IGNORED

Dillards 78: Taste the Rainbow

Georgiana

So nice of Jill to turn out for pride month. :pb_rollseyes: The month was getting long, I was afraid she'd forgotten.

• Upvote 2
  • Haha 9

So messy. I'm laughing and cringing at the same time. Why even buy and post the book at all then. Bet that will be a fun conversation with the family. 

Off to ponder about a "cleaner" version of a book about sex positions...

• Upvote 6
  • Haha 21

10 hours ago, Chewing Gum said:

You can look at it here, gossipy clip, but I couldn't find anything better.

I found a copy of it:
https://duggars.tumblr.com/post/173048271143/source-derick-ig-live-video

You can hear Michelle yelling at Jenni around the 1:27 mark. Before that you can see poor little Sam strapped to a car seat right next to some of the boys throwing a ball around. Super safe.

• Upvote 1
  • Sad 2
  • Thank You 7

1 hour ago, bella8050 said:

Off to ponder about a "cleaner" version of a book about sex positions...

The illustrations are of legos.

• Upvote 1
  • Haha 38
  • Love 3

The whole update makes me feel Aok with my initial feeling of disinterest/meh/Jill flails in the wake of her procreating siblings.

"All that she wants is another baby..."

Edited by AliceInFundyland
  • Upvote 9

I just think it’s dumb to post retractions. Let everyone freak out if they want to. There is nothing wrong with an adult couple looking at a book like the Kama Sutra if they want to. “It’s non- biblical” is an unoriginal criticism. Why shouldn't Jill post whatever she likes?

“Pooh, prudery!”

-GBS, in Man and Superman

• Upvote 15

Well, from a PR perspective Jill is really stuck between a rock and a hard place. 

Half of her followers are fundies who follow her for the Bible quotes, half are reality TV fans who follow for the drama/the entertainment of the cult girl exploring the world. 

She satisfied the second crowd with the last post, and got a huge backlash from the first. Now she’s appeasing the first while angering the second. There’s no winning here, and she probably has to accept that in the long run she can only maintain one of these follower bases. 

• Upvote 17
  • I Agree 5

6 minutes ago, FundieCentral said:

Well, from a PR perspective Jill is really stuck between a rock and a hard place. 

Half of her followers are fundies who follow her for the Bible quotes, half are reality TV fans who follow for the drama/the entertainment of the cult girl exploring the world. 

She satisfied the second crowd with the last post, and got a huge backlash from the first. Now she’s appeasing the first while angering the second. There’s no winning here, and she probably has to accept that in the long run she can only maintain one of these follower bases. 

Eh. I don’t think the Duggars are concerned about pleasing their followers who engage with them for the “freak show” factor or hate-follow. Those people follow Jill specifically for the weird or cringe factor— posts like the Kama Sutra clarification are comedy gold. They’d follow Jill whether she broke free or continued to be weird cult girl because both of those things are entertaining. 

So really the retraction is a win win... hate followers get to snark, Christian moms and teens can rest easy because Jill is still wholesome with her “clean, edited” Kama Sutra (lol).

• Upvote 13

20 minutes ago, FundieCentral said:

This is why JB's method of not working for the man or educating his gaggle of children does not work. Wouldn’t it be easier if the Dillards ( and all of the Duggars)went the conventional route and just had regular, non media or consumer dependent jobs? 

• Upvote 5

10 hours ago, TuringMachine said:

I found a copy of it:
https://duggars.tumblr.com/post/173048271143/source-derick-ig-live-video

You can hear Michelle yelling at Jenni around the 1:27 mark. Before that you can see poor little Sam strapped to a car seat right next to some of the boys throwing a ball around. Super safe.

While that is a rare glimpse into the 'real' family dynamics and my guess would be that it is fairly typical with them, I would consider Michelle mildly scolding/correcting Jennifer rather than yelling at her. And my guess about it being typical for them is because after the scolding and Jennifer's turned back, she immediately follows and is right behind her mom as they walk down the hallway, so Jennifer is used to it, sadly. In any regard, it is telling to see Michelle being punitive and immediately flip to her fake sweet smile. Ugh.

For over a year I've been wanting to comment about Sam in his carseat or stroller. More than any of the other 2nd and now 3rd gens, he has been contained for most of his public/social life. I know kids sometimes need to be constrained in their carseats and stroller, but Sam has nearly always been locked down in their social portrayal of him. What's the deal? 

Have any of you noticed this about Sam? Is it just me making assumptions? (heh-heh)

• Upvote 13

In the context of the full video, I thought Michelle’s interaction with Jenni was not a big deal. She didn’t sound angry to me, though apparently she makes an effort not to raise her voice when she scolds her kids. Sam sitting around outdoors in his car seat bugs me much more.

If the Duggars did tell Derick to knock it off with the live videos in their home, I think that’s totally understandable. I’m still not sure they’re really estranged, but if they’re closer to Derick’s family than Jill’s, that’s fine for everyone.

• Upvote 17
  • I Agree 6
  • Thank You 1

Jill is so clueless about social media. She needs to get off instagram for a bit and say "What do I like? What makes me happy?" Find that thing and enjoy it. She's trying to so hard to be something that she isn't, and it's not working out for her. It's like trying to ram a square peg into a round hole. 

• Upvote 16
  • I Agree 8
  • Love 1

Haha, that wasn’t yelling at all. I’ve watched the older girls say on camera that when Michelle is scolding she gets quiet. Definitely what was going on. Honestly, it didn’t seem like a big deal.

Jill just isn’t good at social media. It is a shame, I think she could have been someone who would have thrived had she been able to become a nurse or had some kind job. 

Whywhywhy post about the Kama Suta if you’re not actually going to read it? Jill should educate herself on the text for real. I guess that’s too much for them. The whole disclaimer is hilarious. Pick a lane Jill!

• Upvote 13
  • I Agree 2
  • Love 1

2 hours ago, QuiverFullofBooks said:

In the context of the full video, I thought Michelle’s interaction with Jenni was not a big deal. She didn’t sound angry to me, though apparently she makes an effort not to raise her voice when she scolds her kids. Sam sitting around outdoors in his car seat bugs me much more.

Yeah, I agree. I missed the original discussion about it when the live stream happened, and now that I've watched it I think Michelle barely even yelled. She did sound annoyed her kid(s) did something they were told not to do and we have absolutely no idea in what context she said this. Millions of parents say/yell the same thing(s) at their kids every single day. Without knowing whether Michelle had a solid reason to be angry, I'd be rather reluctant to judge her based on the three seconds in a live stream that she didn't even know happened at the time she was dealing with her kids and whatever it is they did to upset her. I know it's Michelle, but really no parent wants to be filmed for everyone to see when they're angry at their kid and telling them they did something wrong. I have no idea whether to give her a pass on that or not but based on how everyone behaved and given Michelle moved on from telling off Jenni BEFORE she saw Derick was filming, I assume it was a rather minor thing. She left Jenni with "and now, without permission, you are not supposed to do that" ? So, mew. No idea what it was about, but nothing that doesn't happen in billions of other families with kids too, and Jenni seemed pretty unimpressed. 

Edited by Pretzel
  • Upvote 17
  • I Agree 5

That video to me wasn't that big of a deal. Not that I like michelle but anyone with kids has used the "mom voice" before and it's not a crime to get annoyed with your child for not listening.   Doesn't mean I don't turn around and be nice to someone else a second later. i didn't  hear her say anything super hurtful if I recall. For example  I mean it's one thing to say now I asked you to pick that up before your little brother got into it, your things are your responsibilities. Rather than "stop being lazy and listen the first time, this is why no one likes you." 

I grew up with the second version and I was first attracted to the duggars because of how nicely they talked to their kids on camera. Then I started realizing the darker side. I actually thought it was a good thing in the video Jenni was showing emotion that seemed she appropriate for someone disagreeing with their mom. 

• Upvote 12
  • Love 5

I just saw this new thread title.  Bwahahahaha!!!!!  ????

• Haha 2

3 hours ago, BlondeIdol said:

Haha, that wasn’t yelling at all. I’ve watched the older girls say on camera that when Michelle is scolding she gets quiet. Definitely what was going on. Honestly, it didn’t seem like a big deal.

Sorry this is a weird linguistic quirk of mine (perhaps a regional?) I use yell at to mean scold, not raise one's voice.

• Upvote 2
  • Thank You 1

I am sure Derrick knows what the Kama Sutra is all about. I haven’t read it and I know. It’s pretty common knowledge for people who have been out in the world like Derrick. I think he knew Jill didn’t know and had to have known there would be a backlash but didn’t care. I think Jill was basically set up to look like a fool and Derrick knew it. I think Derrick tells Jill to make write about certain things and approves it, she gets all the backlash and then Jill has to clean up her posts. Derrick doesn’t get any blame and he was likely the puppeteer. 

• Upvote 12
  • I Agree 4
  • Love 1

I don't think the issue with Dwrecks livestream was that Michelle was sharp with Josie (and no, I don't think it was a big deal). I think it was the fact that they were filmed without their approval and didn't have time to put on their TV-faces (in every meaning of that word). They don't like it when they are exposed. And I can sort of get that. 

• Upvote 6

My only problem with the livestream is that to me it proves they are fake on TV. When they said that Michelle tells her kids off in a quiet voice they were obviously lying to keep a good image. I hate when people lie for absolutely no reason. So what if she told Jenni off, most of the world's population probably do that when their kids are naughty. If they had been honest about it there would've been no hate and people would've accepted it as just being a normal thing to do. There's no reason to lie. 

Edited by jillsdopplerofdoom
  • Upvote 5
  • Love 1

Regarding her base of followers, it baffles me why anyone critical of the Duggars would follow them on socials and thus contribute to the likelyhood of them getting sponsorships, etc due to follower count. You could just book mark their page or check occasionally. Why follow them?

• Upvote 7
  • I Agree 3
  • Thank You 2

7 hours ago, jillsdopplerofdoom said:

My only problem with the livestream is that to me it proves they are fake on TV. When they said that Michelle tells her kids off in a quiet voice they were obviously lying to keep a good image. 

Was that a loud voice to you? It didn't seem particularly loud nor particularly quiet to me. She emphasized the 'NOT...do that', but she wasn't yelling in a loud voice by any means. Does it prove what they said was a lie? I'm not sure. Sometimes what's being said to you when you're being yelled at or when someone's raising their voice can be less terrible than what they say to you when they get really calm and serious. 

• Upvote 7
  • I Agree 5

The thing that made me cringe a bit (other than Sam in the car seat right where he could get hit with the ball) was how messy/chaotic that house looks. Like I am in the middle of packing to move and my house does not look like that. I will admit it is taking twice as long because I had to stop today to fix the chaos we made over the past couple of days, but that is just a normal day for them. I don't mean to be critical to anyone and I do get they have a big family, but in my memory of the old show I was always mildly impressed that such a big house with so many people stayed relatively neat. I was wrong, of course that was just for TV. I personally would not do well there. Also it was so busy. Just wow. That was a fascinating look into their actual lives. They should be more honest, like they say they are. I do have to side with the OG Duggar fam if they banned Dwreck from live filming there. I would be really mad too if I was filmed with out knowing and streamed out, and if my home was.

• Upvote 6

• samurai_sarah locked this topic