IGNORED

Gwen Shamblin 8: Not Smart Enough to Think

Coconut Flan

9 hours ago, AmazonGrace said:

Another way to say it is it is a choice of lifestyle, but you need to know a secret so that you do not waste your time… It is all or nothing.

No, it's not. Black and white thinking is a powerful and often used tactic of Gwen's. It's all or nothing, you're either with her or against her, 9 times out of 10 has no value. Gwen constantly hardlines her followers and it's disgusting. Forcing black and white thinking can actually change the way a person perceives the world and condition them to miss nuance:

In a 2016 study, Pomona college researchers found that participants’ perceptions of how someone was feeling changed depending on whether they were given black and white, or more fluid categories, to understand emotion. By conditioning you to see things in more binary terms, black and white thinking can become a self-fulfilling prophecy, making it even harder to perceive nuance.

Link:

https://www.talkspace.com/blog/black-white-thinking-ways-poisons-your-perspective/

• Upvote 9

48 minutes ago, SuperNova said:

No, it's not. Black and white thinking is a powerful and often used tactic of Gwen's. It's all or nothing, you're either with her or against her, 9 times out of 10 has no value. Gwen constantly hardlines her followers and it's disgusting. Forcing black and white thinking can actually change the way a person perceives the world and condition them to miss nuance:

Link:

https://www.talkspace.com/blog/black-white-thinking-ways-poisons-your-perspective/

This is so interesting. You are explaining something incredibly valuable to us here. I hope I am getting this right. Essentially, Gwen Shamblin Lara’s dogged insistance on her Remnant Fellowship cult members accepting her harsh all or nothing approach is actually changing their brains. Maybe this is part of why so few people in the group are able to see clearly what is happening to them there.

• Upvote 4

Edit: oops, just outed myself as not reading SuperNova’s link before I posted. What I said was literally in the second paragraph of the link.  Embarrassing ?

Edited by throwaway9988
  • Upvote 1

Oh boy. Here we go again. Wedding coming up on Saturday. Two 22-year-olds. Their required premarriage essays are full of the "I love to obey" and "I was such a loser until I came to Brentwood" garbage one always sees. The boy, Chase, blithers, "I praise God for Remnant Fellowship Church…and for Gwen Lara tirelessly laying her life down to pour out a teaching that makes life worth living!" This is truly retch-worthy.

http://remnantfellowshipweddings.com/williams-wedding/

• Sad 2
  • WTF 4

One thing I have been thinking about recently is the BITE model which is used to evaluate if a group is a cult. There are many points that apply to Remnant Fellowship. If you look under the Thought Control section, the first item is to instill black vs white thinking.

Another aspect that has been discussed at length in these threads is under Information Control: Dividing information into insider vs outsider and making everything us vs them. 

Link to BITE model https://freedomofmind.com/bite-model/

• Upvote 8

2 hours ago, NarcissismKills said:

Oh boy. Here we go again. Wedding coming up on Saturday. Two 22-year-olds. Their required premarriage essays are full of the "I love to obey" and "I was such a loser until I came to Brentwood" garbage one always sees. The boy, Chase, blithers, "I praise God for Remnant Fellowship Church…and for Gwen Lara tirelessly laying her life down to pour out a teaching that makes life worth living!" This is truly retch-worthy.

They are in a cult and they are marrying someone with the same last name. I doubt they are closely related since Williams is a common name. But it’s still weird. From the outside looking it, people will probably think they are related and getting married.

• Upvote 7

2 hours ago, NarcissismKills said:

I don't think any of these couples are writing their own testimony because the writing style is always the same. Granted, they all pretty much say the same thing but none of the voices are unique. 

• Upvote 8

Just now, SuperNova said:

I don't think any of these couples are writing their own testimony because the writing style is always the same. Granted, they all pretty much say the same thing but none of the voices are unique. 

Well I am assuming that they all get reviewed by leadership and suggestions are made....similar to how they review wedding vows and make suggestions. Also, inside Remnant Fellowship, there are so many phrases that are used and make it into members vocabulary which cause members to speak similarly.

• Upvote 8
  • Thank You 2

51 minutes ago, RFsurvivor said:

One thing I have been thinking about recently is the BITE model which is used to evaluate if a group is a cult. There are many points that apply to Remnant Fellowship. If you look under the Thought Control section, the first item is to instill black vs white thinking.

Another aspect that has been discussed at length in these threads is under Information Control: Dividing information into insider vs outsider and making everything us vs them. 

Link to BITE model https://freedomofmind.com/bite-model/

Thank you so very very much for this important information. I am so grateful for the link. On the same page I found another link to an article on how to help protect loved ones from these horrible BITE mind control techniques.

Tonight, the prisoners of Gwen Shamblin Lara's Remnant Fellowship cult are being forced to sit in that hideous fake church building and be broadcast while watching that same old Exodus tape recording about how they are all fat and they are all disobedient, ungodly people. It'spparticularly appalling that most of the audience has already seen this stupid video many times before. As I read the information you provided about mind control, I am slowly starting to get why these folks aren't running out of the building as fast as they can. They are being manipulated by a team of professional con men and women. I ernestly hope that at least one person tonight can honestly notice that they are bored to tears by the same old rubbish and will bolt to freedom.

• Upvote 6

They all eventually adopt the same verbiage. It’s a social signal that they are all playing by the cult’s rules and being “holy.” Then they can relax around each other and live happy little lives in the Remnant bubble, free from the ability to think critically or face the true shades of gray in the real world.  Anyone who doesn’t send those same social signals makes the rest of the cult uncomfortable and is obviously hurting the rest of the Remnant by “bringing sin into the camp.” Shun the nonbeliever! 

I remember being told many times by Gwen Shamblin on Saturdays (and frequently repeated by my parents at home) that if we didn’t feel a connection with the other Remnant saints and we didn’t feel like we belonged, it was actually because we were still sinning and self-focused, and that the cure was to get out of self and volunteer more and serve the Remnant so that we didn’t have time to focus on ourselves or to sin. 

Number one, no, I’m not going to play along with Gwen’s cult-controlling tactics of trying to take up all my time and personal relationships so that there is no room for anything outside the cult. I needed my time to get a good education and start a career so that I wouldn’t become a disgusting leech on society like her. 

Number two, when I go to the zoo I don’t feel the need to beat my chest and try to win the acceptance of the gorillas. I’d rather be an outer-circle Remnant member than adopt Gwen’s stupid verbiage just so that I could assimilate into the Remnant borg. As if being accepted by the holy Remnant members would be akin to winning some sort of prize? Lol. Bye, Felicia.

• Upvote 12

10 hours ago, throwaway9988 said:

They all eventually adopt the same verbiage. It’s a social signal that they are all playing by the cult’s rules and being “holy.” Then they can relax around each other and live happy little lives in the Remnant bubble, free from the ability to think critically or face the true shades of gray in the real world.  Anyone who doesn’t send those same social signals makes the rest of the cult uncomfortable and is obviously hurting the rest of the Remnant by “bringing sin into the camp.” Shun the nonbeliever! 

I remember being told many times by Gwen Shamblin on Saturdays (and frequently repeated by my parents at home) that if we didn’t feel a connection with the other Remnant saints and we didn’t feel like we belonged, it was actually because we were still sinning and self-focused, and that the cure was to get out of self and volunteer more and serve the Remnant so that we didn’t have time to focus on ourselves or to sin. 

Number one, no, I’m not going to play along with Gwen’s cult-controlling tactics of trying to take up all my time and personal relationships so that there is no room for anything outside the cult. I needed my time to get a good education and start a career so that I wouldn’t become a disgusting leech on society like her. 

Number two, when I go to the zoo I don’t feel the need to beat my chest and try to win the acceptance of the gorillas. I’d rather be an outer-circle Remnant member than adopt Gwen’s stupid verbiage just so that I could assimilate into the Remnant borg. As if being accepted by the holy Remnant members would be akin to winning some sort of prize? Lol. Bye, Felicia.

I feel that is the way it is even in “regular” churches too. Maybe not as legalistic as Remnant. I grew up Southern Baptist, and I can remember the theme of a youth convention I attended was “Not of This World.” The whole weekend was about being set apart from the worldly people. It was a confusing message—don’t hang around the sinners because you are holy and set apart, yet at the same time, witness to the sinners and bring them to Christ. ?‍♀️

• Upvote 9

I still don't quite know how to reconcile this  love with the genocide of Amalekian infants but I guess even Gwen cannot stomach bloodthirsty death cult every single Day 

Spoiler

Screenshot_20190711-144214.thumb.jpg.7f5033a7224b821dc10d50a43f72a086.jpg

• Upvote 3

1 hour ago, AmazonGrace said:

I still don't quite know how to reconcile this  love with the genocide of Amalekian infants but I guess even Gwen cannot stomach bloodthirsty death cult every single Day 

Hide contents

Screenshot_20190711-144214.thumb.jpg.7f5033a7224b821dc10d50a43f72a086.jpg

You're a rational person, so naturally Gwen Shamblin Lara's "devotionals" make little if any sense to you.

It was pretty insane yesterday when her "devotional" informed the Remnant Fellowship cult followers that.....(Gwen's words follow)

The key to love is ending your relationship with food....

So during the video from the Exodus series that was foisted on the congregation last night, Gwen gave extremely detailed instructions on exactly how to eat a bag of M&M's. And when the screening of this nearly 15-year-old video was over after an agonizing hour, it received a standing ovation. Heaven help those weak-minded sheep.

• Upvote 5
  • WTF 3

4 hours ago, NarcissismKills said:

Gwen gave extremely detailed instructions on exactly how to eat a bag of M&M's. 

I'm curious. What are the instructions for eating M&M's? 

• Upvote 4

1 hour ago, SuperNova said:

I'm curious. What are the instructions for eating M&M's? 

One at a time and let it melt in your mouth. I am serious. 

• Upvote 3
  • WTF 1
  • Haha 10
  • Love 1

Also, you are supposed to rate the colors and eat your favorite ones first. Gwen likes green but not blue.

• WTF 1
  • Haha 12

2 hours ago, RFsurvivor said:

So she's a sucker not a cruncher...  there are 2 types of people... she needs more suckers!!!

• Upvote 4
  • Haha 5

Gotta hand it to Gwen... not everybody would be able to create a cult around how to eat M&M's

• Upvote 9
  • Haha 4
  • Love 1

3 hours ago, NarcissismKills said:

Also, you are supposed to rate the colors and eat your favorite ones first. Gwen likes green but not blue.

I might be confused, but it seems like the green ones are the rarest color in the package.  Wasn't there something about them years ago, either people thought they were something other than just a plain m&m or something like that?

• Upvote 3

22 minutes ago, AmazonGrace said:

not everybody would be able to create a cult around how to eat M&M's

It just shows how far her congregation has fallen down the rabbit hole.  I can't imagine my preacher telling me how to eat something!  He tells me that Jesus loves me and how to understand God's Word.  Last time I checked, God doesn't talk about M&M's.  Not part of the Gospel of Jesus Christ either, JS. ?‍♀️

Edited by Insightful
added comment
  • Upvote 9
  • Haha 1
  • I Agree 1

52 minutes ago, AmazonGrace said:

Gotta hand it to Gwen... not everybody would be able to create a cult around how to eat M&M's

This is the same woman who made a biblical argument for Fritos. 

• Upvote 5
  • Haha 12

4 hours ago, RFsurvivor said:

Well, they melt in your mouth and not in your hand...

• Upvote 2
  • Haha 2

1 hour ago, Briefly said:

I might be confused, but it seems like the green ones are the rarest color in the package.  Wasn't there something about them years ago, either people thought they were something other than just a plain m&m or something like that?

I always heard they made you horny.

• Upvote 2
  • Haha 1
  • I Agree 3

2 minutes ago, WeirdHarold said:

I always heard they made you horny.

I never would’ve imagined seeing a random “Greg the Bunny Reference” here on this forum.

Edited by RFSurvivor_2

• Coconut Flan locked this topic