IGNORED

Dillards 78: Taste the Rainbow

Georgiana

On 7/13/2019 at 8:34 AM, marshmallow said:

Non-native speaker of English here. I am curious: when addressing a high school teacher as 'Miss' does that imply that she is not married? 

We were corrected in school a lot everyone was either miss if Unmarried or Mrs ifvthe were and I would've have never dreamed of calling an adult by their first name. I was burn in 1992 and went to public school for reference 

• Upvote 3
  • Thank You 1

I think Jill caught Derick at a weird angle while he was eating with his hands. One of those things where most people would think 'delete and try again' and Jill goes 'looks good, SEND'. 

Maybe Wreck has an internship but doesn't want to disclose where it is. Though I could be giving him too much credit, but it would be smart.

• Upvote 5
  • I Agree 4

12 hours ago, acheronbeach said:

Is he picking his teeth? Why would Jill post this picture?  His eyes are half closed FFS. Just because there's a momo is the photo, don't be disrespectful and tag this as "nepalifood"!

It's like whenever I think her IG can't be more of a goddamn mess she has to remind us. 

Edited by HarleyQuinn
  • Upvote 6
  • Haha 3
  • Love 1

I watched Jill's home tour video and her childlike voice and tone just reminded me of how young she really is again.

• Upvote 1
  • Confused 1
  • WTF 1

21 hours ago, finnlassie said:

The last school I had my placement at, the teacher of the class I was in had divorced over the summer break, and got snappy at the kids when they called her Mrs instead of Ms. Those kids were used to calling her Mrs for four years already! Like, give them a break, give them time to adjust. Don't just snap at them. Sheesh.

This just reminded me of a teacher I had who married a guy who happened to have the same last name over the summer, so she started the new school year as Mrs. rather than Ms.. And then it got awkward because a couple months later, he was killed in a car accident. She reverted to Ms. at that point and it basically became a huge faux pas to refer to her as Mrs.; fortunately, I think kids were sensitive enough to her loss that they rolled with it. Although maybe it helped that people hadn't fully adjusted to the Mrs. anyway.

(Happy ending: She went on to marry someone else within their circle and they're still together, decades later.)

• Sad 1
  • Love 9

If I ever were to teach in a school in the UK, I'd make the students use Mx Lastname, just because I think the whole Miss/Ms/Mrs thing is stupid. Why would a woman's title change just because she is married? Ideally, I would just have them call me by my first name, if that's allowed. At universities, everyone, regardless of their rank is known by their first name. 

In Denmark, people don't use last names. All teachers would be known by their first name. 

• Upvote 4
  • I Agree 2

2 hours ago, SorenaJ said:

If I ever were to teach in a school in the UK, I'd make the students use Mx Lastname, just because I think the whole Miss/Ms/Mrs thing is stupid. Why would a woman's title change just because she is married? Ideally, I would just have them call me by my first name, if that's allowed. At universities, everyone, regardless of their rank is known by their first name. 

In Denmark, people don't use last names. All teachers would be known by their first name. 

That's where the "Ms " comes in.   It doesn't indicate marital status, which is great for the person being addressed, since it's nobody's business, and for the person doing the addressing since you don't have to know if she's married or not. Mx. is good on paper,  but how do you say it?  Please excuse my ignorance,  Mx. is still very new,  at least to me.  

• Upvote 11

11 minutes ago, WarriorJane said:

That's where the "Ms " comes in.   It doesn't indicate marital status, which is great for the person being addressed, since it's nobody's business, and for the person doing the addressing since you don't have to know if she's married or not. Mx. is good on paper,  but how do you say it?  Please excuse my ignorance,  Mx. is still very new,  at least to me.  

I think it's just a matter of preference I like being Mrs. Daisy. I tend to associate Ms. with widows or older unmarried women. However I think you should just call people by what they prefer. There's nothing wrong with Ms. I just have a personal connotation with it from childhood. 

• Upvote 2

1 hour ago, WarriorJane said:

I can't pronounce Ms. I would pronounce Mx "mix". I feel like if women are married, they would choose Mrs. You don't hear Mr and Ms. 

• Thank You 2

17 minutes ago, SorenaJ said:

I can't pronounce Ms. I would pronounce Mx "mix". I feel like if women are married, they would choose Mrs. You don't hear Mr and Ms.  

The only place I can think of where Ms/Mr/etc still apply in Ontario are schools and I think the options for women are Mrs. or Ms. Pretty sure no one goes by Miss anymore.

Ms. is pronounced Mizz to rhyme with fizz.

Mix sounds like too many consonants in a row for me, but just my preference.

• Upvote 9

I'm married and do not want to be called Mrs. I won't be upset if someone does, but I really prefer Ms. (pronounced Miz)

I live in the midwest US, and I don't think any adults around here refer to each other formally, even when first meeting. I get interviewed a lot by student journalists, and sometimes they will call me Ms./Mrs. Other, but I always correct them with my first name. In college, by the time I got past the larger lecture classes and actually interacted with instructors, 95% of them went by first name. A handful wanted to be called Dr. or professor. 

RE: Jill's Voice - I didn't think it sounded young? It's hard to know how much a Duggar daughter is keeping sweet with her voice through "nurture" and how much is just her natural voice. Jessa's voice is in a lower register, but Jill seems to have a higher voice even when she's not actively paying attention to the camera. Jill is 28 with two children, she's no child.

• Upvote 9

2 hours ago, Daisy0322 said:

I tend to associate Ms. with widows or older unmarried women.

Really? I associate Ms. with the younger cohort in the US. 

• Upvote 4
  • I Agree 3

Teacher in Midwest. Married teachers are "mrs" and single or divorced are "ms". Hardly anyone tolerates "Miss". One teacher said to me that it made her feel like she was ten years old. 

I got married the summer before my last year of full time teaching. I had a ton of the same students and I changed my name (got to trade a common noun last name that people a) liked to make jokes about and b) insisted on making plural when it wasn't for a very pretty name). I attempted to use "Ms Married name" because replacing "miss" with "ms" and still using the latter as a way to distinguish who is single from who is married is just stupid. That was never the intent of "ms". The intent was to get rid of the distinction. 

Kids weren't having it. When they remembered not to use my previous name, they always used "mrs". Sigh....

• Upvote 6
  • I Agree 1

16 hours ago, AliceInFundyland said:

Due to new protocol my primary care provider is supposed to ask me for my full name and birthday every time I come in.

This is a silly process.

Silly process: agreed.

During a recent hospitalization, I'd been talking about the old show Dark Shadows with one of the nursing personnel. The next day, while giving me meds, she asked me to identify myself. I said, as the intro to the show used to do, "My name is Victoria Winters."... she laughed.

When my neurologist does it next time, I swear, I'm going to say, "My name is Inigo Montoya. You killed my father. Prepare to die." 

I'll write from the psych ward, ok? ?

• Upvote 1
  • Haha 35
  • Love 2

In high school, most of my female teachers were married and went by Mrs. but there were some Miss and Ms. While I'm not married, I personally prefer Ms. I like that it doesn't tell my marital status because in most circumstances, it is not necessary to know. Men don't show their marital status with Mr. so I don't feel it is necessary for a women to show her eithers. But to each their own.

In university, I was in the interesting situation of being an accounting major and a history minor. The professors for my accounting and other business classes tended to be more formal and most of them preferred to go by Dr./Professor Last Name. The professors for my history classes tended to be more casual and most of them went by their first name. 

• Upvote 5
  • Love 2

Derick is doing clerical work for the law school he’s attending.  Someone in another group posted his job listing and email address.  I think it was bad that his email address was posted, but it was and has subsequently been removed.  I don’t know how many hrs a week he works but don’t think he’s making bigly (fuck Trump) money.

• Thank You 11

I am married, but I go by Ms. in my professional work, because as others have previously noted, it’s not anyone’s business if I’m married or not.  I will correct people if they persist on calling me Mrs. but I don’t get upset about it.  I have no issue with being called Mrs. at the doc, my kids’ school, etc.  However, I still think of my MIL if I hear Mrs. Rex even though i’ve been married 22 yrs...lol.

• Upvote 10
  • I Agree 1

Even after 20+ years of marriage I still get freaked out being called "Mrs. C". Like seriously freaked out, like "who the fuck is that? Where's my MIL?". 

Don't ask why...we all know I have issues...

• Upvote 6
  • Haha 3
  • Love 5

6 hours ago, PlentyOfJesusFishInTheSea said:

The only place I can think of where Ms/Mr/etc still apply in Ontario are schools and I think the options for women are Mrs. or Ms. Pretty sure no one goes by Miss anymore.

I'm sure even now that it varies area by area, and even school by school. Both of my small humans who attended public school had teachers (2 for SH #1 over 4 years, 1 for SH #2 over two years) that went by Miss. 1 in a smaller district school board, the other 2 in the largest school board in the province. 

So did I when I was a kid, but I assume we are talking about teachers who are still teaching and kids who are still school age.

• Upvote 1

I'm married and will never use Mrs. if I can help it.  No one has addressed me that way yet, but I did tell my family at my wedding that I would continue to go by Ms. in formal settings.  But I didn't change my name either.  I don't think it's anyone's business if I'm married or not, and I really don't like being defined by being married.  I don't even wear my wedding ring most of the time.  

• Upvote 12
  • I Agree 4
  • Love 2

I use Ms. in professional settings, e.g. when writing emails to female coworkers I've never corresponded with before.

• Upvote 2

8 hours ago, PlentyOfJesusFishInTheSea said:

My son (age 6) goes to Ontario schools and all the kids I know call their teacher Miss. Sometimes even the guy teachers get called Miss. "Miss put my shoes on backwards" or "Miss says we're not supposed to..." Doesn't matter who is teaching really - they're all Miss.

• Haha 11
  • Love 2

9 minutes ago, Meggo said:

My son (age 6) goes to Ontario schools and all the kids I know call their teacher Miss. Sometimes even the guy teachers get called Miss. "Miss put my shoes on backwards" or "Miss says we're not supposed to..." Doesn't matter who is teaching really - they're all Miss.

Too cute! I'm a uni lecturer and got called Miss once. I'm a Dr!

• Upvote 6

Ms takes no period as it is not an abbreviation. I didn't like it when it was new because that bothered me; it seemed like a nothing word. But it grew on me. Only around here people mostly just use first names except in certain settings, like having car work or other appointments.

• Upvote 2

Just now, backyard sylph said:

Ms takes no period as it is not an abbreviation. I didn't like it when it was new because that bothered me; it seemed like a nothing word. But it grew on me. Only around here people mostly just use first names except in certain settings, like having car work or other appointments.

Oh man, really?  Pretty sure I've been doing it wrong. *grammar sob*

• Upvote 4
  • I Agree 1
  • Love 3

• samurai_sarah locked this topic