IGNORED

Dillards 78: Taste the Rainbow

Georgiana

My wife and I chose a new surname for both of us.  Neither of us have much contact with our families (for reasons) or live near them.

• Upvote 6
  • Love 6

45 minutes ago, Iamtheway said:

Miniway has my grandad’s name as one of his middle names. It’s also my dad’s middle name. And then he has Mr Way’s dad’s name as his other middle name. 

My grandmother actually had a brother that shares Miniway’s first name, but he is not named after him at all since I never met him.

Both my grandfathers were amazing and my sister named her oldest after the other one. So if you need an awesome grandad name I offer you Erik. Good solid name. Genuine great guy. :)

Aw! I actually knew a guy named Erik. He was nice enough, but we had a fallout a few years back and I haven’t seen or spoken to him since. So Erik is out simply because it’d make me think of him and how our friendship ended on a bad note.

We’re currently thinking of either Brandon or Samuel. I like Brandon because I’m of Irish descent and there’s a Mount Brandon in Ireland, so it’d be a subtle nod to my family. It also starts with a similar sound to the name my dad and BIL share, which would be a mini way to honor them both without having a third person with that exact name in the family. I also love the fact that the nickname “Bran” means “Raven” because I’m a big fan of Edgar Allan Poe’s work and it’d be a very subtle tribute to my favorite poem by him.

Samuel is just a name we both kind of like and we think it’d be cute to call him Sam like the character in “The Lord of the Rings,” since our dog has the same name as a Dwarf character in, “The Hobbit” (that’s the name the shelter gave her, but we liked it and felt it fit her. We both do like Tolkien and LOTR though.)

Knowing husband though, he won’t be able to pick between them and I’ll just have to pick on my own. Or give him another batch of options. Lol!

• Upvote 3
  • Love 10

7 hours ago, SorenaJ said:

Why do people think it is a problem with a long name/surname? You literally never have to write it out.

5 Letters 8 letters-7 letters, MS, RN, CCRN...... about 25 times per day, minimum..... Ditched that hypnenated name as soon as I ditched the practice husband....

• Upvote 1
  • Haha 14
  • Love 1

12 minutes ago, Four is Enough said:

5 Letters 8 letters-7 letters, MS, RN, CCRN...... about 25 times per day, minimum..... Ditched that hypnenated name as soon as I ditched the practice husband....

Yeah okay, fair enough. If I had to write my name 25 times a day I would probably have called myself Amy Lee or something. 

• Upvote 1
  • Haha 7

7 hours ago, SorenaJ said:

Why do people think it is a problem with a long name/surname? You literally never have to write it out. 

I'm 9Letters 7Letters-7Letters, (not including my middle name or professional designations) 10 syllables total. It doesn't fit on customs declaration cards at airports (I fly internationally a lot). I had to write out my full name whenever I write an exam (14-18 times per 10 week semester). My work requires a full name as part of the secure login, so I have to type that out multiple times a day. So yeah... I literally always have to write it out. It's a pain. No way are my kids getting a hyphenated name, it's the worst.

• Upvote 6

3 hours ago, VelociRapture said:

Aw! I actually knew a guy named Erik. He was nice enough, but we had a fallout a few years back and I haven’t seen or spoken to him since. So Erik is out simply because it’d make me think of him and how our friendship ended on a bad note.

We’re currently thinking of either Brandon or Samuel. I like Brandon because I’m of Irish descent and there’s a Mount Brandon in Ireland, so it’d be a subtle nod to my family. It also starts with a similar sound to the name my dad and BIL share, which would be a mini way to honor them both without having a third person with that exact name in the family. I also love the fact that the nickname “Bran” means “Raven” because I’m a big fan of Edgar Allan Poe’s work and it’d be a very subtle tribute to my favorite poem by him.

Samuel is just a name we both kind of like and we think it’d be cute to call him Sam like the character in “The Lord of the Rings,” since our dog has the same name as a Dwarf character in, “The Hobbit” (that’s the name the shelter gave her, but we liked it and felt it fit her. We both do like Tolkien and LOTR though.)

Knowing husband though, he won’t be able to pick between them and I’ll just have to pick on my own. Or give him another batch of options. Lol!

Sam is a really cute nickname! I know a cool Samuel. Having a second child called Samuel would be something you and Jill have in common though ... :think:

Is your daughter Isabella, nicknamed Izzy? :shock:

Brandon makes me think of Beverly Hills (the original) but I think that’s mostly because it’s not a common name here so I have no one else to associate it with. 

It’s hard to find a great name and especially when you have to agree with another person about it. Good luck with the choice! 

• Upvote 1
  • Thank You 1

@VelociRapture,  we had a cat about 40 years ago named Sam Gamgee.  I was reading LOTR when he arrived at our doorstep.   Sam just seemed fitting for the little waif.

• Upvote 2
  • Love 4

4 hours ago, MiddleAgedLady said:

Remember Jill refereed to herself as a #BoyMom here is a blogpost talking about this trendy phenomenon. 

https://jezebel.com/battle-hymn-of-the-boymom-1836647103

Liked this sentence (which sums up the “we get to be part of the Boys Club and are elevated above mere women” mentality):

Here, to be a boymom is to be a steward for little, gurgling vessels of stereotypical masculinity, a feminine traveler in a foreign world of action figures, mud-stained clothing, and gross-out humor.

Also side eyeing the quotes about how “boymoms” are always cleaning up poop and toys...apparently under the impression that girl children are born litterbox trained and just sit around listening to NPR.

• Upvote 16
  • Haha 3
  • I Agree 2
  • Love 5

13 hours ago, SorenaJ said:

Why do people think it is a problem with a long name/surname? You literally never have to write it out. I have only ever had to write out my name (not even full, just first and last) for exams and registering with a GP, and once in full when I had to fill in my details for my PhD. And everything is on the computer. The computer memorises your name so you never have to write it out, just as it saves your email/password/address etc. Everything is online. You will never have to write out your name in full. It is really a non-issue, says the person who is planning on giving her future kids 5 names and a long hyphenated surname, and I am not the slightest worried about the time it'll take for me/them to write their name. All forms and stuff will be digital. And so what if it takes an extra 5 seconds? 

My kid has a 7 digit first name, 2 5-digit middle names, and a 3-digit last name. Getting her passport recently took a minor argument, because that it her name and it all needs to be there. Similar issues on some other paperwork. 

I, too, have to login with my first and last name at work, and I’m glad it’s not hyphenated because it already eats up a bunch of time (shared computers, so no saved passwords ?) . I still love my kid’s more complicated name, but I can see why people would have issues with these longer names. 

• Upvote 3

@SorenaJ I'm with you on that one. And my name is freaking long. I'm 8letters 10letters-7letters and I'm damn proud to have hyphenated names. Seriously, I prefer to take the time and use them both. It is not like it takes 10 minutes either. Maybe it will take me 20 seconds instead of 10.

It is true though I learned early on to write quite small, in order to make my name fit sometimes in small spaces depending on the form. ?

• Upvote 4
  • Haha 2

7 hours ago, VelociRapture said:

We’re currently thinking of either Brandon or Samuel.

You can't go wrong with Bramuel! ?

• Upvote 2
  • Haha 27
  • I Agree 1

My first will have a 4 digit first name and an 8 digit surname if a girl...  and an 8 digit first name if a boy, but a 4 digit first name will happen eventually.

• Upvote 1

3 minutes ago, indianabones said:
7 hours ago, VelociRapture said:

We’re currently thinking of either Brandon or Samuel.

You can't go wrong with Bramuel! ?

Or Sandon! which happens to be a ghost mining town in Canada!  https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sandon,_British_Columbia

8 hours ago, VelociRapture said:

I also love the fact that the nickname “Bran” means “Raven” because I’m a big fan of Edgar Allan Poe’s work and it’d be a very subtle tribute to my favorite poem by him.

Also a fan! And I love a good subtle tribute.

• Upvote 4
  • Haha 2

It’s not necessarily the number of letters, but the fact that DH and I both have to spell our surnames out multiple times every single time we say them. Add to that, he has to say his first name at least three times, then spell it, and I have to spell mine multiple times because people rarely get it right even after a few tries.

I’d never heard his surname before I met him, and my old surname is a long common one with an alternative spelling. Wanting my kids to have half the hassle is okay, but I wish in hindsight that I’d made them suck it up.

While others aren’t bothered by their names being pronounced or spelt incorrectly, it really annoys me.

It’s okay to accept that other people feel differently about things.

• Upvote 3
  • Love 1

I took my maiden name back when I divorced my X...more of a way of letting go of the 7 years of hell. I can tell you that when Mr. Xtian and I got hitched I HAPPILY took his last name. My maiden name is long. 11 letters, VERY ethnic and always mispronounced. Mr. Xtian's last name is 6 letters, stereotypically American, easy to spell and damn near impossible to mispronounce. As a soon to be widow (damn that hurts), I will keep his last name. I have no intention of ever remarrying, that ain't happening...no thank you so I will be Mrs. Short last name for the rest of my life. 

• Love 34

I like Brandon and Samuel, both would be great choices. I’d probably lean more towards Sam, though. It would also depend on your daughters name, because I like “sib set” names. 

I know a Sandon and he’s hot AF. 

I’m 6 letters, 5 letters, and 10 letters. It’s a pain writing it out so my signature is just the initial of my first name and then my last name. 

Edited by viii
  • Upvote 4

10 hours ago, Iamtheway said:

Sam is a really cute nickname! I know a cool Samuel. Having a second child called Samuel would be something you and Jill have in common though ... :think:

I like Samuel, it's my cousin's name so I couldn't use it though, it would be too weird for me even though I'm sure he'd be completely flattered if I did.

• Upvote 2

16 hours ago, VelociRapture said:

Both are really great names.

• I Agree 2
  • Thank You 1

I named my dog "Bran" because I was looking for a food-related name and somehow we ended up with that. He's kind of a dick, but very handsome... I kid, but obviously I really like Bran / Brandon :) though if you decide to name your firstborn son after food, I recommend "Taffy"

I wanted to hyphenate when I discussed marriage with two previous exes, though I thought the combos sounded funny because the combinations would end in -ley -ley (with the second one being -ley Lee, lol)

My first name ends with an -ie, so for example my name would be Maggie Whitley-Riley, or Katie Findley-Lee (no disrespect to people with name combos like this)

Edited by precious blessing
  • Upvote 5

I am currently seeing someone whose last name happens to be my grandmother's maiden name, I like my last name and it's part of my Irish heretage so I would maybe consider giving any children a double barrelled name. If I had a boy I would want to use the names John and Thomas as middle names, John after both my great grandfather and uncle who past away and about 10 other family members and Thomas after my Papa. For a girl I would like to use Elizabeth as a middle name after my Great Aunt who died in December. If I was pregnant now I would struggle with a first name for any child, any name I like seems to get used by friends or family members or I go off it.

• Upvote 4

I have an extremely unusual last name. Pretty much if there is someone  with the name or a variant there is a good chance we are related. I have a ‘cousin’ I met through Facebook. We had a FB friend in common and she noticed my last name. She asked if I knew. A(insert last name here) or a H(insert slightly different spelling of last name here) Yea I knew them seeing as one was my uncle and one was my dad!

She had heard family stories about my dad, his brothers and my grandmother growing up.  She is kinda sorta related by marriage and a stepmom.  We just call each other cousin. My dad died before all this happened, but if had know of her he would have called family. 

My husband has a rather plain standard kind of boring last name.  No way I would ever change my name to it. I was already a mom when I married so my kid has my last name and she wants to keep it. 

Oh and one more thing.  The FB friend we have in common it turns out she is related through adoption and we met when we belonged to the same congregation. Totally out of nowhere. I just call her cousin as well. 

• Upvote 5
  • Love 1

On 8/17/2019 at 3:32 PM, nickelodeon said:

Liked this sentence (which sums up the “we get to be part of the Boys Club and are elevated above mere women” mentality):

Also side eyeing the quotes about how “boymoms” are always cleaning up poop and toys...apparently under the impression that girl children are born litterbox trained and just sit around listening to NPR.

Mother of girl dragons here. When Cloudlet #2 was in elementary school, she and her friend came up with a lovely game called “so you think you can burp”. And no, they do not come litter box trained.  

• Upvote 2
  • Haha 14
  • Love 2

• samurai_sarah locked this topic