Gwen Shamblin 8: Not Smart Enough to Think

Coconut Flan

6 hours ago, AmazonGrace said:
  Hide contents

A Wonder-Filled Respect and Fear of the Lord

August 22, 2019

by Gwen Shamblin Lara

0 Comment

The fear of the Lord is the beginning of wisdom, and knowledge of the Holy One is understanding. Proverbs 9:10

By considering God with wonder-filled fear and awe, we will automatically find this wisdom and this knowledge of God, which is priceless! This fear of God is natural in the beginning of a child’s life if the parent encourages it from birth and does not suffocate this fear of God with their own selfish ambitions on this Earth. God had the Israelites live very simply in life, living in tents where the doors opened facing the Presence of God Himself in the Most Holy of Holies at the center of the camp in the Tent of Tabernacle. Imagine growing up in that way…waking up and facing God every day, with a family that is getting up and sacrificing to God first thing in the morning, worshiping Him and praying to God throughout the day, living simply, waiting for the word from Moses, which would give the direction from God, watching the fire at night to go to sleep knowing that this warm, loving protection was over each family and each tribe in that cold night…then sleeping in peace and waking to the precious cloud by day that kept them cool and protected them from the heat of the sun. How wise will be the children raised up in this atmosphere! What is more, in God’s genius, He rewards those who adoringly fear Him and give Him their love, time, respect and attention. Bottom line, those families who give their lives to this wondrous God will be rewarded.

Lots of things that seem anything but automatical to me are automatical to Gwen.

Today we learn that we should live in tents.

"we will automatically find this wisdom and this knowledge of God"

I wonder if "this wisdom" and "this knowledge" is akin to "this message" and "this place".

Edited by WeirdHarold
Extra quote deleted.
  • Upvote 4
  • Haha 1

Spoiler

True Wisdom

August 23, 2019

by Gwen Shamblin Lara

0 Comment

Wisdom is a wonderful reward, but this essential loving fear gives back so much more than just wisdom. The family, in fact, will have no needs if this loving fear is the true pursuit of the father and the mother and the children. It is the fountain of life…

But the eyes of the Lord are on those who fear him, on those whose hope is in his unfailing love. Psalm 33:18

The angel of the Lord encamps around those who fear him, and he delivers them. Psalm 34:7

He will have no fear of bad news; his heart is steadfast, trusting in the Lord. Psalm 112:7

This is beautiful protection! But there is even more than protection. There is long life, the fountain of life. This loving fear prolongs your days…

The fear of the Lord adds length to life, but the years of the wicked are cut short. Proverbs 10:27

Through love and faithfulness sin is atoned for; through the fear of the Lord a man avoids evil. Proverbs 16:6

The fear of the Lord leads to life: then one rests content, untouched by trouble. Proverbs 19:23

Humility and the fear of the Lord bring wealth and honor and life. Proverbs 22:4

This is insurance beyond insurance—no trouble, no fear, protection, a deliverance from evil, being given the fountain of life and the promise of a long life! What else could a mere mortal ask for? What more could a family need?

Today we learn that Gwen has no needs and you can't be evil if you're old.

• Upvote 2
  • WTF 3
  • Thank You 2

5 minutes ago, AmazonGrace said:

The family, in fact, will have no needs if this loving fear is the true pursuit of the father and the mother and the children.

More prosperity gospel. If you don't end up wallowing in worldly possessions like Gwen, then it is your own fault for not being as godly as she is. 

7 minutes ago, AmazonGrace said:

This is insurance beyond insurance—no trouble, no fear, protection, a deliverance from evil, being given the fountain of life and the promise of a long life! What else could a mere mortal ask for? What more could a family need?

Much like other cult leaders, Gwen is teaching that if you don't follow her rules you will be miserable. And if you are miserable while following her rules it is obviously your own fault. 

• Upvote 11
  • WTF 1
  • I Agree 2
  • Thank You 1

On 8/20/2019 at 8:07 AM, WeirdHarold said:

Once you deny the deity of Christ, all bets are off as to what you're going to say next.

I remember as a child in the SDA church reading and hearing taught that Jesus had all the same sinful tendencies that we do and his sinless life proved that living a sin free life was possible. Also that at some point Jesus would stop mediating before the Father for us and we had to be prepared to stand and give an account before God On our own. Truly terrifying stuff! I think Jesus not being divine preached in any form seems to be a hallmark of cults...

A drift here but SDA’s also believe they would be persecuted by “Sunday keeping Christians” and it was the mark of the beast to follow the mainstream  Sunday christians - esp once they got political power it would start end times. SDA’s are huge believers in separation of church and state - though with the Trump stuff. I am no longer SDA but  I’m kind of going back to my roots and think maybe evangelical mainstream Christianity is going to  help usher in the apocalypse. Fight with the (Trump supporting and Now Fox News watching husband on that stuff regularly) he thinks all the Evangelical leaders are following Gods will and I’m of the opinion they’ve pretty much sold their souls to the devil for political power and earthy gain with supporting Trump (among other things!). 

Back on topic - I think Gwen’s divorce disqualifies  her to give marriage advice and set herself up as an authority at all! That said - I was encouraged by church people to stay in an abusive marriage and overall I believe in grace and second chances for people but if you are preaching following lines of authority and submission - don’t ditch your husband for another man and still keep on saying what you’ve been saying! Others should have the same grace from Gwen that she expects of everyone else!

• Upvote 8

On 8/21/2019 at 8:51 AM, AmazonGrace said:

Today it almost rhymes and we learn that Gwen's children have no independent thoughts. 

Hide contents

Children will respect what you respect, and they will worship what you worship, and they will adore what you adore. If you are into self, they too will adore themselves in various ways

Mr. Briefly is still Southern Baptist.  I'm United Methodist.  The Briefly daughter is Pagan.  Sorry Gwen, you missed the target by miles and miles!!

@smittykins, I saw that informercial, or at least part of it.  I noticed it because of the comment about going down from a size 8, as if 8 was huge.

• Upvote 6

Today I went thrifting with my daughter. In the the book section of a Habitat for Humanity Restore was a copy of The Weigh Down Diet by Gwen Shamblin! It was an early hard cover copy. I did not buy it, even though it was only one dollar. I did share a few laughs over it with my daughter, who shares my love of snarking on fundies.

• Upvote 1
  • Haha 4

19 minutes ago, FeministShrew said:

Today I went thrifting with my daughter. In the the book section of a Habitat for Humanity Restore was a copy of The Weigh Down Diet by Gwen Shamblin! It was an early hard cover copy. I did not buy it, even though it was only one dollar. I did share a few laughs over it with my daughter, who shares my love of snarking on fundies.

I don’t blame you for not wanting to buy it. But I have made a pact to myself that if I come across one of these destructive fundie books in a thrift store, I’ll buy it and destroy it so no one else will ever set eyes on that particular copy. But chances are, it won’t even get sold. Her books aren’t popular anymore. 

• Upvote 11

8 minutes ago, JermajestyDuggar said:

I don’t blame you for not wanting to buy it. But I have made a pact to myself that if I come across one of these destructive fundie books in a thrift store, I’ll buy it and destroy it so no one else will ever set eyes on that particular copy. But chances are, it won’t even get sold. Her books aren’t popular anymore. 

I appreciate that considering I know of a few people who are now sucked into remnant because a family member found one of Gwen’s book at a bookstore. When @RFSurvivor_2 and I got rid of the various books, notebooks, folders of stuff, we made the books unsellable/unreadable and dropped them off at the dump. We did not want anyone to get sucked in due to us donating the books.  

• Upvote 10
  • Thank You 2
  • Love 3

My favorite antique malls are near there, so we usually end up in that area (about 45 minutes from here, in the northern part county I grew up in) at least once a month. Next time I'm near there I'll stop by & grab it for destruction.
I guess my reasoning today was I'd already spent too much money (part of it at the hospice-run thrift store, so it went to a good cause, at least!), & since that was my last stop I was trying to be good. Like saving that one dollar would make a difference! (like shutting the door after the horse is out of the barn, lol!).

• Haha 4
  • Thank You 2
  • Love 1

On 8/23/2019 at 12:28 AM, WeirdHarold said:

"we will automatically find this wisdom and this knowledge of God"

I wonder if "this wisdom" and "this knowledge" is akin to "this message" and "this place".

This procedure, this fear, this adoration, this relationship, this opportunity, this chance, this life...

Spoiler

A Real Relationship with The God of the Universe

August 24, 2019

by Gwen Shamblin Lara

0 Comment

Daily conversation about God is essential. Many verses point out that we need ears to hear…we need to listen, we need conversation, and we need to hear the Truth. This matters. Truth makes all the difference. Truth sets you free; it completely changes your life. Truth is essential in this procedure to obtain this holy fear and this loving adoration of God, and it is vital if we are to teach this relationship to our children.

This is about a relationship with God, but just the thought of a mortal being and an Immortal Being having the opportunity to build a relationship seems impossible. However, God in His Love allows each of us—a mere man, a mere woman or a mere child—permission to have a relationship with God Almighty. How could we neglect this great opportunity, this essential chance for life on Earth and life for eternity? This life of separating good and evil, starting with gaining a holy fear of God—which is the beginning of wisdom—is the most amazing life.

The fear of the Lord teaches a man wisdom, and humility comes before honor. Proverbs 15:33

• Upvote 1
  • I Agree 1
  • Thank You 3

23 hours ago, FeministShrew said:

I would have bought it because a) it would have benefited Habitat and b) it would have gotten it out of the hands of someone innocent of what it really is.  Then I would have used it for shredding practice and promptly put it in the paper recycling bin.

On 8/23/2019 at 12:21 PM, CherylV said:

I remember as a child in the SDA church reading and hearing taught that Jesus had all the same sinful tendencies that we do and his sinless life proved that living a sin free life was possible. Also that at some point Jesus would stop mediating before the Father for us and we had to be prepared to stand and give an account before God On our own. Truly terrifying stuff! I think Jesus not being divine preached in any form seems to be a hallmark of cults...

A drift here but SDA’s also believe they would be persecuted by “Sunday keeping Christians” and it was the mark of the beast to follow the mainstream  Sunday christians - esp once they got political power it would start end times. SDA’s are huge believers in separation of church and state - though with the Trump stuff. I am no longer SDA but  I’m kind of going back to my roots and think maybe evangelical mainstream Christianity is going to  help usher in the apocalypse. Fight with the (Trump supporting and Now Fox News watching husband on that stuff regularly) he thinks all the Evangelical leaders are following Gods will and I’m of the opinion they’ve pretty much sold their souls to the devil for political power and earthy gain with supporting Trump (among other things!). 

Back on topic - I think Gwen’s divorce disqualifies  her to give marriage advice and set herself up as an authority at all! That said - I was encouraged by church people to stay in an abusive marriage and overall I believe in grace and second chances for people but if you are preaching following lines of authority and submission - don’t ditch your husband for another man and still keep on saying what you’ve been saying! Others should have the same grace from Gwen that she expects of everyone else!

When we were attempting Fundy, Saturday as Sabbath was one of the things Mr. Briefly insisted on.  It's also one of the bigger things that caused problems in our marriage.  We were Southern Baptist at the time and were basically doing this on our own, but there is a 7th Day Baptist church although I don't think it's very big.  At any rate, it's one of the first things I would change if we could go back in time and have do-overs.

• Upvote 5
  • I Agree 2

Today we ramble a little about religious rituals involving Moses before we get to the point:  not eating is awesome!

Spoiler

Days of Awe

August 25, 2019

by Gwen Shamblin Lara

0 Comment

Twilight tonight begins a time known as the Days of Awe. These Days of Awe last for 40 days, and commemorate Moses re-ascending the mountain as a second chance to get the approval and the life-giving Ten Commandments and the Covenant with God. With the 40 Days of Awe, you have one level of repentance for the first 30 days, knowing that you have done wrong and listening to that Holy Spirit and looking inward. Then the final 10 days begin with the Day of Trumpets, which we will commemorate on September 28th. At the Day of Trumpets, God sounds the trumpet louder and it marks the beginning of the last 10 days leading up to the Day of Atonement, the Day of Forgiveness. This is an opportunity for the rejoining of the relationship with God, knowing that you have peace with God. The Day of Atonement is the day that Moses comes back with the answer and with the Covenant and the words for a successful marriage to God. We are to learn to be humble and not expect forgiveness, but to be appreciative of it so that there can be a great celebration on the Day of Atonement, which we will celebrate October 5th.  

During these Days of Awe, we are to be purging sin, and it goes deeper every day until this purging is so deep that you can on the final day easily do a complete fast away from anything that has been an indulgence for you. God also requires a fast from food on that final day for the healthy adults. With this type of introspection, looking inward, slowing down and thinking about exactly what God wants, I can testify that a fast is easier every year and that denial seems like nothing by that point. In fact, it is exciting to show God and show yourself that you can deny yourself and live for God alone. We welcome you to join us in this 40-day journey of purity for God!

• Upvote 3
  • Haha 1
  • Thank You 3

She says fasting is easier every year. I think she’s implying it’s due to spiritual reasons, but I think it’s easier because her eating disorder is more advanced. I wonder if she could do a “complete fast away” from her indulgence of Diet Coke?

• Upvote 8
  • Haha 2
  • I Agree 3

and the words for a successful marriage to God.

I wonder if she added the words "to God" to differentiate it from her marriage to husband #1. 

it goes deeper every day until this purging is so deep that you can on the final day easily do a complete fast away from anything that has been an indulgence for you.

I wonder what Gwen considers her own indulgence that must be "fasted away."  And of course she would end it with food deprivation talk.  Does Remnant Fellowship really push this for 40 days?

• Upvote 3

43 minutes ago, mhainlen said:

She says fasting is easier every year. I think she’s implying it’s due to spiritual reasons, but I think it’s easier because her eating disorder is more advanced. I wonder if she could do a “complete fast away” from her indulgence of Diet Coke?

I would love to see Gwen do a DC fast in real time. She would lose her shit.

• Upvote 3
  • I Agree 1

The fake Judaism is one of the worst aspects the Remnant Fellowship cult. Talk about cultural/religious appropriation.

• Upvote 7
  • I Agree 3

11 hours ago, AmazonGrace said:

Today we ramble a little about religious rituals involving Moses before we get to the point:  not eating is awesome!

Hide contents

Days of Awe

August 25, 2019

by Gwen Shamblin Lara

0 Comment

Twilight tonight begins a time known as the Days of Awe. These Days of Awe last for 40 days, and commemorate Moses re-ascending the mountain as a second chance to get the approval and the life-giving Ten Commandments and the Covenant with God. With the 40 Days of Awe, you have one level of repentance for the first 30 days, knowing that you have done wrong and listening to that Holy Spirit and looking inward. Then the final 10 days begin with the Day of Trumpets, which we will commemorate on September 28th. At the Day of Trumpets, God sounds the trumpet louder and it marks the beginning of the last 10 days leading up to the Day of Atonement, the Day of Forgiveness. This is an opportunity for the rejoining of the relationship with God, knowing that you have peace with God. The Day of Atonement is the day that Moses comes back with the answer and with the Covenant and the words for a successful marriage to God. We are to learn to be humble and not expect forgiveness, but to be appreciative of it so that there can be a great celebration on the Day of Atonement, which we will celebrate October 5th.  

During these Days of Awe, we are to be purging sin, and it goes deeper every day until this purging is so deep that you can on the final day easily do a complete fast away from anything that has been an indulgence for you. God also requires a fast from food on that final day for the healthy adults. With this type of introspection, looking inward, slowing down and thinking about exactly what God wants, I can testify that a fast is easier every year and that denial seems like nothing by that point. In fact, it is exciting to show God and show yourself that you can deny yourself and live for God alone. We welcome you to join us in this 40-day journey of purity for God!

Gwen Shamblin Lara is a Judaizer.  "a second chance to get the approval and the life-giving Ten Commandments"

Galatians 3:21 "...For if a law had been given that could impart life, then righteousness would certainly have come by the law."

• Upvote 5
  • I Agree 1

12 hours ago, smittykins said:

So this “Days of Awe” is a Remnant Fellowship thing?

No, it's a Jewish thing, but RF prides itself on following the Jewish holidays.

I don't know... I feel like it's a little hollow because it seems to me that they only do it half way... Purim fell on a Wed/Thurs and they celebrated it on Saturday. Don't get me wrong... I don't care that they celebrated it on Saturday... I actually wish more churches would call attention to the Jewish Holy Days... but if you're going to use the Jewish holidays as a selling point of why you're better and more holy than everyone, at least celebrate them properly. They use it as proof that they're being obedient to the Word, but I don't remember God saying to celebrate the holidays on specific days... unless they fall on an inconvenient weekday... then just whenever it works for you... but maybe I'm just being petty.

• Upvote 5

Today we learn that godly families have a strict pecking order and that Gwen likes to practice submission. (TMI! TMI!,)

Spoiler

The Example of Christ

August 26, 2019

by Gwen Shamblin Lara

0 Comment

He who fears the Lord has a secure fortress, and for his children it will be a refuge. Proverbs 14:26

For this loving fear of God to grow in our hearts, it is essential to adore Christ. Each family member practices all the characteristics of Christ as they learn about and apply God’s authority lines—the correct roles for the father, for the mother, for the son, for the daughter, for the eldest child and for the line of authority all the way up. We learn by practicing submission at home, sharing at home, loving at home, with the greatest respect for each individual there, and demonstrating all the fruits of the Spirit at home…love, joy, peace, patience, kindness, goodness, faithfulness, gentleness and self-control. (Galatians 5:22-23) If this is not done in the home, it will not be done outside the home. And if the family does not implement this, the whole Church suffers and will not be strong. It has to be taught and upheld in the home.

• Thank You 7

for the son, for the daughter, for the eldest child

Is the eldest child accorded some special authority?  And by eldest child, does Gwod mean eldest son?  I just don't picture all this submissiveness happening in the Shamblin/Lara household, but who knows...

• Upvote 3

• Coconut Flan locked this topic