IGNORED

Dillards 78: Taste the Rainbow

Georgiana

@PlentyOfJesusFishInTheSea you wouldn't be counted against, as it's one of those things so many people do wrong now it's...less wrong? But still. I thought people here would like to know. ?

Edited by backyard sylph
new page thing
  • Upvote 2
  • Thank You 1

8 hours ago, Don'tlikekoolaid said:

Derick is doing clerical work for the law school he’s attending.  Someone in another group posted his job listing and email address.  I think it was bad that his email address was posted, but it was and has subsequently been removed.  I don’t know how many hrs a week he works but don’t think he’s making bigly (fuck Trump) money.

Good that he's working, but is this considered to be a desirable sort of job for a law student?  Might it help him find a good position once he gets his degree?

• Upvote 4

1 hour ago, PlentyOfJesusFishInTheSea said:

Oh man, really?  Pretty sure I've been doing it wrong. *grammar sob*

In my head Ms is short for Myself.

@Dandruff IDK, maybe someone here who knows law school things could tell us. From what I understand he’s doing clerical work, not work on cases.

• Upvote 4

I want to add while I enjoy being Mrs Daisy .... I HATE Mr. & Mrs. Husband first name Husband last name.  I have a name and my husband is not my identity. I would prefer Last Name Family  or even Mr and Mrs last name since that is both of us but why on earth would I go by my husbands first name? 

• Upvote 26
  • I Agree 4

A lot of forms that you submit have a space for the title of you choice.  That's fine if one of the usual gendered or professional titles fits, but I have yet to see a form that accepts a non-gendered non-professional title.  

• Upvote 2

I’ve always thought Mrs. is for use with husband’s last name. Ms is for those that didn’t change their last name at marriage. 

Ex: Jane Doe marries Bob Smith. No names are changed. 

She is Ms Jane Doe. Never Mrs Jane Doe

• Confused 1
  • WTF 1
  • I Agree 2

9 hours ago, lumpentheologie said:

I'm married and will never use Mrs. if I can help it.  No one has addressed me that way yet, but I did tell my family at my wedding that I would continue to go by Ms. in formal settings.  But I didn't change my name either.  I don't think it's anyone's business if I'm married or not, and I really don't like being defined by being married.  I don't even wear my wedding ring most of the time.  

DH and I aren't big on symbolism, we are married, the rings are societies guide to tell you who is married. I wish we could do away with the Ms/Mrs and just leave it Ms. be done with it.  

Edited by allthegoodnamesrgone
  • Upvote 5
  • I Agree 2

4 hours ago, Dandruff said:

Good that he's working, but is this considered to be a desirable sort of job for a law student?  Might it help him find a good position once he gets his degree?

I was wondering the same thing. Is this comparable with the type of internships that other first year law students would be doing? More/less desirable?

• Upvote 4

As far as I’ve come across in the UK. 

Miss - non married woman 

Mrs - Married woman 

Ms - Usually a divorcee still using previous husbands last name 

• Upvote 1
  • Confused 1

We just did a cruise with our 15 year old grandson. His ticket said Master Wolf. I thought Master was for small boys. 

• Upvote 1

Is his title “law clerk”? That doesn’t mean you’re doing clerical work, it means you’re doing legal research. Being employed directly by the law school would be a little odd, but being a research assistant for a professor would be a normal, respectable job for the summer after the first year of law school.

• Upvote 11
  • Thank You 4

10 hours ago, Don'tlikekoolaid said:

In my head Ms is short for Myself.

I love this in such a deep, self-actualizing way that you cannot possibly know how much I appreciate it. We women are just ourselves and our titles don't need to be dependent on our relationship statuses. Beautiful.

Edited by ViolaSebastian
  • Upvote 13
  • I Agree 1
  • Thank You 1
  • Love 5

23 hours ago, SorenaJ said:

I would pronounce Mx "mix". I feel like if women are married, they would choose Mrs. You don't hear Mr and Ms. 

I will forever be Ms. even though I'm married. I don't know anyone my age (early 30s) in an urban north eastern city who goes by Mrs. The exception might be on a wedding day when they announce 'Mr  and Mrs Smith!" after the ceremony.

Actually I almost never hear Miss, Ms, or Mrs. In situations where I'm introduced to a stranger it would be 'This is Jane Doe', the reply is usually "Nice to meet you" or  "Nice to meet you, Jane"-- more rarely,  "Nice to meet you Ms. Doe".

The more I think about it the more I'm realizing almost no one uses names in conversation after the initial intro, except to get someone's attention (ex. if they drop something). Maybe worry about getting titles wrong and offending different viewpoints has made us less "courteous" in the ettiquite department?

• Upvote 9

I recently got my last name changed officially after getting married last year and I LOVE being Mrs. New Last Name but I am a lot bigger on tradition and symbolism than most people. We are going to a black tie wedding next week and I am SO excited to be addressed formally. 

I was homeschooled growing up and certain people were just Mr/Mrs/Ms whoever. It was polite. That being said, when I went to Community College, the instructor usually just told you what to call them at the beginning of the semester. Usually it was just first name unless they had a doctorate, in which case you called them Dr. Lastname. I think I only had Mr/Mrs once? Just saying because someone up thread said something about calling CC instructors Professor, which I’ve never heard of and only did so in university. However, different colleges are different. 

Edited by BlondeIdol
  • Upvote 6

12 hours ago, Daisy0322 said:

I want to add while I enjoy being Mrs Daisy .... I HATE Mr. & Mrs. Husband first name Husband last name.  I have a name and my husband is not my identity. I would prefer Last Name Family  or even Mr and Mrs last name since that is both of us but why on earth would I go by my husbands first name? 

In the past  using the form: Mrs, husband's name, husband's last name meant the woman was married and her husband was alive however Mrs, her name, husband's last name meant the woman was now widowed. I am not sure what the names mean in today's world but in the past it did have a function of sorts.

• Upvote 6
  • I Agree 1
  • Thank You 2
  • Love 1

9 hours ago, LacyMay said:

I was wondering the same thing. Is this comparable with the type of internships that other first year law students would be doing? More/less desirable?

Is it possible that this is a work/study position? I.E. part of his financial aid package? Frankly, I'd rather have him doing some office work at his public, secular, law school than working for Duggar Enterprises, or some sort of right wing anti-gay cake baking group, or for a right-wing political campaign.  [like [shudder] Sara Huckabee Sanders running for Gov. of Arkansas, since the Duggars and the Huckabees go way back]

• Upvote 3
  • I Agree 3

Without knowing what Derick's actual job is, it's impossible to know whether it's helpful to his career.

I worked for a professor in my summer after 1L, but I went to a T14, and that sort of work was very prestigious, though not particularly well paid. However, he did introduce me to partners in the firm where I eventually got a job in NYC, it was on of the top 3 corporate firms in the country. Everyone that did research for a prof ended up in that sort of position, at least at the school I attended.

I'm not sure what "clerical" work he'd be doing to be honest, that sounds a bit weird. But then again I'm not sure what a law "clerk" would be doing at a law school over the summer either, unless he's in some sort of clerkship role with one of their legal clinics (I don't know if they have any but presumably they would).

• Thank You 8

7 hours ago, BlessaYourHeart said:

As far as I’ve come across in the UK. 

Miss - non married woman 

Mrs - Married woman 

Ms - Usually a divorcee still using previous husbands last name 

'Ms' is the equivalent of 'Mr' - it can be used by any adult woman. I've been Ms all my adult life, both as a single woman and married woman. It's the default title for a woman. I'm in the UK too.

• Upvote 12
  • I Agree 4

44 minutes ago, AtlanticTug said:

Without knowing what Derick's actual job is, it's impossible to know whether it's helpful to his career.

I worked for a professor in my summer after 1L, but I went to a T14, and that sort of work was very prestigious, though not particularly well paid.

I just had to look up what a "T14" is: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Law_school_rankings_in_the_United_States

• Upvote 2
  • Thank You 1

48 minutes ago, childerowland said:

'Ms' is the equivalent of 'Mr' - it can be used by any adult woman. I've been Ms all my adult life, both as a single woman and married woman. It's the default title for a woman. I'm in the UK too.

Maybe it’s a Northern Ireland specific thing then that as far as I’ve come across Ms is only really used for divorcee and sometimes widows (there have been exceptions of course).  Northern Ireland tends to be much more traditional/stuck in the past compared to most of the UK and married women that I’ve come across have always been referred to as Mrs. 

Then, perhaps it’s just a think where I live specifically 

• Upvote 2

15 hours ago, Daisy0322 said:

My mom and I hate a fight about this when I ordered wedding invites. As I was the only one who would likely get married (still true) - I wanted to include her in things that she might like. 
So when I got my invites done - it was MyDadsFirstName and MyMomsFirstName Waffle (as my parents) and then HIS parents invite you to the wedding of... blah blah.
She was LIVID. She wanted it to be Mr. and Mrs. MyDadsFirstName Waffle
I said "Nope - you're not listed on that."
She said "I am! I'm the Mrs.!" 
She pulled out an Emily post book (that she got for her wedding in 1966....) and swore up one side and down the other. 

Our wedding was not that formal. I mean - it was formal enough - but the only ones wearing tuxes were the groom and grooms attendants (including one of his best female friends who looked SMOKIN' in that tux).

• Upvote 12
  • Love 1

Ok bear with me, English is my second language... but reading through this conversation I realized I don't know the difference in pronunciating Mrs and Ms?

I would pronunce Mrs like ''Misiz'', but Ms?

Derick's job title is "Clerical Assistant III." The pay range is $10.54 min to $18.83 max (LINK). Unlike the systems I'm used to, Clerical Assistant III is actually higher than Clerical Assistant I. The description on the pay site is simply:

"Duties require independent judgement, including directing the work of subordinates and/or performing complex clerical duties. Tasks may involve interpretation of University policies or rules and/or administration of a project/program requiring specialized knowledge."

His job is definitely within the law school. Most of the other Clerical Assistants are also law students and the ones I could find seem to have just finished 1L, just like Derick. But some of the Clerical Assistant I people are not students and some just graduated, so that classification at least seems like it can be a year-round thing. I assume those who just graduated won't keep working a $10/hr job and just haven't fallen off the rolls yet.

• Upvote 3
  • Thank You 11

• samurai_sarah locked this topic