fundamentalism each couple subscribes to.

Maybe Jill really would love to have a daughter. I don’t see anything inherently wrong with that as a lot of people would secretly like to have one or the other. It’s not something that’s fundie specific. She seems genuinely happy with her two boys though and I don’t sense any jealousy on her part when it comes to her siblings having daughters. It’s entirely possible she’s just excited to have so many nieces because it offers the chance for her to do stereotypical girl stuff with them in the future.*

*In non-Fundie families this wouldn’t matter so much. I think more families in the states are becoming more open minded about gender norms and stereotypes, though there’s obviously still a long way to go. I don’t see the Duggars being ok with, for instance, Spurgeon or Israel going to get their nails painted at a salon the way my sister and I wouldn’t mind if our sons wanted to do the same. So I think it’s very possible that Jill is both genuinely happy with her boys and also genuinely happy to have nieces she can eventually take out for “girl” time activities.

13 hours ago, Daisy0322 said:

I agree I just found out I'm having my second boy and it's extremely unlikely I'll ever be able to conceive again (about 8% chance). I love my boys more than anything and would never trade them but I did always look forward to having a girl and seriously all my friends are expecting little girls right now. I am still very happy for them and don't project me wanting a functional mother daughter relationship on them. (My mom and I get along but she was never very maturnal). Jill could very well feel the same way. I do think she'd like a girl but I don't feel like it distracts from her enjoying her nieces. I do think the C Section was a big emotional blow for her though.

How exciting! Congratulations on another little boy! My sister has two boys and she absolutely loves it. :) 

• Upvote 8
  • Thank You 1

6 hours ago, Pretzel said:

ben was the one who was competitive with jill and derick. He even said to derick in the first episode they met that it was a race to see who would get engaged.

jessa was laxidaxial because ben was 17 when they met and 19 when they married and she is 3 years older than him

• Upvote 3

4 hours ago, VelociRapture said:

How exciting! Congratulations on another little boy! My sister has two boys and she absolutely loves it. :) 

Thank you! We are super excited! We are actually letting the oldest decorate the baby's room because once they are both ready we plan on them sharing so we can use the spare bedroom as a play room for awhile. He chose baseball of course because he is obsessed and he is already running around telling people about how baby brother play ball too ? So hopefully his little brother will at least not mind baseball. He is almost two and has played a few hours a day since he was introduced opening day this year. We took him to his first in person game this weekend and the obsession only grew. The best part is that me and my husband aren't Into sports at all so we are having to learn a lot. I think my husband is secretly hoping that the next one will be into working on bikes with him. 

Edited by Daisy0322
  • Upvote 8
  • Love 8

• samurai_sarah locked this topic